Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Vargatron posted:

I'm actually legit upset that Grub gets fed to you by Orin disguised as Yenna. Straight up gently caress the devs for including something like this. This is why I quit playing this game.

Whoa yea that is pretty hosed up. This never happened to me, pretty upsetting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

OzFactor posted:

I like to think that Gale's approval with all the goody-goody decisions in early Act 1 is because he's sizing you up. I mean, he pretty much says "I've been watching you make some capital G Good decisions, and guess what, I have a problem that needs solving, want to hear about it, eh?" His "selfless" talk after the visit from Elminster is, to me, less about him being selfless and more about him thinking "oh, I've been burdened with such a burden that only me, the Hero, can carry, good thing I'm so noble and strong," since he basically doesn't listen to you saying, over and over, "you don't have to do this, let's figure it out." He never really thinks of himself as a walking nuke, he's Mystra's Most Special Boy that is Too Special To Exist and so he must explode himself into legend.

I wonder if he gets a bit more nuance if you're playing as him.

This is how I saw Gale. I still found him entertaining, but like how he said something about "Gale's Folly one might say..." meaning he sees himself in the same sense as Karsus, and he's talking about himself in third person in capital letters. lol.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Wait did you eat it? I saw the body in the cutscene and I was promised soup. Sudden Kebab and a corpse right after I was told about a shape shifter? Hmmmmm

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Luckily it's very easy to avoid by simply leaving one of those people out of your party and beelining for the sewers. I usually pick Lae'zel just because she's the only one I can remember is guaranteed to be picked before Yenna.

I only wish Grub would say something to me other than "please don't look at me". C'mon Grub, I have treats and I saved your buddy, please let me pet you.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Imagine long resting with any supplies other than alcohol smh

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

There should’ve been more options for the quest but in my case Yenna had the actual narrative tension. Gale and Halsin are both very “when I get to it companions” while Yenna is the Orphan kidnapped by a doomsday cult in a sewer.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
Managed to make the Swords Bard even more hysterically overpowered with item choice:

-Helm of Arcane Acuity: gain two stacks of Arcane Acuity when you hit with a weapon attack. (+1 spell attack and spell DC per stack). This is per hit. Ranged slashing flourish or arrows of many targets will rocket this up to the cap of 10.

-Strange Conduit Ring: When concentrating on a spell, +1d4 psychic damage to weapon attacks

-Braindrain gloves: When you inflict psychic damage, target gets 2 stacks of Mental Fatige (-1 to Int/Wis/Cha saves, caps at 7)

-Band of the Mystic Scoundrel: After hitting with a weapon attack, you can cast enchantment or illusion spells as a bonus action.

So, cast any indefinite-duration concentration spell (I like enhance ability) and do the usual swords bard rain of arrows for massive damage, and then cast a crowd control spell with a DC increase of 10 and various targets you have hit having varying amounts of penalties to those saves.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Vargatron posted:

I'm actually legit upset that Grub gets fed to you by Orin disguised as Yenna. Straight up gently caress the devs for including something like this. This is why I quit playing this game.

You know it's just a video game and no actual animals were harmed, right?

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Moon Slayer posted:

It’s actually way more hosed up to not feel at least some level of disgust at a depiction of grotesque violence against animals

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

It made me feel like Orin had just signed her own death warrent, that's for sure.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

She coulda killed Halsin for all I give a poo poo I only went down into the sewer to get her sweet swords.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

It’s actually way more hosed up to not feel at least some level of disgust at a depiction of grotesque violence against animals

you know she's also a weirdo who violently tortures and dismembers people too, right?

