Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Solefald posted:

It just felt way too close to home and I'll be honest it hurt a little bit. I've been on the receiving end of it a lot and it loving sucks lol

Sorry again for that - digital hugs.

During the Sarikamis Battle, the Ottoman army runs out of ammunition and appeals to the people of Van for help, who happen to have supplies. However, the First World War is on and all men are fighting at four corners of the empire and therefore can not respond to to the appeal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

grobbo posted:

I wasn't offended, but if it helps shine any light, I did empathise with your acquaintance a bit when I read your post.

Finding out that I was autistic as an adult (for me, at least) felt like a lot of different pieces falling together all at once; it was the first clear explanation I'd had beyond 'there's something wrong with me' as to why I'd always found it so exhausting and frightening trying keeping up basic social behaviours that seemed to come so easily to others - feigning interest or an emotional response that I didn't really feel, constantly arranging my face into the right reactions to other people's conversation to appear 'normal', constantly checking and reviewing my words before I spoke.

Which is what I understand is meant by masking - not just social performance, but the long-term weight and effort that comes with suppressing yourself out in public, putting on that act, the constant underlying terror that you'll slip up somewhere and consequently get a failing grade on being a human being.

I can get how liberating it might feel, especially while you're still figuring yourself out - even if you know that it's rude and unfair and it's going to come back to bite you - to be able to tell your acquaintances that you're actually not interested in the small talk about holidays or weekend excursions that you've already had to navigate a thousand times while not really understanding why everyone else seemed to be enjoying it so much. Because the declaration you're really making to yourself is that it's OK to feel this way.

Actually this resonates a lot with me. I've often wondered if I might be 'spectrum' but have never sought a diagnosis and now I'm in my 60s never will. But I do find social occasions utterly exhausting exactly in the way you describe here.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

My mum was a Special Educational Needs Coordinator back when she was working and I remember in my teens asking her if maybe I'm autistic and she laughed harder than I'd seen her laugh in a while.

Turns out that no, while I displayed many of the commonly ascribed negative stereotypes of autism (not all accurate, but I wasn't to know at that age), I am apparently extremely allistic. I'm just obnoxious.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
If you're an autistic teenager who doesn't want to mask (or wants to un-mask) that's fine, because presumably there will be people around you who can support you to explain why you don't demonstrate neurotypical behaviours.

If you're an adult who doesn't want to mask (or wants to un-mask) that's also fine, but it is your responsibility to explain why you don't demonstrate neurotypical behaviours in the event that this causes a problem for you, if you want to avoid the problem.

It is also important - as someone else pointed out - that we don't infantilise autistic people. It is very possible to be autistic and also be a dickhead intentionally.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
The CPS are refusing to admit if Kier was in charge when it took 27 postmasters to court.

Lmao

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I got an autism diagnosis in my late thirties, and suddenly everything made sense.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Pistol_Pete posted:

It's Sanford's fault, he started all this with his work anecdote. This is all on you, Sanford!

Christ alive. Wait till I tell my colleague what he’s done!

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

serious gaylord posted:

The CPS are refusing to admit if Kier was in charge when it took 27 postmasters to court.

Lmao

Surely this is incredibly easy to work out? We know when Kier was in charge, we know when the postmasters went to court?

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

EvilHawk posted:

Surely this is incredibly easy to work out? We know when Kier was in charge, we know when the postmasters went to court?

haha yes, i wonder what the answer is

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

This should be the easiest thing in the world for him to get out of: "like many, I was taken in by the Post Office's cover-up of the Horizon failings; knowing what I do now I would not have taken up any of these prosecutions. I can only apologise to those who we wrongfully prosecuted and support a blanket pardon"

Doesn't have to mention compensation, and if asked just say that a cross-party committee should see justice done.

But I'm guessing that Mr Human Rights will instead double down.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

I'd like to thank everyone for sharing stories and explaining re: masking because I wasn't really aware of the whole thing and I'm glad to have learned.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I didn't realise we had to unmask, I just worked a lot harder at making the mask better.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

If I unmask it'd shitcan my job and drastically mess up the mental health of those around me who rely on my support, so I can't really. It's all so very draining, but learning that it IS what was draining me helped a shitload regardless as you can just stop and go "wait, I need a break" and politely excuse yourself most times.

Different for everyone though. I have ADHD as well so I basically ping pong all over the loving shop.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
like flubber

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Angrymog posted:

I got an autism diagnosis in my late thirties, and suddenly everything made sense.

Yeah, I suspect a diagnosis of autism would make a lot of me make more sense.

Or prove I've just been an allistic arsehole all this time, which I suppose would make sense too.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

crispix posted:

like flubber

You know me well

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Wouldn't flubber if it actually existed pretty much shatter the bones and horribly kill everyone in that film. Like conservation of momentum...that force has to go somewhere and it's probably coming out of your knees.

Also wouldn't the flying car be like...dangling vertically suspended by the bonnet?

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Well look who it is - still being given a platform unquestioned- opining on standards in public life

https://twitter.com/mattchorley/status/1744759583820722408?s=46

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

smellmycheese posted:

Well look who it is - still being given a platform unquestioned- opining on standards in public life

https://twitter.com/mattchorley/status/1744759583820722408?s=46

lol Chorley blocked me for asking why he was hosting Peter Mandelson after it came out that he was mates with Jeffrey Epstein.

