Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Scarabrae posted:

Jesus christo

At first I was just mildly amused/horrified. Then the song came on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I would guess that's why they made a point of Brazil having a space program. If Happy Valley does declare itself independent the M7 would cut them off as a pressure tactic presumably, but then they could get their space corn flakes and space cocaine from Brazil or Kenya or whoever else has rockets and isn't part of the M7 in exchange for iridium.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Mars has about as much land area as the Earth does so the idea of it declaring independence at all when there's a whole one settlement on the entire planet is very funny, just drop another base elsewhere, in fact scatter like 50 of them around, what are they gonna do, it's not like they can enforce the claim

Even with the decades of time skips it still feels like the show is just moving implausibly fast at this point, like it's tripping over its own feet trying to get to whatever ending they have planned.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Mister Bates posted:

Even with the decades of time skips it still feels like the show is just moving implausibly fast at this point, like it's tripping over its own feet trying to get to whatever ending they have planned.

The last episode is Emissary, part 1.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Even though Season 2 was still mostly great television and I enjoyed it quite a bit, with the benefit of hindsight it increasingly feels like the decision to do a decade timeskip each season, ending in the future, was a huge mistake that has been undermining the show more and more the further we get from the original start date. I remember wondering how they were going to make that work over the long term, and then seasons 3 and 4 came out and it turns out the answer was 'they don't.'

Like, for that to work you'd need to treat it less like a single show with one long plot arc and treat it more like an anthology series, five different one-season shows set in the same universe, with some recurring characters but mostly new main casts every season - and when you write that out it becomes obvious why they didn't do that, because that sounds like an absolute nightmare to manage, but, like, they could have also just not decided to do a 50-year-long plot.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
I think the writers had ideas for interesting things to say about the past, and very few things to say about the present - let alone the future.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I think the season got hit by the writers strike and the show runners had to rely on ChatGPT too much

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Mister Bates posted:

Even though Season 2 was still mostly great television and I enjoyed it quite a bit, with the benefit of hindsight it increasingly feels like the decision to do a decade timeskip each season, ending in the future, was a huge mistake that has been undermining the show more and more the further we get from the original start date. I remember wondering how they were going to make that work over the long term, and then seasons 3 and 4 came out and it turns out the answer was 'they don't.'

Like, for that to work you'd need to treat it less like a single show with one long plot arc and treat it more like an anthology series, five different one-season shows set in the same universe, with some recurring characters but mostly new main casts every season - and when you write that out it becomes obvious why they didn't do that, because that sounds like an absolute nightmare to manage, but, like, they could have also just not decided to do a 50-year-long plot.

I dunno, I think the time jumps work and any problems with the show are more to do with the writing independently of the timejump. Unlike most of the thread I quite like the main cast and I don't feel like the ones who have been here from the start have overstayed their welcome. The show has kept rotating folks in pretty well and the fact that (particularly this season) new characters don't feel ready to take the torch up is entirely just bad writing and not inherent to the structure.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Mister Bates posted:

Mars has about as much land area as the Earth does so the idea of it declaring independence at all when there's a whole one settlement on the entire planet is very funny, just drop another base elsewhere, in fact scatter like 50 of them around, what are they gonna do, it's not like they can enforce the claim

I had a pretty serious conversation about Mars colonies and independence (not related to TV shows) recently and the whole idea is pretty laughable. The tiny science base is entirely dependent on supplies from earth. Even if they could grow enough poo poo potatoes to feed themselves, it'd only last until a major life support system requires repair or replacement and then they're fucekd.

