Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:
Get the gun that shoots bees from Half Life 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Why are all the anti-xeno guns just regular guns with a blue “+25 percent damage to aliens” trait? I want a big fuckoff cannon that’s complete overkill for humans that’s designed to turn terrormorphs into chunky salsa.

E:like, they have railguns. Have a railgun that shoots 25mm MI rounds that has a huge reload time and does insane damage with a boost to xenos, like a sci fi elephant rifle.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The thing is you have melee options but you don't have the cyberpunk style mobility/armour options to make them remotely viable as a serious playstyle.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

space uncle posted:

Starfield 2 will be set in the year 2875, described as Elon-punk
This is just The Outer Worlds with the caveat that every item has the chance to explode or catch fire without notice.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Alchenar posted:

The thing is you have melee options but you don't have the cyberpunk style mobility/armour options to make them remotely viable as a serious playstyle.

The :effort: skill system also means they get outclassed by basically anything else as you level, because your guns will be stacking shotgun+ballistic+semi auto skill bonuses while your sword just gets “melee”.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

On the one hand, sure, projectile weapons are always going to be lower tech and easier to make than energy weapons

On the other hand, in a world where the vast majority of things in general happen in pressurized environments in inhospitable environments it's a little weird, and it's also kind of funny that of the three "space raider" factions, only one of them is predisposed to using energy weapons, and it's the one that's explicitly about "exterminating everyone" vs. the two that seem to be more interested in moving in and taking over said stations that, presumably, they'd prefer to not have bullet holes in all the external bulkheads

I think there's exactly one situation I came across where explosive depressurization was A Thing, and that was specifically a random PoI where spacers were trying to explicitly destroy a bridge/hallway in a space station, and at no other point does it come up-- there's more frequent instances of the gravity loving up than depressurization in a world where 2/3rds of the bad guys use machine guns and half the galaxy is populated by literal space cowboys with literal revolvers and shotguns

e: Fallout 4 literally brings up the idea of "hey be careful with using a gun in an environment where shooting guns is probably a bad idea" more frequently than I think I ever heard in Starfield (aka, once) with a random Brotherhood of Steel member shooting guns inside the giant blimp

This is why it being called NASApunk by some people doesn't sound true to me. It has some ship interiors that look vaguely similar to what could possibly exist in a plausible real-world space travel environment, but everything else outside of some of the space-suits just resembles generic sci-fi crap, and it makes no use of the actual environments, hazards, or plausible complications in-space, on-the-ground, or political that could arise.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Flowing Thot posted:

Get the gun that shoots bees from Half Life 1.

Actually do the bugs that run away from the enemy and clip through a wall

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

I take it there's been no word from Bethesda on when we might see some real updates in the new year?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Snuffman posted:

I take it there's been no word from Bethesda on when we might see some real updates in the new year?

They pledged to update every six weeks. Beyond that, who knows.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Cyrano4747 posted:

I watched that video a while ago (it got posted in TFR's video game thread, lol) and while I'm all for laughing at pump action shotguns that have the action backwards or morons seeing that HK's caseless ammo was square shaped and making square shaped barrels for all their caseless guns, at the end of the day it doesn't matter from a pure gaming perspective. FO4's guns are also idiotic from a gun nerd standpoint (and the same guy has a video about that too), but meh who cares? Yeah, I can talk all day about how silly the FO4 assault rifle is and how silly it is that the base model bolt action rifle is a cut down pistol thing, but whatever it's more or less a fantasy game. Might as well be a sword nerd going all well actually about how unrealistic the design of the Daedric two-handed sword in in Skyrim.

What matters is the gameplay aspect, and the gameplay aspect for the Starfield guns are mediocre while having a few glaring problems that drag them below FO4.

Eh the whole it doesn't matter it is a game stuff is a cop out, particularly when the final result was so poor all around. In any event it symbolizes their complete disinterest in designing interesting, fun guns and the lack of passion that went into designing the fps part of the game as a whole. 'Meh who cares' was the guiding design philosophy of the fps part of starfield as far as anyone can tell.

