Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Klyith posted:

Only fat32 and exfat are totally friendly between both systems. Fat isn't great.

Linux can see NTFS fine but running steam games off in linux a NTFS partition is not recommended.

Also, having a single partition that is writable by two OSes at the same time (ie the linux host and a windows VM) is very very bad. Only a matter of time until your data is corrupted bad. The two OSes will make changes that the other doesn't see, so will be working from incorrect state.

The other solution to this is to have a file server on the network and mount it on both. This works because the file server is aware when multiple clients try to use the same file and can handle it, unlike the "two operating systems both think they are the sole user of a partition" situation. Of course, this means you'll be limited by the speed of your server and network, and you need to buy another box - but having some of your stuff on a separate machine has its upsides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Klyith posted:

Only fat32 and exfat are totally friendly between both systems. Fat isn't great.

Linux can see NTFS fine but running steam games off in linux a NTFS partition is not recommended.

ExFAT is very unreliable. I actually lost a bunch of stuff because I wanted to have an easy shared drive between systems. It's designed for USB stick use and sucks. I ended up getting a NAS box for my long term storage stuff.

There's no perfect file system to have visible on all OSes. At the time I had a triple boot Win+Linux+Hackintosh system, which added to the challenge. NAS is often the best option unless you actually need the speed of an internal drive.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Running modern PC games off a NAS sounds like a loading time/stuttering nightmare or else an amazing LAN architecture.

Works great for emulation ROMs though.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

Running modern PC games off a NAS sounds like a loading time/stuttering nightmare or else an amazing LAN architecture.

Works great for emulation ROMs though.

I read the past posts badly and missed the game part. Games definitely need a local drive. Even so SSDs are so cheap that it's probably smarter to store games for every OS separately.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
I use sway on EndeavourOS (before it got 'dropped') and the only complaints I have is I still need to fix portals permissions so I can screenshot, and for some reason cuts and copies fail the first time I do them

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

lobsterminator posted:

I read the past posts badly and missed the game part. Games definitely need a local drive. Even so SSDs are so cheap that it's probably smarter to store games for every OS separately.

You can do NVMe over TCP now to mount network disks with dramatically lower overhead than even iSCSI, I bet that'd work just fine for games: https://access.redhat.com/documenta...storage-devices.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Twerk from Home posted:

You can do NVMe over TCP now to mount network disks with dramatically lower overhead than even iSCSI, I bet that'd work just fine for games: https://access.redhat.com/documenta...storage-devices.

Wouldn't that make it like direct hardware access to the drive rather than the FS controlled by the NAS? So you'd be right back to needing exclusive use by one OS to avoid write conflicts?

(Aside from the point that someone posting from a 2016 PC probably doesn't have a powerful NAS or 10gbe home network.)

Klyith fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jan 8, 2024

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Klyith posted:

Wouldn't that make it like direct hardware access to the drive rather than the FS controlled by the NAS? So you'd be right back to needing exclusive use by one OS to avoid write conflicts?

Yeah, but game installs over SMB or NFS would suck horribly anyway, for it to be fast enough you'd need something block level like iSCSI or NVMeoF to be fast enough I'd think.

Am I wrong? Is SMB low latency enough to run games over it?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Klyith posted:

Also, having a single partition that is writable by two OSes at the same time (ie the linux host and a windows VM) is very very bad. Only a matter of time until your data is corrupted bad. The two OSes will make changes that the other doesn't see, so will be working from incorrect state.

I missed this. Klyith is understating this point. The "matter of time" here can be measured in milliseconds.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

NihilCredo posted:

Take a look at rclone. It's very similar to rsync, but has some features that you may find useful (filtering by date is built-in, for example, and it backs up symlinks as text files). And when down the line the backup destination inevitably becomes some S3 cold storage bucket, you'll only have minimal changes to apply.
just checking in about this cause of talk about nfs and SMB - i went with restic with rclone's new-ish SMB backend and it's passed the test for a 15 TiB trial run. 3 GB max memory usage for all the processes involved in the job, fairly low CPU. unfortunately bottlenecked by 1 gigabit and writing to spinning RAID on the other end. fun fact, restic is what CERN uses.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Twerk from Home posted:

Yeah, but game installs over SMB or NFS would suck horribly anyway, for it to be fast enough you'd need something block level like iSCSI or NVMeoF to be fast enough I'd think.

Am I wrong?

Not at all. It's just that we started with an OP who was aiming for a setup in which linux and windows were running at the same time and had equal simultaneous access to a drive with docs, videos, and games.

