Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

WarpedLichen posted:

Cast on crit is pretty sweet, and it feels pretty good as a payout when everything falls your way. It kinda sucks that sometimes it just falls apart though (only good purple is magic or bad triggers suck).

I'm trying to go for a Cinder 16 win and it feels like most runs fall apart really quick - anybody got some class recommendations?

It feels like any character without a good weapon on floor 1 is a giant pain in the rear end to play - maybe just grind alchemist?

I did three in a row with barbarian, starting with dice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Is there a trick to unlocking the Gunslinger?
Just get a gun/launcher and upgrade it at a blacksmith to level 4, without using items like whetstones or gun parts, right?

My luck with finding guns and smiths at the right time is abysmal even though I'm Paragon 3 and have unlocked quite a lot.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Inzombiac posted:

Is there a trick to unlocking the Gunslinger?
Just get a gun/launcher and upgrade it at a blacksmith to level 4, without using items like whetstones or gun parts, right?

My luck with finding guns and smiths at the right time is abysmal even though I'm Paragon 3 and have unlocked quite a lot.

Gun parts are OK (and necessary, unless you stumble into one of the special blacksmiths.) There are equipment items that passively grant plusses to whatever weapons you use, that's what the achievement is saying don't count.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Cider 16 down - used Alch and lucked out on my early legendary with the Seraphim bow.

Bosses were an absolute nightmare, I think I only no hit 2 bosses out of 12.

In particular want to say a gently caress you to the Battery + Glaive Enchanted Walrus.

Also gun parts are ridiculously expensive, so I'm not sure if I'll ever get the +7 gun achievement if +upgrade items don't count.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

WarpedLichen fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jan 9, 2024

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

WarpedLichen posted:

Cider 16 down - used Alch and lucked out on my early legendary with the Seraphim bow.

Bosses were an absolute nightmare, I think I only no hit 2 bosses out of 12.

In particular want to say a gently caress you to the Battery + Glaive Enchanted Walrus.

Also gun parts are ridiculously expensive, so I'm not sure if I'll ever get the +7 gun achievement if +upgrade items don't count.

Cyborg has a +3 passive for the achievement

faantastic
Dec 31, 2006

that dude.

Just picked this up and the game is great, however I am having an issue where my cloud save is not working. I bounce between my work/personal PC during the day and for whatever reason the cloud save is creating two different sets despite initially working. Searched and saw similar issues but no real work around that didn't involve downloading from the cloud / deleting old files which inevitably I will mess up and lose everything.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Trying to unlock Chaos and Esper is driving me loving insane. I've had a ton of great runs with Dop and Depraved but get almost no LAW rooms. I've had two today where no LAW rooms spawned at all.
Thank god the game is fun anyway.

What's the point of Paragon levels? Kinda annoying you can't unlock the whole tree and have to swap things but I guess it's not a huge deal.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Man, I don't see how unarmed is just viable. I had a Cyborg run where I got the +100% unarmed range talent on my first level up and even then the range was unusably short on many bosses. I had to switch to a str scaling gun instead.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Beta testing for next update has begun: https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/2088570/view/3984063305573313446

tldr:
  • A lot of bugfixes
  • 2 new postgame room rewards
  • New damage type: Nature
  • Mana rebalance/refactor, including items and consumables
  • Companion buffs
  • 3 new resins
  • Massive Soul Scarf nerf
  • Reworks to several starting gifts
  • New magic-find mastery along with balance changes to masteries

This is supposedly 50% of what will become the 2.2 patch.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Isn't Nature already an explicit damage type? There are weapons that deal nature damage and talents that trigger based on dealing nature damage.