Anyways you also keep posting like there's only two poles of design: full fantasy or going full tarkov and that's just absurd. it's 2024, you can want decent guns and gunplay in a game that bills itself as an fps. Hell even tarkov just updated themselves this wipe to a much more arcadey and fun gun system lol. Even if you're going to have full fantasy guns, you can still design them in a way that there are consistent themes among them and their ammunitions such that you can intuit information about how they will work relative to the others. starfield just lacks any consistency or reason to the weapons, it's bizarre. it's like they procgen'd the weapons, too

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jan 10, 2024

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I cannot emphasise enough how much I hate the Fallout/Starfield weapon crafting model as well. If you want a scope you have to be a weapon mastersmith, which you might as well prioritise because there are mods that will add more damage than just being really good at rifles. And there are magic enchantments, you just can't apply them yourself and have to hope they drop.

Cf; Skyrim, where everything is super consistent: you want to craft a sword? The recipe is the same all the way up the chain. You want to put an enchantment on it, go ahead, it's super consistent and the only gatekeeping behind skill is power.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Ironslave posted:

This is why it being called NASApunk by some people doesn't sound true to me.

It wasn't a thing coined by internet nerds and critics, it was what the Starfield devs themselves described the aesthetic as

Which, yeah, the whole rest of your criticism that I didn't quote holds. It's just all the more damning because that was their guiding design ethos, not a random appellation applied to it by outsiders.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Like I said before, it's punk as gently caress, in the sense of punk being poorly executed art.

The NASA part, well, whatever.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

infernal machines posted:

Like I said before, it's punk as gently caress, in the sense of punk being poorly executed art.

I mean punk is also meant to be loud and abrasive. Starfield would better be described as meek and docile I guess?

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

The punk music and the Pirate bar are kinda cool IMO. I enjoyed hanging out there and doing little quests for the pirates. Drinking some grog, popping aurora, and watching ships fly by out the big windows.

Too bad there’s like 15 total minutes of content in that bar throughout the entire pirate quest line.

Even just dumb poo poo mini games like Pazaak, Gwent, darts, or pool would go a long way to making habitated spaces in this game feel a lot better. Everyone always pictures the Star Wars scene where Chewie and R2 are playing space chess in the Millenium Falcon. Why didn’t Bethesda include anything remotely like this to make your ship seem lived in?

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
The ship you get from beating the game has loving nothing in it lol

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
It's a meditation on the game

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I like how when you go land on a planet after getting it the cops who scan you for contraband are all "uh, what are we even looking at, our scanners can't make sense of that bizarro future tech." Which is a nice little touch!

. . . and then no one ever mentions it again, because of course landing a loving future tech UFO on the capital of the not-Federation isn't worth anyone paying attention to or investigating or so much as sending a low level bureaucrat over to ask you what the gently caress and where you got that.

Not to mention that when you go visit Constellation if you choose to go through the main quest line again the very same people who poo poo themselves with a mixture of awe, wonder, and fear when you encounter Starborn ships . . . get on your alien super-tech ship without much of a comment and just kinda roll with it.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

moist turtleneck posted:

The ship you get from beating the game has loving nothing in it lol

It was also noticeably worse than the ship I had just beaten the game in

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Inspector Hound posted:

It was also noticeably worse than the ship I had just beaten the game in

That's the other thing they hosed the pooch with on NG+. A huge component of all the previous Beth titles has been customizing your environment, and that's here (albeit in shittier fashion when it comes to bases and homes). You make your player house, you set up your trophy cabinets, and here in Starfield you also build and customize the ship of your dreams. Which is actually a really great hook for this kind of game. Your own, personal, fully customized hero ship. Your own Millennium Falcon built to the specs that are important to you, be they gameplay or aesthetic. And huge parts of the game at least nod in that direction.

But then NG+ has you toss all that in the dumpster and start over.

Oh and there's not even a good way to save ship templates. Like if I could save the build layout of my old ship and, once I've got the money, just click "apply all" to get it back that would be something else. But nope. Enjoy fiddle loving with getting those modules to click into place for a few hours again!

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Cyrano4747 posted:

That's the other thing they hosed the pooch with on NG+. A huge component of all the previous Beth titles has been customizing your environment, and that's here (albeit in shittier fashion when it comes to bases and homes). You make your player house, you set up your trophy cabinets, and here in Starfield you also build and customize the ship of your dreams. Which is actually a really great hook for this kind of game. Your own, personal, fully customized hero ship. Your own Millennium Falcon built to the specs that are important to you, be they gameplay or aesthetic. And huge parts of the game at least nod in that direction.