I don't think there's a good solution when games (modern high performance ones) are in the equation. Things that are fast are unsafe when used that way, things that are safe are slow.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

I actually want to ask about this one.

Clone Hero is like Rock Band, it wants a library of playable songs that you can scroll through. When you land on one for like 250ms, it loads up the song and starts playing it in the user interface, so you can hear it. That's like, 5 .ogg files that it's going to open and immediately seek to halfway in before it reads a couple megabytes of data.

My song library is so big that I'd have to buy a new hard drive. I tried having it load from the NAS, but it's slow as poo poo and basically the whole games locks up for like 2 seconds. I was going to try a wired ethernet connection as a next step, but it sounds like I shouldn't bother?

What's the thread's hot take?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Klyith posted:

Nvidia is fussy with Wayland because Nvidia doesn't give a poo poo about linux, particularly not consumer desktop linux. (CUDA and non-display server stuff works fine.) They waited until Wayland was actually being widely used before they got serious about support.
Doesn't "Nvidia doesn't work well with Wayland" also mean "Nvidia doesn't work well with the Xorg modesetting driver?", which is essentially the only "supported" Xorg driver these days?

Or is the issue that Nvidia provides GLX support and so Wayland's use of EGL is a misfire?

mystes
May 31, 2006

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Doesn't "Nvidia doesn't work well with Wayland" also mean "Nvidia doesn't work well with the Xorg modesetting driver?", which is essentially the only "supported" Xorg driver these days?

Or is the issue that Nvidia provides GLX support and so Wayland's use of EGL is a misfire?
The nvidia drivers work fine with x.org and are insanely buggy with wayland though

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

mystes posted:

The nvidia drivers work fine with x.org and are insanely buggy with wayland though
Wayland isn't a piece of software through. What you have is Wayland-speaking compositors (KWin, Mutter, etc.) interfacing with the Linux DRM system, the same as the Xorg modesetting driver does.

I don't doubt that it's a buggy mess. I'm curious particularly how it's buggy though.

mystes
May 31, 2006

It seems like a lot of the problems are because of Nvidia using eglstreams and not supporting GBM which everything else uses. Technically there's no requirement to use GBM and the bugginess may be on the part of the compositors rather than the nvidia drivers, but by not supporting gbm nvidia is forcing developers to do extra work which means that the support isn't as polished as for the open source intel/radeon drivers

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I don't doubt that it's a buggy mess. I'm curious particularly how it's buggy though.

The current issues with Nvidia and Wayland are not complete incompatibly. It is good enough that over half the posts on the subject on reddit are people saying works for me.

It seems buggy in small ways. Like problems with 2 screens with different refresh rate, hybrid graphics, and stuff that you'd expect to be a bit problematic. Gnome can do fullscreen color gamma adjusting (night light) but KDE won't until 6 comes out.

If I had a Nvidia card I'd try it. I don't happen to have one anymore -- gave my 1060ti to a friend. So the current state is somewhat hearsay on my part.

And it's like, a year ago AMD + wayland wasn't perfect either. OTOH the fact that Nvidia is currently in the position w/r/t bugs that AMD was over a year ago is where you see their lack of care.

Edit: or if the question was about the technical sources of the buggyness, I have no clue. I know a little about the windows graphics stack, but next to nothing about the Linux one. Heck, I still see "Linux DRM" and have to think "no dummy, not that DRM". :lol:

Klyith fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jan 8, 2024

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Wayland isn't a piece of software through. What you have is Wayland-speaking compositors (KWin, Mutter, etc.) interfacing with the Linux DRM system, the same as the Xorg modesetting driver does.

I'm going to guess that NVidia's proprietary drives engage in a whole lot of monkey business that isn't going through the proper APIs, and as a result, when back-end changes happen, the NVidia stuff is flaky at best and broken on average, until the NVidia team rolls out a new set of kludges to ignore the standard interfaces in exciting new ways.

That was at least the story 20 years ago when I swore to never use NVidia stuff ever again.

I have opinions about NVidia.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Are there any strong reasons for or against using one of Gnome, Plasma, or Budgie over the other? I am wanting to try out one of the Fedora immutable OS's and those are the three DE's I can choose from. I'm mostly used to managing a Debian server through command line only but am wanting to switch from Windows to Linux full-time.

I guess there is also the Sway DE if I wanted something really different, but I'm not sure if I want to go that far, yet.

