Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I usually get the dagger right after I turn in the knifepoint and Rogier has me accept service to Ranni.

Also, Nepheli did not show up at the Albanauric village. I must have done stuff in an order I never have before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hmm yes
Dec 2, 2000
College Slice
Did you forgot to talk to her outside of gideon’s office? She gives the +weight charm at that point. I miss this often because she stands in the dark in roundtable hold

hmm yes fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jan 10, 2024

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
So, I just maybe had an epiphany because I was reading the last couple pages and am a bit high.

Is the reason Marika and Radagon are the same person because the Elden Ring joined them together into one person within its rules or whatnot? Did all the stuff that specifically mentions Marika and Radagon as separate beings all happen before they decided to get Rune Married and the Golden Order was established? Most of the lore takes place during Crucible Times?

I had never considered that before. Is that a new thing or am I just noticing the sky is blue and this is all well-known?

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

So, I just maybe had an epiphany because I was reading the last couple pages and am a bit high.

Is the reason Marika and Radagon are the same person because the Elden Ring joined them together into one person within its rules or whatnot? Did all the stuff that specifically mentions Marika and Radagon as separate beings all happen before they decided to get Rune Married and the Golden Order was established? Most of the lore takes place during Crucible Times?

I had never considered that before. Is that a new thing or am I just noticing the sky is blue and this is all well-known?

I've always assumed Marika just wanted to escape being a god queen for a day and made up Radagon as an alter ego to go all Joan of Ark on the Carian royalty, but that alter ego is still a god and became a real person and got married to them instead.
Radagon can't stay out forever, leaves the Queen, and marries themself as Marika to avoid public confusion, but I guarantee no one has ever seen both of them in the same place.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!

I actually want to learn more about this too. I thought Marika is a Numen or at least from there while Radagon is an invader from somewhere else? Was Marika even a god before arriving in the Lands Between?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Yeah I'm curious

Was Radagon = Marika supposed to mean Radagon was a hive mind Borg or was Marika doing a Mrs Doubtfire

edit: I'm leaning towards Borg clone because after Marika breaks the ring Radagon tries to repair it

edit: Which could also fit a Dr Jekyll Mr Hyde situation

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jan 10, 2024

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Steve Yun posted:

Yeah I'm curious

Was Radagon = Marika supposed to mean Radagon was a hive mind Borg or was Marika doing a Mrs Doubtfire

I'm leaning towards Borg clone because after Marika breaks the ring Radagon tries to repair it

I like the idea that Ragadon is Marikas silver tear/mimic tear. He was created when Marika was losing faith in the golden order god. Sort of a fail safe. Marika just had her own fail safe in the tarnished that was more effective.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
We don't really know much about Marika or the Numen other than the latter being seldom born so who knows.

Steve Yun posted:

Yeah I'm curious

I've posted about this before but, I'm of the opinion that Radagon was perfected Mimic Tear of Marika that was created by Nox which is what led to their banishment by the Greater Will. The Greater Will not wanting to just let such a useful tool go to waste put Radagon to good use in the wars in Liurnia and eventually marrying Rennala thus removing an obstacle, then the divorce happened leadingmto Rennala's breakdown, etc.. The reasoning for wanting to become "complete" in terms of learning both sorcery and incantations is due to the original programming to become a perfect lord. This would also explain Marika's rather dismissive comments about him not yet being a God like her because she knows he's just a clone. This would also explain the masks of confidence that Radagon made Preceptors wear since the "Law of Regression" incantation is pure intelligence based and thus they'd likely see right through that he's a Mimic Tear of Marika.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jan 10, 2024

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
theories like that don't really hold when the cinematic introduction of the character in question is very explicitly not that thing.

which is a shame because I do really like that line of thinking and think everything about the game except that particular fight supports it.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

doomfunk posted:

theories like that don't really hold when the cinematic introduction of the character in question is very explicitly not that thing.

which is a shame because I do really like that line of thinking and think everything about the game except that particular fight supports it.

I think it fits given the cut quest for mimic tear involves you ingesting it so it's possibly a nod to that. A bunch of stuff got changed and shifted around in development* so it's possible they altered things leaving a bunch of stuff not quite fitting in, but that is still my running theory.

* Some of the changes are the cut Mimic Tear and Kale questlines as well as the dream merchant or the changes to the Banished Knights blatantly being this games versions of the DS2/3 Drakeblood Knights, but that being soft retconned. This wouldn't be the first time since the Demon Prince soul from DS3 referenced his defeat at the hands of Lorian until that was retconned for some reason

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Ooh I have a weird sequence break thing. I got the black knife imprint, but went to give it to Rogier and he wouldn’t take it, just said the “I’m gettin real sleepy” line. Then he died, and Fia still has the “About black knife” line but won’t give me the dagger for D. Does that mess up the Fia/D questline?

