Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Hostile V posted:

Drive It Like You Invented It

I want to recognize that you made a way funnier joke introducing this panel than the panel made itself.

e: gently caress, what a miserable snipe. uhhhhhhhhhhh since I'm one of the only remaining edit makers:

I panicked, okay!?

LvK fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jan 10, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Feb. 26, 1961)

Er... Foster's not alluding to what I think he is here, is he?

Fake Edit: Huh, didn't there use to be a Chris Hansen / To Catch a Predator smilie?

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
Child slavery? Yes that's what's happening

Rape? Not directly or necessarily or he might have had the bad guys already do it, but it's not good either way

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

LvK posted:

I want to recognize that you made a way funnier joke introducing this panel than the panel made itself.
:tipshat: Also good edit.

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

Giant Ethicist posted:

We Are Reproducing

The return of the adorable little fuckin' baby flail in the bottom right panel!

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

Malachite_Dragon posted:

The moral: owning Copper Ma is not only right, it is a moral imperative.

Chris Knight's account?
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089886/

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Toasted PB&J rules and it's totally worth how messy it is to eat. Makes me sad I'm allergic to peanuts now.

EasyEW posted:

Mousetrapped

Weakheart was Dinky Doodle's dog in another Walter Lantz series for the Bray Studio. The name was a rib on Strongheart (born Etzel von Oeringen), a German shepherd film star who preceded Rin Tin Tin by a few years.

I feel like just yelling "NO REALLY THIS IS TOTALLY STEAMBOAT WILLIE MICKEY AND NOT NORMAL MICKEY" without any other signifiers to differentiate him might not be enough to keep it in the public domain, but what do I know? I'm not a copyright lawyer.

Luann

I guess we're supposed to be disappointed that she might go back to doing a thing she enjoys and makes money from, but gave up to please her wet fart of a boyfriend who isn't even there right now.

Gil Thorp

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Julet Esqu posted:

I feel like just yelling "NO REALLY THIS IS TOTALLY STEAMBOAT WILLIE MICKEY AND NOT NORMAL MICKEY" without any other signifiers to differentiate him might not be enough to keep it in the public domain, but what do I know? I'm not a copyright lawyer.

John Allison managed to briefly get away with an obvious Batman fan comic in Allisonverse clothing.

Randy Milholland will not manage to get away with angering the trillion-dollar industry that is Disney's legal department.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Corto Maltese

Blueberry

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Over here
https://forums.somethingawful.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=28589

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

I'll be damned

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
1981 comics

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Mexikid Stories

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From The Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side Of The Horse

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Strontium posted:

This guy LOVES his wife!

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Strontium posted:

I'm not doing another Tinkersons bed-wetting edit. I think my soul needs a cooldown for that.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Did Barajas just get a MILF joke past the censors?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori

An Iskender, by the way, is a kebab dish with fried pita cubes as a condiment instead or rice or fries.

God, I could go for a kebab right about now.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

maybeadracula posted:

Child slavery? Yes that's what's happening

Rape? Not directly or necessarily or he might have had the bad guys already do it, but it's not good either way
I don't think you'd have gotten away with having the bad guys rape the kids even in the edgy 90s let alone today* and most certainly not in the 40s, but the idea is definitely present in depicting slavery, child or not, without needing to be stated; but at the same time you can say it's "just" a slavery story which is bad enough as it is, really.

*the idea of G.R.R.Martin writing Prince Valiant is at once compelling and abhorrent

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

My Lovely Horse posted:

*the idea of G.R.R.Martin writing Prince Valiant is at once compelling and abhorrent

Gundar Harl's ship croaked and growled beneath him like a constipated fat man straining to poo poo.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
I don't think Foster meant that panel to suggest the kids are being sold for sexual reasons, although with slavery I'm sure that would always be a danger.

Vintage Valiant (Mar. 05, 1961)

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010
Wonder if Val is going to have to put yet another settlement to the torch if the governor pisses him off.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Is Boltar with Val? This adventure is getting extra killy.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

A LOTTA people gonna be dead after this.

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

can't believe Rene and Crankshaft died the same week

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

didn't even realize we'd hit the 60s already with Valiant

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Finally jumping on the Prince Valiant train. I thought this is all fantasy world so the North African slave market threw me off.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Mokotow posted:

Finally jumping on the Prince Valiant train. I thought this is all fantasy world so the North African slave market threw me off.
Nope. Earth, "In the days of King Arthur" as the title logo says.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 1/9/04

Brenda Starr 5/29-31/52

Smokey Stover 2/8/59

Everyday Movies 2/17/37

"First I heard the job was for a manager. When I 'phoned it was just supposed to be a routine job, and when I called they wanted me to sell on commission."

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 11/26-28/42

I'm not sure what I like more, the 75 crimes in three weeks -- you gotta be a really dedicated criminal to pull off three and a half crimes every day -- or "Nazi say of Russia: Br-r-r."

Closer Than We Think! 2/8/59

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Tiggum posted:

How, Greg? He's a child. You want him to get a job?

There are people in the USA right now who want to completely abolish child labor laws (and have already done some of that), so yes.

Lmao

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Valiant: You know, it was getting too quiet around here, I haven't killed anyone in like two days.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Cul de Sac

Foxtrot Classix

Rose is Rose

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

I guess we're supposed to be disappointed that she might go back to doing a thing she enjoys and makes money from, but gave up to please her wet fart of a boyfriend who isn't even there right now.
I've never had a grilled PBJ, but used to eat grilled peanut butter sandwiches as a kid all the time. I didn't love the J back then because my mom always bought preserves because it's "healthier". Spoilers: putting bits of whole fruit in jam does not make it in any way healthier, it just makes it more annoying to eat.

Anyway, Bets and Gunther may somehow be the least healthy relationship in this stupid strip (granted, there's only a handful). You're allowed to have separate interests, dummies! It's fine!

THORN, February 10-15, 1983

I love Ted's hat and scarf here.

Thanks, Jeff. Very helpful.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

A MILF joke in Gil Thorp? That's pretty great.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Haifisch posted:

1981 comics

:lol: For reference, Pope John Paul II and President Reagan had both been shot in the previous couple of months. (Both survived.)

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Flash Gordon

With a name like Azura, I bet you would have expected her to be wearing blue. Nope.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Powered Descent posted:

Flash Gordon

With a name like Azura, I bet you would have expected her to be wearing blue. Nope.

They remembered to invite the witch to the wedding, so there hopefully won't be any vengeful curses laid on anyone.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Some Guy TT posted:

The Demons of Baseball

the end no moral dot jay peg

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Curtis

Forum accident
Jun 15, 2006

All hail Thor...the THUNDER GOD!
Frank and Ernest

(9/24/1993)

(9/25/1993)

Ziggy

(7/3/1971)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

CzarChasm posted:

A MILF joke in Gil Thorp? That's pretty great.

I think they can go the extra mile and give us Gilf Thorpe