Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Murgos posted:

The only surprising thing to me about the whole Babbit shooting is that she was the only one.

Cops start blasting the when a black man turns to take care of his babby but 300 cops taking bear spray to the face are so disciplined that 6 of them are practically beaten to death and no one even pulls out the piece?

I suspect if you are cops massively outnumbered by an angry mob, you have to consider very carefully where and when to shoot one of them. While it is true it may allow you to gain control over the situation (mob thinks "holy poo poo they actually are willing to kill us after all maybe we should cool it"), if you do shoot and it does not result in the mob backing down, you will be trampled or torn limb from limb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Zwabu posted:

I suspect if you are cops massively outnumbered by an angry mob, you have to consider very carefully where and when to shoot one of them. While it is true it may allow you to gain control over the situation (mob thinks "holy poo poo they actually are willing to kill us after all maybe we should cool it"), if you do shoot and it does not result in the mob backing down, you will be trampled or torn limb from limb.

The thing that surprised me, and still surprises me, is that not one of those numbfucks use a firearm against 'the ebil gubmint'. I would have thought those guys would have been locked and loaded. Thank God they didn't.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
Hail Satan

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Cimber posted:

The thing that surprised me, and still surprises me, is that not one of those numbfucks use a firearm against 'the ebil gubmint'. I would have thought those guys would have been locked and loaded. Thank God they didn't.

Probably couldn't get anywhere near the rally that juiced them up if they were armed.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Republicans posted:

Probably couldn't get anywhere near the rally that juiced them up if they were armed.

Well, remember during the Jan 6th hearings it came out that they were bypassing metal detectors, Trump was informed of that and he basically said "Yeah? So what, they love me, let 'em come."

I suspect that most of 'em came not expecting a fight, didn't want the hassle of getting caught in DC with a gun and later on got fired up by incendiary speeches. But still, I'm surprised someone didn't take a potshot, especially after the shooting death.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Cimber posted:

Well, remember during the Jan 6th hearings it came out that they were bypassing metal detectors, Trump was informed of that and he basically said "Yeah? So what, they love me, let 'em come."

I suspect that most of 'em came not expecting a fight, didn't want the hassle of getting caught in DC with a gun and later on got fired up by incendiary speeches.

His exact words were “they’re not here to shoot me,” for maximal shadiness.

Also there were caches of weapons outside D.C., so the option was just across state lines from the table, so to speak.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Cimber posted:

I suspect that most of 'em came not expecting a fight, didn't want the hassle of getting caught in DC with a gun and later on got fired up by incendiary speeches. But still, I'm surprised someone didn't take a potshot, especially after the shooting death.

Didn’t a whole pile of them stash their weapons right on the MD side of the border, so they’d be close by?

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

I believe so, and there was a whole thing about keeping the DC Guard in the barracks. Since it's not a state, the mayor can't just call out the nation guard on their own.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
And there's record of at least quite a few of them saying some pretty strong words about what they planned to do before hand.

I mean it is easy just to type words on the internet though. Even the ones that were indicating they were planning more violent actions before hand I doubt would of done anything if there wasn't a massive eager crowd with them.

Two dozen or so old fat geezers in cameo gear would of been treated very differently if they had come to try and break into congress by themselves.

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
420TrumpWeedEveryDay420

Just realized that Trump would come back into power exactly when legal recreational weed becomes available in the state I'm currently living-in (MN).

Then I'll enjoy it for about a week before everything gets rolled back by conspicuous federal overreach to throw red meat to the base.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Reposting in the correct thread! edit

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

SpeakSlow posted:

420TrumpWeedEveryDay420

Just realized that Trump would come back into power exactly when legal recreational weed becomes available in the state I'm currently living-in (MN).

Then I'll enjoy it for about a week before everything gets rolled back by conspicuous federal overreach to throw red meat to the base.

Seems like Trump would try to take credit for it instead

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Great. Trump Blunts.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
I'm still kind of surprised that more insane trumpers either didn't bring or pull out guns at a capitol. Even from their completely disingenuous stated POV of where all the bad actors were federal agents doing Yet Another False Flag to discredit the god loving white man, wouldn't you want to cause the maximum amount of chaos to make everyone look worse?

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
It’s because the crowd was liberal antifa super soldiers. They don’t even own guns.

