Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Waste of Breath posted:

This was a thing in soul hackers and it was thematic but sucked. I'm 100% for it though if you can break your relationship social link and have Yukari just let you die out of spite

Instead of showing you take the fatal blow it just slowly zooms in on Yukari's face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
yall are masochists you know that

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Oxxidation posted:

oh man those trumpets in the iwatodai track are way too flat and way too far forward in the mix

hurts my ears

They sound really bad, yeah. The part around 0:45 in particular sounds loving awful, what were they thinking?

At least Unavoidable Battle sounds pretty decent.

edit: I think the main issue with the new Mass Destruction female vocals is that she's enunciating the words too clearly. And she goes "baybee" instead of "baybay."

edit2: It's criminal that the new Iwatodai dorm music no longer has the "COME ON GIRR LET ME ROCK YOUR WORRRLD"

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Jan 7, 2024

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist

Junpei posted:

yall are masochists you know that

Seriously

Not having direct control of party members was an interesting thematic idea, but it had the rather severe drawback of sucking totally and completely. It fights against any attempt to have tactics or meaningful decisions in combat. There’s no real reason to try and rehabilitate it. If you’re going to soften it or make it less stringent, you might as well just remove it (or at least make it optional), so it’s not surprising that Atlus did so.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

bravesword posted:

Seriously

Not having direct control of party members was an interesting thematic idea, but it had the rather severe drawback of sucking totally and completely. It fights against any attempt to have tactics or meaningful decisions in combat. There’s no real reason to try and rehabilitate it. If you’re going to soften it or make it less stringent, you might as well just remove it (or at least make it optional), so it’s not surprising that Atlus did so.

they could have used the ff12 gambit system

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
the game really isn't that hard. There's nothing wrong with the option of having direct control or AI for people who want it. No need to overreact.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

They sound really bad, yeah. The part around 0:45 in particular sounds loving awful, what were they thinking?

At least Unavoidable Battle sounds pretty decent.

edit: I think the main issue with the new Mass Destruction female vocals is that she's enunciating the words too clearly. And she goes "baybee" instead of "baybay."

edit2: It's criminal that the new Iwatodai dorm music no longer has the "COME ON GIRR LET ME ROCK YOUR WORRRLD"

I get the IDEA behind new Mass Destruction being a bit more low-key and ominous as it's the new ambushed encounter, but the frogs are pretty bad either way. And honestly, getting ambushed is so rare in this series that I won't necessarily get too sick of this one.

I do like the new battle theme though- that does go pretty hard!

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I don't mind AI controls because I'm good at games and also it adds personality to the characters 😜

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

i think the trumpets are the problem with like, almost the entire soundtrack and every new song or new version of a song's quality drops directly proportional to how much it uses the trumpets. they sound like the resident evil clown fart basement trumpets. Iwatodai is all trumpets so it's a complete trashfire, Mass Destruction has some so it's mediocre, Unavoidable Battle doesn't really use them so it's totally fine.

in this context the fact that full moon full life has like, exactly one trumpet toot in it has become extremely funny to me

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
the OP is pretty good so your theory holds water

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The trumpets aren't very good but It's Going Down Now is pretty good and it has trumpets, so I dunno about that theory.

Also it's not just the trumpets, I definitely have some problems with some of the guitar in Unavoidable Battle (as well as the drums, of all things).

e: listening to It's Going Down Now again, I'm starting to recognize the hallmarks of an Atsushi Kitajoh-rear end track. Parts of it sound straight out of Persona Q.

Arist fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jan 9, 2024

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Chieves posted:

I get the IDEA behind new Mass Destruction being a bit more low-key and ominous as it's the new ambushed encounter, but the frogs are pretty bad either way. And honestly, getting ambushed is so rare in this series that I won't necessarily get too sick of this one.

I do like the new battle theme though- that does go pretty hard!

I like the new one as well. It's mainly just the remixes of old tracks I dislike (except for Unavoidable Battle which seems fine, as someone else mentioned)

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Arist posted:

The trumpets aren't very good but It's Going Down Now is pretty good and it has trumpets, so I dunno about that theory.

Also it's not just the trumpets, I definitely have some problems with some of the guitar in Unavoidable Battle (as well as the drums, of all things).

e: listening to It's Going Down Now again, I'm starting to recognize the hallmarks of an Atsushi Kitajoh-rear end track. Parts of it sound straight out of Persona Q.

Non-trumpet stuff has some issues here and there but they're mostly minor enough that I'll get used to them, and they aren't uniform. yeah, the guitar in UB definitely isn't as good as it was in the original but it's not actively offending my ears. The trumpets were really core to a lot of tracks in the original, though, and the key point is that they are uniformly terrible. Like, I can't find a reload song with good or even passable trumpets. They're all bad enough to seriously mess with the song.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The vocals in the new Iwatodai dorm are also pretty bad (and also changed lyrics for some weird reason). And to a lesser extent the new Mass Destruction vocals.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
If the other personas on pc are anything to go by, replacing the music won’t be too rough. And in like three years there will be a full P3P mod so we can play as the true protagonist.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Your Uncle Dracula posted:

If the other personas on pc are anything to go by, replacing the music won’t be too rough. And in like three years there will be a full P3P mod so we can play as the true protagonist.

