Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

bird with big dick posted:

You should answer the question instead of just awarding points imo

Honestly that’s totally fair and I’ve awarded you 10 Gamer points for requiring me to analyze my own responses to tension as well as my biases. I am able to walk past the meat department without crying because to my knowledge the meat is not either of my dogs or my cat or any pet beloved by any child known to me. They don’t even trick me into buying the meat.

I actually went to butcher school for 2 semesters when I was 20 and did not process a single cat or dog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Vargatron posted:

Honestly, I think I just wish the game had like a Real Time with Pause setting

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

Honestly that’s totally fair and I’ve awarded you 10 Gamer points for requiring me to analyze my own responses to tension as well as my biases. I am able to walk past the meat department without crying because to my knowledge the meat is not either of my dogs or my cat or any pet beloved by any child known to me. They don’t even trick me into buying the meat.

I actually went to butcher school for 2 semesters when I was 20 and did not process a single cat or dog

You know the meat department is real life animal suffering not pretend digital animal suffering right

Not to mention the real life human suffering you're inflicting on everyone in this thread

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

now this is going too drat far. I hope someone gets fired over this post

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

You know the meat department is real life animal suffering not pretend digital animal suffering right

Yes

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
For throwing-based builds: I'm long past the goblin camp, so I don't have access to that recommended throwing weapon. Are there any reasonably-obtainable alternatives in Act 2?

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Forsythia posted:

For throwing-based builds: I'm long past the goblin camp, so I don't have access to that recommended throwing weapon. Are there any reasonably-obtainable alternatives in Act 2?

To my knowledge there isn’t really anything like the returning pike anywhere else in the game until early act 3. If you missed the merchant you might be better off respeccing to the EK build in the interim

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Forsythia posted:

No, you basically have to wait till act 3. But if you take 3 levels of warlock or eldritch knight you can make any weapon into a returning one

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

The Lord Bude posted:

No, you basically have to wait till act 3. But if you take 3 levels of warlock or eldritch knight you can make any weapon into a returning one

Warlock doesn't work, only elderitch knight's bound weapon adds returning.

Comedy option is wild magic barbarian and hope you get the rage effect that adds thrown + returning + bonus damage to your weapon.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
Does throwing weapons make a big damage difference for throwbarb compared to throwing random junk? Bc Im on act 2 rn and random chests and barrels seem to be perfectly fine So far.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Angry Diplomat posted:

Bound weapon sausage :colbert:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Valtonen posted:

Does throwing weapons make a big damage difference for throwbarb compared to throwing random junk? Bc Im on act 2 rn and random chests and barrels seem to be perfectly fine So far.

A throwbarb can honestly do just fine using Reckless/Frenzied Attack if they have to. And sometimes it's not always practical to chuck spears, either due to line of sight or a number of fights in Act 3 especially that can do unwanted collateral damage. If you don't have a returning weapon then you can always keep a few javelins on you when you need them.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Valtonen posted:

Items without the Thrown tag do throwing damage based on their weight, plus any other riders you might have. So if you have Tavern Brawler and the right gear you can still do respectable damage by chucking forks at people, even though javelins will still be better. And what are boxes even for if not to break them over somebody's head?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Oh yeah I'd noticed spears doing 1d6 (same as javelins) base thrown damage instead of what I thought they would do (1d8), is that working as intended?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

To my knowledge there isn’t really anything like the returning pike anywhere else in the game until early act 3. If you missed the merchant you might be better off respeccing to the EK build in the interim

Also the Dwarven thrower, which is a great weapon for when you don't want the AoE from the pike. Both can be gotten immediately in Act 3 but with the thrower you can make it impossible to get so if you want to throw stuff you should read up on it because it's extremely likely that you'll unknowingly make it disappear like I did my first two runs.

Steak
Dec 9, 2005

Pillbug
There's a lot of alcohol laying around in this game. Is there a build that could revolve around your character being drunk constantly?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

A lot of real hardcore cool Gamers in this thread with a concerning lack of empathy lmao

Don’t worry vargatron it’s actually very ok to be upset with this because it is meant to be upsetting and not everyone has a skewed Extremely Online tolerance to that sort of thing

It's OK to be upset at certain types of content in the media you consume, but saying that the person who put it in should be fired, i.e. a video game cat is more important than a real human, does not demonstrate to me that you are overflowing with empathy

ZeeCee
Jan 6, 2023

My hot take is that returning weapons are kind of a trap option and easily surpassed by a good +initiative weapon and just chucking the looted +1 spears and javelins that are everywhere. All those little daggers and tools the surgeon carries are good too.