There are incredibly few of them though so expanding it to more weapons/talents would be cool.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jan 10, 2024

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
I definitely saw Mystic not doubling charm stats, hopefully this fixes it!

quote:

Flasks now take 2 seconds to drink, up from 1.5 seconds. I think it was a bit too easy to flask mid-combat and I want to entice you to try out the drink speed meta perk.
I always play with the "1 heart, empty flasks" cinder upgrade and even then I will never not take +1 bonus flask lol

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Flasks are already the absolute bottom tier when it comes to ways to improve your overall health so sure let's toss in another reason they suck.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

Flasks are already the absolute bottom tier when it comes to ways to improve your overall health so sure let's toss in another reason they suck.

yeah that's super weird to me. i figured being able to chug one in combat is about the only benefit of flasks but i guess that's too much too :iiam:

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I ran into the "corruption caps out at 51" thing today when I was trying to kill Death with a not great weapon. I figured 51 was a number that had some deep significant meaning.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
That's just bizarre. How mich value does he think players are getting out of mid-combat drinking? Like consider the value that a flask speed bonus gives you vs basically anything else in game. It doesnt hurt me or anything its just so funny to see because so much of the game is so on point.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

deep dish peat moss posted:

Isn't Nature already an explicit damage type? There are weapons that deal nature damage and talents that trigger based on dealing nature damage.

There are incredibly few of them though so expanding it to more weapons/talents would be cool.

I think the change is now that it counts as an explicit elemental damage type which matters for a few items and perks.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I guess hearts are a little better than they used to be, now that you can pay the bonfire and/or the tavern nurse to get them all back. I still feel like they're weak compared to armor/block/evade though. So yeah, I don't really get the nerf.

Make it so armor repair powder gives 1-2 armor back instead of fully restoring it, and they'd be on a much more even keel.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Yeah, it seems bizarre to me cause how often do you even get to heal with a flask? It seems like a lot of characters don't even have health to take hits with in the first place.

Also bizarre on mana because it takes so much work to keep up a measly +20% damage now when you're getting +40% for free from stuff like the Alignment charms.

WarpedLichen fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jan 10, 2024

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I guess hearts are a little better than they used to be, now that you can pay the bonfire and/or the tavern nurse to get them all back. I still feel like they're weak compared to armor/block/evade though. So yeah, I don't really get the nerf.

Make it so armor repair powder gives 1-2 armor back instead of fully restoring it, and they'd be on a much more even keel.

Yeah, you ideally don't want to reach to your heart healths, that's the value of armor, shield, evade, etc. Once you reach your hearts, you basically only can get 1 more error (from 2 to 1 hear) with most classes before dying. So you don't want to reach that point. And if you don't reach that point, you are not really using the flasks, and with this change, the soul scarf goes from very OP (it needed a nerf, yes...) to now be the worst item of the bunch, because you if you layers of armor, soul hearts, shield, etc, you won't reach the point of losing hearts, so the soul scarf won't do anything.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

SKULL.GIF posted:

I think the change is now that it counts as an explicit elemental damage type which matters for a few items and perks.

Playing on the Beta now - it doesn't count as Elemental damage (that would have been cool) but it now has its own affliction called Nettles, which increases the effect of debuffs on the target by 50%

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
There's a lot more sources of hearts these days (not just campfire, a bunch more heart items got added in 2.1.) If you're facetanking tons of damage you still want armor + block but it's quite reasonable to wind up with regular hearts as your primary defense, you shouldn't need that many to give you a pretty safe margin.

I still lol at the idea of flask drinking speed mechanics though.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The new infusions are Poison Damage, Nature Damage, and Mana Drain.

The mana drain one isn't nearly as useful as it sounds, it adds +0.2 mana drain which is cool in theory but any Infusion-based build is going to end up with an absurd amount of attack speed so your mana only lasts for like 1-1.5 seconds of firing, and then stopping firing to let your mana recharge hurts your damage more than just firing another 20 non-mana-enchanted shots in the same timeframe. I guess it would be good if you get lots of bonus mana

The poison/nature ones are cool except it's just added power to what is already one of the strongest builds in the game. IIRC this change came about because of a couple players in Discord complaining that Transcendence "feels bad" to take because there are only 3 infusions and once they get all 3 they "get nothing more" out of the talent but like... it's already absurdly strong with 3, you're already getting a bunch of +flat damage that easily procs Harmony for you!!

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jan 10, 2024

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I dunno about balance stuff, what you said seems right... But more infusions are cool because infusions are cool and i like them :')

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Ok I didnt read the notes. Nu soul scarf (only gives soul heart when you refill a heart) does actually encourage you to go into flask drink speed. It's still a potentially powerful accessory given that it doubles your flask value but it removes basically every abusive line you can take with it. I like the change.

