Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Didn't they want to get well known Sci-fi authors in for Season 5? I think Greg Bear was named explicitly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

naem posted:

season 5 could have been so fun

I really love the (later canonized) planned upgrade to stick a connie-style core and deflector dish under the saucer to evolve it more towards the "traditional" Enterprise design.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I really love the (later canonized) planned upgrade to stick a connie-style core and deflector dish under the saucer to evolve it more towards the "traditional" Enterprise design.

That's one of the very few good things PIC brought to us, it canonized the NX-1 Refit.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

alexandriao posted:

Didn't they want to get well known Sci-fi authors in for Season 5? I think Greg Bear was named explicitly

I don't get why this isn't standard practice, since that's how the original series worked. Did too much change in how TV episode scripts work between then and now?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Brawnfire posted:

I don't get why this isn't standard practice, since that's how the original series worked. Did too much change in how TV episode scripts work between then and now?

$$$ maybe? They must cost more than staff writers.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Brawnfire posted:

I think the great Quaalude of the Galaxy originally wanted only writers who hated Star Trek or had never heard of it for the follow-up series.

Its pretty hard to be Scifi-writer and not have heard of Star Trek by this point.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

And if you pick someone who hates Star Trek, you get a Trekkie

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

I think it's cliquishness on the part of writers and producers. They have a personal interest in protecting their turf and the concept of TV writing as a unique skill they're good at.

LookieLoo
Feb 10, 2011

I just watched this 4k AI upscale video of DS9 and I've done something to the YouTube app that doesn't let me see comments or tell them they're wrong, so I'm here to tell you the AI made Sisko's head look like a condom.
Also my keyboard doesn't like the word condom.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Go home Dukat you're drunk

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

LookieLoo posted:

I just watched this 4k AI upscale video of DS9 and I've done something to the YouTube app that doesn't let me see comments or tell them they're wrong, so I'm here to tell you the AI made Sisko's head look like a condom.
Also my keyboard doesn't like the word condom.

I don't think there will ever be a real HD release of DS9 unfortunately

Best you can do is watch the DVDs they haven't updated since 2003 or Plex serve the filez to something hooked up to an old CRT TV and pretend you're getting a really clear broadcast signal and you are in the year 1996

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcYYq-s2lW0

This video is just about Star Trek and not in any way about anything else

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Brawnfire posted:

first i'm going to be a dick and say that Enterprise ended like twenty years ago, and TV's changed since then, so it's not really "now" any more anyway

that said reaching out to sci-fi writers had its own problems, because they weren't used to writing within the confines of television production, and entailed a lot of time going back and forth for re-writes. sometimes the staff had to just give up and re-write it themselves anyway, which led to harlan ellison's infamous decades-long grudge

i'm not really sure how modern television production 'works' but the impression i get is that spec scripts just aren't a thing any more, you're either on staff or you're nobody.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

first i'm going to be a dick and say that Enterprise ended like twenty years ago, and TV's changed since then, so it's not really "now" any more anyway

that said reaching out to sci-fi writers had its own problems, because they weren't used to writing within the confines of television production, and entailed a lot of time going back and forth for re-writes. sometimes the staff had to just give up and re-write it themselves anyway, which led to harlan ellison's infamous decades-long grudge

i'm not really sure how modern television production 'works' but the impression i get is that spec scripts just aren't a thing any more, you're either on staff or you're nobody.

Star Trek: Picard Season 1 is what happens when you hire a bunch of accomplished and popular sci fi novelists to write and produce television.