Network42
Oct 23, 2002
I think my latest honor mode run might be hosed?

I'm attacking the gnolls outside the zhent cave, and Flind walked up and triggered the conversation where you can worm command her. Something happened and the conversation got pulled back to the main combat screen. Now everyone is just standing around, I can't seem to get back into the conversation OR give anyone any commands. The problem is I stupidly hit alt+f4 instead of going through the task manager to close it, and this issue is persisting through the save.

Anyone familiar with any similar situation to know how to unfuck this? It's really annoying because I'm like halfway to level 6, so I'm pretty deep into act I.

Basically the game thinks there's a conversation going on, but I'm in the battle screen, I can't give anyone any commands, don't have my hotbar, etc. But I've clicked on everyone and it won't go into the convo.

Network42 fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jan 10, 2024

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Steak posted:

There's a lot of alcohol laying around in this game. Is there a build that could revolve around your character being drunk constantly?

Punch-Drunk Bastard + Amulet of the Drunkard. The former is a great club that gives Advantage on all attacks while drunk, which is a pretty useful ability. The latter gives a minor heal when drunk, but it's kind of bugged and only heals on the first turn.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Steak posted:

I came across a club in act 2 that gives you bonuses while drunk

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

I’ve never actually gotten that scene myself. Orin has always abducted Halsin or Gale and blessed me with the clarity of taking my sweet time.

In my playthrough she abducted Gale. He was a benchwarmer and I loved long resting, so I'm pretty sure it took me several in-game weeks to get around to rescuing him lol

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Network42 posted:

I think my latest honor mode run might be hosed?

I'm attacking the gnolls outside the zhent cave, and Flind walked up and triggered the conversation where you can worm command her. Something happened and the conversation got pulled back to the main combat screen. Now everyone is just standing around, I can't seem to get back into the conversation OR give anyone any commands. The problem is I stupidly hit alt+f4 instead of going through the task manager to close it, and this issue is persisting through the save.

Anyone familiar with any similar situation to know how to unfuck this? It's really annoying because I'm like halfway to level 6, so I'm pretty deep into act I.

Basically the game thinks there's a conversation going on, but I'm in the battle screen, I can't give anyone any commands, don't have my hotbar, etc. But I've clicked on everyone and it won't go into the convo.

I had the exact same thing happen to me and also stupidly quit the game instead of killing the task, causing a soft lock on my save. I used bitter divorce, killed Conner, then used it again on him and he rose again. But this time combat restarted, but would never pick someone's turn.

That wasn't helpful, but I wanted to share that it also happened to me. This is why before I play each day I make a copy of the HM save file so I can revert back if something buggy happens.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
Hold on, does the dialogue of the game attest for your character being drunk in any way? I thoight alcohol was just a camp rest item among the other food stuffs.

Steak
Dec 9, 2005

Pillbug
It can apply the Alcohol condition.

I would love to do a run of an average charisma character who thinks he's high charisma due to alcohol.

The roleplaying opportunities in this game is fun.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
It’s the hyperbolic tone over something that is extremely avoidable (I beat the game for the … 9th? time last night and had no idea that was possible) that makes my eyes roll.

I really do understand being sensitive to certain types of violence. I have my own things I avoid or am really careful about only taking in when I’m prepared for them that would be weird to talk about in this thread.

The posts were bad, though. They were bad posts.

I get it. I really do. It’s just that your posting is bad and that’s what you should feel bad about.

If nothing else, the most obvious thing in the world was the one time that character was kidnapped by Orin. Little kid appears in my camp, overly cheerful, and talks about having her “own paring knife?” C’moooonnnn. That was Orin. Yeah, she uses the same dialogue when it’s not Orin but that was written to make you go “wait a second.”

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Forsythia posted:

as others have said here you wanna go Eldritch Knight, max your strength. it's not going to be quite as strong at throwing as a berserker barbarian multiclass, but y'know what who cares? you get spells and poo poo

If you want something simple, just go pure Eldritch Knight, grab 16 strength, get some intelligence as well and constitution. take Tavern Brawler at level 4 and then +2 strength at level 8. throw poo poo, nuke poo poo with spells, you're all good to go

There's a weapon with shock damage for EKs sold by Dammon so grab that

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

PSA: If you like throwing and don't already know this you should spoiler yourself regarding the Dwarven Thrower because it is very likely you will unknowingly make it disappear during the first moments of Act 3 like I did on my first two runs.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Steak posted:

It can apply the Alcohol condition.

