Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Tony quidprano posted:

the narrative of a group of plucky underdogs succeeding against the odds against a group of entitled assholes who get what they deserve. That's just terrible TV.

The Aitu Four are dull as poo poo, the bottle twist sucks because it prevents the players from playing the game, the God Idol is stupid and ruins the suspense of the season every time they use it, and the plucky underdog story was done better on Marquesas, Vanuatu, Tocantins, and even Samoa.

Also the final 3 instead of 2 has been a huge detriment to the show and was done first in Cook Islands.

Penner's pretty funny though.

mp5 fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jan 10, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

njsykora posted:

Rob Has A Podcast did a top 40 ranking a few years ago.
https://robhasawebsite.com/rankings/

Without clicking, Worlds Apart should be higher

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

njsykora posted:

Caramoan and Game Changers above Nicaragua is wild

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

mp5 posted:

Eh? Caramoan wasn't great and Game Changers was passable, but Nicaragua was downright bad.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

njsykora posted:

perfect, thanks

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

mp5 posted:

The Aitu Four are dull as poo poo, the bottle twist sucks because it prevents the players from playing the game, the God Idol is stupid and ruins the suspense of the season every time they use it, and the plucky underdog story was done better on Marquesas, Vanuatu, Tocantins, and even Samoa.

Also the final 3 instead of 2 has been a huge detriment to the show and was done first in Cook Islands.

Penner's pretty funny though.
I think the Tyler Perry idol is a bad idea and the evolution to the current hidden immunity idol was a great thing, but I mean, you can diffuse it the same way as any other idol: split vote with the majority on the idol holder, forcing them to play it, and then take them out the next round. Basically while it's not good and I don't like it either, I think its reputation has gotten pretty overblown.

Don't get me wrong, it adds nothing, and it loses the ability to Bruce someone and flush the idol and player in one vote, which is really fun when it happens. It's just hardly game breaking since the blueprint of flush idol one vote, take player out the next vote is pretty well worn these days.

mp5 posted:

Nicaragua was widely disliked when it came out and is seen as part of the "Dark Age" of Survivor. Personally I was a little surprised how high both BvW seasons are but then again I did like them. Thailand being above Redemption Island is really stupid. Thailand is BAD.

I'm surprised how badly ranked HHH is too but the winner does drag it down a lot.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jan 10, 2024

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

the Tyler perry idol didn't ruin Cagayan though

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Cook Islands is fine on a first blind watch. It loses a lot of its impact on rewatches, because the pre-merge drags and the post-merge is predictable and dull.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Fast Luck posted:

Nicaragua was widely disliked when it came out and is seen as part of the "Dark Age" of Survivor.

I'm well aware Nicaragua is where the Dark Age started, and I do feel like S21 is as much of a "trainwreck" as people (not me) say Gabon is.

BUT, here are some things that are good about S21, which easily outshine Caramoan and Game Changers:
-Both tribes are wildly dysfunctional in their own ways. For a little while there it feels like if both tribes were Casaya from S12
-The double quit is interesting in terms of what it does for Holly's character arc, what it says about the conditions those players were living in, and the cruelties of production. It's a really good episode of the show.
-The cast is way better! Brenda was a great villain before she was on Caramoan and made Dawn relive her trauma for no reason. Even the way people interact with Jimmy Johnson drives the early game forward and sets things up that are paid off later
-On a rewatch, it's kinda fun to see all the ways the editors specifically go out of their way to bury Purple Kelly, hide her behind things, put her out of frame or with her back turned, and not give her confessionals. She was, by all accounts, very well-liked and in the power alliance up until she quit.
-The way the final voting shook down was somewhat competitive, even if the edit made it pretty clear by the end who was actually winning

What does Game Changers have?
-Cirie gets booted by default without actually being anyone's target in the endgame because she didn't spend the first week combing the jungle for power-ups
-The cast sucks except for Cirie and Sandra. Who wanted to see Jeff Varner a third time even before the Zeke thing? JT had one good season because he had Stephen and has been a wet noodle every time since
-The final three is lame and the winner wins in a decisive majority almost as boring as all the New Era votes

All I ought to say about Caramoan is it somehow has an all-time bad cast, a terrible theme, and a winner almost as boring and suspenseless as Boston Rob.