Nature infusion makes perma infusion best trait in game probably.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Transcendence wasn't really that amazing, though. Yeah, if you find a mega machinegun then you can laugh maniacally as you swiss cheese everything but adding ~150 flat damage per shot didn't really do much for most builds. Getting guaranteed shock was a pretty decent perk but if you had another source of lightning damage it wasn't really doing much for you. Even if you pick up Harmony a +50% boost is just kind of above average, not amazing or run-defining and certainly not enough to carry 2 perks. The poison infusion doesn't really do anything that you couldn't do with the starting gift anyhow and the base damage on the nature infusion is way below the curve.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
You can already get a poison infusion that you can make permanent btw, it's one of the starting gifts. Just hold onto it until you get the perm infusion perk.

I wonder how much faster Druid's starting weapon is gonna shred bosses with the nature damage update.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

the holy poopacy posted:

Transcendence wasn't really that amazing, though. Yeah, if you find a mega machinegun then you can laugh maniacally as you swiss cheese everything but adding ~150 flat damage per shot didn't really do much for most builds. Getting guaranteed shock was a pretty decent perk but if you had another source of lightning damage it wasn't really doing much for you. Even if you pick up Harmony a +50% boost is just kind of above average, not amazing or run-defining and certainly not enough to carry 2 perks. The poison infusion doesn't really do anything that you couldn't do with the starting gift anyhow and the base damage on the nature infusion is way below the curve.

It's not just a flat +150 damage, it's a flat +150 base damage that scales with most sources of increased damage (everything outside of weapon scaling afaik) - things like mana, crit, or increased damage charms increase that 150 damage even further. And it all scales with the number of times you hit in a game where weapons that hit more times are generally better. It turns most weapons into boss-deleters.

Auras are a stronger version of the same thing, but require using 3+ perk slots (3 auras + optional increased aura size) instead of 1 to build around. Auras + Transcendence is just laughable overkill if you can manage it.

e: It could just be a playstyle thing though because I always favor weapons that hit more times per second over weapons that do more damage per hit just so I can pay less attention to where I'm aiming.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jan 10, 2024

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

e: It could just be a playstyle thing though because I always favor weapons that hit more times per second over weapons that do more damage per hit just so I can pay less attention to where I'm aiming.

You're not wrong, I just find that weapon drops don't always pan out for Transcendence to shine. There are plenty of other avenues to breaking the game that Transcendence doesn't do anything for, like Steady Strikes or DoT-based builds.

Maybe I'm just bitter because every time I take the poison jar to try to go for MAXIMUM TRANSCENDENCE I always wind up stuck with something no better than like, a moderately fast bow that fires 3 arrows and yeah it will get the job done but it doesn't melt any faces. However, if you are a loving dumbass like me and venture into discussions elsewhere you will see a lot of complaints about "this game is too hard, most of the traits suck except Transcendence" which does tell me that a lot of people are not having much success slam picking Transcendence.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
just beat amon in seconds using a blue quality single shot bow that i got on floor 1

the pig is powerful

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

the holy poopacy posted:

You're not wrong, I just find that weapon drops don't always pan out for Transcendence to shine. There are plenty of other avenues to breaking the game that Transcendence doesn't do anything for, like Steady Strikes or DoT-based builds.

Maybe I'm just bitter because every time I take the poison jar to try to go for MAXIMUM TRANSCENDENCE I always wind up stuck with something no better than like, a moderately fast bow that fires 3 arrows and yeah it will get the job done but it doesn't melt any faces. However, if you are a loving dumbass like me and venture into discussions elsewhere you will see a lot of complaints about "this game is too hard, most of the traits suck except Transcendence" which does tell me that a lot of people are not having much success slam picking Transcendence.

Wouldn't that suggest that those people *are* having some sort of success slam picking Transcendence and not having as much success picking other things?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I think a lot of my luck with weapons comes from almost always playing classes that start with a bow or crossbow and using the meta talent that makes starting weapon type or class more common. As far as I can tell the same weapon can't drop twice in a run so you eventually dry up the pool of bad bows/crossbows and get one of the good ones.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Kanos posted:

Wouldn't that suggest that those people *are* having some sort of success slam picking Transcendence and not having as much success picking other things?

