Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Non Compos Mentis posted:

They've got a real thing for deciding characters have entirely different powers for the tv shows

The only superpowers anyone is allowed to have in marvel is now laserhands

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

that radiohead cover sucks!!!

probably not worth watching cos netflix will cancel it after 1 season :shrug:

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

that radiohead cover sucks!!!

Also looks like they skipped the first two Body Problems.

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN

Improbable Lobster posted:

The only superpowers anyone is allowed to have in marvel is now laserhands

Except for Captain Laserhands, who has no hands and can move things with his mind. Very slowly move things. To dramatic swelling music. And something about family.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

That trailer is much better than the first, but the first had much longer takes and it looked like complete dogshit, so I'm not holding my breath

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Three body problem is one of those books I just don't see making a good TV show.

thedangergroove
Nov 14, 2004
Long for karate day.
I've got one body, and it's enough of a problem!

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Mega Comrade posted:

Three body problem is one of those books I just don't see making a good TV show.

It wasn't even that good of a book.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Mega Comrade posted:

Reading it, I got the impression that it was carefully engineered to become a script for a Chris Nolan movie, and I can see that working. But as a series... In particular because none of the bombastic visually impressive stuff in the VR world matters at all to the story, but it still has to take a huge chunk of the book because... reasons?

Also, I remember it not having a single character worth rooting for, which is gonna be a big problem for a series.

Aramis fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jan 10, 2024

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Mega Comrade posted:

yeah. Hard to adapt and I can't see netflix finishing it so I'll hold off for now unless I hear it is good and complete (which it won't be because of people like me holding off)

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Aramis posted:

Also, I remember it not having a single character worth rooting for, which is gonna be a big problem for a series.

I hadn't considered this but yes. Which is fine in novels. It's easy to do interesting but unlikable characters in books, TV shows have only a few characters like that done well.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

It wasn't even that good of a book.

It’s a good book series if you watch a YouTube dude condense it down to 30 min lol

Just gave me all the good bits

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Been watching Star Trek original series for the first time, while folding laundry and drunk, and just how many episodes are going to be about some nobody on the ship getting powers because yeesh

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I mean what other other star trek story structures are there? Some assholes on a planet present some dilemma? Played out

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021

AARD VARKMAN posted:

Been watching Star Trek original series for the first time, while folding laundry and drunk, and just how many episodes are going to be about some nobody on the ship getting powers because yeesh

Almost every episode is them running into some being that’s seemingly all powerful for whatever reason. I still like it

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

bitterandtwisted posted:

yeah. Hard to adapt and I can't see netflix finishing it so I'll hold off for now unless I hear it is good and complete (which it won't be because of people like me holding off)

:hai:

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

AARD VARKMAN posted:

The ideal way to watch TOS is actually on Shuffle because it quickly becomes obvious they never expected anyone to watch every episode in order. They often have clusters of episodes where it's nearly the exact same plot one after the other, and the production order vs. airing order was not really all that planned out anyway.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Aramis posted:

Ye Winjie :sickos:

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

You know what, if they reaaaaaaally frontload that reveal to the start of the story, I could see it working.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Everyone in this thread knows everything about media, but just in case, there is a fan edit of the chinese adaptation of Three Body Problem that condenses the series. It's very slow originally.

https://disembiggened.com/

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

lobsterminator posted:

Everyone in this thread knows everything about media, but just in case, there is a fan edit of the chinese adaptation of Three Body Problem that condenses the series. It's very slow originally.

https://disembiggened.com/

While cool

quote:

Before watching my fan-edit, you should first consider how you can reimburse Tencent for enjoying an altered version of their original content.

Bro can piss off with this lmao

The full thing is on YouTube in the US if anyone cares.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

MarcusSA posted:

While cool

Bro can piss off with this lmao

The full thing is on YouTube in the US if anyone cares.

"Please turn off your ad blocker and brutally murder at least one Uighur. Oh, and don't forget to like and subscribe!!!"

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

AARD VARKMAN posted:

the one where an irish gets control of the ship is genuinely harrowing

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

the one where an irish gets control of the ship is genuinely harrowing

The best part of the episode is when they beam up the Irish the transporter couldn’t separate the Irish from their animals and filth.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Gutcruncher posted:

The best part of the episode is when they beam up the Irish the transporter couldn’t separate the Irish from their animals and filth.

Colm Meaney forced them to tone down that episode, so I can't imagine how racist the original script was

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Not even the same episode lol

Star Trek is weirdly racist against the Irish until DS9, when O'Brien finally becomes crucified for their sins

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Irish Unification of 2024 beckons.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Now instead of Northern Ireland and Ireland there is just Northern Ireland.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Gutcruncher posted:

Now instead of Northern Ireland and Ireland there is just Ireland.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Those two posts sum up the intent of 500 years of misery and death quite pithily.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Finally Dublin will be returned to the Norwegians, it's rightful owners

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

irish reunification would be pretty based imo

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

ireland is going to have to sort that out on their own. I'm gonna have bell riots to deal with

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

kalel posted:

It’ll never happen, they’re a quarrelsome lot.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Arc Hammer posted:

kalel posted:

:cheers:

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

PostNouveau posted:

Colm Meaney forced them to tone down that episode, so I can't imagine how racist the original script was

Can we tone it down from "British Empire era racism" to like just some offensive broad stereotypes?

No? OK well how about we meet in the middle then yeah?

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

Is this the new "2024 is the year of desktop Linux"?

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

as an uneducated typical american, i feel i should weigh in on the irish reunification issue. i propose that a channel be dug to separate ireland and northern iteland and that dirt (and much more fill) be used to expand irelands landmass elsewhere but equal to the size of northern ireland.. perhaps on the western shore because who wants be closer to the english. thank you. if this idea is used please cite my forums name in the plan

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Hackers film 1995 posted:

as an uneducated typical american, i feel i should weigh in on the irish reunification issue. i propose that a channel be dug to separate ireland and northern iteland and that dirt (and much more fill) be used to expand irelands landmass elsewhere but equal to the size of northern ireland.. perhaps on the western shore because who wants be closer to the english. thank you. if this idea is used please cite my forums name in the plan

This will definitely get you in the history books but not in the way you think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

“who really was hackers film 1995? how did his insane plan come to pass? historians weigh in on this hated mysterious figure.”