Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I'm sitting here realizing that a Mr Potatohead style G where you get to mix and match elements from his various eras would be pretty rad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
What is the name of that Samurai era kaiju movie where they battle a giant, extremely pissed off statue? All I remember is this incredible scene shot from the ground following the footsoldiers charging at the statue and then it takes this big swipe at them with its spear tossing everyone away?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Daimajin

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

There was a trilogy in the 60s and it even got a TV series much later on, and it recently had a guest cameo in the 2021 Takashi Miike film The Great Yokai War: Guardians

Wikipedia says it was originally supposed to be Gamera's first foe but got replaced by Barugon

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

There was a trilogy in the 60s and it even got a TV series much later on, and it recently had a guest cameo in the 2021 Takashi Miike film The Great Yokai War: Guardians

Wikipedia says it was originally supposed to be Gamera's first foe but got replaced by Barugon

I think there was talk about him getting a 90s film instead of Gamera too.

Meanwhile, I finally saw Vs. Mechagodzilla, and... it's fine. I had a good time. The humans weren't interesting, but they did fun things, the villains were ridiculous, and the monster fights were solid enough, with a ton of explosions.

But it is a generic Godzilla movie. Not as endearingly bad as Versus Megalon, not as good as Shin, not even as committed to being batshit as Vs King Ghidorah. It's a film that comes on TV at midnight, and where you keep watching because it's on, something deep enough in the series that planet of the apes aliens from a black hole making a robot version of Godzilla to fight the prophesized savior of Okinawa is just another Tuesday. Godzilla is mundane at this point, hardly worthy of comment even when he develops Magneto powers.

It's the kind of film that explains why Godzilla had to take such a long hiatus. Not because it's bad, but because it's so inside baseball and so similar to past works (this was, what, the fourth race of aliens trying to conquer Earth using giant monsters at this point? Heck, it wasn't even two films since we got a shot of the heroes figuring out the alien villains had set up a bomb in their cars to go off when the ignition fired just in time.) that the series needed to take a break just so people could get excited again.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Never heard of this before. Watching it now and it rules.

Edit: it's like the perfect combo for me. Samurai AND Kaiju?!??! Yes please.

dog nougat fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Jan 6, 2024

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
daimajin rules and is daiei's prestige FX franchise compared to gamera's cheap and lovely kid's stuff

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Let’s add shin’s tail to the mix. We’ll make the Ultimate Godzilla.

Oh, sure, let's just play God with Godzilla. That always ends well.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Schwarzwald posted:

Oh, sure, let's just play God with Godzilla. That always ends well.

as Jurassic Park has shown, playing Zilla with Godzilla isn't a good idea either.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvhv7bgmz64

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRlJNSaox6E

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/KaijuNewsOutlet/status/1744869936529289713

Oh no, Italy's got to go, go go Godzilla.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I just cannot get over how they’re tripling down on the absolute dumbest aspects of GvK, an already incredibly dumb movie that really should’ve been the end of MonsterVerse Godzilla. Adam Wingard seems like a guy who just should not be doing franchise movies.

It definitely doesn’t help that we just got an incredible Toho Godzilla flick that I’m genuinely thinking about seeing in theaters for a third time. Everything they’ve shown for GxK just completely pales in comparison.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

godzilla was blue and now he's pink, this is the most trans friendly godzilla since 98

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I just cannot get over how they’re tripling down on the absolute dumbest aspects of GvK, an already incredibly dumb movie that really should’ve been the end of MonsterVerse Godzilla. Adam Wingard seems like a guy who just should not be doing franchise movies.

It definitely doesn’t help that we just got an incredible Toho Godzilla flick that I’m genuinely thinking about seeing in theaters for a third time. Everything they’ve shown for GxK just completely pales in comparison.

It's a unique feeling with Shin and the new Monsterverse film next to each other, yeah. You get plenty of series where there's quality entries and utter dogshit, and even massive variation in tone, but this is less than a year between a film that's all but unquestioned top three material, a largely serious drama focusing on Godzilla as a metaphor for trauma without losing the impact of Godzilla as a giant atomic lizard that hates you that actually managed to make people care more about the human cast than the monster, and... well, this dogshit, to be polite.

Godzilla gets a crappy new design (and Kong gets a robot hand) to sell toys, the villain is a big orangutan, there's baby kong, and nobody's even pretending that audiences will give a poo poo about the humans. It's going hard for the worst excesses of the Showa era, without the charm to carry any of it off.

