Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

UraniumAnchor posted:

This reminded me that I don't think I've mentioned the new feature I put into the tracker that we're trying out this time.

We now have the ability to anchor runs to a particular start time, and in order to maintain that start time it will adjust the "setup time" of the prior run. If it's ever in a situation where it can't do that, whatever you're about to try and do will fail loudly. Currently we have blocks called The Checkpoint that range between 30-60 minutes(ish) that are nothing -but- setup time, which will give us a very concrete picture of how much time we have to work with in a given day. The idea is that if we're ever so far behind that The Checkpoint shrinks to nothing, it's time to start rearranging and/or dropping stuff. Or if the Checkpoint gets too big, it's time to slot in a bonus run. It's a very experimental feature but will hopefully allow us to stay closer to the real schedule. Looking forward to seeing how it plays out in practice.

JHobz already has planned content for The Checkpoint, but how much of it we see will depend on how much time we end up having left over by the time we reach it.

Alternate use: FF events have the "sleep" blocks and the first run of the day will be anchored so that the length of the sleep block will auto-adjust.

this sounds amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?
After the earlier post with graphics that I could put through Google image search, I found a Serious Time III shirt. I hit buy so drat fast. So fast, in fact, that I didn't question how they had one that looked new and crisply folded.

Yeah, it's a copy. A print on demand copy.

I'm probably unreasonably upset about this.

In my defense, the listing had "theyetee" in the product title, which I thought would have to mean it was legit, because they're otherwise outright admitting they stole someone else's work, and who would be that stupid?

Goddamn.

Anyone want a free knock-off shirt? I'm legit too upset to even keep it.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
no

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
Is this like when you say "someone should make that into a t-shirt" on Twitter a bot scrapes the image and feeds it into a shirt making website. So by googling for speed running shirts you unknowingly willed a chinese knockoff into existence.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.
Record a video of you lighting it on fire and call it a burn% speedrun.

Edit: Making this post better.

https://twitter.com/uraniumanchor/status/1744968118600900850

UraniumAnchor fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jan 10, 2024

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Hungry Squirrel posted:

I looked around in there and it's clearly a long-time, well-established community. I felt like I was peeping in windows. I'll poke around for the merch / swag information but I genuinely felt like reading the posts was invading privacy somehow. So, thank you! But also, I'mm'a just stop by real quick and then dip.

You joined something awful like 10 years after it was created

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?

mandatory lesbian posted:

You joined something awful like 10 years after it was created

Yes, but those folks seem like genuinely nice people, and goons are assholes. Y'all are my people. I also lurked here for literally years before signing up because, as one might expect from people with fairly niche interests, I have both crippling social anxiety and cringe social awkwardness.

Anyway, I'm going to stress-eat a cheesecake and then get over myself.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
:justpost:

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Hungry Squirrel posted:

I also lurked here for literally years before signing up

Posted on the Speedrunning thread. :catstare:

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?
The general "here" of SA. Good lord.

I'd like to stop having main-character energy, here; I'm going to go touch grass while the forum goes back to AGDQ discussion.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Hungry Squirrel posted:

I'd like to stop having main-character energy, here; I'm going to go touch grass while the forum goes back to AGDQ discussion.

I understood what you meant. Sometimes even in a digital space the first reaction is not :justpost: even more when you're reading posts that are years old snapshots.

Also to drift back to AGDQ I am really kicking myself I didn't try to go this year. The runs look good and Pittsburgh isn't even far away. i will enjoy not getting sick though

Are there any runs that people are really looking forward to? I recently went on a Mario Maker Troll Level kick so im looking forward to the glitch showcase

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

ZeusCannon posted:

Are there any runs that people are really looking forward to?

Shovel Knight - Specter of Torment vs Plague of Shadows 100%. Were there two runners listed, I'd assume one runs Specter, the other one runs Plague, and it's a first to 100% race, but there's only one runner listed (MooMooAkai) so it's probably just one or the other based on a bid war. In that case, hope it goes to Plague with the bomb based movement. Wish my boy King Knight was in the running, but King 100% probably takes a while longer due to Joustus.