Not if they're still finding the game harder than people who aren't talking about Transcendence being the only trait worth picking.

I think a lot of my luck with weapons comes from almost always playing classes that start with a bow or crossbow and using the meta talent that makes starting weapon type or class more common. As far as I can tell the same weapon can't drop twice in a run so you eventually dry up the pool of bad bows/crossbows and get one of the good ones.

Ah, yeah, that might do it. I basically put that tree out of my mind because I usually don't try to force builds.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Hm, I'm curious about that because I have seen the same armor multiple times. Started with the Thief Hood, sold it, saw it again in a shop.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Kuros posted:

Hm, I'm curious about that because I have seen the same armor multiple times. Started with the Thief Hood, sold it, saw it again in a shop.

The game will go out of its way to try to complete item sets for you, which does seem to override its preference for not repeating items. One time the game gave me no fewer than 4 detective coats because the hat was the only item I'd found for that slot and I kept selling the coats.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

the holy poopacy posted:

The game will go out of its way to try to complete item sets for you, which does seem to override its preference for not repeating items. One time the game gave me no fewer than 4 detective coats because the hat was the only item I'd found for that slot and I kept selling the coats.

I also saw the Sea Urchin twice in the same black market today. Two vendors were selling it at the same time.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

the holy poopacy posted:

I don't think that's true, at least given the trouble I have completing the Doom guy set (but only when I have the all ranged weapons count as close range trait). It seems like Set items have a hidden rarity that affects when they show up?

Anyway, I finally beat the game with all characters and this is my rough impression with all of them based on their passive and their starting equipment:

S
Alchemist - solid starting kit and can almost guarantee a legendary weapon fairly early on (just need keys). Since weapons are about all you need, this class is almost RNG proof. Even if you get a bad weapon, you can reroll it next floor. Then you get free potions every so often just as a cherry on top.

Pirate - the passive is a bunch of good buffs that ramp up with levels, beating bosses, and floors. But the kicker is starting with the Parrot which is companion with +20% magic find that you can use all game. Just really solid.

A
Demon Slayer - good starting equipment which is very hard to swap out, you'll probably replace both. Your accessory gives +25% damage to fiends but you need to keep your hood on to make everything a fiend. The tainted rewards are pretty good, but the fiendish enemies can actually be really hard early on.

Hero - slow start, but +4 luck if you can get good shops is insane. You can tell I really value luck.

Mystic - passive is a bit jank and doesn't work on things it should work on, but like pirate you start with +20% magic find from the charm + passive.

Barbarian - dual axes are an ok weapon and scaling hard with strength is fun. Can really high roll if you get the 2x strength trait.

Necromancer - insane damage scaling from souls and a starting with companions is really fun.

Super Hero - even slower start than hero because you only have fists but the super trait can be really strong. If you are playing 16 cinder and you can't see your first trait, this guy plummets. Strong candidate for +5 exp mastery.

Esper - slow start, but psionic traits are really good, especially the luck one, did I mention I love luck? The gun companions are also really good. You start with damage buffs to companion equipment so you're hoping your bear can crush things early (and he can). Another strong candidate for the +5 starting exp mastery.

Cyborg - another weak start, you get lasers with your fists but they're still kinda bad. Cyborg traits also aren't as universally good as psionic traits imo. But some of them are real bangers.

B

Paladin - really strong defensive start with full paladin set, but the passive tapers off later - will usually be +120 - 160 radiant damage which is just ok. Can't complain but weaker scaling than classes in A rank.

Thief - my personal favorite class, you start with thief set so you never need keys (as long as you don't change equipment). Passive ain't bad either. Might be stronger than Paladin honestly.

Samurai - good starting weapon and passive is really fun. Barely does anything in rooms but is better the harder the game is - it pops for a good amount of damage and when you can't hit enemies consistently it will save your bacon.

