Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Cyberpunk 2077 has the unusual situation of saving and loading shockingly fast within the game, but when you click play from the launcher it takes so long to initially launch that I thought something was actually wrong with my installation/machine the first few times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
YIIK is a lot like the Duchamp toilet.

Technically, it's a piece of art. Practically speaking, it's just a receptial for piss

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Im really late to the party but holy poo poo Pentiment is good

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Just came out on Game Pass, is AC Valhalla worth playing through? I enjoyed Origins and loved Odyssey and their one singular main character. Don't know much about it but I immediately assume the main lead isn't as likable at least.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

i loved odyssey, could not get into valhalla at all

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Artelier posted:

Just came out on Game Pass, is AC Valhalla worth playing through? I enjoyed Origins and loved Odyssey and their one singular main character. Don't know much about it but I immediately assume the main lead isn't as likable at least.

It's boring as poo poo. And I say that as someone that loved Odyssey and Origins.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Remember the part in YIIK where you can bully one your of party members into committing suicide?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
No but I remember how it used an IRL suicide case for its dumb plot

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

a real rude dude posted:

Never too late for the Pentiment party.

Re: postmodern RPGs: DDLC?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Artelier posted:

I liked it, but its the weakest of the three RPGs.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Artelier posted:

The main character is boring as poo poo and their sole motivation is "we should go invade England or something" for reasons I can't even recall. They have zero actual personality.

The map is the usual Ubisoft marker-fest, but without any real desire to see Eivor's "story" continue, I gave up on it after the first major area.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

The main character is boring as poo poo and their sole motivation is "we should go invade England or something" for reasons I can't even recall. They have zero actual personality.

The map is the usual Ubisoft marker-fest, but without any real desire to see Eivor's "story" continue, I gave up on it after the first major area.

Yeah and the biggest problem with the story not having a good motivation behind it, is that it is ultra loving long. Its Witcher 3 or Persona 5 length in time commitment. So you want a story that is going to motivate you to continue at that length.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Who finishes Ubisoft games. You play until you get bored. I’ve never had one last over fifty hours much less whatever hundred plus hours it takes to finish one. Still can be a fine enough ride for a while especially since you can always find a cheap way to play them

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

Hwurmp posted:

what would an actual postmodern RPG be like

would Hylics or Off count
Wooden Ocean

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

FZeroRacer posted:

Wooden Ocean

this is the actual answer

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

FuzzySlippers posted:

Who finishes Ubisoft games. You play until you get bored. I’ve never had one last over fifty hours much less whatever hundred plus hours it takes to finish one. Still can be a fine enough ride for a while especially since you can always find a cheap way to play them

I'm the freak that finishes those games. Have completed the last four Assassin's Creeds, Avatar: Frontier of Pandroa, all of the Far Cry games, the stories for Division 1 & 2

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Sab669 posted:

My favorite part of gaming in the modern era is when you have to wait an additional 30 seconds before you can play just so it can try to sell you DLC every single time you launch it

Ubisoft in particular is awful about this

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Kanfy posted:

As someone who got really into Pathfinder Kingmaker to the point of clocking over 200 hours into it, there are definitely some games I find best enjoyed with high amounts of foreknowledge as well.

So true. I'm enjoying the game, but so many of the basic mechanics are inscrutable, and the only in game mechanism to deal with it is an option toggle to disable them all rather than engage with them -- because the tutorial does gently caress all to explain how they work. Or how to access them. Or what will happen when you finally do interact with them.

My learning curve has been 2 parts online research, 1 part accidental discovery every time I get a Journal update letting me know it is time to do some new city thing. Some basic tool tips might have been in order. Like -- Hey, if you choose this thing, then the calendar is going to auto-advance two weeks whether you had other crap you needed to get done first or not. Or things like, hey, if you need to know what day of the week it is in game, instead of putting that up in the header with the other useful information, you need to go to this sub-menu and then over the mouse over this SPECIFIC part of the screen.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Enclave is cool but the melee is bad.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

FuzzySlippers posted:

Same.

Ubisoft makes the video game equivalent of frozen pizza and I usually buy one them once in a blue moon for 20 bux, play it until I hate myself and them never look at it again.

