Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple on pizzadog derangement syndrome

Sapozhnik posted:

technical person thinking very hard: hmm, now how should I solve this social problem...

building nontraceability into protocols is in fact a useful thing to do. While social problems can never be completely solved by technology, inappropriately designed technology can absolutely exacerbate them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

rotor posted:

exacerbate

mystes
May 31, 2006

exacerbate?

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

mystes posted:

exacerbate?

exacurbate

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

exabate

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
thats just gooning

mystes
May 31, 2006

exbibate

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

The Long Honk

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

extra-masturbate

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Endurance Cranking

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
like, 5 social problems total have been solved in the last quarter-millenium. "ooh it's a social problem not a technical one" is a dour fate, to be justly feared

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

rotor posted:

Endurance Cranking

endurocranks

HEIC: high-endurance interval-cranking

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

A good technical solution to many social problems is recurring direct deposits to everyone’s postal banking account.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Wayne Knight posted:

A good technical solution to many social problems is recurring direct deposits to everyone’s postal banking account.

nobody wants to work anymore

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

rotor posted:

Endurance Cranking

exponential jackoff

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

nobody wants to work anymore

I sure don’t. My 100% paid parental leave is almost up and I want to retire now.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Wayne Knight posted:

I sure don’t. My 100% paid parental leave is almost up and I want to retire now.

ive got 2 months left on mine, i feel ya

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

quote:

For personal reasons, I do not browse the web from my computer. (I
also have not net connection much of the time.) To look at page I
send mail to a demon which runs wget and mails the page back to me.
It is very efficient use of my time, but it is slow in real time.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

i used to have the same kind of setup for archiving websites

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
oh hello, richard

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

it was nice and i every now & then i think about bringing it back.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i think you'd need something to actually render the page these days so that you could get anything even remotely usable out of it.

reams of scripts and a half-page of content would be a pain to parse

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

post hole digger posted:

exponential jackoff

oh this is a good insult

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

infernal machines posted:

i think you'd need something to actually render the page these days so that you could get anything even remotely usable out of it.

Not if it’s all Gemini capsules

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

yeah thats probably true

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Armitag3 posted:

how about anime eyes face computer

i mean there's that fuckin' holographic anime virtual assistant thing that costs like $3000, you could get one of those

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

rotor posted:

yeah thats probably true

imagine rendering a page to a bitmap then OCRing it, just to be able to get usable text out of a website.

this is the future we've built

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

lol. lmao.

guess who posted:

Because copyright today covers virtually every sort of human expression—including blogposts, photographs, forum posts, scraps of software code, and government documents—it would be impossible to train today’s leading AI models without using copyrighted materials
Training AI models using publicly available internet materials is fair use, as supported by long-standing and widely accepted precedents

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

you tell me how the plagiarism machine is supposed to work without plagiarism fuel, wise guy

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

our commercial product deriving value from your IP is fair use, because we said so and because it only works if we steal everything we can find.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
reminds me of that buttcoin middleman trying to figure out the right words to explain to his bank that he wasn't subject to AML controls because he was technologically incapable of complying with them

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

rotor posted:

i used to have the same kind of setup for archiving websites

This is really just the ancestor of having a yt-dlp container that auto downloads your playlists to your NAS, which i have all set up (separate lists for computer video, space video, kpop video, kpop audio via music.youtube) so, yeah, gently caress, i guess i'm richard god damned stallman now

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

if they really wanted to win this fight theyd adopt the language of social justice:

People who care about copyright and intellectual property are intellectual landlords, who demand rent in the form of attribution and compensation. licensing is literally rent seeking.

post hole digger fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jan 10, 2024

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

raminasi posted:

reminds me of that buttcoin middleman trying to figure out the right words to explain to his bank that he wasn't subject to AML controls because he was technologically incapable of complying with them

iirc it was monero or something and he had been acting as an unlicensed money transmitter with no records whatsoever.

dude was turbofucked

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

post hole digger posted:

if they really wanted to win this fight theyd adopt the language of social justice:

People who care about copyright and intellectual property are intellectual landlords, who demand rent in the form of attribution and compensation.

please don't give them ideas.

they won't properly attribute them

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

iirc it was monero or something

if you start researching Epyc builds - as i did last month - before long you will start getting recs for videos by Monero miners and those guys are the W O R S T

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

This is really just the ancestor of having a yt-dlp container that auto downloads your playlists to your NAS, which i have all set up (separate lists for computer video, space video, kpop video, kpop audio via music.youtube) so, yeah, gently caress, i guess i'm richard god damned stallman now

i'm sorry you had to find out like this.

just try not to eat anything off your feet, okay? and avoid parrots

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

if you start researching Epyc builds - as i did last month - before long you will start getting recs for videos by Monero miners and those guys are the W O R S T

it's kind of amazing that we managed to create an even more insufferable finance bro.

truly innovative

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

do tell