Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Ariong posted:

This is the sentiment of an absolute troglodyte. As a crypto enthusiast, I am very familiar with the principles of cryptography, and one of the central principles is that you are much better off adopting a tried-and-tested cryptographic standard than attempting to make your own. Similarly, you are much more likely to go to the moon by investing in a coin designed by experts to be a lucrative investment. Personally, I chose to invest most of my assets into SafeMoon, which if you aren’t aware, is a project designed from the ground-up such that it is technologically impossible for it to be a scam. It can only go up. I’ve been letting that investment mature for a while, I think I’ll go check on it now! Have fun staying poor.

:eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
It was so technologically impossible for it to be a scam, that when the whole thing appeared to implode in a highly scam-like fashion, it was actually because the backers didn't invest hard enough. :agesilaus:

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Zero One posted:

Matt Levine on the Bitcoin ETF

quote:

To the point that if you have read a story about crypto so far in 2024, it is overwhelmingly likely to be about the following topic: “People want to be able to put Bitcoins into a box and then sell shares of the box to regular investors in the regular financial system using their regular brokerage accounts.” The big innovation in crypto in early 2024, the thing that has driven up prices, is anticipation that the US Securities and Exchange Commission will approve a spot Bitcoin exchange-traded fund this month. Then ETF providers — including traditional financial firms like BlackRock and Fidelity — will be able to hold Bitcoins in a pot, and institutional and retail investors will be able to buy and sell shares of that pot to get exposure to Bitcoin’s price without actually owning Bitcoin. This, it is thought, will increase the price of Bitcoin.

If your interest in crypto is “number go up,” this is good. If your interest in crypto is “this is the financial system of the future and will increasingly be adopted by big institutions and ordinary people,” this is a mixed bag: On the one hand, there is a lot of optimism about ETF approval driving retail and institutional adoption; on the other hand, “everyone owns Bitcoin through a BlackRock ETF in their Fidelity brokerage account” is not quite proof that crypto is the financial system of the future. If your interest in crypto is “crypto keeps coming up with fun new ways to do finance,” though, this is pretty boring. Crypto’s fun new way to do finance is to put Bitcoin in a box and sell you shares of the box; the goal is to transmute Bitcoin — this decentralized disintermediated trustless novel form of money that was meant to replace the banks and brokerages — into regular stocks.
"Number go up" is all that 99% of participants care about though. Well, 95% are strictly in it for that, and the other 4% preach the doctrine of "decentralised finance" and being unshackled from the crusty old banking system with its pesky KYC/AML, but all they care about as well is what Bitcoin or whatever is worth in fiat. Fiat is what they actually value, it's what they're aspiring to accumulate more of - Lambos and "wife changing money", etc. No one is actually using or spending it in any meaningful way.

I think the jury is out on whether the current fiat value of BTC prices in the anticipated approval of one or more ETFs. I'd suggest it is to some extent, but not fully. I could easily conceive of a world in which it goes up to $50k and beyond. None of that really changes anything about the underlying uselessness of it all, though. All of the arguments against it are just as valid, it just adds new ones of this "institutional interest" that crypto maxis have been crowing about for years isn't validation of Bitcoin, crypto or blockchain as "the thing that will replace X" (which is ridiculous on its face given the aforementioned obsession with the fiat price) but simply that these entities want to provide their customers with exposure to it as if it is a stock - like Levine says.

But as said since 95%+ of participants only care about the fiat price, does that even matter?

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Number goes up is the entirety of Crypto. That's all people care about is extraction of ever more fiat using fantasy money crypto tokens.

Even that is entirely and wholly gambling.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I really don't like seeing traditional finance getting anywhere near it, because at any moment it could just collapse. I mean, outside of crime, what actual use does it serve beyond underpinning delusional get-rich-quick schemes?

It allows brokerages to make a buck as the middle man selling Bitcoin securities to retail investors, while holding basically zero of the risk because when poo poo goes tits up it's those people's money that disappears, not the brokerage's.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
^^^
This is also the entire premise by which banks have supported Crypto custodial services too. None of them put real investments into crypto.

It's "I can make money off you without giving a poo poo about Crypto".

That was apparently big Crypto hype in 2018-ish.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Ariong posted:

This is the sentiment of an absolute troglodyte. As a crypto enthusiast, I am very familiar with the principles of cryptography, and one of the central principles is that you are much better off adopting a tried-and-tested cryptographic standard than attempting to make your own. Similarly, you are much more likely to go to the moon by investing in a coin designed by experts to be a lucrative investment. Personally, I chose to invest most of my assets into SafeMoon, which if you aren’t aware, is a project designed from the ground-up such that it is technologically impossible for it to be a scam. It can only go up. I’ve been letting that investment mature for a while, I think I’ll go check on it now! Have fun staying poor.

