Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

The Lord Bude posted:

Remind me what that is exactly?

Presumably the volley thing

https://bg3.wiki/wiki/Hunter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Bound weapon sausage :colbert:

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Whirlwind/volley. All normal attacks become 3m AoEs.

that is not nearly as good as you think it is. 3m is a very small radius, you’ll very, very rarely hit 3 targets let alone more, and it just does base damage - compare that to a battle master doing 6 hits in round 1 with an extra 1d8 damage, or a bard doing 8 with an extra 1d8 damage. Basically any other serious weapon damage build in the game would be able to do more damage than that.

Schwawa
Jul 28, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

For a throwbarb, the general idea is that you select Berserker as your Level 3 specialization for Frenzied Throw. Frenzied Throw lets you use an additional throwing attack on your BONUS action, with an additional chance to knock enemies prone. The reason why the build is so strong is that it comes online very early in the game. Ring of Flinging from the merchant in the Emerald Grove, Returning Pike from the vendor outside the Goblin Camp, and Tavern Brawler as your Level 4 feat are really all you need to get going. A final build ends up looking like 5 Barb / 4 Champ / 3 Thief. Champion gets you easier crits and another feat, Thief gets you an additional bonus action for Frenzied Throw.

Just fyi there's no chance to knock enemies prone on Enraged Throw, that's why its so good. If it hits (and it will almost always hit because you double your Str bonus with Tavern Brawler), they go prone, no save.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Moon Slayer posted:

Agreed; if after all the violence, blood, dialogue about abuse/torture, anti-refugee sentiment, and all the rest you find Orin killing a cat offscreen to be so far beyond the pale you don't think the game should be played anymore, that's a you problem.

Well forgive me for trying to get through a game I already spent $70 on and 50+ hours of my time to try to get through. The game is mostly fine in terms of violence but the end of Act 2 and through the parts of Act 3 I player, I was disgusted. I can forgive once incidence of head stomping or whatever, but the scene I described with animals is just hack writing and the person who put it in the game should be fired. What narrative purpose did that serve? Orin already had heat with the player. Why involve child murder and animal abuse?

I really wish I could get a refund on this game, but I can't. I'll never buy another Larian title. They release unfinished games with bad writing and unnecessary cruelty because that's the only way they know to create emotional reactions with players.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Vargatron posted:

Well forgive me for trying to get through a game I already spent $70 on and 50+ hours of my time to try to get through. The game is mostly fine in terms of violence but the end of Act 2 and through the parts of Act 3 I player, I was disgusted. I can forgive once incidence of head stomping or whatever, but the scene I described with animals is just hack writing and the person who put it in the game should be fired. What narrative purpose did that serve? Orin already had heat with the player. Why involve child murder and animal abuse?

I really wish I could get a refund on this game, but I can't. I'll never buy another Larian title. They release unfinished games with bad writing and unnecessary cruelty because that's the only way they know to create emotional reactions with players.

Perhaps a Disney game will suit you better? Or a lot of church groups are putting out nice wholesome games now I hear.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Whats the deal with quests seemingly not completing? I did all of rescue art cullagh but still have lift the shadowcurse as an uncompleted quest despite killing ketheric. Same with find the nightsong and find zevlor. I did all of these so why aren't they moving into completed?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Jose posted:

Whats the deal with quests seemingly not completing? I did all of rescue art cullagh but still have lift the shadowcurse as an uncompleted quest despite killing ketheric. Same with find the nightsong and find zevlor. I did all of these so why aren't they moving into completed?

some people have been reporting oddities with quest items since the last hotfix, although I can’t say I’ve noticed in my game.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Jose posted:

I think they'll move into completed once you move into Act 3. It was acting the same way on PS5 for me.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Ok nightsong at least requires act 3. No idea whats going on with the others but gently caress it

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Yenna is chilling at my camp selling soup she’s been handling this way better than OP tbh. Your beef should be with the play testers who whined and made it so your romance option never got chosen.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Don't you mean your cat.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

JBP posted:

I'm keen to do this. Bound weapon with something funny and heaps of spoons. The most powerful man in the land.

E: also want to do it because on my third run I figured out the djinn and my lord

If you go with fork throwing you can make the Blue Raja from mystery men.

“Well, I’m the Blue Raja. I’m not Stab Man. I’m not Knifey Boy. I’m the Blue Raja.”

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Black Noise posted:

Your beef should be with the play testers who whined and made it so your romance option never got chosen.

It's incredibly weird that even on top of the blocker on your current romance option, half of the companions just arbitrarily can't be picked (and since if the wiki is right Yenna is the last resort and only get picked if all four of Lae'zel/Gale/Halsin/Minthara were either not recruited or are in the party when the kidnapping happens, it almost takes deliberate effort to get that outcome - which would be even more true if the blockers were removed

also weird that Minthara isn't prioritised given her history with Orin but as it stood she kidnapped...literally the one candidate I cared least about.