You want to mine the asteroid yourself and dictate the terms to Earth? How about we don't send you the replacement co2 scrubbers :colbert:

Overall my impression is this is where the show - or at least Ed and Dev - want to go. Secure an important and powerful position for Mars and themselves on it, either independent or by holding leverage over Earth. And after another 10+ year time jump, there'd be some sort of strong Mars nationalist movement kind of what we've seen in other sci-fi.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jan 10, 2024

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

mobby_6kl posted:

I had a pretty serious conversation about Mars colonies and independence (not related to TV shows) recently and the whole idea is pretty laughable. The tiny science base is entirely dependent on supplies from earth. Even if they could grow enough poo poo potatoes to feed themselves, it'd only last until a major life support system requires repair or replacement and then they're fucekd.

You want to mine the asteroid yourself and dictate the terms to Earth? How about we don't send you the replacement co2 scrubbers :colbert:

Yeah, I remember someone doing some plausible sounding rough estimates what population and industrial base a self sustaining Mars colony would need and it's in the 100k+ people range IIRC. There are a lot of corners you can cut(like, you don't need a modern 5 nm chip fab with 2000 suppliers and their supply chains, a simple early 90s lithography process would already be enough for basic survival electronics), but producing even the most bare and basic version of everything still takes an insane amount of labor.

Like, you need 2 people who make milling heads for the other 2 people who mill the machines that another 2 people use to make molts for the other 2 people who cast wrenches so another 2 people can use a wrench to change a hosed up rover tire. Then you also have to make a new tire. And a carjack.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

GABA ghoul posted:

Yeah, I remember someone doing some plausible sounding rough estimates what population and industrial base a self sustaining Mars colony would need and it's in the 100k+ people range IIRC. There are a lot of corners you can cut(like, you don't need a modern 5 nm chip fab with 2000 suppliers and their supply chains, a simple early 90s lithography process would already be enough for basic survival electronics), but producing even the most bare and basic version of everything still takes an insane amount of labor.

Like, you need 2 people who make milling heads for the other 2 people who mill the machines that another 2 people use to make molts for the other 2 people who cast wrenches so another 2 people can use a wrench to change a hosed up rover tire. Then you also have to make a new tire. And a carjack.

Kim Stanley Robinson's Red Mars trilogy is not perfect, but it is a pretty good portrayal of the problems of Mars colonization, and how truly long-term such a project would be even if it were possible. When the first 100 people are sent to Mars, one of them immediately starts talking about independence, and the idea is treated as flat-out impossible and the guy promoting it as a fringe weirdo. They don't even try for decades and decades, by which point there are millions of people on the planet, and the uprising is a one-sided massacre in which the colonial government just punctures the hab domes of all the rebellious cities and lets them asphyxiate..

It feels like the show has largely forgotten how difficult space is, to the point that space feels almost like an afterthought on this show that is notionally about the space program.

A strike of essential maintenance personnel on loving Mars is treated like an annoying inconvenience instead of an immediate life-or-death situation. Stealing all the space suits and either hiding them or dumping them outside barely seems to impede operations. A group of guys with no suits can be in a building that explodes, and not only are they almost all still alive, they also all somehow make it back without suits. A bunch of characters want to go to Mars and then they're just on Mars, as smoothly as if they had teleported. The dumbest boy alive can set himself up as a space crime lord with no connections and a few months of experience as an errand boy. Somebody can seriously talk about turning an outpost with 100 people in it on an alien planet into 'a home', and they are treated sympathetically, rather than as a giant idiot.

They clearly want to focus more on the soapy character drama, and you know what, the thing is, I would be fine with that, if the drama was consistently good. It's not, though, and it's all the more frustrating because it feels like they're leaving more interesting stories they could be telling - telling with the exact same characters in the exact same setting, even - on the table.

Mister Bates fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jan 10, 2024

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Mister Bates posted:

Yeah. The first couple of seasons felt like they could have been prequels to 2001: A Space Odyssey. By the early 90s though, the FAM timeline was even ahead of that incredibly optimistic universe.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
The fact that they have miracle engines that can go to Mars in a month flat, and this is never shown or elaborated on beyond being necessary for the plot to move that fast, is where I feel the show went off the rails.

