Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum
There seem to be certain objects/spots in The Forest that birds are just ridiculously attracted to and they will just repeatedly land right in front of you allowing you to collect the maximum of bird meat at will. The entire survival and building portion of The Forest can basically be ignored which is disappointing to learn, but once you actually start exploring the caves and advancing the game it becomes very apparent. The only thing you ever NEED to build is the little temporary shelter of leaves and sticks to occasionally save and there's literally infinite soda and energy bars above and below ground because everything constantly respawns.

I bounced off the sequel right as it went EA and haven't gone back to it but from what I've heard the above is mostly(entirely?) true for it as well. It's really to bad the ascetics and building mechanics in The Forest feel really novel and satisfying compared to a lot of other survival games but the pointlessness of it combined with the ramping mutant attack mechanics makes it seem really futile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

Very dissonant pokemon may be the vibe of the month https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOatviGVCTs

Palworld EA confirmed 1/19. Looking forward to burning down my house when I leave charmander to cook unattended

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

avoraciopoctules posted:

Very dissonant pokemon may be the vibe of the month https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOatviGVCTs

Palworld EA confirmed 1/19. Looking forward to burning down my house when I leave charmander to cook unattended

I've been playing a bunch of Craftopia over the last week since I saw the open-world update for it came out, and I'm actually kinda excited for PalWorld now because it's actually a pretty fun game now.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Elem7 posted:

There seem to be certain objects/spots in The Forest that birds are just ridiculously attracted to and they will just repeatedly land right in front of you allowing you to collect the maximum of bird meat at will. The entire survival and building portion of The Forest can basically be ignored which is disappointing to learn, but once you actually start exploring the caves and advancing the game it becomes very apparent. The only thing you ever NEED to build is the little temporary shelter of leaves and sticks to occasionally save and there's literally infinite soda and energy bars above and below ground because everything constantly respawns.

I bounced off the sequel right as it went EA and haven't gone back to it but from what I've heard the above is mostly(entirely?) true for it as well. It's really to bad the ascetics and building mechanics in The Forest feel really novel and satisfying compared to a lot of other survival games but the pointlessness of it combined with the ramping mutant attack mechanics makes it seem really futile.

This is sort of how I felt about it too. It has a lot of really cool aspects and then sort of sidesteps all of that for wanting to be a more linear (in caves, at least) explorer where you figure out secrets and eventually reach some kind of end state. That's neat, but its not really what I want out of a survival game. I'd love it if it were Very Pretty vintage story with primitive survival + mutant attacks that don't escalate into tower defense.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Monstaland posted:

I've been busy for over a month building a huge fort in 7DTD, not sure why i enjoy it so much as I tuned down everything zombie related but I can't stop building, farming and scavenging. It's what I liked most about Fallout 4 too, is there anything more out there scratching that same itch? I prefer more or less modern day settings, not a huge fan of the medieval/fantasy setting of things like Conan and Valheim. I do have the forest, green hell, scum, subnautica, terraria, project zomboid, state of decay 2 but none of these feels so satisfying to build your own home while still in sort of danger like 7DTD halp need more

Sunkenland looks like its shaping up to be a bit like that. There's a decent amount of places to explore and scavenge with the twist its on the ocean floor. Plus the islands are full of enemies and they will raid your base from time to time.

It feels really early though so there's not a huge amount of stuff right now, but there's enough.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Salt 2 seems like it’s coming along ok? Not sure if it exactly fits here though.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Jawnycat posted:

What, how? Don't birds all but literally fly into your mouth at all times? That's what I remember, food was never, never an issue in The Forest, it almost felt like a vestigial system.

I guess i am bad at hitting things with my axe. I basically have to corner lizards on terrain so their pathing bugs out so i can hit them

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
if nothing else, turtles are easy to come by and delicious.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Bhodi posted:

if nothing else, turtles are easy to come by and delicious.

I had to run like, all over the map to find out where the turtles even were, apparently they're in the center

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

Anyone have Pacific Drive on their radar? The setting and car customization look awesome... I really hope it has a tourist mode or something because I don't care for supernatural horror but I definitely want to poke around weirdified Pacific Northwest in a beater station wagon loaded with gizmos.

https://www.pacificdrivegame.com/

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

super nailgun posted:

Anyone have Pacific Drive on their radar? The setting and car customization look awesome... I really hope it has a tourist mode or something because I don't care for supernatural horror but I definitely want to poke around weirdified Pacific Northwest in a beater station wagon loaded with gizmos.

https://www.pacificdrivegame.com/

Well I have now.