"your kidnapping is important to us, all our rescue agents are currently busy assisting other victims, please stand by. Your estimated wait time is: five days"

meanwhile a literal mind flayer and a pack of gnomish hostages prance with newfound freedom and an ex-pirate desperately tries to clean the hag placenta off her toddler

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jan 10, 2024

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Vargatron posted:

It’s a pretend digital cat in a game about wizards.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
A lot of real hardcore cool Gamers in this thread with a concerning lack of empathy lmao

Don’t worry vargatron it’s actually very ok to be upset with this because it is meant to be upsetting and not everyone has a skewed Extremely Online tolerance to that sort of thing

Big Bowie Bonanza fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jan 10, 2024

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Like it’s extremely common in actual tabletop groups for 5e to have limits on sexual/violent content especially against children or animals established in session 0 to the point where there’s multiple well developed ways for people to covertly indicate they may not be comfortable with the current direction of a session. I am assuming the people laying into vargatron are not well adjusted enough to have ever lasted longer than a session or two before getting kicked out or the game fizzles out and the group reforms without them

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Wait til you guys hear about the movie called Bambi, it’s real hosed up.

I told my DND group I watched it and they Kicked me the gently caress out at Session 0 for being a psycho.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

space uncle posted:

Wait til you guys hear about the movie called Bambi, it’s real hosed up.

I told my DND group I watched it and they Kicked me the gently caress out at Session 0 for being a psycho.

I know in your logical goon brain there isn’t a difference between stuff so I’ve credited you 5 points to your Gamer Score for this post space uncle

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

The Lord Bude posted:

that is not nearly as good as you think it is. 3m is a very small radius, you’ll very, very rarely hit 3 targets let alone more, and it just does base damage - compare that to a battle master doing 6 hits in round 1 with an extra 1d8 damage, or a bard doing 8 with an extra 1d8 damage. Basically any other serious weapon damage build in the game would be able to do more damage than that.

Since Volley is an AoE it can unmask hidden enemies and do damage to enemies with Sanctuary. It uses an Attack Roll instead of a Saving Throw, so it's much more reliable against end-game enemies, especially at higher difficulty levels. Also, by the time you actually get Volley you'll be doing a lot of fights against bunched up enemies eg. Bhaalists.

No other class gets this sort of ability that can be spammed endlessly and/or doesn't require limited resources. It's a very good capstone ability.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Goon: this very upsetting thing upset me
Cool Goon: heh guess you aren’t ready for the real world

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

I know in your logical goon brain there isn’t a difference between stuff so I’ve credited you 5 points to your Gamer Score for this post space uncle

Thanks bud, looks like with the current exchange rate that lets me say the Gamer Word 5 times.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

A lot of real hardcore cool Gamers in this thread with a concerning lack of empathy lmao

Don’t worry vargatron it’s actually very ok to be upset with this because it is meant to be upsetting and not everyone has a skewed Extremely Online tolerance to that sort of thing

How do you walk past meat at the supermarket without crying.

Psycho Mantits
Oct 6, 2009

Vargatron posted:

I understand that the game has content you're uncomfortable with, but it's uncomfortable material that's off-screen and completely avoidable. It's not gratuitous, it's not the game shoving wanton cruelty in your face to be all "look how extreme we are," it's a single scene where you see the after-effects of a very cruel act that is done to illustrate how monstrous a villain is, and the scene is, again, completely avoidable depending on your party composition.

Between this and your visceral reaction to Aylin, you may want to me be more stringent in checking the ESRB/Pegi/etc. ratings when you buy games in the future. "Blood and Gore, Intense Violence" are right there in the rating description.

EDIT: Also this website will likely be a good resource for you, I use it myself: Does the Dog Die?

Psycho Mantits fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jan 10, 2024

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Knuc U Kinte posted:

How do you walk past meat at the supermarket without crying.

I have credited you 5 Gamer Points as well

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Saved Orphan, Bought Soup, Slept Peacefully.

Then I was attacked by vampires

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

it is absolutely meant to be upsetting and people have every right to be upset by it and even quit if they're that upset (or, alternatively, not play in the first place if the descriptions of "INTENSE VIOLENCE, BLOOD AND GORE" etc attached to that ESRB rating they read were sufficiently offputting to them)

your feelings are valid

bringing those feelings into the thread for public consumption in that specific way could perhaps be questioned

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
I definitely found the cat thing upsetting in a way video games usually aren't.

