Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Dang I didn't know the music in Misericorde was so good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWyTIh2NZ9k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Regy Rusty posted:

Which nation though, as yet undetermined

the evil wanker nation that gave birth to the evil burger nation :blastu:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Can't believe what the SA goty turned out to be

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Mr Hootington posted:

Can't believe what the SA goty turned out to be

Fortnight? A British term for two weeks?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Fortnight? A British term for two weeks?

No it was Baulder's Gate 3.

Fortnite received 1 vote

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Mr Hootington posted:

No it was Baulder's Gate 3.

Fortnite received 1 vote

that's wild

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I thought so. Figured it would be TotK, but horny beats nintendo love

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

HopperUK posted:

Dang I didn't know the music in Misericorde was so good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWyTIh2NZ9k

The whole soundtrack owns so much

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Misericorde has an insane amount of tracks too and is just going to get even more with later volumes. Probably the most Umineko like aspect of it, even more than the murder mystery stuff, lol.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

frytechnician posted:

Anyway, gotta go, gotta play some more Pentiment this weekend.

:hellyeah:

Enjoy your FIRST playthrough of the game! :)

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Got one ending in Elsinore so far, good poo poo, just going around telling everyone all the plot spoilers of Hamlet is pretty fun.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

The 7th Guest posted:

people should at least play the Vividlope demo so they can see why i enjoy it so much (or question my taste)

actually a fair number of games in my top 50 have demos on Steam: Final Profit (#49), Zortch (#48), Skator Gator 3d (#42), Lunark (#40), ProtoCorgi (#27), Paquerette Down the Bunburrows (#23), Slayers X (#19), HROT (#11), Misericorde (#6), Chants of Sennaar (#4), Octopath Traveler 2 (#3), and Vividlope (#2).

I'll vouch for Vividlope as well, I haven't gotten around to the full game but I did play and thoroughly enjoy the demo - it's just a delight of a game and feels like it would have been right at home on the Dreamcast.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
While it's basically a 1 of 1, I've definitely played enough games with bad versions of them in it over the years that I want to give it a special shoutout, and it's hilarious that it's something I didn't even engage with in a completely free game until I was going for 100% completion.

Holocure has probably the best fishing minigame I've ever played. Unless fishing is the entire point of your game, I don't want to have to spend immense amounts of time and tedium to catch an appreciable amount of fish that I absolutely will be required to get for [reason] in the game, because fishing minigames almost never are completely optional if you, say, want to platinum a game.

it's a very basic setup: Simon Says on a bar, and you hit the buttons as they reach the circle, like so(the white circles are mouseclick icons, which mix up with the standard Simon Says arrows), and the top blue bar fills as you hit buttons and drains as you miss, until it is full or empty and you win or lose the catch. Sometimes it takes 2 button hits, sometimes it takes 12 for harder catches.

There are combo multipliers that both increase the speed at which things go, and also increase the number of bonus fish(!!!!) you catch with each cast. That last part is what sets it apart from any other fishing minigame I've encountered; things like Stardew Valley or whatever, you're still only catching the one fish per cast, and it's generally a massive waste of time. But if you're catching lower-tier fish with a high-tier rod in Holocure, you will catch a SHITLOAD of them per cast. Like usually a dozen or more if your combo's in the 20s-30s. I reflexively clicked through and forgot to screenshot it, but I caught 18 Shrimp(the bottom tier catch) in one cast once. And caught 10 Clownfish in another:

and if you get your combo modifier high enough, like 50+ with high tier rods, you'll start to catch multiples of the top tier catches at a time as well, like so:

It's entirely a side gig thing, all of Holo House is, but the catches can be either sold for tons of cash(Axolotls especially) or cooked to make buff food for normal Holocure runs. Just a very good optional system they added on to the main game, I'm really impressed. The farming and minion things are barebones as gently caress and not great, but the fishing minigame is basically perfect. Plus NPCs will come and fish nearby too and sometimes leave some of their catches on the shore, which are some nice extra freebies. It's still just a fishing minigame, but it's both decently fun as a reflex game and also doesn't horribly drag on like pretty much every other fishing minigame I've ever encountered, and that it's in a game I literally cannot give money to the dev for is hilarious.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
12: Ash of Gods: The Way
11: Little Goody Two Shoes
10: Jusant
9: DREDGE
8: Alan Wake 2
7: SANABI
6: Hi-Fi Rush
5: Blasphemous 2
4: The Cosmic Wheel: Sisterhood
3: Baldur's Gate 3
2: Armored Core 6
1: Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty

I know im way too late. Wanted to share my list anyways :)

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Grand Fromage posted:

The N64 controller is one of my favorite pieces of tech because it mystifies me so deeply. How did anyone design this? Had the designer ever seen a human hand before? How did enough people think it was a good idea that it entered production? I love it.
The most logical explanation for the N64 controller is that Nintendo was not convinced that people would actually like the analog stick, so they built a controller that could do either one: if analog controls hadn't taken off, we'd be talking about how the middle lobe of the controller was useless. They then did something similar with dual analog controls for the Gamecube: the C-stick is intentionally a poo poo analog stick.

By the time the Wii came out, they had been sufficiently burned by both of these that they went all-in on the Wii motion control gimmicks, and it paid out for them.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

It's probably more that they built the entire controller around Mario 64 and then realized afterward that 3rd parties would still need traditional controls

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Nah I looked into it more and found the designer. It all makes sense now.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I like to imagine some designer at Nintendo seeing the DualShock (or even the Dual Analog) some time after after the N64 controller released and realising how dumb they were.