I'm not saying Nicaragua is some top 10 bucket list season, but it definitely deserves better than where democracy put it on this list. Certainly above 26 and 34.

Fast Luck posted:

It's just hardly game breaking since the blueprint of flush idol one vote, take player out the next vote is pretty well worn these days.

If that was actually true--with the Super Idol, specifically--it would have happened by now, and it hasn't. The Super Idol has never even had to be played by its holder, the threat is enough to completely discourage people. So, all it actually does is completely kill the tension about the fate of the person holding it.

mp5 fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jan 11, 2024

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

It hasn't happened because there is almost never a super idol in the game anymore. If they kept putting it into the game, people would flush it. How many times has it been in the game since Yul? Just Cagayan or am I forgetting others? (and ofc the other players didn't even know Tony had an idol that worked that way since he didn't tell them)

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

ApplesandOranges posted:

Cook Islands is fine on a first blind watch. It loses a lot of its impact on rewatches, because the pre-merge drags and the post-merge is predictable and dull.

I don't know, I always get a kick out of seeing Candace from Raro tribe having to go to RI week after week after her mutiny. Never understood why she was put on the Heroes tribe in HvV until I later learned that she actually was on the Villains tribe, and Parvati was actually on the Heroes tribe, until they decided there were too many people from Micronesia on one tribe, so they swapped them out, which explained why Parvati had a blue bathing suit, and Candace had a red bathing suit. I still don't understand Candace was called back a 3rd time.

mp5 posted:

I'm well aware Nicaragua is where the Dark Age started, and I do feel like S21 is as much of a "trainwreck" as people say Gabon is.

That's not a good thing. I suppose some people must like trainwreck seasons like Gabon and Nicaragua in the same way that they get a kick out of watching terrible movies, but I'm not one of them. Watching a season full of miserable terrible people "dominate" but also flounder at the game isn't super fun to me.

mp5 posted:

What does Game Changers have?

You're right, it's not a great season. I still don't understand how Halli (who I always forget exists) and Sierra were considered on theme. Bizarre casting choices. I did read an interesting trivia bit though that all men on the jury in this season are openly queer.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Gabon was the first American season I saw and I will defend it to the death.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Fast Luck posted:

It hasn't happened because there is almost never a super idol in the game anymore.

There is almost never a super idol in the game anymore because they know it's broken

(which means I fully expect Probst will bring it back whenever they do the New Era Returnee Season)

Fast Luck posted:

It hasn't happened because there is almost never a super idol in the game anymore. If they kept putting it into the game, people would flush it. How many times has it been in the game since Yul? Just Cagayan or am I forgetting others? (and ofc the other players didn't even know Tony had an idol that worked that way since he didn't tell them)

The Super Idol was in Panama (Terry), Cook Islands (Yul), Cagayan (Tony), Kaoh Rong (Tai, eventually), and HHH (Ryan, expired after first tribal, season rigged). All of the holders went very deep in their games.

Fast Luck posted:

(and ofc the other players didn't even know Tony had an idol that worked that way since he didn't tell them)

Again, a key point is that we the audience know it's there even if the players don't, so we know the holder is never going anywhere and thus have no reason to worry about them

Nihonniboku posted:

That's not a good thing.

Read the rest of what I said immediately after that! It's only a "trainwreck" in the sense that the tribes are dysfunctional, but even that is entertaining. I myself also wouldn't call Gabon a trainwreck; it's got weak FTC performances but at the end it's a fairly straightforward season, someone says "The good guys should win in the end" and they do

mp5 fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jan 10, 2024

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Watching older seasons, I miss the vocals in the background of the music. Sometimes it completely overshadows Jeff. Nothing cracks me up like something mildly shocking occurring followed by some dude going HUWAAHHH

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
survivors ready

HUWAAAUUUEEE HEYYYAAA HEY HEYYOOOO WAAAAA

go!

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

~you better be ready it's coming for you~

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

ApplesandOranges posted:

I enjoyed it even if it was a bit predictable. It’s just nice seeing people actually stick around together. And the final three vote was just adorable.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

i've got the Cook Islands lined up next

anyone know why they stopped giving away cars like candy?