Just there to make Trump look bad.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Mercury_Storm posted:

I'm still kind of surprised that more insane trumpers either didn't bring or pull out guns at a capitol. Even from their completely disingenuous stated POV of where all the bad actors were federal agents doing Yet Another False Flag to discredit the god loving white man, wouldn't you want to cause the maximum amount of chaos to make everyone look worse?

They love talking tough and cosplaying as cowboys, but don't actually want anything to do with an actual fight. Obviously there were some people mixed in who it is surprising that they didn't take the chance to make their psychopathic dreams come true. The vast majority of them are delusional cowards who were certain everyone would stand by and clap as they installed America's God King.

Actually shooting at cops would run counter to their internal narratives, while also moving things beyond playacting at being revolutionaries.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
So how much has Trump been able to delay all of these timelines? Are we screwed?

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Didn't most of the Jan 6 rioters fly in to DC? It's not exactly easy to fly with a gun.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Think the Proud Boys were supposed to bring the hors-d’oeuvres guns & other meelee weapons in their sport-virility vehicles

Pillowpants posted:

So how much has Trump been able to delay all of these timelines? Are we screwed?

No more delay, so far, than has been anticipated. So no: not yet

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

PainterofCrap posted:

Think the Proud Boys were supposed to bring the hors-d’oeuvres guns & other meelee weapons in their sport-virility vehicles

They did but left them outside city limits. I remember one guy had a gun in his car that got caught; probably a lot more in that boat who got swept up in the moment and didn’t want to miss anything to go back for it.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Slo-Tek posted:

This is kinda Trump's thing though, right? He spent a bunch of time accusing some FBI people or another of fuckin' on the sly, which means he didn't do crimes. Or something.
yeah, some chud made a "play" of two people just reading the texts back and forth

trump calling his opponent "crooked" and chanting "lock them up" while pointing to their emails? what a new and daring plan

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 4 days!)

dr_rat posted:

Two dozen or so old fat geezers in cameo gear would of been treated very differently if they had come to try and break into congress by themselves.

Word up!

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Charliegrs posted:

Didn't most of the Jan 6 rioters fly in to DC? It's not exactly easy to fly with a gun.

DC is within kissing distance of the South. Plus Trump was doing his Ungrateful Deadhead tour leading up to his rally. So while some people certainly flew in, absolute fucktons did a road trip pilgrimage. Especially all the ones publicly posting their plans to revolt for weeks and weeks in advance.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Hey if all the insurrectionists had taken their fashion inspirations from Cameo a certain famous someone would probably be alive today!

Trazz
Jun 11, 2008
The weed number

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Several dozen of the Jan 6th people had weapons stored nearby/brought with them. One of those "Patriot" groups had a large stockpile of guns and ammo in a nearby hotel room.

But, I believe they only caught 6 or 7 people inside the capitol with guns. Most of them were using knives, improvised weapons from nearby things, or pepper spray/mace. Once they got in to the Capitol, there wasn't much actual fighting.

There was also a weapons cache with 15 guns near the capitol that they found, but never figured out who owned it or put it there.

Plus, the person who put down the two pipe bombs who still hasn't been identified.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jan 10, 2024

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The New York Board of Elections has announced their intention to rule on whether Trump can appear on the NY primary ballot on Feb 6. This won't really affect the election since NY is still solid blue, but it does show how section 3 mania is spreading and SCOTUS will not be able to punt on it without throwing the country into chaos. The board is evenly divided party-wise so it could theoretically deadlock and leave everything up to them anyway

haveblue fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jan 10, 2024

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

haveblue posted:

The New York Board of Elections has announced their intention to rule on whether Trump can appear on the NY primary ballot on Feb 6. This won't really affect the election since NY is still solid blue, but it does show how section 3 mania is spreading and SCOTUS will not be able to punt or ignore it without throwing the country into chaos

It won't really effect the presidential election, sure, but as a New Yorker I'd really like it for down-ballot issues. Big chunks of upstate are pretty red and Hochul's been polarizing since she occasionally does her job and tries to make things work in the state. I remember getting into a screaming match with my sister (who is a loving lawyer) because she is worried about "criminals getting out on bail" which loving lol.

And also because it really sends a nice petty message when his home state says he can't run.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Xiahou Dun posted:

It won't really effect the presidential election, sure, but as a New Yorker I'd really like it for down-ballot issues. Big chunks of upstate are pretty red and Hochul's been polarizing since she occasionally does her job and tries to make things work in the state. I remember getting into a screaming match with my sister (who is a loving lawyer) because she is worried about "criminals getting out on bail" which loving lol.

