Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
https://x.com/JFreshHockey/status/1744842893913653570?s=20

another guy who's always wanted to be a New York Ranger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Ok that I didn't see coming. Get him on the Bruins baby!!

Also seems like the kind of guy Washington should be doing a lot to try and acquire.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I also genuinely think the "he was a Penguins fan growing up" thing is a factor.
IMO that's a pretty chickenshit reason to not play for a team that drafted you. You're no longer a fan, you're a professional. Sign later on as a free agent like everyone else does

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Zegras will absolutely be a guy that breaks out on a new team. He's got talent for days

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Zegras will absolutely be a guy that breaks out on a new team. He's got talent for days

Yeah he had back-to-back 60+ point seasons on a dogshit Anaheim team at age 21/22. Seems wild to me that they'd consider trading him even if he projects as a winger long term rather than a center. Seems like the coach doesn't like him for whatever reason though.

shyduck posted:

IMO that's a pretty chickenshit reason to not play for a team that drafted you. You're no longer a fan, you're a professional. Sign later on as a free agent like everyone else does

I agree, but I was also once a stupid teenager

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

Where is he getting that information from?

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

fawning deference posted:

Where is he getting that information from?

looks like frank seravelli

https://twitter.com/DailyFaceoff/status/1744835185147785430

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
When did JFresh start trying to get into the scoops game?

I have no idea why the Ducks would trade Zegras, unless he's pulling a Dubois which I haven't heard anything about. What would they trade him for? The kind of player the Ducks should be trying to acquire right now would be like, a 22 year old with two years left on his bridge contract. Like for example, Trevor Zegras.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jan 10, 2024

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Eh. There's a difference in teams asking about a player and a player being actively shopped. "I'm hearing this name in trade talks, keep an eye out" isn't really a "the Ducks are looking to deal Zegras" to me. Sounds like non-news.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

shyduck posted:

But what I fail to understand is why he ghosted the team and refused to meet with Jones and Briere when they traveled to Sweden with that intent. It was handled poorly, and I'm sure the Flyers could've done things differently too.

This is only coming from the Flyers side of things and NHL talking heads who likely got their information from.........the Flyers. So I'm going to take it with large grain of salt. But, perhaps, moving Keith Jones....someone without any professional experience in hockey operations....into a hockey ops job...was a bad idea. Hell Briere barely has any front office experience....he went from an ECHL team in Maine to special assistant to the GM before full promotion and lets be honest the GM he was special assistant to isn't exactly someone any of us would paint as competent.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
By the way, it is now January. The Penguins, miraculously, have been one of the healthiest teams in the league this year--Crosby, Malkin, Letang, Karlsson, and Guentzel have all played in every game. The goaltending has been very good. The Penguins are in a 4-way tie for 8th to 11th place.

If you had stipulated all of the above in September and asked me to guess where they were, even I would have said 2nd or 3rd in the conference.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Maybe Gauthier's people didn't realize Briere was the GM and thought he was a Make a Wish kid.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

Good ol’ Bedford, NY kid coming home to play for his favorite team. Let’s make it happen. Worked for Quick.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

The Gauthier stuff is reminding me of the old Lou/Marner drama, so start scrolling if you don’t want to read Leafs ELC story time:

So when the Leafs drafted Marner his camp was informed that his ELC wouldn’t include schedule B bonuses, and that this was Lou Lamoriello’s policy with all his players, no exceptions. However, the next year when they drafted Auston Matthews he was given those bonuses.

Schedule B is a big deal, it’s a flat payment of $2 million, but it’s hard to get (you need to be top 10 in a major stats category or an all star). Just so happens Matthews was actually good enough to hit them, meaning he significantly out-earned Marner while they both played out their ELCs, which especially hurts because Marner would have hit the bonus as well in his final year.

When it was time to negotiate his second contract with Dubas, Marner’s camp was irate about the difference in compensation, with Marner’s dad claiming he’d been “screwed” to the media (alongside other crazy things). With Marner prepared to hold out and having been burned by a contentious negotiation with Nylander the year before, Dubas caved to Marner’s demands to be compensated similarly to Matthews (which was obviously an overpayment) despite not even being responsible for Marner’s ill-treatment.

This summer, when Nylander’s third contract negotiations came up, his camp cited wanting to be compensated comparably to the rest of the “core 4” as their goal, as Willy’s been lumped together with them his whole career despite being significantly out-earned. Treliving, having just been burned by letting star forwards go in Calgary, recently caved to those demands despite not being responsible for those old overpaid contracts.

tl;dr: the Leafs cap situation can be directly traced to Lou Lamoriello being a miserly hypocrite with a single ELC 8 years ago, and counting the continued influence on new contracts for Leafs forwards he’ll have influenced at least 16 years of Leafs payrolls with that one decision.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Koopa Kid posted:

tl;dr: the Leafs cap situation can be directly traced to Lou Lamoriello being a miserly hypocrite with a single ELC 8 years ago, and counting the continued influence on new contracts for Leafs forwards he’ll have influenced at least 16 years of Leafs payrolls with that one decision.

Clearly he should have refused to shave.