Also, the CG looks worse in the previews, despite costing more than ten times as much as Minus One. Which is weird.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Monsterverse just feels like trying to make a modern Showa era but even dumber

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm still not seeing the problem with that.

I'd love to see a more horror movie take on the Monsterverse designs but going for Showa nonsense is fine too.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I enjoy the Monsterverse movies for completely different reasons from the modern Toho films. I think there's room for both to exist.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I like glowing pink Godzilla.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I do like pink sofubi colorway Godzilla, but everything else looks like poo poo.

Why does Kong have a robot hand now? :wtc:

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I mean the pink as a choice is fine but the monsterverse is just marvel cgi poop smear and the pink is a result of that.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

chiasaur11 posted:

Also, the CG looks worse in the previews, despite costing more than ten times as much as Minus One. Which is weird.

The Hollywood VFX industry, particularly on the CG side, has collapsed. Disney and their horrific project management drove a bunch of people out of the industry and the artists they have now are mostly newer, fresher up-and-coming types who are churned and burned out of the industry. That's why everything looks like poo poo now.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The Hollywood VFX industry, particularly on the CG side, has collapsed. Disney and their horrific project management drove a bunch of people out of the industry and the artists they have now are mostly newer, fresher up-and-coming types who are churned and burned out of the industry. That's why everything looks like poo poo now.

Apparently the Japanese film industry pays beans so both industries are bad in different - and similar - ways.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

Apparently the Japanese film industry pays beans so both industries are bad in different - and similar - ways.

As opposed to fairly paid VFX guys in American movies...?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Asterite34 posted:

As opposed to fairly paid VFX guys in American movies...?

A 30 second google shows that the average rate for a VFX artist in the US is somewhere around $57 per hour and in Japan it's apparently ¥3753, which is less than half

https://www.salaryexpert.com/salary/job/visual-effects-artist/japan
https://www.talent.com/salary?job=vfx+artist

(It might take a little longer than 30 seconds to figure out how accurate those numbers are but :shrug:)

LookieLoo
Feb 10, 2011

"Also, the CG looks worse in the previews, despite costing more than ten times as much as Minus One. Which is weird."

Just ten?
It doesn't matter anyway, minus Is about the people and kxg it's about the spectacle. It's showa vs 54.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

LookieLoo posted:

"Also, the CG looks worse in the previews, despite costing more than ten times as much as Minus One. Which is weird."

Just ten?
It doesn't matter anyway, minus Is about the people and kxg it's about the spectacle. It's showa vs 54.

Also Minus One was made on an insanely low budget, comparing anything to it on terms of cost is pretty unfair. :v:

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Haven't American cgi studios experienced some pretty major talent drain due to financial abuse by studios?

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I got my good Godzilla movie so I'm ready for some slop

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

I've mentioned my Godzilla-nut son many times here. He's 13 and had been a Godzilla obsessive since he was in preschool. I have a video of him at that age stomping around the room in front of our TV while watching Monster Zero, acting out the action on the screen. We've spent an untold fortune on Godzilla merch and I'd wager he was one of the youngest people to see Shin Godzilla in the theater when it ran here. He loved Minus One, has seen it twice and would probably go every day if he could.

So having said that, it might be ominous for Godzilla X Kong that after showing him the new trailer today, he said, "I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm not excited for a Godzilla movie."

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

LookieLoo posted:

Just ten?

minus one is going to have a much better spectacle than godzilla vs kong 2

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Why does Kong have a robot hand now? :wtc:

Thats his jerking glove

For jerking it

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 6 days!)

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

A 30 second google shows that the average rate for a VFX artist in the US is somewhere around $57 per hour and in Japan it's apparently ¥3753, which is less than half

https://www.salaryexpert.com/salary/job/visual-effects-artist/japan
https://www.talent.com/salary?job=vfx+artist

(It might take a little longer than 30 seconds to figure out how accurate those numbers are but :shrug:)

maybe one side is just overpaid given the poo poo cgi in hollywood movies that isn't Avatar

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

GateOfD posted:

maybe one side is just overpaid given the poo poo cgi in hollywood movies that isn't Avatar

This is ridiculous.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

GateOfD posted:

Beatings overwork will continue until morale CGI improves

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

GateOfD posted:

It's not about the money, or even about the overwork. It's about the demands being made by the studios.

