Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Skunkduster posted:

I understand the importance of due process and making sure that everybody gets a fair trial. If were talking about an adult that kidnapped and literally butt hosed an 8 year old child many times, is there a point where defense attorneys will draw the line between "this is a good career move for me" and "I'm not touching this with a 10 foot pole"?

Until there's a trial you don't know that dude did anything.

For all you know this weirdo vigilante cop, who apparently made recorded statements that he was a pedophile, raped this kid then tried to frame some other random dude for it.

That said even if the dude did it if he doesn't have competent representation defending him his conviction will get thrown out on appeal and he will be back on the street. If you want to lock him up, you have to give him a fair trial. A competent defense attorney is part of a fair trial. If you want to put people behind bars you have to make sure they have competent defense attorneys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

I know there was a big issue here in the Lower mainland recently regarding defense lawyers and how they defended their client.

Summary:
Child A is raped and murdered in a local park while walking with headphones in her ears.
Suspect is arrested later and charged with murder.
DNA on the victim was matched to the suspect.
Defense used the “she wasn’t that innocent” defense, suggesting it was consensual sex and someone else murdered the victim.
Suspect was convicted.

This ended with the Child’s father bringing a loaded gun to the courtroom and multiple threats against the defense lawyers and their families.

So… I know defense lawyers have a duty to defend. But that defense is just hard to comprehend as a lay person when something so heinous as that happens. They didn’t even deny the DNA evidence. So it came across a lot like victim blaming, and idk, how often does that actually work these days?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

ChickenDoodle posted:

I know there was a big issue here in the Lower mainland recently regarding defense lawyers and how they defended their client.

Summary:
Child A is raped and murdered in a local park while walking with headphones in her ears.
Defense used the “she wasn’t that innocent” defense, suggesting it was consensual sex and someone else murdered the victim.
Suspect was convicted.

This ended with the Child’s father bringing a loaded gun to the courtroom and multiple threats against the defense lawyers and their families.

So… I know defense lawyers have a duty to defend. But that defense is just hard to comprehend as a lay person when something so heinous as that happens. They didn’t even deny the DNA evidence. So it came across a lot like victim blaming, and idk, how often does that actually work these days?

Forcing the state to comprehensively prove that there was no consent (neither possibly nor factually) and the defendant was in fact the murderer.

I mean, is that a pretty stupid line of defence? Absolutely, I would never try that poo poo and in fact it would in my case be borderline an ethics issue to bring up irrelevant arguments (if they argue the impossible) that are offensive (and therefore may bring the profession in to disrepute). That said defence attorneys even if they are poo poo at their job are given A LOT of leeway because they are in fact the state's evidence of the defendant having received a proper defence.

Seriously, none of these examples you are bringing up are these terrifying mind shattering revelations that stoke our indignant rage. I've barely done defence work compared to some law goons and I have seen some poo poo and had ugly upsets. Terrible things happen all the time and child sexual abuse isn't at all uncommon in the criminal courts. If you can't handle getting real close to horrifying poo poo and still doing a good job, you need to switch fields. You cannot as a defence attorney be part of the reason someone is convicted.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

ChickenDoodle posted:

Summary:
Suspect was convicted.

From a forensics point of view known samples would have to be taken from both the victim (K1) and the suspect (K2). Getting the sample from the suspect usually requires a warrant but sometimes they willingly cooperate or police bully them into it. Then you compare those samples from the unknown samples taken from the victim (U1 -> U#). If for example K1 matches U1 and K2 is also seen then that mixture would match both individuals. That match would prompt you run the probabilities and figure out the likelihood that the unknown sample could have been anyone else. Usually this is in the duodecillions so it almost certainly couldn't be anyone else. This is pretty hard to attack from what I've personally witnessed. Usually I get called to quibble with their experts over signal thresholds, noise in the data, instrument calibration, protocols, instrument maintenance, proficiency testing of the person performing the analysis. Mixtures are also pretty complicated because once you go more than 3 people involved the data becomes difficult to interpret in the first place.

The funniest thing I've seen is an attorney in fayette county PA dance around the term "in-breeding coefficient" because the jurors might be a bit sensitive to the idea of in-breeding.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Very early in my career I thought I wanted to do criminal defense. Then my firm represented a guy charged with possession and distribution of CSAM. I investigated whether there was some way what the client claimed was true, that his computer (ie Kazaa) accidentally downloaded the CSAM without his knowledge. I had to look at the evidence (at the DA’s office) to “test the validity” of the charges, ie that this was in fact CSAM.

I’ve never done criminal defense since. So you see, some lawyers do in fact have a moral compass.

(He ended up pleading no contest)

Phil Moscowitz fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jan 9, 2024

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Sometimes you go to trial with the arguments you have not the arguments you want.