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Yes that’s pretty awful too but she doesnt feed you any of them after you form an emotional attachment to them

charms
Oct 14, 2012

Sometimes I randomly remember that Bane cultist standing on the precarious crane platform on the top floor of the fireworks manufacturer. That has to be the most doomed guy in the entire game.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

What's interesting here is that it is arguably more hosed up to not feel disgusted by the game's (very frequent) depiction of brutal violence against people. The ubiquity of violence in media has not left us desensitized to violence against animals specifically, though, so our natural what-the-gently caress reaction still pops up there even if we've already waded through 10,000 dead elves or whatever without batting an eye.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Moon Slayer posted:

I'm not sure, they took the mocap for this game very seriously.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

charms posted:

Sometimes I randomly remember that Bane cultist standing on the precarious crane platform on the top floor of the fireworks manufacturer. That has to be the most doomed guy in the entire game.

Like level 3 enemies at the very first "dungeon" in the game are standing right underneath a giant stone block inexplicably suspended from a thin rope.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Angry Diplomat posted:

What's interesting here is that it is arguably more hosed up to not feel disgusted by the game's (very frequent) depiction of brutal violence against people. The ubiquity of violence in media has not left us desensitized to violence against animals specifically, though, so our natural what-the-gently caress reaction still pops up there even if we've already waded through 10,000 dead elves or whatever without batting an eye.

Agreed; if after all the violence, blood, dialogue about abuse/torture, anti-refugee sentiment, and all the rest you find Orin killing a cat offscreen to be so far beyond the pale you don't think the game should be played anymore, that's a you problem.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

5e isn’t really balanced around you having so many magic items so if they’d brought down the amount you get I suspect the game would be much harder. There’s a lot of builds that are only good in bg3 because they’re enabled by magic items

Sounds like a non magical equipment run may be fun.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Saraiguma posted:

you know she's also a weirdo who violently tortures and dismembers people too, right?

I can excuse torture, sexual violence, and slavery but I draw the line at animal cruelty :colbert:

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Black Noise posted:

I can excuse torture, sexual violence, and slavery but I draw the line at animal cruelty :colbert:

This is actually why I liked that goon’s friend who killed the zhents on site cuz they’re slavers. Guy played by a code

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

I fought them too I just didn’t want to do it next to the barrels.

You don’t just run in and choose the I Am Legend theatrical ending. :argh:

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Black Noise posted:

I detonated the oil / barrels near the entrance while hiding, prompting all of the survivors to run to the back of the cave. As I approached and started picking them off, most of them decided to cluster on a platform that you can collapse, with more fire barrels below it. :getin:

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Black Noise posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxPbpYR_RKY

Deuce fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jan 10, 2024

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

:thejoke:

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

I wanted others to know the joke because not everyone watched that show

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Black Noise posted:

man that is one of the most hosed up fights in the game. shove Verys off the ledge, then light the place on fire. last time I did it, I managed to kill everyone but Verys and the one guy that kinda hangs out at the back. Oskar made it out alive, amazingly, because he had run to the back where that guy was. in most cases I've hosed it up royally and end detonated stuff at a bad time or just failed to catch em all in the explosions somehow.

e: I mean hosed up in how completely hosed those enemies are, they just have no idea what is coming.

anyway, just helped Astarion ascend for the first time, and hoo boy feels bad man. if this were a table top session I feel like this would be one of those things where my DM asks "are you sure?" and then sighs and says "ok" when I say yes.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Professor Beetus posted:

anyway, just helped Astarion ascend for the first time, and hoo boy feels bad man. if this were a table top session I feel like this would be one of those things where my DM asks "are you sure?" and then sighs and says "ok" when I say yes.

If you’re playing as him it does. Gimme the D10.

There was a hotfix recently but apparently my Baldurs gate game is completely uninstalled? Wat??? How?
Disregard steam wasn't checking for my ssd for some reason. Here have a mod https://www.nexusmods.com/baldursgate3/mods/5709

Black Noise fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Jan 10, 2024

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
I'm glad this thread taught me that Longstrider is effectively free. That's a game-changer! I'm still pretty bad at the combat because I only have a tenuous understanding of the mechanics, though. I don't have the patience to learn how to properly use Rogues' offensive tools, but I'd still like to take Astarion with me, so I'm thinking of changing his class.