I briefly looked up some opinions on those DEs and it looks liked Budgie is the most opinionated and has the fewest features, Gnome can do a ton but is relatively fragile and heavier weight, and Plasma is somewhere between the two.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Just to offend as many people as possible:

Gnome is a bit like macOS. Opinionated, not very configurable, but it does work quite well when you adapt to it and has lots of polish. It also has a top menu bar that Gnome apps put their menus in, mac style - and their exposé style task switcher plus app launcher feels like an Apple idea.

Plasma/KDE is a bit more like an old Windows with a bunch of tweaking tools. You can configure and move and theme everything, and it does generally work fine - but there are some rough corners. It also has a start menu and a task bar by default.

I've never used Budgie, but it seems like one of those "what they have is nice but there's just less of it" projects. Which can be fine?

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jan 10, 2024

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

KDE has a billion configurable options because nobody involved can agree on or is willing to commit to sensible defaults. Is it possible to make it pleasant to use? Maybe, on a long enough timeline. Does it come that way out of the box? Absolutely not. Will you eventually discover that somethings are (probably) frustratingly impossible? Assuredly.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
whenever i've used linux as desktop I always use gnome, kde is "fun" as a toy but to use it for productivity/media/games/fun is hell

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Yes. And I kind of like that it stays like that, in contrast to Gnome's arrogant "We know better than both our users and any external developers" vibes.

Though I use Gnome on my Fedora install at the moment. It's fine. The task switcher + launcher design is elegant.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

I've been using the KDE spin of Fedora 39 and I'm liking it fine. I like having desktop widgets.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

pseudorandom name posted:

KDE has a billion configurable options because nobody involved can agree on or is willing to commit to sensible defaults. Is it possible to make it pleasant to use? Maybe, on a long enough timeline. Does it come that way out of the box? Absolutely not. Will you eventually discover that somethings are (probably) frustratingly impossible? Assuredly.

This is just weird to me. Maybe it varies by distro, but I've run exclusively KDE for several years now and the defaults have been fine. Other than theming and adding my obligatory wobbly windows there isn't a lot of config I have to do.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

CaptainSarcastic posted:

This is just weird to me. Maybe it varies by distro, but I've run exclusively KDE for several years now and the defaults have been fine. Other than theming and adding my obligatory wobbly windows there isn't a lot of config I have to do.

Its really simple stuff that just feels awful.

Take hot corners, for example. In KDE you can bind actions to all for screen edges and all four screen corners. Each one is separately configurable, both in terms of action executed and how long you have to hold the mouse cursor on the edge/corner pixel(s) for it to first activate, and what the cooldown period is before it will activate again. There are no times you can configure these things to to ever make activating or deactivating the hot corners/edges fell natural or make the interface feel good.

Meanwhile, over in GNOME land, there is one non-configurable hot corner. It doesn't use times at all, it is momentum based. You have to "physically" ram your mouse cursor into the corner hard enough and keep on pushing it "past" the corner in order for it to activate. If you gently place your cursor on the corner pixel, you can leave it there indefinitely and the hot corner will never activate. The whole experience is wildly more pleasant than anything you can attempt in KDE, because it's just better designed. But do you want to change what that corner does, or make the other seven corners/edges do literally anything at all? Too bad, nobody cares.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

All I really need is a multiline ungrouped window list instead of a taskbar, but there is no way to get this on Gnome, at least not via extension.

Do you think it might be possible to launch an xfce panel instead of the dock for this?

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Take hot corners, for example. In KDE you can bind actions to all for screen edges and all four screen corners. Each one is separately configurable, both in terms of action executed and how long you have to hold the mouse cursor on the edge/corner pixel(s) for it to first activate, and what the cooldown period is before it will activate again. There are no times you can configure these things to to ever make activating or deactivating the hot corners/edges fell natural or make the interface feel good.

Meanwhile, over in GNOME land, there is one non-configurable hot corner. It doesn't use times at all, it is momentum based. You have to "physically" ram your mouse cursor into the corner hard enough and keep on pushing it "past" the corner in order for it to activate. If you gently place your cursor on the corner pixel, you can leave it there indefinitely and the hot corner will never activate. The whole experience is wildly more pleasant than anything you can attempt in KDE, because it's just better designed. But do you want to change what that corner does, or make the other seven corners/edges do literally anything at all? Too bad, nobody cares.

Statements made by the utterly deranged. Hows gnomes modal dialogues and file picker?

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Did any Fedora Sway users here notice a change in behavior in their waybar doubling in height in the last few days after updating? Mine has and I can't figure out why. I don't think anything has changed in my waybar config or style.css.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

I really like the idea of the hot corners, but i really loving hate how easy it is to accidentally trigger them, and changing the delay reduces but does not eliminate the issue while at the same time making them more useless

I still really like the idea of having plasma as one of the virtual desktops in sway/i3 but i don't know if that's even possible...