Oops.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

mysterious frankie posted:

Also, as an English speaker, I’d prefer certain words to not be translated simply to save face. Not the best or most egregious example, but fireman jumps to mind. When I don’t think about the word, a fireman represents a skilled professional who helps keep the community safe. When I think about the word, it’s fire and man squashed together, like Trog of The Cave People was asked to come up with it while he was having an off day.
oh you prefer television? the far viewer? computer? one who counts togetherness? what a disaster; the bad star.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Fireman is a silly word, not just because it's gendered, but the non gendered equivalent is FIRE FIGHTER. That's as badass as those guys genuinely deserve

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
Fireman/garbage man/lawman/scatman makes me think they’re at least partially made of that thing, and they negotiate agreeable terms on our behalf with their respective domain.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

torres just told a robot she's an engineer but shouldn't she be a warpcoreineer by now, makes you think

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

She meant to say she's an ingenue.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
She meant social engineer. She makes her living scamming old people out of their pensions

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Dabir posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcYYq-s2lW0

This video is just about Star Trek and not in any way about anything else

This guy gets it. I don't always agree with his reviews, but... he gets it. This is straight-up a good piece of Star Trek all by itself.

naem
May 29, 2011

mysterious frankie posted:

Fireman/garbage man/lawman/scatman makes me think they’re at least partially made of that thing, and they negotiate agreeable terms on our behalf with their respective domain.

Fireman draw their source of power and ultimately owe their allegiance to the elemental plain of fire

this is also true for law, garbage and of course scat

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

GolfHole posted:

torres just told a robot she's an engineer but shouldn't she be a warpcoreineer by now, makes you think
Are you saying that when Archer keeps whining about his father's engine, he's such a hick he isn't even using the right word for it?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

dr_rat posted:

Green screen everything and and borrow sets from lower decks on the cheap.

California-class but CGI (I was about to say real-life) instead of animated.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

naem posted:

Fireman draw their source of power and ultimately owe their allegiance to the elemental plain of fire

this is also true for law, garbage and of course scat

I think it’s pretty clear that lawmen do not in fact owe their allegiance to the law.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Flipperwaldt posted:

Are you saying that when Archer keeps whining about his father's engine, he's such a hick he isn't even using the right word for it?

the robot called her a builder instead

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Those robots are like straight out of a 1970s Dr Who episode, they are so weird, I love them.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
trials and tribbleations is a silly episode

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Non Compos Mentis posted:

trials and tribbleations is a silly episode

I think you mean amazing episode

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

The only DS9 my wife has ever seen. And then we had to watch the TOS original episode.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Those robots are like straight out of a 1970s Dr Who episode, they are so weird, I love them.

There's at least one shot where you can see the jaw or something moving behind the mask.

I guess a lot of the practical effects budget was going towards Kes goo and salamander babies that season.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

alexandriao posted:

Blood Wine Music

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

We're 3 episodes from finishing ds9. It's going to leave a void.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Grey Cat posted:

In case you haven't seen it, Babylon 5 (AKA the other 1990s space station show) would be an excellent successor.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I just got the Babylon 5 blu-ray set and annoyingly the pilot episode is on a bonus disc all on its own at the end of the stack, and not just included as the first episode of season 1.

I know often with pilots that doesn’t matter but they explicitly reference stuff from the pilot through the series, including having a whole rear end character return to B5 later in the series from the pilot.

First time I watched the series I didn’t see the pilot so it didn’t RUIN it but come on, just put it at the front, it improves the show by being there.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Powered Descent posted:

In case you haven't seen it, Babylon 5 (AKA the other 1990s space station show) would be an excellent successor.

Noted! I didn't watch it.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Grey Cat posted:

You can live with it.

*sigh* you can, live with it.

Computer, repeat that entire series.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Gutcruncher posted:

I just got the Babylon 5 blu-ray set and annoyingly the pilot episode is on a bonus disc all on its own at the end of the stack, and not just included as the first episode of season 1.

Every time they reference stuff in the pilot that actually has any meaning they show the scene from the pilot. You're really not missing anything. I've still not even seen it and i've rewatched the show about a dozen times.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
yeah The Gathering is rough, it's a good example of how a pilot is not necessarily a first episode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
like how people today will start watching TOS and go "oh lmao they're already doing a clip show with The Menagerie" because streaming services put The Cage first and, well, no, the public never actually got to see The Cage until the 80s