You can just position it so the thumb can reach either the dpad or the left analog without moving! In fact you can do the same with a whole other analog stick on the right!

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

took the bread and the lamb spread
Lipstick Apathy
So I just completely stopped playing all of the games I was in the middle of last year and have spent the last 8 days exclusively playing games recommended from this thread.
Slay the Princess, Jedi: Survivor, My Time at Sandrock, and The Making of Karateka were all strong recommends.
Cocoon is looking at me.

e: Point being, thread delivers again.

e2: Karateka was a game I remember playing on the Apple IIc back around '85 or so and I hated it. It was pretty wild to play it again with the full context of everything and everyone that worked on it, as well as the hows and whys of it all, and the impact it had on the industry and people's lives.
I still hate it, but in a meaningful way now.

e3: Dark Souls is a Karateka-like.

xoFcitcrA fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jan 8, 2024

nodm
Jul 17, 2011
Thanks for the Making of Karateka recommend. I had considered picking it up as I used to play this on Atari 8-bit (confirmed in the interviews to be the best running classic version :smugdog: although c-64 had better music) and had a great time with the remake. I can actually hit that loving eagle at > 5 fps too.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

bewilderment posted:

I like to imagine some designer at Nintendo seeing the DualShock (or even the Dual Analog) some time after after the N64 controller released and realising how dumb they were.

You can just position it so the thumb can reach either the dpad or the left analog without moving! In fact you can do the same with a whole other analog stick on the right!

In hindsight it’s wild how Sony nailed it right out of the gate with the dual shock layout.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

BigDumper posted:

In hindsight it’s wild how Sony nailed it right out of the gate with the dual shock layout.

Yeah, and it's basically just an SNES controller with analog sticks, more shoulder buttons, and better ergonomics. The building blocks were there but Nintendo couldn't see it.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUazs3jT8dM

Barreft fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jan 10, 2024

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

:rock:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Runa posted:

Yeah, and it's basically just an SNES controller with analog sticks, more shoulder buttons, and better ergonomics. The building blocks were there but Nintendo couldn't see it.

I wonder if they got trapped by feeling that they needed something more different for the new generation. I’ve seen that error wreck a lot of products!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

I wonder if they got trapped by feeling that they needed something more different for the new generation. I’ve seen that error wreck a lot of products!

The Nintendo/Sony collab was between 1988-93, fell apart, and one year later the SCPH-1010 psx controller was first released in december of 94. Nintendo had considered itself to be in an unfavorable position wrt future licensing in multiple areas, so they purposefully torched the software/hardware deal by inking a separate deal with Phillips and revealing it a day after the Nintendo PlayStation was first shown. I guess Sony took the hint. But yeah, the end result with the design of the 64 was probably Nintendo trying to stand out and look as different as possible from the various CD based systems on the horizon, and I think it worked after a fashion as the 64 is pretty iconic. The cost of cartridges also handily boxed them into a corner.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

took the bread and the lamb spread
Lipstick Apathy

whoa

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

people call nintendo idiots for not signing on with sony, but at the same time, im unsure how the future of nintendo's independence would have shook out if they were bound to sony. im not sure you get the wii or the switch in that universe

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Endorph posted:

people call nintendo idiots for not signing on with sony, but at the same time, im unsure how the future of nintendo's independence would have shook out if they were bound to sony. im not sure you get the wii or the switch in that universe

Nintendo are def not idiots, it was a calculated move for sure. Sony wanted to get into games, had limited experience designing hardware and software in that realm and sort of shacked up with the company that had more experience. Where they were knowledgeable otoh was with the terms of licensing for music rights, disc distribution rights, sound chip stuff, etc. There was no way that Nintendo was going to let Sony lean too far on their independence in the end, though I'm pretty sure Sony was indeed caught off guard by the move. It was kind of win-win though. The real loser was Sega. Sony really was put in a perfect position, via fate or strategy, to deal a crushing blow to Nintendo's main rival. I think the more contentious moment came later when Nintendo's control freak nature led to hardware decisions that alienated long time 3rd party software allies, specifically Square. I think that was a huge sore spot for a number of years.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Did we count the vootes yet?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Lawman 0 posted:

Thread title

(1PM GMT is 8AM EST)

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Picked up Lunacid after seeing a lot of goons rate it highly here. Was pretty much immediately sucked in.

Found the hub area and now the seemingly only way forward is through some mega loving spooky pitch dark "Cerebro Temple" full of corpses with holes where their faces should be. :gonk:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Lawman 0 posted:

Weird, I checked VG's ballot box and all I see is 200 tickets labelled Lord of the Rings: Gollum

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
VG it’s been long enough. Release the Gollum cut

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Rarity posted:

Weird, I checked VG's ballot box and all I see is 200 tickets labelled Lord of the Rings: Gollum

Glad that, unlike previous years, the board has taste

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I completed Gollum in 11 hours, only two deathloops (which we managed to recover) and a couple of ultra rare acheivements.

I would call that a win :)

ALSO, I am ready for tomorrow. Oh yes. I hope you are all too. :)

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I was born ready. My first word was "goty"

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Goty is my middle name

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Gonna be busy tomorrow so I’ll miss the countdown but grats to all the goty winners and losers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

every poster itt is a goty winner in my eyes