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

CODChimera posted:

honest answer, money and tax headache probably

joke answer, car curse

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

CODChimera posted:

yau-man and dreamz ruined it

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

mp5 posted:

joke answer, car curse

STONE COLD 64 posted:

yau-man and dreamz ruined it

it's both tbqh. p. sure yau man and dreamz broke the camel's back, but also sponsors didn't want their prize to be associated with "losing survivor" lmao.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Also, the show went from 'cultural phenomena' to 'huh, that's still on?'

Honestly, managing to hang around long enough for people that were literal children when it first aired to now start competing is impressive as gently caress.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

CODChimera posted:

GM stopped giving them cars. Everyone involved publicly insists that it has nothing to do with the race wars.

quote:

GENERAL MOTORS, which has accounted for roughly one-fifth of the advertising revenue on the CBS reality show “Survivor” this year, has decided not to advertise on the show’s coming season, one that has attracted criticism because the makeup of the competing teams will be based on race.

Both General Motors and CBS said yesterday that G.M.’s decision to stop advertising on “Survivor” was made three months ago and was unrelated to the show’s race-based format.

Several other advertisers from previous seasons of “Survivor” also said they would not return for the next season, and said their decision was also unrelated to the new format. Among them are the Coca-Cola, Home Depot, United Parcel Service and Campbell Soup.

“It is my understanding that we did not know what the new format was when the decision was made,” Ryndee Carney, a manager of advertising and marketing communications for General Motors, said in an interview yesterday.
Chris Ender, a spokesman for CBS, said yesterday that G.M. told the network of the decision “several months ago.”

“They had no knowledge of the planned format, so the decision was not related to the controversy surrounding the upcoming edition,” he said.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

I have definitely been watching these seasons in the wrong order. Grabbed a few recommended upthread, and each one has been a step down in interest.

So far it’s been Brazil, panama, then Cook Islands, and now china. The only shocking thing in China was Todd’s hair at the reunion. And watching Denise always make the most passive choice available instead of doing anything.

Demon_Corsair fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jan 12, 2024

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Demon_Corsair posted:

So far it’s been panama, then Cook Islands, and now china. The only shocking thing in China was Todd’s hair at the reunion. And watching Denise always make the most passive choice available instead of doing anything.

Interesting, China is generally considered pretty favorable amongst fans. The winner played a dominant game, you have some very memorable characters who return multiple times (Courtney, James, Peigh Gee, Amanda), and then there's just the pure comedy with Genre Bear. I think it was also maybe the first season with hidden immunity idols at camp, and the way they were played was very entertaining.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Do you want reality TV garbage? World's Apart 👀

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Rodney had to wash freakin' dishes on his freakin' birthday tho...

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Demon_Corsair posted:

I have definitely been watching these seasons in the wrong order. Grabbed a few recommended upthread, and each one has been a step down in interest.

So far it’s been panama, then Cook Islands, and now china. The only shocking thing in China was Todd’s hair at the reunion. And watching Denise always make the most passive choice available instead of doing anything.

You've seen enough people who return for Micronesia that that one could be a lot of fun!

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Nihonniboku posted:

Interesting, China is generally considered pretty favorable amongst fans. The winner played a dominant game, you have some very memorable characters who return multiple times (Courtney, James, Peigh Gee, Amanda), and then there's just the pure comedy with Genre Bear. I think it was also maybe the first season with hidden immunity idols at camp, and the way they were played was very entertaining.

I think the winner was a bit too dominant, and pretty much ran the entire game. Amanda’s kept saying he was getting paranoid and erratic with his picks and then just … did nothing.

At this point I think I have seen more people go home holding their hidden immunity idol then actually use it. loving lol Bruce as a recent example.

Although, in China I thought they were hinting that the idol was taken out of his bag and swapped with the fake idol when people were snooping around, that episode was tense.

What are the rules around people’s stuff? Seems like you would want to be having a peek once in a while just to make sure they don’t have an idol. Especially with the comically huge idols in China.

Edit: since it’s cold enough that being outside hurts to breathe, time to start David vs Goliath.

Demon_Corsair fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jan 12, 2024

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

smh at not even mentioning Courtney Yates Queen Of Sass And Also Barrel-Sitting

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Demon_Corsair posted:

What are the rules around people’s stuff? Seems like you would want to be having a peek once in a while just to make sure they don’t have an idol. Especially with the comically huge idols in China.

