Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_33jpVI4Hys

lol they're just declaring whole parts of Toronto "Jewish neighbourhoods", that nearby protests (downtown) "target".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
Zellers is where me and my friend went to steal Micro Machines and Lego , because the aisles were so cluttered with garbage that nobody noticed. All my affection for the store is directly proportional to how easy it was to shoplift from it.

I'm all for somebody trying to recreate that experience.

Was there a Zellers II in Winnipeg? I don't remember it

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟
I think Jewish people should be allowed to live in any neighborhood in Toronto they want

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
that's kinda funny, i was discussing something related with a friend of mine, who is jewish, but non-practising, and she said that while there are plenty of neighbourhoods with significant jewish populations, most of them aren't in any sense "jewish neighbourhoods"

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟
I didn't even know the Zellers revival thing was a thing until I went to The Bay in Pacific Place mall and the basement of the Bay where Topman used to be now sells a bunch of Zeddy crap

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Karach posted:

they were pop-up shops in the bay stores

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Frosted Flake posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_33jpVI4Hys

lol they're just declaring whole parts of Toronto "Jewish neighbourhoods", that nearby protests (downtown) "target".

This is Jesse Brown Thought

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

infernal machines posted:

that's kinda funny, i was discussing something related with a friend of mine, who is jewish, but non-practising, and she said that while there are plenty of neighbourhoods with significant jewish populations, most of them aren't in any sense "jewish neighbourhoods"

Bathurst and Lawrence is the Jewish neighborhood

The number of Orthodox Jews there is ridiculous. Every apartment building has a Sabbath elevator.

I don't care to watch that video long enough to see what neighborhood they're claiming is Jewish. Probably something that was 40 years ago

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Frosted Flake posted:

It's too bad that we'll never get CERB again, even though it worked and was popular. Probably because it worked and was popular.

my wife pointed out that we already have UBI but it's for seniors only

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

RBC posted:

Probably something that was 40 years ago

that would be something like kensington market.

historically a jewish neighbourhood, not so much in the last few decades. there are a few jewish neighbourhoods along bathurst going north. i don't think any of them are anywhere near the protests

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

infernal machines posted:

they were pop-up shops in the bay stores

Oh dang this was really recent. Haven't been to the mall in ages

https://www.chrisd.ca/2023/09/06/zellers-pop-up-store-polo-park-mall-winnipeg/

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Karach posted:

Zellers is where me and my friend went to steal Micro Machines and Lego , because the aisles were so cluttered with garbage that nobody noticed. All my affection for the store is directly proportional to how easy it was to shoplift from it.

I'm all for somebody trying to recreate that experience.

Stealing from Zellers was badass

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

God Cayrma sucks

Back when you could just leave your kid places my mom would go shopping and order me them crinkle fries and a hot dog and i'd just read for like 50 minutes. Really worked out since I was a little poo poo if I had to be walking around.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

I got a pristine boxed copy of Earthbound from Zellers in like 2005 and I regret only buying the one

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
zellers and sears might have had bad food but i loved the grilled cheese from sears when i was a kid

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Dreylad posted:

my wife pointed out that we already have UBI but it's for seniors only

a couple of years ago our astronaut MP marc garneau sent out a mailer proudly stating that cpp and oas payments would be indexed to inflation. wages of course went unmentioned

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
it's funny CPP and OAS cut the elderly poverty rate by 25% from the 70s to the 90s, to a level lower than the childhood poverty rate, but no one can be certain if UBI would work

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

children dont vote at nearly the rate the elderly do

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

DaysBefore posted:

Stealing from Zellers was badass

that's right

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I have for years now, regretted being too chickenshit as a kid to steal from zellers

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Danann posted:

quote:

The Victims of Communism memorial to be unveiled in Ottawa sometime this year has a high degree of focus on Vietnam, potentially setting the stage for a strong negative reaction from that nation, Canadian diplomats have warned.

Vietnam is Canada’s largest trading partner in the Association of Southeast Asian Nations and as one of the world’s fastest growing economies it will play a key role in Canada’s Indo-Pacific Strategy, according to Global Affairs Canada.

https://twitter.com/seriations/status/1744443898162987059?s=20

countdown to the canadian parliament giving a standing ovation to some guy who participated in the rape of nanjing

why would you remind people of your role in vietnam lmao

like the one thing that people know about it was that it was bad and america shouldn't have gone in

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I like waking up to news that a Rebel News chud got arrested for harassing Freeland.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
Harassing Freeland is never wrong and it was a bullshit arrest.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

crepeface posted:

like the one thing that people know about it was that it was bad and america shouldn't have gone in

I don't know why the government has decided to go all-in on this poo poo a generation after the Cold War ended. Without the scary Soviets still around, building monuments to the people who did the Holocaust and Phoenix Program looks comically bad.