That's a good point. As a PC player I'll probably be able to replace things myself.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKaeAFqaO08
0:24 lol everyone in the club is just frozen motionless with their arms in the air instead of dancing. Guess they are already feeling the effects of Apathy Syndrome.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

okay that's a little bit too persona 5-y

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It's really not. The only game in modern Persona that hasn't done this style of main menu is, well, Persona 3 (and 4 Golden, kind of)

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

I get why they changed it, but this picture really highlight that the new armbands just don't work for me.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
Fusing personas always stress me out. I rarely understand if I’m getting a good trade out of them cuz I still don’t know what the whole of the map looks like yet

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

^^^ At least if it's 5R you don't really need to worry about it, since you'll have more than enough money to freely resummon from the compendium (and the compendium removes any risk of permanently losing a good persona).

Arist posted:

It's really not. The only game in modern Persona that hasn't done this style of main menu is, well, Persona 3 (and 4 Golden, kind of)

Yeah, I was going to comment on it being like Persona 5, but I completely forgot that Persona 4 did the exact same thing (it actually resembles that a bit more than 5 IMO).

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Arist posted:

i forgot the persona 4 title screen looked like that because it completely changes as soon as you press a button to get to the actual menu, i only remembered the part where it's the main character's silhouette running in place because i was always impatiently mashing buttons while the game was loading

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Yeah it feels more like the glasses from 4 than the masks from the original version of 5 imo

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Item Getter posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKaeAFqaO08
0:24 lol everyone in the club is just frozen motionless with their arms in the air instead of dancing. Guess they are already feeling the effects of Apathy Syndrome.

That's the style they've gone for for a bit, it allows for the illusion of a crowd while making it easy to spot anyone actually relevant. (And is probably way less taxing in development terms.)

I liked Tokyo Mirage Session's weird multicolored look the best.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

virinvictus posted:

Fusing personas always stress me out. I rarely understand if I’m getting a good trade out of them cuz I still don’t know what the whole of the map looks like yet

One thing Reload will almost certainly fix is the absolutely hosed rates for pulling Personas from the Compendium from FES. At level 50 they start costing about 100k.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

P3R has a metric shitload of changes to basically everything.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Hel posted:

I get why they changed it, but this picture really highlight that the new armbands just don't work for me.

they use the old ones at the beginning of the game and i would assume they'd be available as a costume option throughout after they stop being the default

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

It's so weird seeing a remake for one of my favorite games and thinking "I would do basically everything different, if I were in charge"

Or more pessimistically, "I don't like it"

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Meowywitch posted:

It's so weird seeing a remake for one of my favorite games and thinking "I would do basically everything different, if I were in charge"

Or more pessimistically, "I don't like it"

honestly it's a bit surprising to me that that this hasn't happened to you before by now, they have made a lot of remakes in the past few years and many of them have been either actually bad or at the very least different enough to annoy people who really liked the originals.

As far as this one goes: I have to see what they do to the story, because there are certain changes I'm afraid they might make and some of them would be downright unforgivable. Everything I've seen from the gameplay has been either fine or, at worst, understandable(fatigue was always getting cut, thematic or not). The music is extremely hit or miss but I'm playing on PC anyway so that's a day 1 mod for the worst offenders. Story changes are going to be make or break.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

P3 is one of my fav games ever and I think it looks pretty good outside the music covers being kinda whatever. The original music is good so that balances it out for me.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

A lot of my biggest problems with Persona 3 are structural so I don't find it terribly likely that Reload could even attempt to address them.

There's a part of me that does want to play it, but that's mostly out of curiosity rather than any genuine excitement.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arist posted:

A lot of my biggest problems with Persona 3 are structural so I don't find it terribly likely that Reload could even attempt to address them.

There's a part of me that does want to play it, but that's mostly out of curiosity rather than any genuine excitement.

I think it depends what about the structure you disliked.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Arist posted:

everything i have seen so far suggests the same basic story structure so if your problem was just that the overarching plot has long periods of downtime then i suspect that will not change

they have most likely added a lot more stuff to do so that those periods of downtime are more interesting, though, so if it was purely boredom rather than just being unwilling to put up with that kind of pacing then maybe it'll be better for you this time

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
https://www.rpgfan.com/feature/persona-3-reload-hands-on-preview/

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I feel like theurgy is a pretty cheugy name for a super meter

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

No Mods No Masters posted:

I feel like theurgy is a pretty cheugy name for a super meter

every name for a super meter that isn't super meter or limit break is just an exercise in deliberately not calling it a super meter or a limit break

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I can't think of any actual super meters that just call their super meters 'super meter'. And I think Limit break is exclusively a Final Fantasy thing (and even then not all that often.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Theurgy is just another word for divine magic.

Hellioning posted:

I can't think of any actual super meters that just call their super meters 'super meter'. And I think Limit break is exclusively a Final Fantasy thing (and even then not all that often.)

Street Fighter just had a flat super bar.