Like the tech advances are so fast that if the Mars race was delayed a couple years these new ships would be overtaking all 3 ships. It's less than a decade from first person on Mars to completely trivializing the entire process of going there. There's also no consideration for the fact that not all positions of Earth-Mars are equally efficient or short and even with miracle engines you still can't just head over there whenever you want. They treat it like it's the moon.

Besides that, they don't even lean into the wonder of space travel or anything to depict it. Just "Yeah we need Kelly to be at Mars in a timeline that isn't completely abusive for the child" and that's it, not even an exhaust plume to show for it.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
Goldilocks gets whoopsed into Kelly’s crater. The impact melts ice and exposes a colony of mars bugs that poo poo methane. Kelly scoops up a handful of the bugs, flips up the visor of her suit and shoves them in her mouth. “They’re… they’re delicious.” Mars has liquid water (Goldilocks exposed a volcanic vent) and food that produces enough methane to yeet mined lithium back to earth for refining.

Margo gives the head of roscosmos a (cia-provided) poisoned tootsie roll and takes over the Soviet space program. Y’all keep joking about Ed and his wife becoming immortal cyborgs, but they’re gonna put Margo in a powered wheelchair, and they’re gonna raise up monuments to her for introducing ketchup to the motherland. Next season all the soviets will have a slight Texan accent.

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

mobby_6kl posted:

I think the idea is that anyone who realistically decides to murder the hundred-thousand people on mars would not do so because simply deciding to murder everyone on a planet for lower cost iridium is insane. Plus Dev would probably easily fund anyone who wanted to fly to mars... They showed off Brazil having launch capability to Mars so if the US went "no, gently caress you, suffocate and die" then Brazil would happily launch supplies in exchange for more iridium than anyone knows what to do with.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

fischtick posted:

Goldilocks gets whoopsed into Kelly’s crater. The impact melts ice and exposes a colony of mars bugs that poo poo methane. Kelly scoops up a handful of the bugs, flips up the visor of her suit and shoves them in her mouth. “They’re… they’re delicious.” Mars has liquid water (Goldilocks exposed a volcanic vent) and food that produces enough methane to yeet mined lithium back to earth for refining.

Margo gives the head of roscosmos a (cia-provided) poisoned tootsie roll and takes over the Soviet space program. Y’all keep joking about Ed and his wife becoming immortal cyborgs, but they’re gonna put Margo in a powered wheelchair, and they’re gonna raise up monuments to her for introducing ketchup to the motherland. Next season all the soviets will have a slight Texan accent.

I might like your fanfic better than mine, Margo as god-empress could be more amusing than Pot Bear Emperor.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
First Danny kills robo pup, then he gets nick killed? Rhetorical statement but I really hope he doesn't show up in season 4. Or his brother, who looks like he's about to bomb jsc.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Kingtheninja posted:

First Danny kills robo pup, then he gets nick killed?

Say what you will about Danny but robopup had it coming. gently caress trying to get work done with that thing around

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Mister Bates posted:

Like, for that to work you'd need to treat it less like a single show with one long plot arc and treat it more like an anthology series, five different one-season shows set in the same universe, with some recurring characters but mostly new main casts every season
sounds dope tbh

skooma512 posted:

Like the tech advances are so fast that if the Mars race was delayed a couple years these new ships would be overtaking all 3 ships.
They wouldn't have been able to develop the super-engine though, not without first visiting Mars and collecting its magic Technology Points

RocketRaygun posted:

simply deciding to murder everyone on a planet for lower cost iridium is insane
Would Earth even need to murder anyone?

