Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Does it support copilot yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Back to Nova.

Hyperion is close to as good / great in functionality, but something about its performance is really hosed up.

It can lag, and hitch, I think it's even crashing sometimes and reopening. It gets stuck frequently which is beyond annoying.

Hyperion makes it feel like "bad android phone" but literally none of the performance problems with Nova.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

hark posted:

Antennapod gang

I have also joined antenna pod gang given the rest of the talk in the thread and so far so good. Been pretty easy to use and the lack of in-app ads is really nice. It's clean and it just works.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Does it support copilot yet?

Goddammit. You know a Samsung A-Class phone is going to be shipping with Copilot embedded and unable to be disabled sooner than we think, right?

Just let them figure it out on their own instead of giving them the idea!

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

in true samsung fashion they'll have copilot and bixby and google assistant and won't let you uninstall any of them

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

repiv posted:

in true samsung fashion they'll have copilot and bixby and google assistant and won't let you uninstall any of them

When you ask a question, they all start answering at once.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

What's a good app for calls? Google Meet inconsistently reaches my mum's phone and it's driving me off the wall. I tried checking battery conservation options over the holidays to allow everything with regards to Meet but Samsung's battery options are slightly different to what I'm used to. She has a Samsung A54. Signal's and WhatsApp's voice quality are inferior.

edit: I don't believe the problem is not *ringing*. I legit believe it's just not reaching the phone outright. I've gotten a bunch of the "sonar" sounding tone while calling from my phone to hers, sometimes it resolves after a while to have the normal "ringing tone". I haven't tried calling a lot from my PC to make sure it's not related to *my* phone.

Dessel fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jan 11, 2024

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Dessel posted:

What's a good app for calls? Google Meet inconsistently reaches my mum's phone and it's driving me off the wall. I tried checking battery conservation options over the holidays to allow everything with regards to Meet but Samsung's battery options are slightly different to what I'm used to. She has a Samsung A54. Signal's and WhatsApp's voice quality are inferior.

edit: I don't believe the problem is not *ringing*. I legit believe it's just not reaching the phone outright. I've gotten a bunch of the "sonar" sounding tone while calling from my phone to hers, sometimes it resolves after a while to have the normal "ringing tone". I haven't tried calling a lot from my PC to make sure it's not related to *my* phone.

You're not gonna believe this, but your smartphone can make regular phone calls with an app called "Phone".

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
Maybe they're trying to call from a different country

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

I knew that was going to be smartass answer, we both specifically prefer VOIP for voice quality, and I'd rather dodge some phone bills.

Also PC-to-phone calls is another failure point for connection via Bluetooth and windows' phone connectivity app whenever I might want to make the call there.

Also she already has mild hearing loss so clarity matters. She has trouble understanding me on my shittier BT headphones for calls for example (so I do avoid them when possible). It was a bit of a relief realising that was the case and not my enunciation or her hearing.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I'm not sure about VOIP, although Google Voice has been fine for me the infrequent times I've used it. Maybe try Skype or Signal? Or Facebook Messenger if you both have that?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Dessel posted:

Honestly if her phone isn't ringing from a Google product I would worry nothing will ring. Zoom has a free option, see if you can call people with it. I know you can on the paid version - it's on be default and makes this horrific noise and a bunch of other bullshit stuff. Can you text each other and then have her call you on google meet? It's less convenient but if texting is reliable (use Signal) you can make that ding and have her google meet you back. Or zoom. Etc.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
Skype works well for me. It always rings through to the other end and if someone calls me? It rings on all the devices I have Skype on.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Yeah I suggested Skype to her in case, but reinstalling Meet on both ends seem to have done the trick mostly *knocks on wood*. Might have something to do with the Duo/Meet merging, we both started on Duo instead. We actually used to use Skype, I'm not 100% why we moved away from it.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

What's the best list app that works with Google Assistant (i.e. "Add apples to my shopping list", "Add laundry to my to do list")

The absolute psychopaths at Google abandoned their lists platform and integrated with Google Keep

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I add stuff to lists in Google keep with assistant all the time :shrug:

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
I only recently got the "hey your lists are available in keep now!" message after months of "your lists are moving to keep", and yeah, it works fine. google keep rules. that which is dead can never die, or something.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

My curmudgeonly rear end will give Google Keep a try then, TY

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Keep is actually a good Google product. So expect it to go away soon.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Deathlove posted:

that which is dead can never die, or something.