Gyromite - Game B - Dog Assistance looks fun if it's a trained doggo pressing buttons to control the pillars. :3:

Starfield any% I'm looking forward to, because Bethesda always has some insane exploitable bugs. Morrowind's Icarian Flight, Oblivion's skooma abuse, Skyrim's horse tilting... So curious to see what people have found in Starfield so far.

Ravus
Jan 15, 2009

Hungry Squirrel posted:

Speedrunning thread 3.5: A Hungry Squirrel

ZeusCannon posted:

Are there any runs that people are really looking forward to?

Zic3's FF run!

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

ZeusCannon posted:

Are there any runs that people are really looking forward to? I recently went on a Mario Maker Troll Level kick so im looking forward to the glitch showcase

pikmin 4 because pikmin speedruns are bonkers
starfield is a mid game but i bet it's a top-tier speedgame
oot mst is always a good time even if i've seen it a billion times, same with dkc
mario wonder will probably be great
tears of the kingdom is a fantastic run
i'm glad thet are closing out with an rpg, been too long since the last time

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Tomatoanus just did a speedrun explained on starfield a bit ago and it was very good so im betting the AGDQ run will also be good.

Any % are weird categories for me personally because they can have some wild glitches etc but often they are so so fast that its almost anti climatic (an example being doom any% where avoiding combat seems to be the norm). Though the bigger open world games like GTA, Just Cause or Truecrime (i dont actually remember if that was officially an any% but go watch pmcs run from sgdq) are still very fun.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

ZeusCannon posted:

Tomatoanus

god, imagine being on commentary. "coming up next is a speedrun of starfield by runner tomato anus"

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
It's tomatoangus but the g is silent

pmcTRILOGY
Feb 9, 2014

MY BRAND!

ZeusCannon posted:

Tomatoanus just did a speedrun explained on starfield a bit ago and it was very good so im betting the AGDQ run will also be good.

Any % are weird categories for me personally because they can have some wild glitches etc but often they are so so fast that its almost anti climatic (an example being doom any% where avoiding combat seems to be the norm). Though the bigger open world games like GTA, Just Cause or Truecrime (i dont actually remember if that was officially an any% but go watch pmcs run from sgdq) are still very fun.

It was any%! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vISHC26BG5Y

Also I guess I can take credit for Just Cause at GDQ as well :smug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnlGqq2Uh2I

Super excited for AGDQ - I don't have any runs on the schedule but looking forward to supporting lots of friends, playing lots of jank in the game rooms, and otherwise enjoying the event. I'll be on comms for Armored Core VI on Thursday and I have a backup run, but hopefully everything goes smoothly and that doesn't show up (for the event's sake - I'm 100% ready to run G-SAVIOUR if they need me).

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

pmcTRILOGY posted:

Super excited for AGDQ - I don't have any runs on the schedule but looking forward to supporting lots of friends, playing lots of jank in the game rooms, and otherwise enjoying the event. I'll be on comms for Armored Core VI on Thursday and I have a backup run, but hopefully everything goes smoothly and that doesn't show up (for the event's sake - I'm 100% ready to run G-SAVIOUR if they need me).

Thank you for running True Crime: New York City, it is very A Game and was quite entertaining

ElegantFugue fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jan 10, 2024

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

ZeusCannon posted:

I understood what you meant. Sometimes even in a digital space the first reaction is not :justpost: even more when you're reading posts that are years old snapshots.

Also to drift back to AGDQ I am really kicking myself I didn't try to go this year. The runs look good and Pittsburgh isn't even far away. i will enjoy not getting sick though

Pittsburgh in January? no thanks!!

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer

pmcTRILOGY posted:

Just Cause also an excellent speedrun. The big worlds mean theres still things that have to happen as opposed to shorter any % runs that are incredible technically but somewhat less interesting to watch (theyre still very interesting to me i just need them explained to me like a 5 year old)

Is G-SAVIOUR the "TASTE OF MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE" game or was that another mech game? Because that moment had me cry laughing irl.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

site posted:

It's tomatoangus but the g is silent

Unironically the best way they could've handled his name situation

pmcTRILOGY
Feb 9, 2014

MY BRAND!

