Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

antipattern
Nov 8, 2019

Well it's going to help with their green transition. Green as in free of ice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

if the sea surface temperature is so warm why is there all this readily accessible cocktail ice floating in it

checkmate libs

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

we are loving dead

https://phys.org/news/2024-01-bottled-hundreds-thousands-previously-uncounted.html

For the first time, they counted and identified these minute particles in bottled water. They found that on average, a liter contained some 240,000 detectable plastic fragments—10 to 100 times greater than previous estimates, which were based mainly on larger sizes.

The study was published in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

Plastics in bottled water became a public issue largely after a 2018 study detected an average of 325 particles per liter; later studies multiplied that number many times over. Scientists suspected there were even more than they had yet counted, but good estimates stopped at sizes below 1 micrometer—the boundary of the nano world.

The new study uses a technique called stimulated Raman scattering microscopy, which was co-invented by study co-author Wei Min, a Columbia biophysicist. This involves probing samples with two simultaneous lasers that are tuned to make specific molecules resonate. Targeting seven common plastics, the researchers created a data-driven algorithm to interpret the results. "It is one thing to detect, but another to know what you are detecting," said Min.

The researchers tested three popular brands of bottled water sold in the United States (they declined to name which ones), analyzing plastic particles down to just 100 nanometers in size.

They spotted 110,000 to 370,000 particles in each liter, 90% of which were nanoplastics; the rest were microplastics. They also determined which of the seven specific plastics they were, and charted their shapes—qualities that could be valuable in biomedical research.

One common one was polyethylene terephthalate or PET. This was not surprising, since that is what many water bottles are made of. (It is also used for bottled sodas, sports drinks and products such as ketchup and mayonnaise.) It probably gets into the water as bits slough off when the bottle is squeezed or gets exposed to heat. One recent study suggests that many particles enter the water when you repeatedly open or close the cap, and tiny bits abrade.

However, PET was outnumbered by polyamide, a type of nylon. Ironically, said Beizhan Yan, that probably comes from plastic filters used to supposedly purify the water before it is bottled. Other common plastics the researchers found: polystyrene, polyvinyl chloride and polymethyl methacrylate, all used in various industrial processes.

A somewhat disturbing thought: the seven plastic types the researchers searched for accounted for only about 10% of all the nanoparticles they found in samples; they have no idea what the rest are. If they are all nanoplastics, that means they could number in the tens of millions per liter.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

SixteenShells posted:

just tow the glacier there

I say it would be more energy-inefficient to airlift it. Doing so would help create extra glacier chunks to be sold to further help Greenland transition to a greener (in dollars) future

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I bet that glacier water, if handled properly, is also free of plastic stuff. Why drink lovely and dangerous current era water when your water can come from a million years old chunk of ice?

I bet there is also some million year old air trapped in there for the true connoisseurs .

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

move aside, microplastics. nanoplastics are the new hotness

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

quiggy posted:

[guy who wants to help Greenland in its green transition] i got a great idea: let's ship glacier ice to the UAE

uncritically categorizing a cartoonishly wasteful extravagance as "part of the green transition"

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

trucutru posted:

I bet that glacier water, if handled properly, is also free of plastic stuff.

lol not only are there microplastics in glaciers, the plastics are making the glaciers melt faster

https://eos.org/opinions/microplastics-hidden-contribution-to-snow-melting

https://www.mdpi.com/2071-1050/13/8/4183

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

this is why I drink beer from glass bottles

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

biceps crimes posted:

move aside, microplastics. nanoplastics are the new hotness
always has been, though it's often interchangeable

microplastics are more likely a large culprit for the 5000000% rise in millennial rear end-cancer rates as they get lodged in intestinal tracts and are well documented to be cell-inflammatory. nanoplastics are more likely to be a culprit for endocrine/hormonal/brain disrupting issues

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
that's great

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
without plastics how would you even drink water

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Hubbert posted:

[The company] has now committed to becoming fully carbon-neutral, and once the supply chain has been established and Arctic Ice’s carbon footprint calculated, all excess emissions will be calculated and compensated for, either through carbon capture and storage, or through emerging technologies that suck CO2 out of the air.