Driving survival adventure sounds like a neat idea. Too bad there's no co-op or anything. But definitely will check it out when it launches.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
I watched Guns Nerds and Steel play it on YouTube the other day and it doesn't look very horror like. But it does look interesting.

Shuka
Dec 19, 2000
I think the steam thread was saying good stuff about Pacific Drive

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Yeah I also watched GNS play pacific drive it and added it to my wish list. The part where he’s driving to escape the area becoming unstable after looting everything was cool.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Icarus talk, I'm lower-mid 20s levelwise right now and done a few missions in-between developing a base in Open World. Haven't gotten any armor past bone armor but my tools are up to the steel level and I'm pushing into platinum. Gone for a wood felling, axe wielding hunter maniac build backed up by the Berserker talent that makes axes a viable weapon choice.

Decided to go and explore further north in the valley i started in. Have the ability animal health bars so i generally do drive by hunting as I run for exp or working on beastiery. See a healthbar in front of me, no visual confirmation on animal type but whatever, not really interested in the actual loot- IT'S A BEAR.

A brief text recreation of the events that followed:

me: OH poo poo BEAR! *runs for nearby giant rock to circle around it*

bear: RAWR *chases*

me: ohshitohfuck *tries to run circles around rock*

bear: RAWR *catches up, is not thwarted by rock circling like his polar cousins and hits me*

me: AaAAaaaaAAAA- wait that didn't hurt much at all. *turns around, pulls out steel axe*

bear: r-rawr?

me: :black101:

bear: :gibs:

Seems like with full bone armor brown bears aren't nearly as threatening as i would have expected, though having 3 higher tier foods probably significantly helped my survivability too. Lot less worried about dealing with brown bears though now. gently caress polar bears though.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
It's the food, they give really crazy buffs in Icarus.

I've actually just come back to play it and finish off all the missions I can't do open world.

But I've added mods this time and it's significantly improved the grind and made the mundane parts of the game quite enjoyable and fast again.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
All the bears are pretty easy once you figure out their pattern. Jousting with them solves your problem at first, then you get a hunting rifle and blast them in the face from half a mile away and that bear doesn't even become a problem to solve.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

bird food bathtub posted:

All the bears are pretty easy once you figure out their pattern. Jousting with them solves your problem at first, then you get a hunting rifle and blast them in the face from half a mile away and that bear doesn't even become a problem to solve.

I saw someone (might have been you) mention jousting before and my first attempt with it was vs a polar bear and... it just didn't work? I'd eat hits not matter what, even when running perpendicular to the charge. How do you joust a bear?

The hunting rifle part I believe, but I'd love to figure out a way that doesn't involve teching up significantly.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Pacific Drive looks totally to be my jam. Looking forward to it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Canuckistan posted:

Pacific Drive looks totally to be my jam. Looking forward to it.

Hell yeah. Added it to my wish list to wait for more reviews.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

Evil Kit posted:

I saw someone (might have been you) mention jousting before and my first attempt with it was vs a polar bear and... it just didn't work? I'd eat hits not matter what, even when running perpendicular to the charge. How do you joust a bear?

The hunting rifle part I believe, but I'd love to figure out a way that doesn't involve teching up significantly.

Just charge the bear as they run at you, but run past them to one side. Turn around and fire an arrow in their face, ,repeat as needed..

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

https://youtu.be/lYxE_whU9ak?si=pI_--_6v6E9VvocK

People are starting to take a look at pacific drive

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

hell yeah Im up for an annihilation-like

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

Just charge the bear as they run at you, but run past them to one side. Turn around and fire an arrow in their face, ,repeat as needed..

hm, interesting. I'll give it a try!

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Late February is so far away, though.
Nightingale is also coming out then!

