Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

inchworm posted:

what, u know em all?

no the opposite

we have just started to list them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

SKULL.GIF posted:

Still digging through posts from February 2022. I'm trying to find something specific about the description of the shot-down UFO but having no luck so far.

Corbell said the jellyfish was only visible on thermal imaging, right?

I am positive one of the objects shot down was described as having something hanging from it. So definitely could be we jellied a jelly

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

i'll give you a simpler explanation: cloak broke

seems to happen a lot, pretty lovely space magic imo

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

thunderspanks posted:

seems to happen a lot, pretty lovely space magic imo

yeah it "seems" to happen a lot because you don't notice when it works fine, just like how every piece of technology in your life works flawlessly 95% of the time but it seems like it's always breaking because of the 5% it doesn't

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

D-Pad posted:

I am positive one of the objects shot down was described as having something hanging from it. So definitely could be we jellied a jelly

Yes, that's actually exactly the post that I'm trying to find from February 2023

SKULL.GIF has issued a correction as of 00:00 on Jan 11, 2024

Stinky Wizzleteats
Nov 26, 2015

You must pay the price for this post.
I love prime numbers, my birthday and hour/minute of birth are all prime numbers

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Oh hey Corbell popping up again while I'm looking further into this.:

Tekne posted:

while my kneejerk response is to roll my eyes whenever i see his name, corbell does seem to be talking to rogan about the same kind of trash birds they just shot down https://twitter.com/JeremyCorbell/status/1625011061199101952

these sorta of janky looking objects have been recorded before too

san diego sphere

portuguese bird o' war

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

yeah it "seems" to happen a lot because you don't notice when it works fine, just like how every piece of technology in your life works flawlessly 95% of the time but it seems like it's always breaking because of the 5% it doesn't

Yeah but my toaster isn't the veil between planes of existence. Hope someone in their QA department got fired for that blunder

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

my televisions work more than 95% of the time

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

thunderspanks posted:

Why would shadow monsters or space jellyfish reveal themselves in highly public areas only to do.. nothing? Just kinda show up for a bit then wander away? Just like the alien equivalent of lovely teenagers who hop into the animal enclosure for a laugh and every decade or two one gets owned by the local population. Maybe humanity is the harambe of the stars

air quality monitoring? in the videos i watched they have a bunch of drones orbiting them and then the drones seem to go back into the jellyfish and then the jellyfish goes away
or maybe they're doing google maps type stuff using a sensor array

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

without knowing what dimensions they are primarily operating in it’s impossible to know really

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I don't know if anything came of this, but interesting:

Pilots describing sensor interference (cloaking? jamming?):

I'm going crazy, I can't find the original post where the pilots mentioned stuff hanging below the UFO/octagon. This is the earliest mention of it I can find in this thread but I can't find the original.:

BoldFace posted:

So, it was shaped like an octagon and had strings attached to it but no discernible payload? Sounds like it was carrying something that was dropped before it was shot down.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

have we considered that these aliens have simply smelled a pie and are floating towards it contentedly?

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

euphronius posted:

without knowing what dimensions they are primarily operating in it’s impossible to know really

I could know it easily

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

OK I finally found the original sourcing of the "strings hanging below it but with no discernible payload". Somewhere around the :40 to 1:00 mark:

https://twitter.com/MikeColangelo/status/1625140043563122691

Basically nowhere else mentions the dangling strings. No news articles, no Twitter posts aside from this one, just stuff obliquely referencing or reacting to this description. No followup on this.

Andy Pandy
Dec 11, 2007

Grimey Drawer

SKULL.GIF posted:

Basically nowhere else mentions the dangling strings. No news articles, no Twitter posts aside from this one, just stuff obliquely referencing or reacting to this description. No followup on this.

