Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Xaris posted:

the most surprising thing about this was finding out 3M still had a pension plan. but there's good news at the end

I forgot to sign some form with 18 months of being discharged and half of my pension is in a differed annuity. Is that the same thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Ardennes posted:

The Japanese Yen is also at some of its lowest levels since the 1990s as well. The Yen lost about 40% of its value since mid-2020.

ah, konnichiwa

Apr 7, 2003

cool av posted:

their employers pay their health insurance and they live & garage their cars in an all white suburb so homeowner/car insurance rates are low

median new car payment is ~$700/mo as of last year

Apr 7, 2003

Beached Whale posted:

Whenever I'm in the waiting room here at least half the people had to drive out 2+ hours and they're only there to talk to the doctor for 5 minutes and maybe get some blood testing. There's millions of people who have to do this because we decided people in places like Erie or Wheeling aren't economically worthy of anything beyond a couple of GPs who hate their jobs and hate you.

A friend of mine's father had to come into Pittsburgh to have a tumor removed. He lives about two hours away in Indiana, a university town, and there was nowhere else to do the surgery in between.

Apr 7, 2003

Asproigerosis posted:

Medicare advantage has been the quiet Medicare privatization effort that's getting close to completion.

Lol my boss at my old job is from western PA and loved to tell us how loving dire it is out there and how all rural health care has been shuttered so you have to go 4 hours to Pittsburgh for anything. This has been a trend for the past couple decades all across rural america. Health care is doing great! More hospitals closing due to unprofitability in my area and I keep hearing about places doing layoffs despite everyone still being critically understaffed thanks to the whole fucky wucky that was (and still is) covid.

Completely unrelated, I anecdotally noticed a drop off in quality of care and increase in deaths last year at my hospital.

Yep, they cut all the 'excess' capacity for economically useless people in the rural areas of western and central PA, the next step is to cut the 'excess' capacity in the population centers until there's just enough capacity for the concierge doctor types who spend a lot of money on elective poo poo.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

maybe try rebuilding your planes first? :shrug:

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
fun day tomorrow

quote:

Mortgage rates increased again slightly to start this week, but remain in the 6% range. The next big economic indicator comes Thursday with the release of the monthly consumer price index. If it is higher than expected, signaling there is more to do to curb inflation, mortgage rates could move up even more.

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/01/10/mortgage-demand-jumps-nearly-10percent-to-start-the-year-even-as-interest-rates-tick-up-again.html

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Xaris posted:

the ideal economy is one which capital in fictitious and infinite form creates more capital, the ultimate paperclip

anyways, the problem with that is that (as long as there any humans around under some form of subjugation) is it needs a heavy militaritized (and associated intelligence/state/etc) to protect the fictitious production. otherwise the human(s) will kick over the machine. so it needs a material base to sustain a military to protect its interests. this then spirals out like a fractal. we lol at how stupid nato/us and all the MIC is, and it is insanely wasteful and evil, but from an plutocratic elite perspective, it's the most important function of the state. so infinite money can go in as long as it protects the petrodollar and global hegemony of capital, it's doing it's one singular sole function.

The fun part is that the Ukraine war is revealing that neoliberal rot has destroyed Capital's ability to wage a sustained war and the "nuclear" sanctions the West leveled at Russia have largely backfired.

The West is fundamentally unable to enforce hegemony when challenged, and it's only a matter of time before someone (China) starts seriously pressing the advantage.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
https://twitter.com/WhatLayoff/status/1745096436310528028
https://twitter.com/theITW/status/1745083519527686441

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Amazon sucks.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

shrike82 posted:

yeah it's still quite amazing how well the US has done compared to every other country over the past couple decades

15 years of 14% uplift in the broader stock market, 20+% if you look at specific sectors like tech. we're at a point where we've had a generation of folks transition from student to retiree due to the bull markets

no dude that’s about 13 people you know who did that not a generation

Apr 7, 2003

i am harry posted:

no dude that’s about 13 people you know who did that not a generation

His "six figures are where people start nowadays" gimmick gives him away, the median personal income in this country is $44,255 per the Census 2021 ACS

Apr 7, 2003

https://www.post-gazette.com/business/tech-news/2024/01/10/shapiro-government-openai-chatgpt-sam-altman-cmu/stories/202401100064

quote:

Shapiro administration planning to use artificial intelligence in pilot program with OpenAI

Gov. Josh Shapiro’s administration will use artificial intelligence in a pilot program “to help Commonwealth employees understand where and how generative AI tools can be safely and securely leveraged in their daily operations,” the administration said in a news release.

The program, led by the state’s Office of Administration, will be administered through a partnership with OpenAI, representing its first agreement with a state entity. It will also involve members of Carnegie Mellon University’s Block Center for Society and Technology.

“I believe Pennsylvania can be a national leader in the safe and responsible use of generative AI in our government operations — and this first-in-the-nation pilot with OpenAI will help us safely and securely learn from and use this important technology to serve Pennsylvanians and empower our workforce,” Mr. Shapiro said Wednesday in the release.

this guy was the alternative to the open nazi candidate

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
I'm not surprised at all to see state governments be the first to use lovely AI to degrade services and shrink payrolls.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

His "six figures are where people start nowadays" gimmick gives him away, the median personal income in this country is $44,255 per the Census 2021 ACS

National statistics are meaningless, especially median. Is income even normally distributed anymore? I'd bet that in the big cities where high paying jobs are still concentrated there's a bimodal distribution where a big chunk of people are getting paid jack poo poo but also there are a ton of people getting paid $150k+, but not many in between.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

There's like 6 different USAs at least and it's increasingly pointless to lump them all together.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Twerk from Home posted:

National statistics are meaningless, especially median. Is income even normally distributed anymore? I'd bet that in the big cities where high paying jobs are still concentrated there's a bimodal distribution where a big chunk of people are getting paid jack poo poo but also there are a ton of people getting paid $150k+, but not many in between.

yeah that’s what’s happening but the people who aren’t getting paid 6 figures are literally invisible to shrike and the American government.