If the Mars Squad "captures" the asteroid by putting it in Mars orbit, can't anyone just set up another base? Would the Ed/Dev subterfuge squad pick up their ball and go home push Goldilocks into the sun?

mobby_6kl posted:

Overall my impression is this is where the show - or at least Ed and Dev - want to go. Secure an important and powerful position for Mars and themselves on it, either independent or by holding leverage over Earth.
if they're trying to speedrun The Expanse maybe there's some protomolecule in that crater too

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

RocketRaygun posted:

I think the idea is that anyone who realistically decides to murder the hundred-thousand people on mars would not do so because simply deciding to murder everyone on a planet for lower cost iridium is insane. Plus Dev would probably easily fund anyone who wanted to fly to mars... They showed off Brazil having launch capability to Mars so if the US went "no, gently caress you, suffocate and die" then Brazil would happily launch supplies in exchange for more iridium than anyone knows what to do with.
Are there actually a hundred thousand people on Mars? It looks like a thousand max.

I do think the US, USSR and China North Korea would happily murder thousands for life-changing resources, considering, you know, all of history. They probably wouldn't have to actually do it though, because of the implication.

How would Dev just "fund" anything when his poo poo gets seized by the feds? We don't really know anything about Brazil so maybe that's an option but the US and USSR have ways of putting some pressure on 3rd countries to make them play along.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

The real important question is what song they use for the time skip preview.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Senor Tron posted:

Golf. Wang.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Ke$ha's Tik Tok

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
It’ll actually be Bruno Mars

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

I've always thought that the most "early-mid 2010s" song possibly was Icona Pop's I Love It

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Senor Tron posted:

WAP

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Senor Tron posted:

Party Rock.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

mobby_6kl posted:

Are there actually a hundred thousand people on Mars? It looks like a thousand max.

I do think the US, USSR and China North Korea would happily murder thousands for life-changing resources, considering, you know, all of history. They probably wouldn't have to actually do it though, because of the implication.

How would Dev just "fund" anything when his poo poo gets seized by the feds? We don't really know anything about Brazil so maybe that's an option but the US and USSR have ways of putting some pressure on 3rd countries to make them play along.

That's a good point, and makes me think that while the strike plot was still badly handled, the idea of the nations looking at the relative pocket change that it would have taken to meet the union's needs, and instead risking trillions to break the union is incredibly realistic.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Senor Tron posted:

Margo on a plane to Brazil by herself listening to Dancing On My Own (The Robyn original, not the dogshit piano cover by that guy)

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

mobby_6kl posted:

We don't really know anything about Brazil so maybe that's an option but the US and USSR have ways of putting some pressure on 3rd countries to make them play along.

No kidding. There's still suspicions that sabotage caused the Alcântara Launch Center explosion in 2003, possibly from the US. No evidence so far though.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Senor Tron posted:

A long tracking-in shot on a unified Korean flag accompanied by Gangnam Style.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Pen Pineapple Apple Pen

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Sir Kodiak posted:

A long tracking-in shot on a unified Korean flag accompanied by Gangnam Style.

:lmao:

demostars
Apr 8, 2020
It’s 100% going to be Starships by Nicki Minaj

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

mobby_6kl posted:

sorry, i meant hundred to thousand. I can see how my post is confusing since i used the - there instead of 'to'

Ohboyherewegoagain
Sep 22, 2023

demostars posted:

It’s 100% going to be Starships by Nicki Minaj

Not a chance if they didn’t go with The Launch transitioning into the 2000s.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
They tend to go with iconic hits rather than space themed but I don't remember all of them.

Although I struggle to think of an iconic 2010s song, at least in comparison with Radiohead and Nirvana. Gangnam Style is as good as any because at least that of a specific time. Taylor Swift?

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
Something by Ratatat, maybe

Ohboyherewegoagain
Sep 22, 2023
Wrecking Ball as they play clips and clippings of Dev's DISRUPTIONS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

skooma512 posted:

They tend to go with iconic hits rather than space themed but I don't remember all of them.

Although I struggle to think of an iconic 2010s song, at least in comparison with Radiohead and Nirvana. Gangnam Style is as good as any because at least that of a specific time. Taylor Swift?

Call Me Maybe is more iconic than anything Radiohead has ever done.