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Meanwhile, over in GNOME land, there is one non-configurable hot corner. It doesn't use times at all, it is momentum based. You have to "physically" ram your mouse cursor into the corner hard enough and keep on pushing it "past" the corner in order for it to activate. If you gently place your cursor on the corner pixel, you can leave it there indefinitely and the hot corner will never activate. The whole experience is wildly more pleasant than anything you can attempt in KDE, because it's just better designed.

Huh. Does that still feel great if you disable mouse acceleration? Seems to me like it might feel much worse to need to "push" super-hard against the corner with flat movement. And then you'd have to physically recenter your mouse after because the correspondence of mouse on pad and pointer on screen was broken.

*the other player smiles evilly at the face-down card on the table in front of you*

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

I really like the idea of the hot corners, but i really loving hate how easy it is to accidentally trigger them, and changing the delay reduces but does not eliminate the issue while at the same time making them more useless

I still really like the idea of having plasma as one of the virtual desktops in sway/i3 but i don't know if that's even possible...

if you install a pure WM with a DE it will just schlock the DE into it's own window which could kinda act like a virtual desktop?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Do any of the major window managers let me keep one screen as a static display and then have multiple workspaces on the other? It's a strange thing I had wanted to try for work stuff. I usually had work communications crap up most of the time on one monitor, but multiple contexts to juggle on the other.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

macOS has separate workspace sets per display, so I assume that someone has copied it. might require config file or gnome-settings registry poking, or similar

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Do any of the major window managers let me keep one screen as a static display and then have multiple workspaces on the other? It's a strange thing I had wanted to try for work stuff. I usually had work communications crap up most of the time on one monitor, but multiple contexts to juggle on the other.

KDE has this via Activities, you just right click the app and "show on all activities (or desktops, not at computer atm)", I think it saves the setting too per window, or you can otherwise set up a rule to do it.

No I dont know what the difference is between activities and virtual desktops.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I think they are essentially profiles? :shrug:

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

This is a long shot: For those who use Music On Console, I would like to set an executable command within the player to return to the previous directory. For example, if I were listening to Dark Side of the Moon and had just visited The Wall, a single keystroke would return me to looking at The Wall. Does anyone know how to do this? I tried setting cd - as a command and it didn't work.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jan 10, 2024

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Mr. Crow posted:

KDE has this via Activities, you just right click the app and "show on all activities (or desktops, not at computer atm)", I think it saves the setting too per window, or you can otherwise set up a rule to do it.

No I dont know what the difference is between activities and virtual desktops.

Virtual desktops are just a bunch of extra screen real estate, nothing more. Nothing changes when switching between them except which windows are visible, and every window appears in exactly one position in one desktop.

Activities are somewhere between virtual desktops and user profiles. Applications can be present in more than one activity at once; the desktop layout (launch bar, widgets, background, etc.) is different, recent/last used files and apps lists are separate, and they can have some different settings like sleep timers etc. I think some applications can also be Activity-aware via DBus and show different in-app profiles based on the activity, but I'm not sure.

The idea is to have your "Work time" activity and e.g. "Watching videos" activities with different setups, and you can switch between them at a keypress. I've heard it's also possible to tie activities to location so they switch automatically if you're on a laptop.

Any way, while I personally use activities a lot, and they're a pretty stable feature, it's widely agreed that they're confusing and kind of limited, and yes they overlap with Virtual Desktops enough that it causes even more confusion. I think KDE developers have a long-running discussion thread about whether to drop them or redesign them, and whether to merge them with VDs, but it's probably something that might land at best in KDE 7.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Klyith posted:

Huh. Does that still feel great if you disable mouse acceleration? Seems to me like it might feel much worse to need to "push" super-hard against the corner with flat movement. And then you'd have to physically recenter your mouse after because the correspondence of mouse on pad and pointer on screen was broken.

*the other player smiles evilly at the face-down card on the table in front of you*

I use a MX Ergo and free-spin the ball in a vaguely diagonal direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

NihilCredo posted:

Any way, while I personally use activities a lot, and they're a pretty stable feature, it's widely agreed that they're confusing and kind of limited, and yes they overlap with Virtual Desktops enough that it causes even more confusion. I think KDE developers have a long-running discussion thread about whether to drop them or redesign them, and whether to merge them with VDs, but it's probably something that might land at best in KDE 7.

Yea I use Activities daily I just dont really use the virtual desktops, thats what 3 monitors are for.