Druid - druid summons are quite good - just getting all 3 is +4% damage from wolves, +25 carrying capacity, and +10% move speed. Starting weapon is also pretty fun

Wizard - you get a ton of mana stars from passive and starting equipment. This might actually have a higher top end but is a bit limiting build wise. Strong candidate for mastery to force magic weapons.

Gunslinger - passive is kind of hard to build around but strong. If you get the +dex to lucky hit trait you really go off to the races though. Starting weapon is also pretty good.

Soldier- intimidate is strong but even harder to build around - two handed melee weapons only. Intimidate is strong enough to make it worth it, but you really need the mastery to force them to appear to be consistent with this guy.

C

Ranger - solid starting equipment but defensive passive is kinda meh. But bows are a consistent weapon class to build towards so he's still pretty solid.

Sorcerer - another defensive passive that can potentially become really strong offensively, but I wouldn't count on it. Just your basic magic class

Warrior - actually probably the best passive for the starting classes, but melee weapons are the weakest of the three

Ninja - cool, but shadows didn't seem to deal all that much damage, don't last all that long, and I dislike using my stamina offensively. At least ninja star is a good floor 1 weapon

Jester - see Ninja, but worse

Dragoon - passive is really feast or famine, but starting equipment is quite good. This guy might be better than the starting classes, but I didn't hit when I played him, so he's down here.

Bandit - a small trickle of gold is very meh. The current mastery makes it easy to get big money with the +gold on sale/+shops are more expensive and +stacking gold per sale masteries so the gold he earns is even less relevant. Floor 11 and 12 don't have any ways to spend money, so it kinda sucks unless you get some money scaling from items. Consider running the items cost less and sell for less mastery on this guy to maximize his usefulness, but the best uses of money (tavern, slot machines, blacksmith) don't get discounted so its often better to get your money from selling items anyway. Starting crossbow is ok.

Chaos - you can rng into the better classes?

Wanderer - events as a whole aren't that good so guaranteed event isn't a standout. Boomerang is also a bad weapon.

Pyromancer - passive is barely anything and limited to magic weapons, starting equipment is also worse than sorceror

Cleric - starting equipment is awkward and if you need the passive, it's not saving you anyway most likely

Knight - another worthless passive and strength focused.

D

Dancer - lucky hits don't do much by themselves and effectively does almost nothing unless you get lucky. Rhythm set is ok, but chakrams are garbage.

Monk - another class that I didn't hit with, just didn't get any of the body traits and effectively did nothing.

Doppleganger - you can play another class with 1 max health? I wish the enhanced passive part stayed but I guess it was too hard to work out for every class.

Bard - songs are garbage. Starting weapon is garbage. Starting equipment is discount on shops and gold per tavern, which is also garbage.

Deprived - supposed to be hard? Curses are really really bad and the improved room results don't make up for it. There are items to support a cursed build, but even with the Devil Set this guy didn't feel very good.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

WarpedLichen fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Jan 11, 2024

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

WarpedLichen posted:

I don't think that's true, at least given the trouble I have completing the Doom guy set (but only when I have the all ranged weapons count as close range trait). It seems like Set items have a hidden rarity that affects when they show up?

It's not guaranteed and IIRC the dev has confirmed that there is an internal set item rarity, but it definitely does happen. See also: me finding the same set item 4 times in the same game because I had the match for it.

I broadly agree with those tiers, but I will note that ninja and jester get vastly better if you manage to grab Swagger. Ninja does fine even without it since you can pop a couple clones right at the start and still get your dodge back by the time you actually need it, but jester is just dire without some form of dash trigger (also has one of the worst starting weapons.)

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Duplicate items are only supposed to happen with charms (which CAN benefit from duplicates -- no other item can). Anything else is a bug and will be quashed in the near to long term.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

WarpedLichen posted:

S
Alchemist - solid starting kit and can almost guarantee a legendary weapon fairly early on (just need keys). Since weapons are about all you need, this class is almost RNG proof. Even if you get a bad weapon, you can reroll it next floor.

I tried rerolling a legendary weapon and got a pop-up warning me not to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Hero also starts with an armor that gives +10% damage per good alignment, so honestly he should probably be in S tier.
Though I guess he's not the strongest early on.