Does anyone have recommendations for a simple and effective physical offense-based specialization for midgame? I don't need a lot of specifics, I'm just looking for a basic build that is functional. Multi-classing is disabled, my party's level 8, I have access to most areas and vendors in Act 2, and I probably have access to build-defining equipment that is offered by that point.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

For simple and basic it's hard to go wrong with a Champion fighter. It has almost no bells or whistles and it just makes straightforward attacks with an expanded critical hit range. If you just want to hit things and not worry about abilities at all, it's pretty much the best solution. Pump strength for melee or dexterity for archery and finesse weapons, and just stack as many damage boosters on him as you can.

If you want something a bit more advanced, Battle Master Fighter is good. You'll have to learn how to use the maneuvers, but it gives you some higher damage and the ability to disarm/trip/frighten/etc enemies. There's really nothing wrong here with just spamming trip on things that are standing, though.

If you want something easy and simple while still being fairly on theme for Astarion, Gloomstalker Ranger is pretty hard to beat. If you need him to be your lockpick guy, you can take the Urban Tracker option, which is very on theme for him. If this is the case, just pump dexterity as high as you can, and use finesse weapons and bows. They do have spells, but they're largely ignorable in combat if you want and they're good for picking up utility poo poo like Longstrider, Jump, Speak with Animals, etc etc.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Eldritch Knight Tavern Brawler Thrower

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Just critical missed a divine smite that had a 99% chance to hit.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
I've heard people talking about throwing and Tavern Brawler focused builds as being simple and effective for newbies, but I need some more elaboration on how that kind of build works before I'd go for it myself.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Forsythia posted:

I've heard people talking about throwing and Tavern Brawler focused builds as being simple and effective for newbies, but I need some more elaboration on how that kind of build works before I'd go for it myself.

For a throwbarb, the general idea is that you select Berserker as your Level 3 specialization for Frenzied Throw. Frenzied Throw lets you use an additional throwing attack on your BONUS action, with an additional chance to knock enemies prone. The reason why the build is so strong is that it comes online very early in the game. Ring of Flinging from the merchant in the Emerald Grove, Returning Pike from the vendor outside the Goblin Camp, and Tavern Brawler as your Level 4 feat are really all you need to get going. A final build ends up looking like 5 Barb / 4 Champ / 3 Thief. Champion gets you easier crits and another feat, Thief gets you an additional bonus action for Frenzied Throw.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Tae posted:

Eldritch Knight Tavern Brawler Thrower

I'm keen to do this. Bound weapon with something funny and heaps of spoons. The most powerful man in the land.

E: also want to do it because on my third run I figured out the djinn and my lord

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

If you have the legendary trident, then IMHO it's better to go Champion over ED because the weapon already returns to you and MAD CRITZ. However, putting 4 points into Eldritch Knight is very useful for that Level 9-10 slump where Returning Pike damage starts to drop off a little. I like using the lightning spears from the Kua Toa in Act 2 as my bonded weapon.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

exquisite tea posted:

If you have the legendary trident, then IMHO it's better to go Champion over ED because the weapon already returns to you and MAD CRITZ. However, putting 4 points into Eldritch Knight is very useful for that Level 9-10 slump where Returning Pike damage starts to drop off a little. I like using the lightning spears from the Kua Toa in Act 2 as my bonded weapon.

Please we are trying to have fun here. Throw spoons and forks.

E: but yeah it owns I got it by accident on my durge run with throw barb Karlach

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
If multi-classing is disabled, a full fighter thrower is better than barb, and EK is a weirdly very defensive/speedy unit since it can use the good level 1 spells like Shield or retreat.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Ratios and Tendency posted:

What? They very notably get an uber capstone that no-one else can replicate.

Remind me what that is exactly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

The Lord Bude posted:

Remind me what that is exactly?

Whirlwind/volley. All normal attacks become 3m AoEs.