ZeusCannon posted:

Just Cause also an excellent speedrun. The big worlds mean theres still things that have to happen as opposed to shorter any % runs that are incredible technically but somewhat less interesting to watch (theyre still very interesting to me i just need them explained to me like a 5 year old)

Is G-SAVIOUR the "TASTE OF MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE" game or was that another mech game? Because that moment had me cry laughing irl.

Lol yup that's the one. I was timing for how long an "all cutscenes" run of that game would be (it's way too long to submit) and never even finished timing because that happened.

https://x.com/pmcTRILOGY/status/1624524740898455552?s=20

Game rules. Very fun and simple and all the game text and voice acting is in english.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Hungry Squirrel posted:

Yes, but those folks seem like genuinely nice people, and goons are assholes.

I wasn't aware the SDA forums still get any traffic. I've been a member there forever but I haven't checked it in years. Everything migrated to speedrun.com, Twitch, Discord etc. long ago.

Weirdly enough I still have the single segment record in Castlevania Chronicles from 11 years ago. I guess that's easy since hardly anyone knows or cares about that game. I also had all of the single level records but it looks like they removed that category for some reason despite it being a feature of the game.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

I’m halfway through this and crying laughing at the ghost cop that shoots through walls and bursts into rooms like the Kool-Aid man to savagely beat interrogate mobsters.

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

David Byrne - Like Humans Do (Radio Edit).mp3

dpkg chopra posted:

I’m halfway through this and crying laughing at the ghost cop that shoots through walls and bursts into rooms like the Kool-Aid man to savagely beat interrogate mobsters.

Just watched it too, very funny and good run.

Also.. I think that game kinda rocks? Janky as hell, sure, but the scope of the city is impressive and that ending was pretty cool.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
My memory of the true crime games is that they had jank but clearly had a vision they wanted to achieve.

Also you fight a dragon in one?.... Maybe?

Also they led to sleeping dogs which is a good game.

pmc you should try to speedrun sleeping dogs

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

ZeusCannon posted:

Yeah you fight an ancient chinese sorcerer and his legion of demons. then he turns into a dragon. true crime!

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Im glad that wasnt just a strange fever dream i had.

pmcTRILOGY
Feb 9, 2014

MY BRAND!

ZeusCannon posted:

My memory of the true crime games is that they had jank but clearly had a vision they wanted to achieve.

Also they led to sleeping dogs which is a good game.

pmc you should try to speedrun sleeping dogs

Yeah, Streets of LA is a bit weirder than NYC honestly.

I looked into speedrunning Sleeping Dogs years ago but it's pretty long, WR is 3:20:02 and *checks SR.C* yeah 4 years later that's still the best time.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Oof yeah thats a bit of a commit. Makes sense in hindsight since from memory that game had some pretty structured checks, so unless specific skips existed itd be harder to shorten.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I'm posting this here for UA, in case it's something he can delegate out to someone else at some point when he's not busy setting up for a big event:

I had the idea that it'd be kinda nice to be able to have HTML anchors for each of the game on the schedule - so that it's possible to link directly to a particular one.

pmcTRILOGY
Feb 9, 2014

MY BRAND!
the schedule page has hot new UI

https://gamesdonequick.com/schedule/46

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?
That's sexy as hell.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Pretty swanky. I think the only thing I'd like better is if the time was in its own column on the left instead of under the run name.

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

I’m really happy to see the update, and it looks great. If they accept UX feedback on it, I’d like to drop some thoughts on minor usability tweaks, but I truly don’t want to be that guy online who insisted on giving unwanted critique. Overall, I’m just thrilled to see an update to the page! The previous version had been around for so long that it’s cool to see how it evolved to meet the needs of GDQ runs.

Also, thank you GDQ for giving me things to watch for a week straight.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
Not to be the guy that always finds something to complain about, but I kind of miss it listing what console/system the game was from.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

This will make it so much easier to complete a JHobz% run of the marathon (only watching bits that JHobz is in)

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Bremen posted:

Not to be the guy that always finds something to complain about, but I kind of miss it listing what console/system the game was from.

Yeah, they added it at some point and now it's gone again. It would fit after the game title at least like (PC), (Gamecube) etc. Other than that UI looks nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
The colors of the three toggles are very muted, making me think they were all in the "off" position to begin with, also the separate (from the browser one) scroll bar kinda sucks. And the game platform is important imo.

Not a change for the better, yet.