:freeland:

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

they've been working on this stupid monument to man's folly for over a decade

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
The echoes of the September Crisis. It's 2024, maybe it's time to purge the Nazis.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/ferdinand-eckhardt-winnipeg-art-gallery-nazi-connection-1.7077339

quote:

Winnipeg Art Gallery dropping Nazi-linked Ferdinand Eckhardt name
'Part of a continued journey towards equity, decolonization, and reconciliation,' WAG says

The Winnipeg Art Gallery is dropping the Ferdinand Eckhardt name from its main entrance hall, website, and all other gallery materials.

quote:

According to the article, "Eckhardt's public endorsements of Nazism include signing an oath of allegiance to Hitler and producing several polemics in far-right and Nazified journals in the early 1930s, urging, among other things, that Germany's cultural arena align itself with the goals of the Nazi state."

Sweatman also noted "Eckhardt went to work for one of the most notorious players in Hitler's war machine, IG Farben, the same company that built the Auschwitz concentration camp and manufactured Zyklon B, used in the gas chambers."

Karach has issued a correction as of 14:32 on Jan 9, 2024

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

RealityWarCriminal posted:

they've been working on this stupid monument to man's folly for over a decade

The Bottlemen's theory that this is all because Peter MacKay was overcome by the smaller statue of a nude Christ crucified to a hammer and sickle would make us the Rod Dreher nation.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Arc Hammer posted:

I like waking up to news that a Rebel News chud got arrested for harassing Freeland.

that hat alone merits arrest

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Dreylad posted:

the small business owner bailout is coming

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/restaurants-canada-asks-ottawa-for-last-minute-ceba-extension-1.2019322

not being able to pay back $40,000 of a $60,000 interest free loan.

So their costs have gone up and sales are bad. How is handing them more money going to rectify this? Are we just hoping that waiting it out will work?

Too many mediocre restaurants as it is, I hope they go bankrupt.
I will say, I do have some concern that it's the giant chains of "irish-style" pubs that will survive because most consumers are idiots.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Fidelitious posted:

So their costs have gone up and sales are bad. How is handing them more money going to rectify this? Are we just hoping that waiting it out will work?

Too many mediocre restaurants as it is, I hope they go bankrupt.
I will say, I do have some concern that it's the giant chains of "irish-style" pubs that will survive because most consumers are idiots.

let’s be fair: they’re not asking for more money, they’re asking for a longer time to pay off existing loans. considering the mess we’re still in post-pandemic, I don’t think that’s unreasonable and I generally think the small business community is super full of itself and can go to hell. (yes technically in finance brains a longer time to pay off the loan = more money but you get what I mean. there’s no new payments going to these businesses from governments as part of this.)

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
I'm just doubtful that they'll ever pay it back.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

I don't know why the government has decided to go all-in on this poo poo a generation after the Cold War ended. Without the scary Soviets still around, building monuments to the people who did the Holocaust and Phoenix Program looks comically bad.

:freeland:

Well you see, now that capitalism no longer has to show that it is better than a competing system by improving people’s lives, people are again wondering if this is truly the best way to organize society, so the ruling class are turning on the propaganda again. But they’re deeply stupid.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

crepeface posted:

I dunno didn't Henry Kissinger win a prize for it or something

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

Glimpse posted:

Well you see, now that capitalism no longer has to show that it is better than a competing system by improving people’s lives, people are again wondering if this is truly the best way to organize society, so the ruling class are turning on the propaganda again. But they’re deeply stupid.

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7320086628138044715

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Feels like feudalism 2.0 is where we’re headed, honestly. One weird trick to solve the housing crisis and the “people just don’t want to work (for poo poo wages)” crisis!

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I watched some Power and Politics bullshit and some expert on antisemitism was complaining about protestors in two places:

- the Avenue Rd overpass over the 401
- Nathan Phillips square

He described that overpass as a key artery for the neighbourhood and criticized police for occasionally closing it for safety reasons but also for offering coffee to protestors.

Now I'm not a driver but I will note that 5 seconds of looking at a map shows that Avenue Rd ends at the 401 and there are a few dozen houses and a park north of the 401 and that's about it. So lmao at calling this a vital artery. I guess closing it can briefly inconvenience drivers who have to go a whole less than a km to Bathurst or whatever.

Then the second complaint was about not going to the Israeli consulate (which does in fact happen regularly) but 'harassing' families going to skate at Nathan Phillips square. Even the gormless host was forced to point out that protesting at City Hall is a commonplace occurance and the response was well they went onto the ice (is that illegal?) and stopped people from skating* and that's TOO FAR.

*it's entirely unclear if much of what the guest described actually happened as such, there was just a brief clip of cops handing out food and drinks at the overpass.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

as a child I lived in a town so remote and so inconsequential that our Big Store was a Zellers Select, the smaller, worse version of a regular Zellers. it was the beating heart of our town mall, which contained several empty storefronts and a bike store that was temporarily closed for the entire time I lived there

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

Karach posted:

that hat alone merits arrest

lol its like that old timey "press" hat in cartoons

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
Repel Media

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU