Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
I'm also anti-damage numbers.

But my major UI pet peeve is excessive button prompts. In the menu or inventory it's fine (e.g. Q/E to flip pages etc.), but in-game I hate it. Like when you approach a container and it's like "Press E to open" - it's completely unnecessary. Some kind of indication that an item is interactable is necessary in many modern games simply because the environments are so much more detailed than they used to be. So you need to differentiate between random clutter and useful items, I get that. But just a subtle highlight should be enough for that really.

Was really glad recently that Dishonored 2 had so many UI options. Most of them were useful and not too obtrusive and I kept them on but objective markers and button prompts were nixed ASAP.

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jan 10, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

damage numbers make sense in turnbased RPGs but for the most part i dont like them in action RPGs. and they just straight up should not be in FPS's at all.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Sway Grunt posted:

I'm also anti-damage numbers.

But my major UI pet peeve is excessive button prompts. In the menu or inventory it's fine (e.g. Q/E to flip pages etc.), but in-game I hate it. Like when you approach a container and it's like "Press E to open" - it's completely unnecessary. Some kind of indication that an item is interactable is neccesary in many modern games simply because the environments are so much more detailed than they used to be. So you need to differentiate between random clutter and useful items, I get that. But just a subtle highlight should be enough for that really.

Was really glad recently that Dishonored 2 had so many UI options. Most of them were useful and not too obtrusive and I kept them on but objective markers and button prompts were nixed ASAP.

The way some people play, having giant "PRESS THIS BUTTON TO DO THING" on screen at all times is absolutely necessary. Developers of the new God of War even had a GDC talk about that exact thing, showing how they used DarkSydePhil footage as reference when designing GoW Ragnarok, to make sure that no idiot is left behind.

So, I do understand why that poo poo is there, but I agree with you that those games absolutely need a way for you to turn the handholding poo poo off.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
They're basically a lazy way to get around having proper hit feedback indication. You need to be able to tell if you're doing damage and numbers let you do that without coming up with extra animations or interface features.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Damage numbers should be represented as an equivalent number of blood particles. Even when damage numbers are in the thousands. No cap.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Hwurmp posted:

this is hilarious because Yiik straight up plagiarizes Murakami

and this is really loving hilarious not just in the face of the Allansons' reaction to Yiik being panned, but because Alex Yiik literally is the center of the game's multiverse, the most important person to ever exist, and a lot of the female characters are multiverse copies of the girl he is meant to get
While the obvious plagiarism and accidentally walking into a bad trope on purpose are the main draws here, it's equally amazing how shallow this guy's narrative breadth is, that he believes "(the Hail Mary almost) every story since the 1980s" does this.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

For years I’ve been arguing that damage numbers (and really any number honestly) should never exceed three digits. During that time I’ve determined that, sadly, loads of people loving love damage numbers, especially long ones.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Jack Trades posted:

The way some people play, having giant "PRESS THIS BUTTON TO DO THING" on screen at all times is absolutely necessary. Developers of the new God of War even had a GDC talk about that exact thing, showing how they used DarkSydePhil footage as reference when designing GoW Ragnarok, to make sure that no idiot is left behind.

So, I do understand why that poo poo is there, but I agree with you that those games absolutely need a way for you to turn the handholding poo poo off.

There's also edge case stuff like if you're dynamically swapping between input methods.

Honestly button prompts only annoy me if they're really egregious, like the wide span of Call of Duty games that blast you in the face with PRESS <X> TO RELOAD for basically the entire game's duration.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Jack Trades posted:

Anyone familiar with YouTubers and games industry types knows they ignore onscreen prompts anyway, though.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

To everything a proper time and place. Doing so much damage in Diablo 3 that they need to start using scientific notation, for instance, is good. Watching 3 different numbers pop out of a guy that Captain Boomerang shoots with a gun even though his name is freakin Captain BOOMERANG why is he even using a gun, is not.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Makes sense. They don't mention it in the post but it's worth noting that automated detection for this stuff still really sucks -- there was never a way to consistently enforce their old policy, and any system for doing so was bound to throw out false positives.

Can't imagine having to deal with this as like, a highschool teacher lol. It's pretty easy to spot ChatGPT content when you know the signs but not being able to definitively prove it either way would drive me nuts.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

Jack Trades posted:

The sad thing for me is that I've noticed that I've become so accustomed/conditioned to that stuff that when I finally am given the option to turn it off, and use it, I actually feel a little lost for a bit. Like I walk up to something and find myself wondering "wait, can I interact with this or not...? what do I do :ohdear:" It's just so prevalent that it's always a bit of an adjustment.

Reminds me of when I played Dusk last year and instinctively kept hitting R to reload for like the first hour before I finally internalized that this is not that kind of game.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

For now I can usually tell which parts of my students' essays were coaxed out with ChatGPT because ChatGPT generally has way better grammar and syntax than my students.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Jack Trades posted:

i can't remember the exact science they described but it was basically pavlov's gamer. every time the gamer sees a scenic vista they know that a new power-up is around the corner. the game is designed to do this every few hours to condition them into enjoying the game. lol.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Damage numbers, when used, should be a single increasing static number like in the Souls games and not a shower of meaningless tiny numbers. They might as well be balloons coming out and when you crit, a larger yellow balloon comes out

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Tiny Timbs posted:

Anyone familiar with YouTubers and games industry types knows they ignore onscreen prompts anyway, though.