But the Aylin stuff and a bunch of the other blood and gore didn't bother me at all.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

to be clear. I’m not laughing at the idea of someone finding cat murder distressing, I’m laughing at the ridiculous Karen throwing a temper tantrum over it; culminating in a declaration that someone should be fired for having put it in the game.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

While my previous posts may have been flippant or jokes, I think it’s understandable to be sensitive and get upset about video games. They are art, they are telling stories, this game specifically has a lot of violence and mature themes that are not for sensitive or young people. I would not let my kid watch or play BG3, even though he thinks Dragons and Beholders are very cool.

I don’t fully understand how you can make it all the way to Act 3 before being concerned by violence. The game intro cinematic is essentially a 9/11 attack on Baldur’s Gate with a tower falling on civilians. They are then abducted and you find their severed heads and see their disembodied brains within the first 5 minutes of the game.

One of the first NPC plot points you encounter is a giant snake trying to murder a child. If you fail a dice roll here the child dies. Nearby - harpies threaten a child with the same stakes. This is all in Act One.

Through the course of the game, even playing as a pacifist bard who uses Persuade to avoid all combats when possible, my party murdered hundreds of animals and humans. You witness animal cruelty towards the Owlbears, you find body horror hyenas, you can very easily (and with no ill intent) resurrect a woman’s dead husband as a Shambling Zombie and horrify her. Then in Act 3 you can do it again (I didn’t learn my lesson) and traumatize a little girl in the graveyard.

The game has a lot of adult content. I don’t want to judge anyone for not engaging with it, but likewise I don’t want to be judged as an edgelord gamer for enjoying it.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

I’m not judging anyone as an edge lord gamer for enjoying it, my judgement here is moreso aimed at the “well you fought an adult mutual combatant so torturing a child and forcing the child’s caretakers to eat the child’s beloved pet is the same thing! I’m very logical!!” crowd

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

The Lord Bude posted:

to be clear. I’m not laughing at the idea of someone finding cat murder distressing, I’m laughing at the ridiculous Karen throwing a temper tantrum over it; culminating in a declaration that someone should be fired for having put it in the game.

It's also like the second or third post from this poster in this thread, this week, talking about how they don't know if they can finish the game, in the same kind of hyperbolic tone.

No one is holding a gun to your head. If it's that upsetting, or that unfun to okay, the uninstall button is right there. Cut your losses and move on.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Psycho Mantits posted:

EDIT: Also this website will likely be a good resource for you, I use it myself: Does the Dog Die?

This is absolutely helpful in a way that the ESRB rating isn't. I'm fine with blood and gore and violence in games but it depends on how it's used and the context of it. Blowing enemies apart in Doom Eternal and seeing a character's head getting stomped in are two separate things for me. I think the thing with Aylin bothered me so bad is because it felt like an extreme tonal shift and that carried into Act 3. I didn't have any problems with the content in Acts 1 and 2.

I understand that people have different things that they're sensitive to. I just had a very negative experience coming out of the game and it's not what I wanted or expected coming from the Baldur's Gate series.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

tbh I didn't even know anything bad could happen to an animal in the game (squirrels/combat aside apparently, and I guess outside of the animal you meet in act 1 where you could end up having to fight). I ended up trundling around in Act 3, went into the sewer pretty early and got the event there. Other than weird notes repeatedly appearing in my camp and her popping up all over the place she never seemed to do much else until I took her out in 1 round in her actual fight

I think I wanna do a resist durge run when it comes time to try that route/character. I'll probably choose (companion plot spoilers I spose) Shadowheart again for the romance when I do. Partially because I'm extremely basic and have a huge weakspot for that kinda character, but also because from the vague spoilers I've gotten by accident about what happens in the run it feels like Shadowheart's plot and romance would be really thematically appropriate. I think she gets special dialogue or something too?

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

It’s actually way more hosed up to not feel at least some level of disgust at a depiction of grotesque violence against animals

This sounds pretty judgy. I didn't see anyone saying that scene ruled. I was pretty stressed to get my party to rush the rescue otherwise you just kinda leave Halsin until the end of the act because most people stop using him by them.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Dzhokhar Tsarnaev is right. We should examine our responses to violence

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Put Orin on the cover of rolling stone immediately and I’ll change my tune

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I’ve never actually gotten that scene myself. Orin has always abducted Halsin or Gale and blessed me with the clarity of taking my sweet time.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Understandable and fine: saw a particularly bad scene and got kind of upset, argued that the game should have some kind of content warning or something so people don't buy it and blindly walk into that

Perhaps a tiny bit insane: saw a particularly bad scene and got kind of upset, argued that the scene's inclusion was somehow morally or ethically wrong and the person who wrote it should be fired

Listen. We're all prone to rationalizing our gut reactions. That doesn't make it okay or correct to do that. A tabletop group can pre-negotiate triggers and comfort zones in a way that a video game cannot possibly begin to imitate. Please bookmark doesthedogdie dot com and go have some tea or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I have credited you 5 Gamer Points as well

You should answer the question instead of just awarding points imo