Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: muscles like this!)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

ymgve posted:

The worst thing is that a chase between the penguin and the batmobile should be over in like 5 seconds. You mean the multi-billion dollar war machine can’t outrun a normal car?

The speed is tied to the tempo of the song playing on the radio and Batman has “Something in the Way” on repeat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

lmao trying to find that Knox quote from Batman 89 on youtube and really, the commenters are the true luminaries of modern film criticism and analysis

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I didn’t hate the movie, liked it even, but it could have easily lost 35 minutes and been a much more tight film as a result (and it STILL would have been almost a 2.5 hr movie.)

It being 4 minutes shy of 3 hours is indefensible. There’s only so many times Batman can approach from the darkness in slow motion to the same 3 bars of a Nirvana song.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

feedmyleg posted:

In browser they have a sort order for lists that is "Based on Films You Like" or "Related to Films You Liked." Maybe they published a blog post on what exactly they mean, but to me they're not transparent enough to be useful.

This is about Letterboxd. I finally remembered to check, and if this exists, I definitely can't find it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

https://x.com/discussingfilm/status/1744361128220627273?s=46&t=DvvqeOcggle6VW8Wu5D9WA

Hell yeah! I’m planning a rewatch now.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Finally we can watch it in the way David Chase intended.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I always thought that QuiBi episodes were too long. Probably why they failed.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

thrawn527 posted:

This is about Letterboxd. I finally remembered to check, and if this exists, I definitely can't find it.

Here:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

But we already had a gabagool cut

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

And the definitive cut

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRkE_Gv6ALM

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Someone uploaded 12 Angry Men in small bits to TikTok and it blew the zoomers away.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

zoux posted:

Well, there isn't a single starship in The Batman

You know, a version of Batman where Gotham City is a giant decrepit interstellar colony ship that got lost and is drifting through perpetual interstellar night would be a good Elseworlds take.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Oh excellent, thanks!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Chairman Capone posted:

You know, a version of Batman where Gotham City is a giant decrepit interstellar colony ship that got lost and is drifting through perpetual interstellar night would be a good Elseworlds take.

Except the Green Lantern Corps isn't going to let Batman's little costume party city of crime keep on keepin on

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The best news of the day is that Dorohedoro is getting another season.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Chairman Capone posted:

That would be a really Dark City.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

Showrunner for Our Flag Means Death has posted on his instagram that the show has been cancelled :smith:

edit: adding image because instagram shows almost nothing if you don't have an account:

HOLY FUCK fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jan 9, 2024

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ymgve posted:

The worst thing is that a chase between the penguin and the batmobile should be over in like 5 seconds. You mean the multi-billion dollar war machine can’t outrun a normal car?

The Penguin drives a very nice car.

And the point isn't that the Batmobile is fast, it's that it's like an animal that's got his scent.

bull3964 posted:

There’s only so many times Batman can approach from the darkness in slow motion to the same 3 bars of a Nirvana song.

wrong

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

bull3964 posted:

The car chase to get The Penguin was one of the dumbest things I’ve seen put on the big screen, especially for a movie that’s praised as high as “The Batman.”

Batman causes how many deaths on the highway doing a high speed chase simply because he thinks The Penguin is the informant, only to find out that he isn’t.

1) The carnage level on the highway should have Batman branded as the villain. It causes more death and destruction than Danny DeVito did in “Batman Returns” when he straight up hijacks Batman’s car. I don’t even get the sense that they were trying to make any sort of statement with it either, it’s just treated as an action sequence.

2) Batman is chasing after him basically on a hunch.

3) They catch him and are like “this princess is in another castle” stuff about him being the informant, but they should still have him on major drug charges, but Batman just kinda leaves (I think, it’s been awhile since I watched it.)

4) This whole drat frantic chase was unnecessary anyways. The Penguin is a known figure with known hangouts and there was no indication that he was going to run and go to ground. Batman didn’t have to chase him. He could have picked him up at any time.

Not denying that the new Batmobile is cool and it should have a scene in the movie, but they could have excised that whole section with ZERO effect on the overall plot of the movie.

The level of unbeleivable pausing they had to do get from the fight shootout to the cars to even start that sequence was already so egregious it took me out of the movie. Then the car chase being an hour long irritating action slog of destructive nonsense made it a natural intermission for bathroom break but was still going on after.

And the batmobile wasn't cool it looked like any 1993 black Toyota Camaro Sedan and the billion of cars that look just like it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuQGOpsGFdY
Youtube channel Scaredy Cats is doing a video a day review of the 90s Canadian vampire series, Forever Knight. It just started so there's only two episodes.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

I guarantee every second of The Sopranos is already on tiktok uploaded by user1928484928 and every comment is "WHAT MOVIE IS THIS?" and the replies say "Get Shorty" or "Lonely Hearts"

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

VARSITY ATHLETE

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

muscles like this! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuQGOpsGFdY
Youtube channel Scaredy Cats is doing a video a day review of the 90s Canadian vampire series, Forever Knight. It just started so there's only two episodes.

Man I loved that show. Perfect late night trash for teenage me.

I remember being so confused when I saw the movie that started it and it was Rick Springfield playing Nick haha

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

bull3964 posted:

That would be a really Dark City.