Maybe if the onscreen prompt had a dono announcement to go along with it they'll pay more attention

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Volte posted:

Damage numbers, when used, should be a single increasing static number like in the Souls games and not a shower of meaningless tiny numbers. They might as well be balloons coming out and when you crit, a larger yellow balloon comes out

Little tiny numbers can also rule, like for example when you bop a bad guy with an Open Hand Monk in BG3 and the game rolls like 6 different 1d4s on their corpse.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Anno posted:

For years I’ve been arguing that damage numbers (and really any number honestly) should never exceed three digits. During that time I’ve determined that, sadly, loads of people loving love damage numbers, especially long ones.

Theres an entire srpg franchise that I'm pretty sure people only play because the damage numbers can go into the billions.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9f9V5p8ZyM

(the numbers are fun but they are quite good games as well)

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Leal posted:

Maybe if the onscreen prompt had a dono announcement to go along with it they'll pay more attention

"Thanks for the resub, PressFToPayRespects"

Anno
May 10, 2017

Ineffiable posted:

Theres an entire srpg franchise that I'm pretty sure people only play because the damage numbers can go into the billions.

Yeah but the jRPG/sRPGs that are actually good (Tactics Ogre, FFT, kinda FE) don’t, which is one of the reasons they’re good.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

fft damage numbers might as well go into the billions, its not like you can calculate the damage stuff will do on your own in that game anyway

Anno
May 10, 2017

Yeah expected damage in FFT is weird. I’m kinda just shitposting obv but Tactics Ogre is the GOAT in part because of how incredibly satisfying the power growth curve is. Meanwhile in Disgaea it all just sort of washes over you because things are so ridiculous.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Kennel posted:

I repeat myself

ymgve posted:

Damage numbers should be represented as an equivalent number of blood particles. Even when damage numbers are in the quadrillions. No cap.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

I know it's really easy to complain about Steam tags being garbage, but ugh how...

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Sininu posted:

I know it's really easy to complain about Steam tags being garbage, but ugh how...

Popular, anime, close enough

e: not my screenshot I already own Okami

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Bad Seafood posted:

While the obvious plagiarism and accidentally walking into a bad trope on purpose are the main draws here, it's equally amazing how shallow this guy's narrative breadth is, that he believes "(the Hail Mary almost) every story since the 1980s" does this.

Every story ever made has been a Hero's Journey, i.e. a story about a plucky farmboy who is taken away from his desert homeworld to do space battles, learn the ways of the Force, and kiss his sister

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Kennel posted:

Disgaea is like, peak Numbers Go Up game

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

StrixNebulosa posted:

Popular, anime, close enough

e: not my screenshot I already own Okami

they thought it said Affenpinscher's Creed and Mastiff Effect

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Holy poo poo Valve finally did it! They made the full screen video player UI hide after few seconds :o
Only took them like 15 years. Though why aren't they just upgrading the store video player to the one they've used for broadcasts since their inception is still a mystery.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

goferchan posted:

Makes sense. They don't mention it in the post but it's worth noting that automated detection for this stuff still really sucks -- there was never a way to consistently enforce their old policy, and any system for doing so was bound to throw out false positives.

Can't imagine having to deal with this as like, a highschool teacher lol. It's pretty easy to spot ChatGPT content when you know the signs but not being able to definitively prove it either way would drive me nuts.

And it's impossible to spot it when someone uses it as a tool in the proper way you use tools. Art-wise everyone is already looking at a ton of AI stuff and they have no idea because professionals can and do use it as it should be used. This stuff is built into Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop and has been for a while now. It's like CGI in movies, the good stuff you don't notice.

ALSO numbers and even life bars over enemies in most games I loathe. I turn off and mod that stuff immediately, UI poison imho.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Leal posted:

I wonder how much donation money goes towards pieces of poo poo playing video games each day instead of somewhere it could be put to good usefor humanity as a whole.

Oh well

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I mean it's not charity it's technically just paying for entertainment. (Even if it's scare quotes "entertainment")

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

capcom appears to be going through their back catalogue and patching in a new anti-tamper system designed to prevent modding (obviously not piracy because most of those games are already cracked)

they did a presentation recently where they talked about mods being a brand risk so i guess this is them cracking down

rude

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Even outside of that gimmick fight I like having numbers in CrossCode.

Seeing big chunky numbers when you do thr t3 melee cold attack feels very good.

mystes
May 31, 2006

repiv posted:

capcom appears to be going through their back catalogue and patching in a new anti-tamper system designed to prevent modding (obviously not piracy because most of those games are already cracked)

they did a presentation recently where they talked about mods being a brand risk so i guess this is them cracking down

rude
that's really obnoxious

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

in conclusion: damage numbers is a land of contrasts

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

mystes posted:

that's really obnoxious

ironically in the short term it will probably push people to download cracked versions since those are the older builds without this new protection

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

repiv posted:

rude

Are these the guys that are making Dragon's Dogma 2 because that's the only one of these Japonesey games I care about

(I'm joking I played and loved Yakuza 0)