Rogier is more of a signpost/additional hook directing the player to other quests. You could miss him entirely and still do the other quests.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Is it wrong to try to sleep with a mimic tear you picked up in a dungeon

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

Is it wrong to try to sleep with a mimic tear you picked up in a dungeon

It costs hp rather than fp so it will likely kill you while doing so

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Use a warming stone before engaging in activity with your mimic tear for maximum results

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Were Malenia and Miquella inbred because Marika consummated with someone who had her same dna

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

Steve Yun posted:

Were Malenia and Miquella inbred because Marika consummated with someone who had her same dna

I know GRRM was involved but this is probably thinking about it much too literally

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Steve Yun posted:

Honestly probably? They're both cursed as hell even for the divine family, and the only other one of their various off-spring who was an Empyreal is Ranni who appears to have been perfectly healthy until she got her body killed on purpose.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Jan 10, 2024

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Steve Yun posted:

If it works like Greek Gods do, no.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

When has GRRM even written a story about hosed up incest children

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Steve Yun posted:

Rot Goddess’ Remembrance description does suggest something like this, yes.

quote:

Miquella and Malenia are both the children of a single god. As such they are both Empyreans, but suffered afflictions from birth. One was cursed with eternal childhood, and the other harbored rot within.

Not sure if DNA necessarily comes into it but this game has enough evolution-themed stuff and symbolic helixes that I’m gonna say yeah, why not.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Radagon is probably somehow derived from the qualities of Fire Giants being infused into Marika by the Crucible. He's noted as hating his own red hair in an item description for a weapon that is literally made of red Fire Giant hair. So they're one person, and there's a pretty good chance Radagon never had an independent existence (although there presumably was a time when Marika existed without him), and it all happened before any of the stuff with Rennala, let alone the Shattering, but he didn't just come out of nowhere either.

e: This fusion is also likely the reason why the Fire Giants' flame occasionally appears within the visions of Golden Order prophets.

e2: Relevant item lore:

Pretty much all of the Flame Monk / Giant's Flame incantations, but especially https://eldenring.wiki.fextralife.com/Flame+Sling

https://eldenring.wiki.fextralife.com/Giant%27s+Red+Braid

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Jan 10, 2024

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Lord_Magmar posted:

Honestly probably? They're both cursed as hell even for the divine family, and the only other one of their various off-spring who was an Empyreal is Ranni who appears to have been perfectly healthy until she got her body killed on purpose.

Huh, TIL.

I thought all the kids of Marika (and Radagon by extension) were Empyreans, but I guess most were just Demigods?

I know the definition of Empyrean is "someone who can be the next God(dess), but does the game ever explain the actual requirement for that?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

skasion posted:

Rot Goddess’ Remembrance description does suggest something like this, yes.

Not sure if DNA necessarily comes into it but this game has enough evolution-themed stuff and symbolic helixes that I’m gonna say yeah, why not.

Hadn't really considered it before but I guess maybe Miquella also inherited the gender ambiguity/dual nature too. Or it's just yet another flavor of dualism, alternate identity, or who knows.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jan 10, 2024

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Annath posted:

Huh, TIL.

I thought all the kids of Marika (and Radagon by extension) were Empyreans, but I guess most were just Demigods?

I know the definition of Empyrean is "someone who can be the next God(dess), but does the game ever explain the actual requirement for that?

The only Empyreans are Ranni, Miquella, and Malenia. Ranni states this directly if you advance her quest.

It's not clear what the exact criteria are. It might just be being born a girl, but that depends on making some assumptions about Miquella. It might be related to the "child of one god" thing, but that depends on making some assumptions about Ranni and all the "cuckoo" imagery in Liurnia. Ultimately, we don't actually know.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Decent enough odds that it's just who the greater will wants.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Thread, what's the best dex weapon? I've run previous DS games strength, farted around with casters but wasn't mad keen so am a samurai currently. Is there anything particularly fun I should be on the look out for?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Thread, what's the best dex weapon? I've run previous DS games strength, farted around with casters but wasn't mad keen so am a samurai currently. Is there anything particularly fun I should be on the look out for?

Dual Uchigatanas is super effective and easy to get, if a little bland.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Fast and angry or long and pokey?

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I will always go to bat for the Guardian Swordspear. I personally used it as a dex/faith weapon, but it's best as a pure dex wep

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Annath posted:

Dual Uchigatanas is super effective and easy to get, if a little bland.

Dyz posted:

Fast and angry or long and pokey?

I have dual uchis at the moment, picked up a couple of twin blades I'm yet to try and got the longboi katana too. Last I used a twin blade was DS2 but I found powerstancing maces more fun because bonk-bonk.

Gologle posted:

I will always go to bat for the Guardian Swordspear. I personally used it as a dex/faith weapon, but it's best as a pure dex wep

I'll keep an eye out.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Is powerstancing a thing in ER? I don't recall it really being carried forward to DS3.

In DS2 it gave you completely different movesets, and in some cases combined different weapon types, but in DS3 I seem to remember it basically just being the 1H moveset for each hand.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
powerstancing in ER is basically automatic for same type weapons and it rules. it's so good.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

only thing i miss was that some powerstances in ds2 had special powerstance moves not unlike ashes of war. always feel a little sad using ashes with only my mainhand

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Annath posted:

Is powerstancing a thing in ER? I don't recall it really being carried forward to DS3.