This article mentions them:

https://news.sky.com/story/us-jet-s...rcraft-12809826

Sky News posted:

A senior US official, speaking anonymously, described the latest object as having "an octagonal structure with strings hanging off but no discernible payload".

inchworm
Jun 23, 2023
brb, making a mangosteen pie

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

So I'm gonna say one of the objects the USA shot down 11 months ago had a reasonable possibility of being a jellyfish UFO. :jiggled:

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Turritopsis dohrnii is a biologically immortal jellyfish. Lets just say if you live long enough you figure some stuff out.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Tighclops posted:

I will prepare to roast a marshmellon

Go climb a rock.

inchworm
Jun 23, 2023

The Saucer Hovers posted:

Turritopsis dohrnii is a biologically immortal jellyfish. Lets just say if you live long enough you figure some stuff out.

in between this and how little we know about the ocean or deeper and that there's nematodes that live pretty deep in the earth (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halicephalobus_mephisto) and the Vela larp, it would be cool as hell if there's a whole other world right underneath us, churning with deep water and molten rock, and very uncool if humanity at large decides to nuke it when they find out

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

thunderspanks posted:

Why would shadow monsters or space jellyfish reveal themselves in highly public areas only to do.. nothing? Just kinda show up for a bit then wander away? Just like the alien equivalent of lovely teenagers who hop into the animal enclosure for a laugh and every decade or two one gets owned by the local population. Maybe humanity is the harambe of the stars
I happened to be searching through the thread for old info related to a post I've been working on, and came across this explanation that should shed some light on your question.

endocriminologist posted:

*flies around in my gay little ufo in a way that makes u irritated*

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

thunderspanks posted:

Why would shadow monsters or space jellyfish reveal themselves in highly public areas only to do.. nothing? Just kinda show up for a bit then wander away?

this is exactly what birds probably say to each other about birdwatchers, gorillas about zoologists, bugs about entomologists, etc

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

maybe we aren't the ones they're trying to hide from

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Dun dun DUUUUUN

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Fitzy Fitz posted:

whoa

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

If a thing can only be seen in infrared, how would that look to us in the visible spectrum when it stands in front of other things?

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

Polo-Rican posted:

this is exactly what birds probably say to each other about birdwatchers, gorillas about zoologists, bugs about entomologists, etc

Sure but these creatures have no ability for rational thought and our existence is effectively meaningless to them. Granted, gorillas are slightly higher on the scale but none of them are going around making viral videos of hairless ape monsters casually sauntering through the gorilla shopping mall while everyone runs away and a thousand gorilla cops point gorilla guns at them. And the gorillas aren't making movies about it afterwards. All I'm trying to say is if they're trying to be covert, they've failed spectacularly for the last century.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I've been rewatching a ton of the 90's Outer Limits the last couple of weeks so this is the best answer by far

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

The Demilich posted:

If a thing can only be seen in infrared, how would that look to us in the visible spectrum when it stands in front of other things?

Black I guess

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
my other theory is that all uap are cursors

Lackey
May 31, 2000

Monsters?
They look like monsters to you?

Brain Curry posted:

have we considered that these aliens have simply smelled a pie and are floating towards it contentedly?

The sheer power of a freshly-baked loaf of bread.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

The Demilich posted:

em radiation is caused by vibration or movement of physical matter (molecules, atoms, plasmas, etc).
consider a flame. it emits infrared radiation and visible light radiation. if it only emitted infrared, you'd be able to feel the heat and see how that heat affects nearby air, the fuel source, and disturbed dust/ash, but the flame itself would be invisible. i think it would occlude anything on the far side of it because light from those objects would be partially passing through the invisible flame.
air is another good one to consider. you don't see it, but it can refract or obscure light passing through.
i suppose a black hole is also a pretty good example for an opaque object as it doesn't emit any em radiation directly and just appears as a black hole

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Cursor or the visible edge of a 5th dimensional object have been frustratingly attractive alternate explanations for me

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

thunderspanks posted:

Why would shadow monsters or space jellyfish reveal themselves in highly public areas only to do.. nothing?

In the context of the Corbell jellyfish video, it was floating through a military base and impacting sensor equipment, so I wouldn't say (at least in this case) that it was just floating thru and doing nothing. My guess based on my years of experience eating taco bell is that it was either doing reconnaissance or tinkering with nukes as they are known to do.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

its not like cephalopods are known utilizers of natures best active camouflage

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

oh duh, glass!

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol

It's this imo. Bad GUI design but whatever

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

we'll just need to make a comet cursor spyware plugin and then we'll have them against the wall!

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

tough living way down/in there all the pressures and heats and darknesses eventually some squid one weird tricked itself into plasmatic field manipulation and the rest was squiddy history

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

In 1998 my cursor was a little pixel sword like this