I’d say maybe teams should stop hiring Lou, but that was true 15 years ago already.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

still can’t believe this man is only 35 years old

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

^^^ holy poo poo, really? Hahahahha

A bit ageist to suggest that an octegenarian can't be a good manager just because he's living 40 years ago and is completely insane.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
The whole scenario reminds me of this issue over in F1:

https://us.motorsport.com/f1/news/real-story-oscar-piastri-move-to-mclaren/10363182/

Essentially they kept a young promising driver on a leash without ever fully committing to them, and being annoying about the contracts and never following up on proper paperwork. crucially the contract that they finally offered Piastri put him on the sideline until 2025, which is especially egregious in that sport with only 20 seats available. Now he’s racing for McLaren and immediately one of the best young drivers on the grid.

Maybe it won’t work out the same way for this kid, but seems smart to try to have some more control over his career and in a place that does seem to want to make it work.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Cocaine Bear posted:

^^^ holy poo poo, really? Hahahahha

A bit ageist to suggest that an octegenarian can't be a good manager just because he's living 40 years ago and is completely insane.

There are completely sane old people out there. Lou is not one of them.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Reminder that Lamoriello insists on a “secure line” for his office phone, something that is not possible or necessary for his line of work

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
It’s amazing that when you look at Lou Lam’s career and people asking what makes him so good it’s just “drafted Martin Brodeur” and “has a dedication to winning.”

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Schremp Howard posted:

It’s amazing that when you look at Lou Lam’s career and people asking what makes him so good it’s just “drafted Martin Brodeur” and “has a dedication to winning.”
He was objectively great for a long time in New Jersey, it's just that we're talking about poo poo that happened 2 or 3 decades ago.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Koopa Kid posted:

Reminder that Lamoriello insists on a “secure line” for his office phone, something that is not possible or necessary for his line of work

https://twitter.com/ClueHeywood/status/683850573192380416

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/NHLRussell/status/1744875631870202360?t=Zwp-0CBMqqYGxPkfuD7-4A&s=19

Jesus, how many times is this going to happen with him?

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

Jesus, how many times is this going to happen with him?

Wonder what the current record for largest contract to be waived is

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Wow Todd can't get the most out of his players when things don't go well??? Who could have seen that coming!!!

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Koopa Kid posted:

Wonder what the current record for largest contract to be waived is

Evander Kane's $7M AAV with the Sharks that cleared unconditional waivers has to be one of the larger ones.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Richards had more total left I think. Its either him or Lecavalier iirc.

Szechwan
Jun 10, 2023
Nucks just put up 17 goals in 4 days vs NJ/NYR/NYI

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Senators are unwatchable.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Oilers with their second 8 game winning streak of the season. Just 4 points back of the Kings and 8 from Vegas with 2 games in hand.

The Canucks can regress already yeesh!!!

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I know McDavid and the Hughes brothers also used pride tape a few weeks back but:

https://twitter.com/NHLFlames/status/1744903001427616070

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Looks like Ullmark might have been injured tonight which means everyone's favorite Bruins goalie will potentially get called up. Thats right I'm talking about Brandon Bussi.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Between nixing the trade to the Avs and then signing with the wretched Ottawa Senators, how much do you think Giroux wishes he had retired as a Flyer lol

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Looks like Ullmark might have been injured tonight which means everyone's favorite Bruins goalie will potentially get called up. Thats right I'm talking about Brandon Bussi.

lol

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Eric the Mauve posted:

When did JFresh start trying to get into the scoops game?

I have no idea why the Ducks would trade Zegras, unless he's pulling a Dubois which I haven't heard anything about. What would they trade him for? The kind of player the Ducks should be trying to acquire right now would be like, a 22 year old with two years left on his bridge contract. Like for example, Trevor Zegras.
From what I've seen of him and the Ducks, he occasionally makes highlight reel plays, but his all around game is pretty lacking. Then once they bring in Gauthier, Zegras is pretty much going to be relegated to 3rd line winger, and I don't know that he would really get much PP time.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Senators are unwatchable.

That 3rd period was the worst I've seen a team play all year and I watch a pretty consistently terrible hockey team.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
If the rumors are true and they’re actually shopping Chychrun instead of Chabot then this regime is just as dumb as the last one

Watching this group of duds has made me do a complete 180 on rear end in a top hat coaches. Having a coach like DJ Smith that always has a positive spin to the media after every loss just creates an atmosphere where losing is acceptable. Bruce Cassidy is a huge dickhead everyone hated in Boston but he took Vegas to the promised land in his first year, Torts has what should be a lottery team in Philly comfortably in a playoff spot.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
It doesn’t matter at all if a coach is a dick or an optimist to the media. It matters how they sell what they’re doing to the owner (semi-related skill) and how they get buy-in from the players (completely different.) Tortorella can be a jackass to the press all he likes, as long as he can actually get his team performing well, and be accountable to his superiors in the offices. DJ Smith might have been a media darling, but it’s losing the players that lost him Andlauer in turn, and that’s how he got fired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Wait how is Zegras expendable even as a winger? I see Terry, Cutter, and ???

Like yeah Vatrano is having a good year but come on