That's allowed. Jamie went through James' stuff to see if he had an idol! You just can't steal stuff.

quote:

Edit: since it’s cold enough that being outside hurts to breathe, time to start David vs Goliath.
I really would recommend Micronesia next. Cook Island -> China -> Micronesia is a pretty neat story arc.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

They should let people steal stuff, gently caress it, I want an immunity idol stolen and used.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Invalid Validation posted:

They should let people steal stuff, gently caress it, I want an immunity idol stolen and used.

https://twitter.com/FrancisSadac/status/1621369035719077888

"You can feel it in my rear end when the time is right."

"I wanna feel it."

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

drat, David vs Goliath gets a little ridiculous with the idols and advantages. 2 idols one challenge, then 2 advantages and an idol the next. It’s a bit much.

Yes, I’m complaining about boring by the numbers votes and over the top drama simultaneously.

One thing I’m noticing is that your starting tribe coming into the merge generally determines how well you do. Cook islands being the big outlier there.

Is there a way to break up the dynamic of my premerge tribe has numbers so we just pick you off? Is there a reason they don’t all start as one tribe?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I just had to see 5 for myself, although you were all very very right. Definitely hope there aren't any seasons worse than this one, definitely not that I've seen and at this point I'm down to like 2-4 unwatched seasons. There have been plenty of times where I have disliked the last two or three people but I can't ever recall disliking so many people so early, or ever being unable to sit through the confessions of so many people. The good news is it made it a fast watch because I was skipping bigger and bigger chunks of the episodes after 9.

I don't know if it would have been possible to handle the sexual assault any worse. They definitely and literally set up the victim blaming episodes before hand as story telling, just absolutely disgusting. And the other awful people responding to it about as awfully as possible. loving terrible.

Few bright moments were that I liked Jake and Shii-An, Robb slowly becoming a human being, some cool rewards, and that a monkey trolled the hell out of these people. Also you can't loving fool me: "Erin" is just Sarah from the last season; they flew her out and gave her a haircut, but that's loving Sarah.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Rick posted:

Few bright moments were that I liked Jake and Shii-An, Robb slowly becoming a human being, some cool rewards, and that a monkey trolled the hell out of these people. Also you can't loving fool me: "Erin" is just Sarah from the last season; they flew her out and gave her a haircut, but that's loving Sarah.

Robb's arc is really great, including everything around THE ATTACK ZONE

Demon_Corsair posted:

One thing I’m noticing is that your starting tribe coming into the merge generally determines how well you do. Cook islands being the big outlier there.

"Pagonging" is a Survivor slang term for a reason, yeah.

Demon_Corsair posted:

Is there a reason they don’t all start as one tribe?

Because we'd get the exact same result, except starting from the very first vote instead of the merge. A majority power alliance would form and promptly vote out the challenge beasts (like what happens normally right after the merge), and anyone else not in the group. It would be incredibly boring television.

They tried a half-rear end version of this in One World and it's one of the worst, most boring seasons.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Rick posted:

I just had to see 5 for myself, although you were all very very right. Definitely hope there aren't any seasons worse than this one,
oh buddy

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Demon_Corsair posted:

Is there a reason they don’t all start as one tribe?
in big brother typically the entire cast starts as one pool of players where anyone is eligible to be voted as if they were in one survivor tribe. what typically happens, if there isnt producer interference, one big alliance typically forms in the first week and just runs the game out with very little in their way. i imagine the same would occur in a one tribe survivor.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Demon_Corsair posted:

Is there a way to break up the dynamic of my premerge tribe has numbers so we just pick you off? Is there a reason they don’t all start as one tribe?

New Era tries and lmao it does not always work.

Generally there's two ways for pagongings to stop:

1) The majority alliance fractures in some way, and is unable to regroup

2) There's some game mechanic that gives the minority alliance a chance to catchup.

The first route is by far the more interesting route, but a successful pagonging can also be interesting, esp if it was a plurality that ran the game rather than majority.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

the first one requires a cast of players willing to Go For It in making those moves but we unfortunately get a lot of people who are Happy To Be There and take their 5th/6th in the group positions without complaint