To be fair I called him a pug faced goblin as well but I really think it's the Mandelson stuff that upset him.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

serious gaylord posted:

Lmao

The CPS weren't involved with those prosecutions iirc, so the point is irrelevant. The Post Office instigated private prosecutions against the postmasters

e: Oops, I stand corrected. The CPS did prosecute 27 according to today's Telegraph. Lol Keith

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Jan 10, 2024

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Chorley P.I.E., coming in your ears

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
The times do overlap but not by much as the prosecutions were already looking dodgy by the time he was there. So the lady handing back her CBE is more getting it in the neck for the sort of cover up and refusal to say they did anything wrong cos again she was kind of there later than the bulk of prosecutions.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I broke contact with El Borto and co when I discovered they were all Russian supporting tankies so I was glad that a friend PM'd me yesterday to tell me about this:

https://twitter.com/leo_hutz/status/1744815680883511452
https://twitter.com/RhonddaBryant/status/1744819893256536528
https://twitter.com/RhonddaBryant/status/1744842463510950298
https://twitter.com/RhonddaBryant/status/1744986264388985189
https://twitter.com/RhonddaBryant/status/1744824566461907274

:allears:

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Jan 10, 2024

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Lol, but the crucial jigsaw piece is that Bryant called the cops on a parody Wes Streeting account for pointing out inconsistencies in his various statements about the Politico article:

https://twitter.com/Women4Wes/status/1744690361132335534

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

josh04 posted:

Lol, but the crucial jigsaw piece is that Bryant called the cops on a parody Wes Streeting account for pointing out inconsistencies in his various statements about the Politico article:

https://twitter.com/Women4Wes/status/1744690361132335534

Hahaha, yeah I was digging down and found all this. Incredible.

Look at his defence
https://twitter.com/RhonddaBryant/status/1744710650322907480

e: Changing the subject, check this out:
https://twitter.com/SaulStaniforth/status/1744749642384802048

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Jan 10, 2024

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

edit. oh theres some weird chris bryant stuff going on. Back on post Office stuff tho...

I can't find enough details, like a year by year break down of prosecutions or by whom they were made.

What does seem to be apparent is that by mid-2009 there had been 525 prosecutions made since 1999/2000. Starmer had been director of public Prosecutions for a year by then. There would be a further 211 prosecutions until they stopped in 2015. Starmer remained director for 4 more years until 2013. That was using the figure of 736 prosecutions but more people have come forward since the telly programme and the guardian is now talking about over 900.

This one was definitely on his watch though and not a private post office prosecution:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Post_Office_scandal#R_v_Seema_Misra_%E2%80%93_October_2010

Of the 93 cases so far overturned, the Post Office was not the prosecutor in 5 of them. This could have been to do with Scotland though.

I have no idea what control Starmer had over all the private prosecutions that make up the vast bulk of them or whether it was in his remit to identify and question that the formerly public organisation was now a private prosecutor, investigator and victim all in one. But someone should ask him.

Also lol that the whole time it was a coalition government, it was a lib dem who was post office minister.

NotJustANumber99 fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Jan 10, 2024

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

NotJustANumber99 posted:

it was a lib dem who was post office minister.

Not just any Lib Dem, but the current Lib Dem leader Ed Davey was postal affairs minister between 2010 and 2012

And lol that Keith probably also has his hands dirty is just the icing on the cake :allears:

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

fuctifino posted:

Not just any Lib Dem, but the current Lib Dem leader Ed Davey was postal affairs minister between 2010 and 2012

And after him, the previous Lib dem leader.

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
This guy? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqpfeoVi5zU&t=9s The guy who needs to join a coalition even to drive a tractor?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

NotJustANumber99 posted:

And after him, the previous Lib dem leader.

loving lol.

Amazing :allears:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I hate that the latest round of tabloid bullshit almost seems like it was written by follow back pro keith people.

"Keir stopped this killer getting hanged, this is bad" and "ignore Fujitsu writing dogshit service agreements that had their reps logging into subpostmaster's accounts and making changes in their name, here's Keir!" are obvious bad faith moves to cover for capital punishment nonces and lovely corporate governance (and it's funny how nobody seems to combine the two and want hanging for CFOs) but it's all they want to attack Starmer rather than his actual obvious failings, to the point where people who care about the rule of law or corporate accountability feel the need to defend him.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

While winding up Bryant is funny surely they're in danger of the long arm of the law there?

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

fuctifino posted:

And lol that Keith probably also has his hands dirty is just the icing on the cake :allears:

You gotta hand it to the coalition-era lib dems they were fobbed off with joke positions in the cabinet and still managed to massively poo poo the bed on their briefs, that is proper dedication.

\/\/\/\/ - I've been actively looking forward to it with glee.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

To be honest though didn't we all expect the press to start turning on Starmer despite how much he was cosying up to them as soon as a general election was on the horizon? Regardless of how much merit anecdotes/accusations have, they'll fling enough poo poo in the hope as much sticks as possible.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
"Starmer worked pro bono to oppose the death penalty" and "Starmer prosecuted cases with the evidence handed to him" are the kind of things that people making him out to be a reasonable moderate would come out with though, so running them as some kind of gotcha in the sex arse papers feels almost like a deception.

Flux Wildly
Dec 20, 2004

Welkum tü Zanydu!

Forensic as ever

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Definitely trust the guy who gave himself a heart attack from screaming about Corbyn so much.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
:lmao: 'leading barristers' (and every other part)

Mesopotamia
Apr 12, 2010
Ah, we're randomly accusing a gay centrist of being a paedophile who engages in child trafficking but...leftishly?...now. Hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Mesopotamia posted:

Ah, we're randomly accusing a gay centrist of being a paedophile who engages in child trafficking but...leftishly?...now. Hilarious.

Nobody here is accusing anyone of anything. What's hilarious is that a senior politician is publicly interacting with a known troll account called 'el borto', while highlighting how said politician purposefully evaded questions about the APPG visits

Tesseraction posted:

While winding up Bryant is funny surely they're in danger of the long arm of the law there?

100%

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jan 10, 2024