I would love to do a run of an average charisma character who thinks he's high charisma due to alcohol.

The roleplaying opportunities in this game is fun.

One of the guys in my run wanted to use the drunk amulet but I stopped them by asking this question “Are you going to remember to drink your booze before you kick the door open and start a fight?”

So just keep it on your hot bar if you’re really in it for the content.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Geekboy posted:

It’s the hyperbolic tone over something that is extremely avoidable (I beat the game for the … 9th? time last night and had no idea that was possible) that makes my eyes roll.

I really do understand being sensitive to certain types of violence. I have my own things I avoid or am really careful about only taking in when I’m prepared for them that would be weird to talk about in this thread.

The posts were bad, though. They were bad posts.

I get it. I really do. It’s just that your posting is bad and that’s what you should feel bad about.

If nothing else, the most obvious thing in the world was the one time that character was kidnapped by Orin. Little kid appears in my camp, overly cheerful, and talks about having her “own paring knife?” C’moooonnnn. That was Orin. Yeah, she uses the same dialogue when it’s not Orin but that was written to make you go “wait a second.”

wait is that kid orin the whole time? I remember thinking it was pretty weird that they brought a knife with them and I remember the cat, but nothing ever happened with it and they didn't seem to do anything when I talked to them so I just sorta ignored them. The scene in question definitely didn't happen for me.

man if that's the case I'm definitely dumb because I never even considered that lol, despite her popping up all over the place and wondering how on earth she kept leaving notes for me

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Weird Pumpkin posted:

wait is that kid orin the whole time? I remember thinking it was pretty weird that they brought a knife with them and I remember the cat, but nothing ever happened with it and they didn't seem to do anything when I talked to them so I just sorta ignored them. The scene in question definitely didn't happen for me.

man if that's the case I'm definitely dumb because I never even considered that lol, despite her popping up all over the place and wondering how on earth she kept leaving notes for me

I think it's kind of an either/or situation. If another party member gets abducted, then Yenna remains human for the rest of the game. If nobody else gets abducted, then she eventually morphs into Orin. The kid is basically there to ensure somebody in your camp is there to turn even if you've had some spectacular failure run where everyone else is dead.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

I think it's kind of an either/or situation. If another party member gets abducted, then Yenna remains human for the rest of the game. If nobody else gets abducted, then she eventually morphs into Orin. The kid is basically there to ensure somebody in your camp is there to turn even if you've had some spectacular failure run where everyone else is dead.

it's especially obvious if you ever get suspicious and try to tell the kid off in future runs; she and the cat will reappear every single long rest asking to come into the camp, regardless of how many times you tell her to scram

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Schrodinger's Yenna

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

PSA: If you like throwing and don't already know this you should spoiler yourself regarding the Dwarven Thrower because it is very likely you will unknowingly make it disappear during the first moments of Act 3 like I did on my first two runs.

I had no idea that vendor even existed.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

In both my runs the kidnapping victim got revealed in the sewers, so I never actually saw the camp scenes. to be fair, both "not-Yenna feeds Grub to you" and "not-Lae'zel murders Yenna on screen" are pretty disturbing. Everything about the Bhaal cult is extremely extra in a way that I can understand it being more than some players want to deal with. Though it's not the first time the game gets very gruesome.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

DeadlyMuffin posted:

The cause of the vendor not being available is something the great majority of players do apparently.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
It’s definitely either/or and I go out of my way to be sure Yenna, the orphan with a heart of gold and an anxious cat WHO I JUST WANT TO BEFRIEND DAMMIT is safe in every run.

For me, what’s really upsetting is that I can’t win the cat over. I demand a refund!

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

DeadlyMuffin posted:

I didn't either until I saw the weapon mentioned here and was like "Why don't I have this"

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

yeah I've read that Larian has a bunch of backup/failsafe characters in case you murder hobo your way through the game. it's intentionally designed to let the player do whatever and not break the game (hopefully)

it kind of reminds me of F:NV in that way--the game was deliberately designed to let you kill basically whoever and still have the main plot advance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
specifically the vendor disappears if you have Shadowheart in your party when you encounter the vendor, early in Rivington at the start of Act 3

so you might wanna switch out Shadowheart for someone else around Rivington if you want to access that vendor