That said, I will say i personally have never had to defend cases where victims were juveniles. A family member works in an office that helps prosecute specifically those cases so I was conflicted out of all of them.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jan 9, 2024

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

joat mon posted:

Cross examining an alleged sexual assault victim who is a child loving sucks

Christ, gently caress those interviews. Over here we handle them in a special safe house thing controlled by the police and it's a therapy service building basically. Judge, prosecutor and defence counsel is in a seperate room viewing on cameras and a specially trained child psychologist who is also a police officer conducts the interview. Both sides submit their questions to the judge who controls the process, and nixes any off questions. The police interviewer also advises on probable avenues and gauges how well the child is handling questions, and can also refuse certain questions.

It's an ok system that is minimally traumatic, but it's no kind of real cross. That said in the vast majority of cases it's just stony silence, the police interviewer needs (and sometimes gets) days to build a relationship up to the point where they start answering.

poo poo is depressing to remember. Glad I work for the real bad guys now (the government).

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Skunkduster posted:

I understand the importance of due process and making sure that everybody gets a fair trial. If were talking about an adult that kidnapped and literally butt hosed an 8 year old child many times, is there a point where defense attorneys will draw the line between "this is a good career move for me" and "I'm not touching this with a 10 foot pole"?

Why are these the points that need a line drawn between them? You make it sound like you think lawyers believing everyone deserves a defense is some kind of fig leaf nobody really takes seriously.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
SANE nurses get it pretty bad too when it comes to cases involving children. I don't know how people do that job long-term.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

What if Hitler actually had a trial and needed a lawyer

:godwin:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

... I thought that was what Nuremberg was for?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I believe everyone deserves a defense but a vigorous defense shouldn't involve an insurance company shill saying poo poo that's literally false and distorting facts to the point of them becoming lies in order to defend his client. But it seems like you probably have to do that since the upside is sometimes getting your client off or at least reducing damages and the downside is apparently maybe a little pride when the judge tells you to quit being a stupid piece of poo poo but no real repercussions.

Like the consequences for violating motions in limine and poo poo shouldn't be the judge saying "loving quit it" they should be fines payable to the opposition or something.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Skunkduster posted:

Not to be a downer, but this isn’t like a super rare thing that’s only happened in a foreign story and is huge news etc. etc. It’s happening every day, lawyers are actively prosecuting and defending this every day. Look at the sex offender registry near you. Most of the people on there are not there for peeing on the side of the road or whatever their story is.

I was going to list the crimes of the 25 offenders within 3 miles in my parents’ rural town, but it’s too depressing. But eye-opening if you haven’t done it.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
I think you guys are thinking of defense attorneys as people whose only job it is is to keep defendants from being convicted.

That's not really their job. The overwhelming majority of defendants are definitely absolutely guilty and their lawyer knows it.

Part of the job is to make the State do their job, not just to protect the Rights of this particular defendant, but all the innocent ones who's rights will keep them from being wrongfully convicted in the future. It's so that we never start summarily deciding who gets a defense and who doesn't, because if we get there, then nobody will get one.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Also if you don't have defence lawyers then you don't need a trial, and that means you don't need prosecutors, and if you don't need defence lawyers or prosecutors then that's a lot of lawyers out of a job.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Thank you all for the very well thought out answers. To a layperson like me, it has been a very informative read.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

Alchenar posted:

Also if you don't have defence lawyers then you don't need a trial, and that means you don't need prosecutors, and if you don't need defence lawyers or prosecutors then that's a lot of lawyers out of a job.

Truly the most righteous of reasons.

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

He would have gotten a much better lawyer than a lot of people currently on death row or life sentences in the US did. His successor, Admiral Doenitz, got a good enough lawyer that he was able to win against most of the charges against him and got only a ten year sentence. Notably, the Allies tried to prosecute him for engaging in unrestricted submarine warfare, and his lawyer was able to argue essentially 'that's also what the US Navy did, how can you charge me for it?".

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

Skunkduster posted:

Thank you all for the very well thought out answers. To a layperson like me, it has been a very informative read.

Same, thank you all.

Just to add, the general consensus on the situation was “we understand why the victim’s family feels that way, but holy poo poo how did he get a loaded gun into a courtroom?!” They’re installing metal detectors now.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

blarzgh posted:

Part of the job is to make the State do their job, not just to protect the Rights of this particular defendant, but all the innocent ones who's rights will keep them from being wrongfully convicted in the future. It's so that we never start summarily deciding who gets a defense and who doesn't, because if we get there, then nobody will get one.

I have some very bad news for you about the correlation of someone's wealth with the effectiveness of their defense.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Why are these the points that need a line drawn between them? You make it sound like you think lawyers believing everyone deserves a defense is some kind of fig leaf nobody really takes seriously.

Reminds me of the deeply stupid The Escape Artist miniseries which is about a lawyer getting a murderer declared innocent, but then the murderer thinks that his lawyer thought he did it, so stalks him and murders his wife. So the lawyer's rival takes on the case and wins it, but doesn't think he's innocent either and is just doing that to gently caress with the lawyer, so the murderer then starts stalking and trying to kill her as well.