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Y'know what while in Icarus I appreciate the immersion of every piece of armor, anything you're carrying in the bulky, equipment in your hand or light sources all appear on or emanate from your in game model which you can choose to view-

please I'm begging you make the flashlight a static light source that doesn't turn with your body's movements when it's in your lamp slot. Too much immersion. :negative:

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Evil Kit posted:

Y'know what while in Icarus I appreciate the immersion of every piece of armor, anything you're carrying in the bulky, equipment in your hand or light sources all appear on or emanate from your in game model which you can choose to view-

please I'm begging you make the flashlight a static light source that doesn't turn with your body's movements when it's in your lamp slot. Too much immersion. :negative:

Yeah the fat-burning lantern is the best light source because the biofuel lamp and flashlight are cones rather than areas and you just can't see anything if you're taking any action other than staring straight ahead. Absurd and bad.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

MarcusSA posted:

https://youtu.be/lYxE_whU9ak?si=pI_--_6v6E9VvocK

People are starting to take a look at pacific drive

Was watching someone stream the press release of this today and it looks really cool.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

StarkRavingMad posted:

Was watching someone stream the press release of this today and it looks really cool.

Yeah I watched that video last night and it looks really awesome. I think this is going to be a good one.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Yeah the fat-burning lantern is the best light source because the biofuel lamp and flashlight are cones rather than areas and you just can't see anything if you're taking any action other than staring straight ahead. Absurd and bad.

Icarus: Absurd and bad.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

RandomBlue posted:

Icarus: Absurd and bad.

I wouldn't go that far. It's pretty, it's mostly fun. Its got long term potential and the devs are at least listening with the route the player base wants to go.

They just made some really bad decisions really early on and it's gonna take a considerable amount of time to unfuck it.

Speaking of which, apparently a large patch tomorrow, that expands the Prometheus map.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
I would be honestly shocked if Icarus ever makes it to the level of a good survival game because in the time it takes it to reach parity with anything else we'll have a whole new generation of survival games that are already better than what Icarus is trying to fix itself up to be.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
I suppose that depends on personal opinion and definition to a large extent..

I enjoy it mostly. I like where it's heading and the work they've put in for the last 109 weeks, I love the idea and the setting, the live action adverts etc they've done.

It's just the rogue like mission structure and grind that's the downfall. They've move largely away from the rogue like elements, the perma death has long gone, as have the real world timers.

Once they fix the grind and add in the long term stuff they plan, to make the higher tier stuff more relevant, it will be really enjoyable I think. The bones are there already.

If they simply added things like firearms and prefab buildings/benches to the orbital workshop, the missions wouldn't be anywhere near as bad.

Travel will be easier soon as you'll be able to take mounts between missions/maps.

I'm currently sat on 560 hours in it, largely coop with my wife though so is different to playing solo too

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I'm 34 hours of playtime in and so far really like Icarus. It's got this zen thing going on that you get in survival games where it's got a lot of minor goals to work towards thet lead to step ups in power and efficiency. The world being pretty, the weather having some genuinely terrifying vfx and sfx really add to the immersion along with a lot of small things.

That said it does have some problems, but nothing that can't be fixed. The open world letting you set up a persistent base and develop your tech whilst also letting you leverage that to do a certain range of missions is actually really cool. Makes taming a mount and some of the grindier high tier tech well worth investing it when you don't lose it all after the mission is done.

And if you're tired of being super tricked out? Return to the ship, gear up and launch directly into a mission to start over in that early survival game bit that people seem to like a lot (myself included) but do it in a harsher environment, or do it more efficiently since you have a bunch of unlocks already.

Idk, i don't think I'd call Icarus as it is now anywhere near abominable. Pretty fine pick up, especially on sale.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
I played Icarus again for a few more hours and quit again when I couldn't pass the mission where you track the wolves. That frigging final fight between 3 wolf dens just pissed me off something fierce.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

Canuckistan posted:

I played Icarus again for a few more hours and quit again when I couldn't pass the mission where you track the wolves. That frigging final fight between 3 wolf dens just pissed me off something fierce.

If you have it unlocked, stick a hedgehog (the spiky wood defense thing) in front of each den during the day (it's a night fight if I recall?) And then they'll all just die horribly as the spawn in.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
If you want a less cheesy way, get yourself a bunch of different meats, dry them, then eat them just before the fight for the buffs.

You get loads of +health from dry meats I think it is

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Ah gently caress triple post....

New updates up and this one isn't the expanded Prometheus map, but it is coming sometime soon. I thought it was this week.

We got a stupidly expensive shield and an update on the networking and battery update which is still "soon".

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I can let you out of this prison.

I'm also looking forward to Pacific Drive! It looks like it owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
I've been playing the new survival mode in Fortnite, Fortnite Lego, and it's a surprisingly decent survival game. I'm not sure it has any longevity but the early game so far is enjoyable.