Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
I like to think that Gale's approval with all the goody-goody decisions in early Act 1 is because he's sizing you up. I mean, he pretty much says "I've been watching you make some capital G Good decisions, and guess what, I have a problem that needs solving, want to hear about it, eh?" His "selfless" talk after the visit from Elminster is, to me, less about him being selfless and more about him thinking "oh, I've been burdened with such a burden that only me, the Hero, can carry, good thing I'm so noble and strong," since he basically doesn't listen to you saying, over and over, "you don't have to do this, let's figure it out." He never really thinks of himself as a walking nuke, he's Mystra's Most Special Boy that is Too Special To Exist and so he must explode himself into legend.

I wonder if he gets a bit more nuance if you're playing as him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Jay Rust posted:

So you can only steal the ritual-enabling idol after the ritual has already been cancelled? If Mol had any integrity she should say "ah give it back to 'em"

What indicates Mol has integrity at any point in the game

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Professor Beetus posted:

I mean they chose to include that path, not sure why it wouldn't result in an alternate path with a comparable amount of content. It's handled in an incredibly lazy way. Why bother giving the players the option to begin with?

I'm fine with it, they have some reactivity for an evil route but not nearly to the degree as you would if you were doing a good route, and the assumption that you should be able to be evil is just kind of baked into the game format so they'd be criticized if they didn't let you. They just didn't want to support it to the same degree as a good playthrough.

This was a deliberate choice because by the dev's logic, if you're going out of the way to make the world an emptier and more dreary place then it makes sense that you miss out on the content that comes from having a healthier and more vibrant world with actual characters living in it.

Hibbloes
Jun 9, 2007
Yo

So yesterday i did the good path minthara recruit. i had to leave scl so i had to leave her at camp- when i came back and was gonna put her on the team, there was a snippet of narrator dialogue about how this person was not happy with me and that gifts might smooth over the issues. having nothing that seemed gifty on my character, i gave her a bunch of scrolls, which seemed to boost her approval (it was on the barter screen, and i could see her approval go up as i donated scrolls). Once i did that, she then rejoined, and still had all the scrolls i gave her. i have questions- can i normally gift items to companions to alleviate the evil characters hating my good boy warlock? is there a way back to this screen/option? was this a wierd rollover of EA stuff combined with the wonky min recruitment?

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Is anyone having an issue since the Hotfix with the game not recognizing that you have certain quest items?

I didn't get an option to give the Gauntlets of Hill Giant Strength to Helsik in the Devil's Fee, and Voss keeps asking me if I have the Orphic Hammer when Lae'zel is talking to him while it's equipped.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
So that final decision with the hammer is DA2 levels of "What, I guess we literally only have two choices no matter what."

Despite accidentally sleeping with the emperor, he still immediately betrays if I use the hammer.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

After that, I used nonlethal damage on him and I'm kind of disappointed that there's no follow-up for him still being alive at the end.

I ended up swapping out my wildshape druid for light domain Shadowheart because I needed more AoE than just the crushing flight and my tiger barbarian's sweep attack. I gave her the coruscating ring, luminous armor, and luminous gloves, and now just walking by an enemy with spirit guardians gives them 6 stacks of radiant orb, but I definitely need to give her focus elixirs because she's getting her concentration broken a lot which means having to take another turn and a limited 3rd level spell slot to set it up again rather than chucking fireballs around for AoE. I should probably experiment with high level wizards at some point because from what I've seen the main advantage a sorcerer has at high levels for AoE is being able to metamagic spells which isn't super necessary for burning down trash enemies and as a bonus the cleric has a higher AC so when tactician difficulty enemies try to focus them down it's harder.

Also having a high level Aid just makes everything so much easier.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jan 10, 2024

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

The Lord Bude posted:

This. I can’t help but feel like hunter is the worst class in the game, it can’t really do anything that another class can’t do better.

What? They very notably get an uber capstone that no-one else can replicate.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

CobiWann posted:

Is anyone having an issue since the Hotfix with the game not recognizing that you have certain quest items?

I didn't get an option to give the Gauntlets of Hill Giant Strength to Helsik in the Devil's Fee, and Voss keeps asking me if I have the Orphic Hammer when Lae'zel is talking to him while it's equipped.

Yeah it appears to be a pretty widespread issue with the latest hotfix affecting most if not all quest items in the game. I checked an Act 2 save with the moonlantern where I couldn't inspect or interact with it at all. Guess I'll just wait until tomorrow!