I liked in the novelisation of the bane comics (I was really young, honest) where batman mentions his car's just a maserati with some doodads on, simple

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
TV Stuff:

CHAD SEASON TWO 19th JANUARY

Trailers:

3 Body Problem (Game of Thrones dudes, Netflix)

Sexy Beast (Paramount)

Tokyo Vice Season Two (Max)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

zoux posted:

Outstanding in Justified, I was disappointed she ended up on Last Man Standing

Oh man, she was the young girl who ends up being taken under the wing of beloved character actor Margo Martindale? Yeah, she was awesome in Justified, I had no idea she ended up going to Tim Allen jail :smith:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

She was great in Dopesick with Michael Keaton

Rain Brain
Dec 15, 2006

in ghostlier demarcations, keener sounds

Medullah posted:

Man I loved that show. Perfect late night trash for teenage me.

I remember being so confused when I saw the movie that started it and it was Rick Springfield playing Nick haha

There was a movie? With Rick Springfield?

Was actually thinking of rewatching Forever Knight since I need a MotW-ish show with a billion episodes to put on while I do stuff but was worried that it would just be too crap, despite my low standards.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
https://x.com/netflix/status/1744811342672887937?s=46

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Rain Brain posted:

There was a movie? With Rick Springfield?

Was actually thinking of rewatching Forever Knight since I need a MotW-ish show with a billion episodes to put on while I do stuff but was worried that it would just be too crap, despite my low standards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4TcZWREhQM

Looks like it's on YouTube!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah I dunno.

Did anyone watch the Chinese version?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

wtf Netflix

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah I dunno.

Did anyone watch the Chinese version?

Yeah, I also started reading the book halfway through the season. They are both a little dry, and the TV series is a bit slow (THIRTY episodes), but it was a good and mostly faithful adaptation of the book. (Totally softened the Cultural Revolution parts, though)

That being said, I had quite a few issues with the first two books I read, and I don't think Netflix will make them any better...

(Book spoilers) My most major issue is that the countdown is a red herring and only intended to make the reader think something is happening at the end, and in the second book the Earth's armed forces did the worst blunder since some trojans got a nice gift

ymgve fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jan 10, 2024

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

ymgve posted:

Yeah, I also started reading the book halfway through the season. They are both a little dry, and the TV series is a bit slow (THIRTY episodes), but it was a good and mostly faithful adaptation of the book. (Totally softened the Cultural Revolution parts, though)

That being said, I had quite a few issues with the first two books I read, and I don't think Netflix will make them any better...

OK thanks I might have to give the shows a watch. They are on youtube so maybe I'll do that.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I've read the first two books so far and I'm kinda excited for Neflix adaptation since I felt the translation really held me back from fully enjoying some neat heady concepts. It was specifically the dialog. I'm sure it reads well in the original Chinese, but the English translation had me going constantly "no one talks like this", kinda pulling me out of the story. This is especially true for the non-Chinese characters in the book. Yeah, I was also screaming at the pages as I read book two about the massive military blunder that was clearly about to happen that seemed to only serve as a way to wrap up that stage of the story quickly.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
After that recent Only Connect rant I checked it out on YouTube and now it pops up sometimes in the autoplay. I like it as a dinner show, I'm not keeping score for myself but about half I can get or would if I paused for extra time and paid more attention, but most of em I don't feel bad missing at all because I just don't know the names of specific Lego Ninjago characters and probably never will and that's okay.

It's a really wide net they cast of connections to make. It's mostly when it's hyper specific pop culture that it reminds me on some online trivia games that have any old question and make you guess how many red triangular flags there in a certain custom racetrack for Trackmania 2008.

It's pretty dry overall but the pacing is actually fairly snappy. At least if you're trying to make the connections it goes by really quick. I guess compared to other trivia shows it's a lot harder to dip in and out since you have to wait to see if they go to next clues, whereas with Jeopardy you get all the info right at the start.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lotta great ideas and concepts, but doesn’t really hang together. Also I feel you on the translation thing, I could always tell I was reading a translation of a book. In good translations you kind of forget that after a bit. I’m sure they sound cool in Chinese but ‘Wallfacers” and “Swordholder” sound stupid in English. There were other things like that but that’s the one I remember off the top of my head. And there’s a bit too much magical realism for a book that deals with such complex hard science manic poetry dream waifu tulpa??? How’d they deal with that in the TV show?. I will say most of my problems didn’t arise until book two, when they changed translators and it was obviously worse. Never read #3

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

zoux posted:

Lotta great ideas and concepts, but doesn’t really hang together. Also I feel you on the translation thing, I could always tell I was reading a translation of a book. In good translations you kind of forget that after a bit. I’m sure they sound cool in Chinese but ‘Wallfacers” and “Swordholder” sound stupid in English. There were other things like that but that’s the one I remember off the top of my head. And there’s a bit too much magical realism for a book that deals with such complex hard science manic poetry dream waifu tulpa??? How’d they deal with that in the TV show?. I will say most of my problems didn’t arise until book two, when they changed translators and it was obviously worse. Never read #3

The Chinese live action TV show only covers book 1. There is a cartoon which covers more, but I haven't seen that one. And yeah, the books can be described as "good ideas, mediocre execution"

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Jerusalem posted:

I had no idea she ended up going to Tim Allen jail :smith:

Tim Allen jail is just federal prison

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I honestly hope HBO has a good support system for her. Don't click this spoiler if you haven't played the second game: Like, it's one thing that she's going to kill Joel, but now she's going to kill Joel played by a beloved actor. She will get hate both from fans of the show and from people who's thirsty for Pedro Pascal.