Marvel movies look poo poo these days because they keep redoing scenes, forcing the CG teams to keep repeating the work on the same scenes with insanely tight deadlines.

By contrast, Avatar and Minus One have directors with very clear visions and hands on experience, so the CG teams are able to just work towards specific goals. It's good for both practical benefits (less time and energy wasted on scrapped scenes) and for morale, since people know their work is going to matter instead of being tossed out at the next test screening when the execs decide people like orange better.

(Also, if we're talking salary, cost of living is relevant too. A studio apartment in Tokyo with a good location can come in around 700 bucks. Not cheap, but compared to somewhere like LA, it's a bargain.)

Edit: Going back on topic, man. Godzilla vs the Smog Monster is weird. I know that's common knowledge at this point, but it's got so much weird in it that it's hard to even frame it properly. There's a kid as the main character who might or might not have a psychic link to Godzilla. There's a bunch of hippies who think that it's a great idea to party where Hedorah is about to attack, and who all die when they decide fire is Hedorah's weakness (It is not, and there is no evidence it is at any point in the film) before further deciding the best way to use fire is to throw torches at Hedorah, rather than igniting the nearby incredibly flammable brush. There's a big musical sequence. There's multiple big musical sequences. The film decides to be animated for about a minute. Multiple times. The kid names Hedorah, and everyone agrees to call it that after. Godzilla is basically treated as a superhero, and they sell children's toys of King Ghidorah, the monstrous engine of terror that nearly wiped out all life on Earth before fleeing, a monster that is still at large at the time. The subtitles don't know how to use "casualties" in the context of monster attack, instead confusing it with "fatalities". Godzilla's theme is some weird-rear end guitar thing instead of the usual march.

People talk about Godzilla flying like it's the weirdest part of the movie, and it doesn't even make the top five.

No wonder Banno didn't get another Godzilla after this one. It's not so much that it's bad as that it's completely out of step even with the kind of nonsense that became default by late Showa.

Fun fact: The actor for Hedorah in this film, Kenpachiro Satsuma (who died just last year), went on to play Godzilla throughout the 90s.

Not so fun fact: On the set of this film, he was rushed to the hospital for appendicitis, still in the monster suit. He shortly after discovered that his body was immune to painkillers.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Jan 11, 2024

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I wonder if they thought Hedorah was weak to fire because of the day you specifically set out burnable trash.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Immune to fire but if you use two glowing balls conducting electricity you can fry the poo poo out of that poo poo and then tear it apart.

Banno might have never directed another Godzilla movie but he's a big reason why the Monsterverse exists and why the first two films have such overt ecological themes about man's place in nature.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

chiasaur11 posted:

Edit: Going back on topic, man. Godzilla vs the Smog Monster is weird. I know that's common knowledge at this point, but it's got so much weird in it that it's hard to even frame it properly. There's a kid as the main character who might or might not have a psychic link to Godzilla. There's a bunch of hippies who think that it's a great idea to party where Hedorah is about to attack, and who all die when they decide fire is Hedorah's weakness (It is not, and there is no evidence it is at any point in the film) before further deciding the best way to use fire is to throw torches at Hedorah, rather than igniting the nearby incredibly flammable brush. There's a big musical sequence. There's multiple big musical sequences. The film decides to be animated for about a minute. Multiple times. The kid names Hedorah, and everyone agrees to call it that after. Godzilla is basically treated as a superhero, and they sell children's toys of King Ghidorah, the monstrous engine of terror that nearly wiped out all life on Earth before fleeing, a monster that is still at large at the time. The subtitles don't know how to use "casualties" in the context of monster attack, instead confusing it with "fatalities". Godzilla's theme is some weird-rear end guitar thing instead of the usual march.

People talk about Godzilla flying like it's the weirdest part of the movie, and it doesn't even make the top five.

No wonder Banno didn't get another Godzilla after this one. It's not so much that it's bad as that it's completely out of step even with the kind of nonsense that became default by late Showa.

Fun fact: The actor for Hedorah in this film, Kenpachiro Satsuma (who died just last year), went on to play Godzilla throughout the 90s.

Not so fun fact: On the set of this film, he was rushed to the hospital for appendicitis, still in the monster suit. He shortly after discovered that his body was immune to painkillers.

It's definitely my favorite from the 70s. It's so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Arc Hammer posted:

Banno might have never directed another Godzilla movie but he's a big reason why the Monsterverse exists

Well nobody's perfect.