:blessed:

i'll drink to that

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Xaris posted:

always has been, though it's often interchangeable

microplastics are more likely a large culprit for the 5000000% rise in millennial rear end-cancer rates as they get lodged in intestinal tracts and are well documented to be cell-inflammatory. nanoplastics are more likely to be a culprit for endocrine/hormonal/brain disrupting issues

how do i get a colonoscopy early? say my dad had colon cancer or some poo poo?

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Mola Yam posted:

that's great

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
You can find PFAS and microplastics across the Arctic snow, sea ice, seawater, barren land masses and at the bottom of the ocean.

They're everywhere.

We did it!

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

There is plastic at the bottom of the ocean
Under the water, carry the water

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Trabisnikof posted:

lol not only are there microplastics in glaciers, the plastics are making the glaciers melt faster

https://eos.org/opinions/microplastics-hidden-contribution-to-snow-melting

https://www.mdpi.com/2071-1050/13/8/4183

That's regular chronologically recent snow and ice. Until microplastics discover how to travel back in time (which somehow they will) the million year old glacier of good stuff is safe for our Emirati friends to drink.

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

A reminder to all my friends here: donating blood and especially plasma can reduce your pfas and presumably plastic levels.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8994130/
For the bolder ones: receiving blood will take you into the future faster.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

err posted:

Tell your doctor you lost over 15% of your body weight not on purpose.

I legitimately did so I got a colonoscopy last month. going from 150 to 130 over like 4 months is a bit scary.

turns out I was just barely eating because of my allergies making me miserable so im seeing an allergist but it was a nice to know that everything is all good down there.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

err posted:

family history, weight loss, blood in stool/very thin stool

you can pretty easily lie about the stool bc thats between you, your toilet, and god.

i got a colonoscopy this year. my fam has a lot of history with that poo poo and i came out in the clear. alcohol is probably the biggest factor.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Scarabrae posted:

I have some bad news about the undersides of bottle caps,

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

cat botherer posted:

I have some bad news about the undersides of bottle caps,

you 🤫

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
give me all the plastics, I will live forever!

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:
A rat done bit my sister Nell.
(with Whitey plastic wrapping the moon)

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Xaris posted:

getting insanely triggered by plots of standard deviation

I had this discourse with myself already but then I thought "well it's not the worst way to emphasize non-linear trends"

just deal with it.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

uguu posted:

A reminder to all my friends here: donating blood and especially plasma can reduce your pfas and presumably plastic levels.

wow, i can make money and rid myself of toxins? i love market solutions

Communist Cop
Jun 29, 2023

uguu posted:

So Peter Thiel is basically turning himself into Plastic Man, lol that owns

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

mdemone posted:

I had this discourse with myself already but then I thought "well it's not the worst way to emphasize non-linear trends"

just deal with it.

yeah yeah but still i can be mad about some computer dope using stdev() in excel and misapplying what it actually means

imo just the temperature or deltas speak for themselves, seems goofy but w/e, it's not a battle im going to win. ill deal

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

err posted:

how do i get a colonoscopy early?

I've got a webcam on a stick, PM me

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
let a trillion nanoparticles bloom

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Homeless Friend posted:

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Homeless Friend posted:

okay done

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

trucutru posted:

That's regular chronologically recent snow and ice. Until microplastics discover how to travel back in time (which somehow they will) the million year old glacier of good stuff is safe for our Emirati friends to drink.

they're collecting sea ice out of the ocean, plenty of opportunity to get microplastics in there

Hit Man
Mar 6, 2008

I hope after I die people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

[Biosphere Collapse] As long as one drop of the oil exists, the joyous work continues

Hit Man has issued a correction as of 01:02 on Jan 10, 2024

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Scarabrae posted:

The filtration systems that deliver the clean water for brewing deposit several types of plastic

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

an X/X colorless horror? but Maris spent so much on that new blusher

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004

TACD posted:

an X/X colorless horror? but Maris spent so much on that new blusher

good joke. audience laughs

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

A somewhat disturbing thought: the seven plastic types the researchers searched for accounted for only about 10% of all the nanoparticles they found in samples; they have no idea what the rest are. If they are all nanoplastics, that means they could number in the tens of millions per liter.

lmao that loving rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

plastics make it pissable