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

22 Eargesplitten posted:

How do you steal the idol without the druids trying to kill all the tieflings? I saw someone steal the idol in a darkness cloud but then as soon as the cloud disappeared the druids started killing all the refugees.

I had Wyll grab it while invis and then immediately fast traveled away and it worked great. No repercussions. Gave it to Mol and got the ring of protection.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Tae posted:

So that final decision with the hammer is DA2 levels of "What, I guess we literally only have two choices no matter what."

Despite accidentally sleeping with the emperor, he still immediately betrays if I use the hammer.

you nasty

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

AfricanBootyShine posted:

The game is not difficult enough to warrant any of that theorycrafting. Maybe on honor mode.

Edit: this is referring to the huge effort post about swords bard.

Im using a bit of gloomstalker on honor mode and its fine. I get longstrider from it and also an extra attack on turn 1 (the most important turn)

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Also haste only gives one attack on honor mode, both spell and potion. F- theorycrafting

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Tae posted:

You get a bit of variety with it but that part is mainly an either/or situation yeah. Emperor figures (probably rightly) that if you free Orpheus the prince will 100% murder him on the spot, or force him to kill Orpheus and maybe not be able to grab his brain. So Emperor decides to get it over with and surrender to the Absolute without risking a fight with Orpheus that he might lose.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jan 10, 2024

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Professor Beetus posted:

I mean they chose to include that path, not sure why it wouldn't result in an alternate path with a comparable amount of content. It's handled in an incredibly lazy way. Why bother giving the players the option to begin with?

This is a while back, but there are lots of options you have in the game that reduce the amount of overall content you get. Early on you are given the option to kill multiple companions, if you do that you will never see their personal quests and doing it doesn't unlock anything additional. You can choose to end the game at the end of Act II and just completely cut off an entire act of content. Larian deliberately made the game so that different choices lead to different paths, many of which are mutually exclusive, and they're not going to be equivalent. I get that it can be frustrating because you can feel like you lose out. But the natural consequence of murdering a shitload of people is that you don't get to interact with them in the future, and the world doesn't magically create more people for you to replace them with different narratives. If you choose to act that way, the world becomes a smaller, lonelier, and less interesting place, directly because of your choices. That is entirely intentional.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Very well said

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

on a more practical level, evil murder-loving roleplayers are a vanishing minority of people who play CRPGs, and properly allocating resources means that the best they can do is give you the option and ensure it doesn't break the critical path

the fact that durge is even in the game is a minor miracle, and i doubt it would've even happened if their plans hadn't changed during deveopment

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Vermain posted:

the fact that durge is even in the game is a minor miracle, and i doubt it would've even happened if their plans hadn't changed during deveopment

Durge should've been canon for this game.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Oh my god Jaheira's AI what the gently caress are you doing...

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

grack posted:

i'm fine with them being an option for people to take instead of the main character. i think they provide a genuinely great and totally unique experience when it comes to playing a CRPG, but the central hook is something that would absolutely chase most people away, and you can't make back what had to have been a king's ransom of a budget on cult status alone

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Ratios and Tendency posted:

if you have a save before that, go through her dialogue options and tell her specifically to follow you; she'll join your party as a temporary companion and you can direct her to not immediately run to her death

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Moonrise, I assume? Keeping her alive there is definitely an... interesting challenge. Especially since, not being a party member, she bypasses the death saves system, so she instantly and permanently eats poo poo after getting poisoned and cursed and set on fire and then deciding to sprint across the room at 9hp so she can slip on ice and faceplant right in front of three melee bruisers :doh:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
All that stuff is very well said and I am pretty well convinced, I'm fine with the amount of content not being 100% equivalent, it just seems like a missed opportunity to have some regular gobbo and bugbear pals show up and remember. Minthara and I guess maybe Sazza just don't feel worth it on their own. I am disinclined to do a side with the goblins run because I don't really see the point and it doesn't seem worthwhile to waste a playthrough on that sort of novelty choice, so I guess in that way Larian is making me a better person. Larian legitimizing the Minthara workaround is very good because she's a great character and her voice actor gives a strong performance right up there with all the others, and frankly it's too bad she hasn't been included with all the other goofy stuff the main cast has been doing post-release.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Jay Rust posted:

Has anyone ever used the defensive flourish?

I think i used the teleport flourish once, it was pretty cool!