I would recommend Watch Dogs 2 though. It's the last Ubisoft game that was actually pretty good.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

FuzzySlippers posted:

Yeah, I think the last one I actually finished was... Assassin's Creed 2? All the others I play until I get bored of the gameplay. Got pretty close with Syndicate and Origins, but didn't quite make it over the finish line.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

repiv posted:

good news everyone they're making more yiik

Based on what Andrew said in this Yiik (Fan)zine, the new update is gonna approach the original story from the perspective of how Yiik was received on release. Which is what I find most fascinating as the Allanson bros have gone out of their way to isolate themselves from the wider internet (by having, as far as I can tell, volunteers run any public-facing social media) besides a Yiik fan discord, so I can only imagine how they're getting any kind of accurate representation of what anyone thinks of their game beyond what their fans friends tell them. The brothers have made a point on one of their demo streams that they haven't even seen any of the video essays about the game either.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

quote:

At the time I was very interested in novels by Haruki Murakami,

this is hilarious because Yiik straight up plagiarizes Murakami

quote:

We wanted to explore what happens when people believe they're the main character. And what happens to them when life refuses to comply with that fantasy. After all, almost every story since the 1980s exists to tell you that you're special and that you're the protagonist. You get the girl in the end. All of your efforts will be rewarded. And most important, meaning is something YOU get to create. You are the center of the universe.

and this is really loving hilarious not just in the face of the Allansons' reaction to Yiik being panned, but because Alex Yiik literally is the center of the game's multiverse, the most important person to ever exist, and a lot of the female characters are multiverse copies of the girl he is meant to get

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Combat Lobster posted:

The brothers have made a point on one of their demo streams that they haven't even seen any of the video essays about the game either.

Which means they have absolutely watched a lot of them

mystes
May 31, 2006

Yiikes

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Begemot posted:

Yeah, I think the last one I actually finished was... Assassin's Creed 2? All the others I play until I get bored of the gameplay. Got pretty close with Syndicate and Origins, but didn't quite make it over the finish line.

I played the absolute gently caress out of Black Flag, and it has been so long since then that I can probably play it again and not remember any of it, which is sounding like a great idea.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

FuzzySlippers posted:

I think most people's problems with Valhalla is the boredom point kicks in for them a lot faster than Odyssey or Origins

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
Steam has reversed their ban on AI-generated content.
https://steamcommunity.com/groups/steamworks/announcements/detail/3862463747997849619

Steampunk_Spoon
May 18, 2009
Looking forward to the new era of hentai sliding puzzles this will no doubt usher in.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

FuzzySlippers posted:

I do, but tend to take "weeks off" on my way to 100% completion. That said, I have no doubt that I'm in the minority.

The Ubi game design formula is not a bad one, but it definitely can cause burnout if that's all you're playing.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

a real rude dude posted:

yeah i started playing it last night and suddenly it was two and a half hours later and The Thing had happened. it pops like crazy on oled too. very pretty game.

my resolution this year is to play through all the talky chatty blabby games (pentiment, finally finish disco, elsinore, etc...) but to play them totally opposite of how i normally do. so in pentiment i'm now a whore-goat hedonist who talks poo poo to everyone and fucks everyone over and dgaf about getting optimal resolutions. it's very liberating.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

They need to reverse course

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer

Suicide Squad is going to be DOA. RIP to Rocksteady, yet another dev killed by chasing the GAAS golden ticket. They recently let some gaming journalism sites play it early, this is IGNs' experience:

quote:

Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League Preview – We Played it and Didn't Like it

Rocksteady's first large-scale game in almost nine years is not clicking with us yet.

Unfortunately for Suicide Squad, once the fun story bits end, you’re left with a much less inspired combat system, and an open world that’s filled with tedious tasks.

I left the preview event less optimistic than when I came in.

https://www.ign.com/articles/suicide-squad-kill-the-justice-league-preview-we-played-it-and-didnt-like-it

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

This is probably an unpopular opinion but I can't loving stand damage numbers.

If your combat system feels good and enemies react to the player doing damage in a satisfying way, then putting damage numbers just hides that and makes the experience worse, and if enemies don't react to your doing damage to them then damage numbers are just there in an attempt to hide that, then you can gently caress right off with that poo poo.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Jack Trades posted:

If your combat system feels good and enemies react to the player doing damage in a satisfying way, then putting damage numbers just hides that and makes the experience worse, and if enemies don't react to your doing damage to them then damage numbers are just there in an attempt to hide that, then you can gently caress right off with that poo poo.

It is a popular opinion with me. Number go up is a bane on the hobby.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

This looks like someone told an AI to "just throw some game UI poo poo together" and left it at that.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Also real talk, it is a real shame to see it go that way. I was hoping against hope that Suicide Squad would be good given Rocksteady made one of the greatest game trilogies of all time, but well

I actually quite enjoyed Gotham Knights for what it was, but it is definitely a game that would have gone from flawed gem to pretty good if it didn't have the equipment grindmill and honestly I think that applies to 90% of the games featuring that type of progression.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Hwurmp posted:

this is hilarious because Yiik straight up plagiarizes Murakami

Hey, let's be fair...they slapped a tiny citation into the credits after being thoroughly shamed for stealing poo poo outright. :v:

Jack Trades posted:

I love how many modern ARPGs let you create clouds of giant numbers that lack any actual meaning. I guess that appeals to somebody out there, but not me.