This post is good because I don’t know if they are crazy or have a knack for pretending to be crazy.

Helluva
Feb 7, 2011

Didn't Bitcoin's price go up because of black market exit scams?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

CaptainSarcastic posted:

It still just seems to boil down to a central The Emperor's New Clothes problem. There is no inherent value to anything in crytpo, so it's just a neverending spiral of pretending it does in new and dumber ways. Just because people threw money at a big box of nothing does not mean the nothing has any intrinsic value.

I really don't like seeing traditional finance getting anywhere near it, because at any moment it could just collapse. I mean, outside of crime, what actual use does it serve beyond underpinning delusional get-rich-quick schemes?
Bitcoin technically does something even without straining to invent use cases. In a better world it would be something the producers include as a comedy segment in Shark Tank. As it is the things it does are bad - a P2P immutable ledger walks back a lot of useful things about modern finance. And it uses full on crypto the likes of which no end user ever sees so if you want to play ball you get to learn all the fun stuff about keystores etc. or you don't and lose everything instantly by just normal amounts of info rot that you would normally call a bank and fix by confirming identity.

And being fair, "oh that's neat you spent all your effort doing that useless thing that is hard to work real business processes around" applies to metallics just as much and it's hard to hedge without them. I'd rather get rid of Bitcoin and metallics but c'est la vie.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
I've been replacing 30% of the flour in my bakery with Coinmeal and no one has yet to notice.

Helluva
Feb 7, 2011

An idea maybe at best that would be good for game monetization.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
"technologically impossible for it not to be a scam"

code is law and no one ever writes buggy computer code that can be exploited

well, I'm convinced

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Sickening posted:

This post is good because I don’t know if they are crazy or have a knack for pretending to be crazy.

That's literally like three different old r/crypto reddit posts combined and proofread to sound less unhinged. The SafeMoon name is the big giveaway.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I think sometimes about that reddit story of a guy who put his entire life savings and then some into terraluna. Hardly the first of such stories and will definitely not be the last.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

PhazonLink posted:

dont engineers or architects have to consider what kind of steel or metal they put with their concrete because over years or decades chemical and other stress things can happen?

also tax funded government land? a true buttcoiner will have the wealth to use their own land and have perfectly loyal bombcollard guards guard it

Yes. Rusting metal will expand and cause concrete to crack.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

tango alpha delta posted:

code is law and no one ever writes buggy computer code backdoors that can be exploited

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Crypto hype is mostly cargo culting of tech bubble hype and general modern economics, which is already pretty much entirely scams based around getting lots of money for saying the correct buzzwords.

Helluva
Feb 7, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Crypto hype is mostly cargo culting of tech bubble hype and general modern economics, which is already pretty much entirely scams based around getting lots of money for saying the correct buzzwords.

I'm on the blockchain.

Must be some zany new drug.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Just yesterday Bitcoin again followed the stock market and I got to read a bunch of people huffing their own farts trying to imagine reasons for this happening as opposed to "Bitcoin sometimes follows the stock market"

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

well played sir.

the 3 steps for crypto are

1. buying
2. holding

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
What you're all missing is the substantial value that the financial sector can unlock by having access to criminal proceeds!

(I wish that was a joke but it isn't.)

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
LOL @ bitcoin

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Cyrano4747 posted:

Just google "bittcoin key engraved metal plate buried back yard" and you'll turn up loving hours of reddit posts to read through.

Here's the website of some dude who did a loving stress test of various metal engraving/burying solutions to figure out which is the most corrosion resistant and will keep your keys the longest.

Seriously, go there and click through to the reviews. There are a LOT. He tests how they fare from being crushed in a hydraulic press, fire, corrosion, etc.

there is a function called being a Crypto Custodian. it's so loving hard to store bitcoins securely that you can pay someone to store the coins for you.

so this is a well understood financial function. you set up a trust company and store other people's stuff for a small annual fee.

prime trust in nevada was one of these. they went broke a few months ago. here's the first day motion (PDF) in their bankruptcy.

how the gently caress do you go broke in the business of "hold someone's coins and take a fee for sitting on your rear end"?

well if you're prime, you do it by:

1. Engrave the key on a piece of metal.
2. Forget where you put it.

they had an ETH wallet. the keys were kept in Trezor hardware wallets. the seed phrases were engraved on steel.