And also because it really sends a nice petty message when his home state says he can't run.

I think you can tell that most of the New York Democratic Party didn't want bail reform by how badly it has been defended and how badly they just give into Republican framing of the issue. I'm amazed it somehow passed in the first place.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Eric Cantonese posted:

I think you can tell that most of the New York Democratic Party didn't want bail reform by how badly it has been defended and how badly they just give into Republican framing of the issue. I'm amazed it somehow passed in the first place.

It's an issue where if you have any familiarity with it at all you obviously support not just "reform" but abolition -- there's no real reason for a "get out of jail, for a fee" card to exist, either you're a danger and you should be locked up till trial or you aren't and you shouldn't be. But we have different legal systems for the rich and the poor and judges tend to rule as if "black" and "dangerous" were synonyms so here we are.

But everyone who doesn't have experience with the system goes into blind panic when reform is even mentioned so welp America.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
Daily Beast thinks the Fani Willis thing is a nothing burger even if she had a relationship:

https://archive.ph/2024.01.09-202045/https://www.thedailybeast.com/fani-willis-allegations-wont-put-trumps-georgia-prosecution-at-risk

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

The Daily Beast is missing a poo poo ton of the point.

The potential conflict of interest doesn't impact the case directly, that's true. It does potentially conflict out Willis and her office. If this happens, the case may be killed by any number of means.

Just because there is not a conflict of interest in the case against Trump doesn't mean that there isn't a disqualifying conflict of interest in the hiring of the prosecutor. If this turns out to be a thing, it's going to be bad, and is possibly going to ruin the Georgia case.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
In theory it might conflict out here office but it also might not. Like, prosecutors are allowed to be biased against defendants. That's their job. Taking money to do prosecutions is also their job. Willis has authority to hire people.

I've had a lot of conversations with clients where I had to explain that yes the prosecutor was being a jerk but that was their job. I've also successfully gotten cases reassigned to other prosecutors when they were too obviously a jerk (in writing). So yeah there's potential here to derail things but it might turn out to have been allowable.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

In theory it might conflict out here office but it also might not. Like, prosecutors are allowed to be biased against defendants. That's their job. Taking money to do prosecutions is also their job. Willis has authority to hire people.

In a conflict of interest people often do things that they are otherwise allowed to do.

I'm not sure if this falls under the guidelines in Georgia but it's pretty clear that it easily could and that if it does it could be devastating.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

quote:

Donald Trump won’t make his own closing argument in his New York civil business fraud trial after his lawyers objected to the judge’s insistence that the former president would stick to “relevant” matters.

Judge Arthur Engoron rescinded permission on Wednesday, a day ahead of closing arguments in the trial.

Not surprisingly Trump was trying to turn his fraud trial into a political rally.

Trazz
Jun 11, 2008

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Plus, the person who put down the two pipe bombs who still hasn't been identified.
You mean Marjorie Taylor Greene?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

How did that joke/rumor start anyways?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Randalor posted:

How did that joke/rumor start anyways?

Security footage showed a person who’s profile COULD be similar if you squint, and it’d definitely be on brand for her.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Murgos posted:

Not surprisingly Trump was trying to turn his fraud trial into a political rally.

I read the docketed email exchange between the Judge and the Trump lawyers. Its short and worth a laugh, and you should read it too.

https://iapps.courts.state.ny.us/fbem/DocumentDisplayServlet?documentId=_PLUS_cASZsP0hNiBQOHYbw_PLUS_TPQ==&system=prod

Apparently the death of his Mother in Law has him so broken up he's asked that the final arguments be moved until January 28th. The judge must have laughed at that.

also trumps lawyer who's shift key is broken is pretty funny too because he doesn't use capital letters at all and often misses punctuation and forms run on sentences that are really annoying to read

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Fart Amplifier posted:

In a conflict of interest people often do things that they are otherwise allowed to do.

I'm not sure if this falls under the guidelines in Georgia but it's pretty clear that it easily could and that if it does it could be devastating.

Yeah the issue with a CoI isn't that they did stuff which is, ipso facto, unacceptable - it's that it erodes confidence in everything they did, because there's no way to know if something was decided by the appropriate criteria or because someone is screwing someone else. If these allegations are true it's still entirely possible that Willis has only ever made completely professional hiring/pay/etc decisions, but it's also possible she made those decisions for less commendable reasons, and the perception of that risk is utterly corrosive, probably more than most actual corruption or bias in itself could ever be. It stains an entire office or institution's work.