No point with a ranged attack but if you’re doing bard/paladin for the smites then it’s what you use whenever you don’t have 2 enemies close together.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I guess I fall in the "why bother?" camp when it comes to having an evil playthrough with it's own independent content. To me the narrative doesn't really want to engage with that kind of thing. At the same time, I think it's a missed opportunity in some ways that you're not given full fledged options to have an evil path because I think there's some points to be made about pursuing power at the expense of your companions or relationships. I found the regular "good" storyline bleak enough, so I'm not sure how the bad path would have even played out. That said, I didn't have too many moments in the game where I felt heroic due to the way act 3 played out.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

If you start murdering people it doesn’t make the world small and lonely you just start spending your time with other murderers

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

For some reason, when I had Minthara go oathbreaker it changed her name to Nightwarden Minthara again. It can't be changed since origin characters can't use the mirror, but it's badass enough that I guess I don't mind.

Related: taking somebody with Aura of Hate into the Gauntlet of Shar seems like a bad idea, since I can't find a way to toggle it off. Oh well.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

QuietLion posted:

Remember for Throwbarbs as well: high ground is your BFF, you are basically a caster. Not only does it give you the initial +chance to hit, it also adds more and more Bludgeoning damage the bigger the vertical height difference between you and the target (even if the thrown item does, say, Piercing damage).

You can also do slightly riskier plays if you have to frontline, such as using Reckless Attack first on a melee target to cancel out Disadvantage on throwing stuff at targets in melee range of you. Throwbarbs may not have access to huge CC or AoE, but they’re very workable in about every situation. Also Enraged Throw alone is worth its weight in gold for saving allied spellcasters stuck in melee with an enemy.

The trick I found for a Throwing Barbarian who finds themselves in melee, is to throw that melee combatant first (out of melee range), then throw something at them while they are prone. Bonus points if you can throw them into another enemy. It's loving hilarious cause Karlach entirely ruins battles for enemies, and bosses cannot use legendary powers while prone, so this is also super good in honor mode.

Like during Act 3, I just played thru

When entering the Temple of Bhaal, the assassins have that ambush all setup at the beginning. Karlach, just jumped in their faces and threw them into the chasm, it was hilarious and sad at the same time. My durge paladin/bard is good at nova striking single opponents, and can talk someone to suicide, but Karlach( and Laezel) are so good at killing stuff, they should be bhaalists by default.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I'm actually legit upset that Grub gets fed to you by Orin disguised as Yenna. Straight up gently caress the devs for including something like this. This is why I quit playing this game.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Vargatron posted:

I'm actually legit upset that Grub gets fed to you by Orin disguised as Yenna. Straight up gently caress the devs for including something like this. This is why I quit playing this game.

Yes this is extremely lovely

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Vargatron posted:

Never happened to me, maybe it's something you did.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Vargatron posted:

It's total bs. Why doesn't it count towards your rations total on long rest???

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
The variations of Orin being secretly in your camp are easily disturbing. I haven't actually gotten it, but if she replaces Halsin it's theoretically possible to have a threesome with him at the same time. There's also this horrifying interaction. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8drdjb6rEg

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

I don't actually know what triggers Yenna as the abductee as opposed to other party members

Must be a backup for A) you've maxed approval for everyone or B) you're a solo run

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Cross-Section posted:

I don't actually know what triggers Yenna as the abductee as opposed to other party members

Must be a backup for A) you've maxed approval for everyone or B) you're a solo run

if you have all three possible abductees in your party when it picks who is the impostor

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

exquisite tea posted:

Yeah it appears to be a pretty widespread issue with the latest hotfix affecting most if not all quest items in the game. I checked an Act 2 save with the moonlantern where I couldn't inspect or interact with it at all. Guess I'll just wait until tomorrow!

Whew. I was afraid my run had bugged out as Raphael's final act of spite.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Vargatron posted:

Can't happen if you never long rest *taps forehead*

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Mr. Maggy posted:

unquestionably the best part of the game

:black101: YOU ARE BROKEN BY ITS BEAUTY :black101:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

grack posted:

Nah I think it's good that you can make your own guy without any specific history. The durge story gets very specific as it goes on which is great for a second run, but I would have hated it on my first.

E: unless you mean that the character is the durge in BG4 or DLC/expansion with a new PC, then yeah I guess who cares

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

any word that they'll release another fix tomorrow?