$76,367,247.90 of customer ETH went up in smoke.

prime worked hard to get the money back! ... by gambling on terra-luna and the anchor protocol. using the client assets they were supposed to be holding in trust.

nevada kindly just shut them the gently caress down and inexplicably did not prosecute the thieving shitheads. the first-day motion alone is indictment material.

so anyway, crypto

All New Sonic
Nov 7, 2012

& KNUCKLES
Buglord
lol

https://twitter.com/SECGov/status/1744837121406349714

lmao

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
ahahahahaha

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Man, it's going to be a puzzler to figure out who could be behind the hack. Maybe if they follow the money. But the only way they might be able to do that is if there was an immutable, unchangeable ledger of financial transactions...

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

elon will admit it was him followed by 69 laughy cries

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

A good post in beer thread:

crepeface posted:

oh that reminds. here, enjoy some news from the main craft beer magazine down under

https://craftypint.com/news/2831/beer-on-the-blockchain

just the intro alone is a cognito-hazard

quote:

The blockchain. Crypto. NFT. To the moon. Web3. DeFi.

Depending on your level of interest, such terms might be part of your everyday vernacular or make your eyes roll into the back of your skull. But just as breaking down hop compounds might make for the most fascinating conversations in one corner of a bar yet cause those sitting at other tables to get up and walk away, interest can be very much in the eye of the beholder.

As Jason, who we’ll introduce below, says: “If you don’t like the beer, get the coin; if you don’t like the coin, get the beer. No matter what, you’re going to win.”

“[Edge] make the beer, we sell the beer with them, we split the profits, and then we take those profits to buy the coin back which spikes the price,” Jason explains.

“So we reward holders both when they buy the beer – because they scan it and go to the website and see ways they can get tokens – and they get rewarded when we do our buyback.”

Adam and Michelle say it felt like the right kind of partnership for them; Adam had dabbled in crypto and had been thinking about how to connect it to beer, but felt he lacked the time or expertise to pull off such a venture.

“I think this whole space is only going to explode in a pretty short time,” he says.

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help
Speaking of (not) going to the moon...

(from https://citationneeded.news/issue-48/)

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

titty_baby_ posted:

lol sure why not

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

titty_baby_ posted:

I’m no ad wizard but leading with your product makes some eyes roll sounds like intro to bad marketing

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Alan Smithee posted:

I’m no ad wizard but leading with your product makes some eyes roll sounds like intro to bad marketing
It worked for Marmite here in the UK, but they weren't trying to ruin you by inducing you to "invest" in a zero-sum game.

When I read stuff like this from people who don't even sound energetic about the grift it just makes me think they're basically saying "we aren't making enough money from our core business, so we want to exploit the idiots speculating in this". Hardly confidence inspiring, or ethically admirable.

Durzel fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Jan 10, 2024

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Is the craft beer scene really big in Australia? I know it is in the States.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Honestly yeah, but we also don't have a lot of tolerance for bullshit so the crypto beer poo poo is 100% failing quickly.

I know about a half dozen craft breweries in the larger city region I'm in, and they're great, but there's also been a bunch that start up and go under very quickly, cause they're trying weird or annoying poo poo like membership programs, or the brewery pub requires reservations, etc.

If we can't walk in, get a beer, sit down (optional) and have our drink then there's too much loving work to bother.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Alan Smithee posted:

Not
For
Twitter

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
How are they going to enforce that? Or is this something different than making an NFT appear as your profile image?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

syntaxfunction posted:

Honestly yeah, but we also don't have a lot of tolerance for bullshit so the crypto beer poo poo is 100% failing quickly.

I know about a half dozen craft breweries in the larger city region I'm in, and they're great, but there's also been a bunch that start up and go under very quickly, cause they're trying weird or annoying poo poo like membership programs, or the brewery pub requires reservations, etc.

If we can't walk in, get a beer, sit down (optional) and have our drink then there's too much loving work to bother.

so is it all IPAs or does Australia have better style diversity ?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

How are they going to enforce that? Or is this something different than making an NFT appear as your profile image?

Twitter had a thing where a hexagonal profile frame meant that Twitter had verified that the picture was actually owned by the user on the blockchain

so basically useless and probably costing them quite a bit to maintain the code

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

There was some special integration that let you set your avatar as an NFT that had some special mechanism to connect to a wallet and copy the jpg from your wallet over to Twitter.

https://coinmarketcap.com/academy/article/how-to-add-your-nft-to-twitter

Personally I thought saving images to my phone and uploading them worked fine but maybe I'm just not web 3.0 enough.