VplDyln
Oct 24, 2022
Quick backstory: my dad was sick, I quit my job and came back home to take care of him, he died two months later. Now I'm stuck in his house with mounting bills and utility shutoffs looming.

I just received a letter from the probate attorney to name me as administrator. I am very confused about the surety bond. Do I purchase it personally; does the attorney set it up? I've been reading for a few hours now and I am thoroughly confused. I have zero dollars to my name.This is in CA if that helps. Thanks in advance.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Skunkduster posted:

To add in an answer from another perspective, we help the public perception problem by having what's called the cab-rank rule. The rule is that if you are a barrister and some approaches you to represent them, you can only say no if you genuinely can't do it because you're too busy or don't have the right expertise. You can't say no just because you don't like the person or their case.

This means that everyone (who can pay) can obtain representation and also no one can think badly of the barrister for taking on the case (although in practice people are stupid so it still happens).

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014

VplDyln posted:

Quick backstory: my dad was sick, I quit my job and came back home to take care of him, he died two months later. Now I'm stuck in his house with mounting bills and utility shutoffs looming.

I just received a letter from the probate attorney to name me as administrator. I am very confused about the surety bond. Do I purchase it personally; does the attorney set it up? I've been reading for a few hours now and I am thoroughly confused. I have zero dollars to my name.This is in CA if that helps. Thanks in advance.

Ask your attorney if they can advance costs and get reimbursed at closing for the real estate sale. If they can't, ask if they can administer the estate instead. If you call the local probate court, they can provide you a list of bondsmen who provide surety in your area.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

What's a good gift for a defense attorney who did a good job for you? (besides paying him his fee)

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

spacetoaster posted:

What's a good gift for a defense attorney who did a good job for you? (besides paying him his fee)

Not a defense attorney, but I still have the only three "Thank you" cards I've ever received from hundreds of clients that I got a good result from. Just knowing that you appreciate them is enough.

Also we're all a bunch of drunks so booze usually hits the spot.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Organza Quiz posted:

This means that everyone (who can pay) can obtain representation and also no one can think badly of the barrister for taking on the case (although in practice people are stupid so it still happens).

We take it a step further in that in very nearly every single case, a licensed attorney is expected to be able to perform as a defender, and if chosen by the defendant is obligated to do so paid for by the state (fixed rate which sucks), unless the case is so complex it threatens the quality of the defence in which case they may bring on extra defence counsel. Only very rarely might the judge let them off this duty.

Dopilsya
Apr 3, 2010

spacetoaster posted:

Commit another crime so you can give them the gift of job security

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

spacetoaster posted:

If it's a pd, the best present is not getting arrested again (and if you do, the best present is not talking to cops)

If he was a private atty alcohol is good and referrals are better.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Seasonal baked goods

Let them write their own google review for you to post. "This attorney is the John Wick of defense counsel!"

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Card and booze. Got it.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

This is obviously baloney, right? The idea of a tree owning itself is ludicrous because in the eyes of the court, trees have no agency. So this is all just wishful thinking, or some sort of tall tale that townies spread?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

null_pointer posted:

This is obviously baloney, right? The idea of a tree owning itself is ludicrous because in the eyes of the court, trees have no agency. So this is all just wishful thinking, or some sort of tall tale that townies spread?

Yeah.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

null_pointer posted:

https://www.visitathensga.com/things-to-do/attractions/the-tree-that-owns-itself/

It is true that the tree is deeded to itself. Technically the legality of the tree owning that 64 sq ft plot of land has never been challenged, so as of now, that tree owns itself. I can't see the tree necessarily winning in litigation, but you'll also piss off the entirety of Athens, GA if you sued to claim that land.

It's legally binding as long as the city of Athens collectively agree that it is, which will probably continue as long as there is an Athens, GA. I could see any successful challenge of ownership of the land stymied by city action such as designating it as a historical landmark if it is not already legally protected in such a way.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

:nice:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

You set up a tree trust (treest)

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
Gotta trust the tree trust to win in court though. If you cut it down who's going to sue you? Some stupid squirrel? I could beat a squirrel in any contest including in court.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.

BigHead posted:

I could beat a squirrel in any contest

Says person who has never encountered an angry squirrel in a confined space

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Nice! posted:

It's legally binding as long as the city of Athens collectively agree that it is...

which, in a way, is all laws everywhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
It also helps to think of laws/rights/duties like "schroedinger's cat" where they don't exist until observed, or in this case, adjudicated in some fashion.

It may be illegal for me to poke my neighbor with a stick in the same way the tree owns the land, but until there is some state action related to that right, like a civil suit, its all prospective. Laws are transactional, they exist as the fulcrum for competing interests, and only exist when those competing claims meet.

Sometimes clients or potential clients will say something like, "but they can't do that, its illegal." and my response is "they just did, though."

So, yes, the tree "owns itself" in every sense until some entity with the power to challenge that concept actually does so.