This is Google you're talking about.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Inceltown posted:

Keep is actually a good Google product. So expect it to go away soon.

It can be good and stay for long, but as soon as it is good and gets used by many, it's when Google will kill it

I miss timely (AMDroid is good but I do miss that one)

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Keep rocks. It keeps rocking. I hope they never take it away.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

They haven't even added a chat feature to it yet so it's probably safe for a while yet.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

You can collaborate on a note so you can use it as a chat already :unsmith:

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

A collaborative keep note is my group chat.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Since the OP was last updated 4 years ago, what's a good current music player and podcast app? I'm not adverse to paying 5 bucks one time or whatever if need be. Music I just need it to play local stuff and podcast I similarly don't need anything fancy. For podcasts I've been using the default one but google is shuttering it soon I guess so might as well head that off at the pass. :effort:

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Kitfox88 posted:

Since the OP was last updated 4 years ago, what's a good current music player and podcast app? I'm not adverse to paying 5 bucks one time or whatever if need be. Music I just need it to play local stuff and podcast I similarly don't need anything fancy. For podcasts I've been using the default one but google is shuttering it soon I guess so might as well head that off at the pass. :effort:

For podcasts, AntennaPod.
I can't recommend a music player since I just use a youtube music sub.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

For music, I still use PowerAmp.

I don't do webcasts, so no recommendations there.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Been using PocketCasts for years for podcasts.

I'm using the MediaMonkey beta, mostly because I use MediaMonkey on my PC and they sync. Not super smoothly, need to mess around with settings to set it up, but works for me.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Nitrousoxide posted:

For podcasts, AntennaPod.
I can't recommend a music player since I just use a youtube music sub.

This seems like it'll work! As for music players what's most important is being able to make it sort by like, folder directory rather than the actual tags, if that's possible on android.

Kitfox88 fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jan 29, 2024

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Kitfox88 posted:

This seems like it'll work! As for music players what's most important is being able to make it sort by like, folder directory rather than the actual tags, if that's possible on android.

Looks like it's possible in MediaMonkey.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

PowerAmp/Podcast Addict here.
Used to use PocketCasts but then swapped over to PA for reasons I forget.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Foobar2000 / Podcast Addict. I use Foobar2000 because I really like a little crossfeed, and it was the first Android player I found that had it. Podcast Addict because I bought it when it was cheap and it had the flexibility I wanted to control playback order and downloading.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug
I'll throw a suggestion in for Synfonium it shines at accessing a music server (Plex, Jellyfin, Subsonic), SMB share, or cloud storage with music on it and pulling that locally. It has folder view.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Kitfox88 posted:

I use AIMP and it's capable of doing that. I picked it cause I was looking for the ability to double-tap to seek back or forth a few seconds, and it can do that.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Kitfox88 posted:

PowerAmp and AIMP both can work with folders (I use folders like any old man refusing to use playlists because I copy&paste folders from my PC)

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Does anyone stream audiobooks from Plex to their phone? I was using Chronicle which would allow me to stream or download directly from Plex, but it's been acting wonky and reading reviews of the app it looks like it was abandoned, so wondering if there are alternatives

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
If you're running your own plex server then I'd just throw up an audiobookshelf container

https://github.com/advplyr/audiobookshelf

There is an android app and it works well enough (caveat, I don't listen to a ton of audio books but for the little bit I used it it seemed fine. So maybe there are issues I'm not aware of. But I assume it does audiobook better than plex anyway)

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Dabir posted:

I use AIMP and it's capable of doing that. I picked it cause I was looking for the ability to double-tap to seek back or forth a few seconds, and it can do that.

This seems to fit the bill, thanks :thumbsup:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loose-fish
Apr 1, 2005
Any suggestions for a child friendly audio player for local files? This looks basically like what I image but it doesn't work with newer Android versions :/