Apr 7, 2003

Twerk from Home posted:

Per the 2021 ACS average personal income is $63,214 vs. the median $44,225 which would be a part of accounting for that skew, but America is a big country with a lot of people in it and the great majority of them are making way less than six figures.

https://data.census.gov/table/ACSST5Y2021.S1901?g=010XX00US$0400000&tid=ACSST5Y2021.S1901

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Average cost of ownership in total for a car in 2023 was around $10,200 for a used one, $12,500 for a new one. I'm hooting and hollering at $5630 for transportation

I'm the $17,000 of completely unaccounted for "shopping", and using the (legitimate for many people) excuse of "it's hard to find time to cool" when they have a full time live in housekeeper Lol .

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

i am harry posted:

yeah that’s what’s happening but the people who aren’t getting paid 6 figures are literally invisible to shrike and the American government.

shrike was never very good with statistics.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Doomsday Economics: 1989 (Taylor's Version)

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Twerk from Home posted:

It's not really meaningless, though. The median is still telling you that the bulk of the population is making absolutely nowhere near that much money, and the average being only moderately higher really reinforces that. The fact that there are certain areas where the income distribution looks drastically different from the national income distribution isn't really all that interesting.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

why did airlines keep buying these stupid planes even after the accidents

are there not other planes they could have bought? i don't understand planes

Apr 7, 2003

Zokari posted:

Their business is issuing credit cards and gaming rewards programs, the part where they load people into airplanes and make them fly routes is a side hustle.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

RadiRoot posted:

bitcoin will crash big this year, it has to

already down 6% this morning, but not enough.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Zokari posted:

there are three airliner manufacturers: ABC - Airbus, Boeing, or China's Comac

I think it should be obvious why an American airline would go for Boeing despite the bad planes

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Zokari posted:

everything is being run by the failsons of failsons who have completely lost the plot

FacelessVoid
Jul 8, 2009

all the comments are blaming dei. nothing about corporate greed. jfc

Apr 7, 2003

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2023/09/airlines-banks-mileage-programs/675374/

quote:

Airlines Are Just Banks Now
They make more money from mileage programs than from flying planes—and it shows.

Here’s how the system works now: Airlines create points out of nothing and sell them for real money to banks with co-branded credit cards. The banks award points to cardholders for spending, and both the banks and credit-card companies make money off the swipe fees from the use of the card. Cardholders can redeem points for flights, as well as other goods and services sold through the airlines’ proprietary e-commerce portals.

For the airlines, this is a great deal. They incur no costs from points until they are redeemed—or ever, if the points are forgotten. This setup has made loyalty programs highly lucrative. Consumers now charge nearly 1 percent of U.S. GDP to Delta’s American Express credit cards alone. A 2020 analysis by the Financial Times found that Wall Street lenders valued the major airlines’ mileage programs more highly than the airlines themselves. United’s MileagePlus program, for example, was valued at $22 billion, while the company’s market cap at the time was only $10.6 billion.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Oil has to get up to like $120+ for a real Bitcoin crash.

Also, making $100,000k in New York in 2024 comes out to about 35k in other parts of the country; it is basically like talking about the average income of Europeans and then talking about how someone in Luxemburg and rural Greece are basically living the same lives.

You pretty much have to go metro area by metro area at this point.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 16:42 on Jan 10, 2024

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

This was due to woke hirings

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

“this is because of the blecks”-elon musk thought

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2023/09/airlines-banks-mileage-programs/675374/

Consumers now charge nearly 1 percent of U.S. GDP to Delta’s American Express credit cards alone

lol

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Twerk from Home posted:

There's like 6 different USAs at least and it's increasingly pointless to lump them all together.

Last time this came up, midwesterners disagreed that they share a culture with the Yankees, despite those areas being settled by New Englanders who went through the Hudson Valley.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Frosted Flake posted:

Last time this came up, midwesterners disagreed that they share a culture with the Yankees, despite those areas being settled by New Englanders who went through the Hudson Valley.

lol I never noticed before that it split the Alaska panhandle from the rest of Alaska

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea

Frosted Flake posted:

Clearly nothing happened in between now and when they were settled to make these distinct areas

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Zokari posted:

There literally are no other planes. The A320 family, the 737s competitor, has a production backlog of like 6000 planes.

Apr 7, 2003

Wolfy posted:

There literally are no other planes. The A320 family, the 737s competitor, has a production backlog of like 6000 planes.

Embraer makes a plane that flies the same sort of routes the 737 does though? Last time I flew to Florida it was on one of those.

e: looks like Embraer doesn't go above 150 seats

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Embraer makes a plane that flies the same sort of routes the 737 does though? Last time I flew to Florida it was on one of those.

e: looks like Embraer doesn't go above 150 seats

In the US those planes are limited by the "scope clause" so we aren't allowed to actually fill them up with their capacity of passengers, but in exchange the pilot's union allows the pilots who fly those planes to be paid 1/4 as much: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scope_clause

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
I don't know if the Chinese manufacturer is ready for prime-time yet, but you can bet the first American airline that even thinks about buying Chinese planes is going to have Washington all up in their poo poo in a split second.