In DS2 it gave you completely different movesets, and in some cases combined different weapon types, but in DS3 I seem to remember it basically just being the 1H moveset for each hand.

'powerstance' weapons in DS3 were only through the twinned weapon sets like the knight's blades and the drang maces. No native dual wielding

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
A Short Stint in Stormveil

After the advice I received, I went back to the Roundtable and picked up a catalyst for incantations. Turns out I wasted my runes.

While I was there, I did the rounds of talking to all the NPCs, and came across a quest I had forgotten I had - to go and meet up with the Beast Cleric (I think that's what he was called). A guy at the Roundtable marked a spot on my map earlier, and he reminded me of it, so I decided to go out and find this portal and give him the deathroot. Well, did that, and got a nice free catalyst I could use in return. So bully for me. I really thought the NPC was pointing me towards a boss fight.

Afterwards, I headed back to the Weeping Peninsula to see if I could find any more merchants. There was one resting near one of the sites of grace, but I had already visited him - I purchased his hintbook, which told me that demihumans panic when their leader is defeated. Well, that certainly came in handy when I discovered the demihuman ruins up north on the peninsula.

Finally, I went back to Stormveil to try and do a full clear. I began at the front gate and followed my initial path through the castle. Along the way, I figured out how to get one of the two items I knew were still sitting there - the one I figured out was sitting in a hole just too high to jump up. That's the one where you have to go outside, up some stairs, then drop down to a tiny ledge right before you re-enter the castle to find a halberd knight. Of course it was just a bit of crafting material.

Then I spent about 30 minutes running all around the lower levels, failing to figure out how to get the item sitting on the scaffolding in the big hall. I've found the door I can't open that would lead to it, and after looking carefully, I'm pretty sure I know I need to get to the window above the scaffolding to jump down - but I cannot figure out how to get to that window. That doesn't matter right now because as I continued my exploration, I discovered a way deeper. Then deeper. And even deeper. Then a eldritch abomination monstrosity ripped it's way out of the ground and mulched me. I ended up just sprinting past that jerkass, I'll be back to fight him another time. I was really hoping the path would lead me to the item, but no such luck.

I ended the session by banging my head against the big golden knight in the path after you jump down through the crumbling ledge. When I load it back up again, that's where I'll be headed first.

The depth of this game continues to impress.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Nicely done, it's easy to miss the knight rear end in a top hat under that ledge! Don't feel bothered if you find the knight or the... thing at the bottom of Stormveil difficult - It's hard to learn how to deal with them, a lot of folks return and kill them later.
If you do kill the eldritch abomination, it's worth taking a very close look at everything in the room beyond it.

The beast cleric's talisman is pretty cool because it scales really well with strength, making Muscle Priest a viable build and letting big bonk players still be somewhat effective spellcasters.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

One of my friends ragequit last night after losing ~10k runes from plummeting down an elevator shaft that he thought was called up on his way back to the boss room. Pretty funny but also I told him that you will lose a LOT more than that and the sooner you come to terms with it the sooner the healing process can begin.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

Fruits of the sea posted:

The beast cleric's talisman is pretty cool because it scales really well with strength, making Muscle Priest a viable build and letting big bonk players still be somewhat effective spellcasters.

Yeah, I noticed that, and it works perfectly for me because my first playthrough of any Souls game is always a strength build - I'm currently using a +5 Banished Knight's Greatsword which is a placeholder until I can find the Zweihander. And I had already made the decision to dip into faith for poison healing purposes, along with a little pyro power. I like that every prayerbook I've found so far is heretical, according to the incantation merchant at the Roundtable.

Bifner McDoogle
Mar 31, 2006

"Life unworthy of life" (German: Lebensunwertes Leben) is a pragmatic liberal designation for the segments of the populace which they view as having no right to continue existing, due to the expense of extending them basic human dignity.

Annath posted:

Powerstancing is a thing and can be done with any 2 weapons of the same type to change their moveset (2 daggers, two greatswords, ect.). It's probably the best thing they carried over from DS2 - dual weilding feels a bit goofy in souls games since you've got less upgrade materials and weapons, but with how big the world is here the mechanic really shines through.

Pro tip: the one exception to the powerstance rule comes from the boat anchor and pickaxe, which can be powerstanced even though they are different weapon types. They also do peirce damage, making them one of the best combos in the game - a jumping dual attack will one-shot any soldier attempting to block.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Bifner McDoogle posted:

Pro tip: the one exception to the powerstance rule comes from the boat anchor and pickaxe, which can be powerstanced even though they are different weapon types. They also do peirce damage, making them one of the best combos in the game - a jumping dual attack will one-shot any soldier attempting to block.

That seems bizarre when reading that, why is that the case?

Another minor note about power stancing - you can power stance a katana and a wakizashi, which is technically a dagger. It just acts like another katana.