Oh and there's not even a good way to save ship templates. Like if I could save the build layout of my old ship and, once I've got the money, just click "apply all" to get it back that would be something else. But nope. Enjoy fiddle loving with getting those modules to click into place for a few hours again!

I feel like they tried to use that as an appeal to the “don’t go through the Unity”. You get to stay and enjoy your baseball collection and your ship and your turd farming base on Mars. If you go then you lose it all - even your wife/husband.

But every single person you meet tells you “holy poo poo go through the unity it will be awesome!” Including yourself. It’s the project you’ve been working towards all game. Your wife/husband is just like “hey good luck out there hope to see you again in the invite multiverse xoxo bye”. Not walking through it is a total cowardly wet fart ending, when it should be more climactic.

So now you have the worst of both worlds - you have to make a meaningful choice that feels bad, feels railroaded, makes you lose time/effort, and then you get into a new universe where everything is basically the same and nothing mattered and you can do all that bullshit again if you want. Collect all the baseballs a second time. gently caress Sam again. Nothing will change. It will try to make you go through the Unity again.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
My approach from the jump was that I'd go through the unity enough times to do the content that you can only do when you go through-- level up the space dragon shouts, level up the mystical space armor, level up the ship, see the weird variant universes where sarah morgan is a plant, do the quests to "load up" the possibility of [Starborn] options, and then, once all of those save file flags were loaded up, I'd "settle down" in a universe with outposts and long-standing character relationships

and then the mystical space armor was "okay", the ship was poo poo no matter what level it was, the variant universes were "the same" except for whatever happened in the lodge itself, the quests only had [Starborn] options as alternatives to [Persuade], and the outposts were only useful insofar as "finding a planet that had something with adhesive on it, and setting up a small greenhouse for it"

and then the instant I went through Unity 10 I was like "welp I'm done with this game" and that was that

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

There's something really weird about Starfield. Bethesda open worlds succeed not by being good per se but by making you feel like they are potentially infinite and like there's stuff to find around every corner.

Despite literally being set in space, and a space multiverse at that, Stanfield just can't maintain that masquerade as well Bah Hahbah or Fantasy Norway and that's kind of weird.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
If anything, they made NASAMuzak.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Jack B Nimble posted:

If anything, they made NASAMuzak.

Want someone to make a Roscosmos-hardbass game.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Having got Starfield for cheap after hearing about how bad it was I'm surprised by how tolerable or even good it occasionally is, and how abysmal it's design is.

The story's fine, but it's mostly a vehicle for side quests, which is good, and some of them are pretty memorable. The setting - when it isn't random planets with nothing on them - is pretty interesting. Whoever decided 10 loading screens between each destination and quests that involve rapidly traveling to different planetary destinations though should get airlock'd, and the cheevo/perk system is just awful, worse than I could have imagined, it's basically reverse leveling from like Skyrim and much like Skyrim seems to reward you for sitting on piles of perk points so you can actually level what you want to level.

EDIT: Like as an example one of the early quests is: Go to Constellation and sit through multiple scripted speeches, travel to Mars, travel to the Moon, then travel to Neptune, then travel back to Constellation. I did that whole chain in less than an hour yet I had to sit through multiple loading screens and take off animations. At no point did I feel like I was being encouraged to spend a bit more time at a location. On its own this would just be a classic Bethesda problem but the additional of two-stage loading areas and grav jumping to unlock places can really make it feel like a slog just to get somewhere.

Mendrian fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jan 12, 2024

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

Definitely agree, that’s what makes it so frustrating to me. If it was merely bad I wouldn’t have finished it. You keep finding nuggets of gold in the turd so you keep digging.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
p sure that's just corn

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
It's all very standard Bethesda in that regard. I can't think of a single one of their games where the main quest was more interesting than helping some random 10 year old hang frog posters.

Starfield just kicked the general blandness up a notch

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Azhais posted:

It's all very standard Bethesda in that regard. I can't think of a single one of their games where the main quest was more interesting than helping some random 10 year old hang frog posters.

Starfield just kicked the general blandness up a notch

That's just it though, if it were just bland I'd just go oh okay, this is every game since Oblivion. It's the addition of loading screens (and take off, and landing screens) to the formula that just exacerbates the problem. "Skyrim, but you can't walk anywhere and have to sit through 4 loading screens to get to Whiterun" is obviously the opposite of an improvement. I get physically uncomfortable watching the loading screens, like I can feel my life slipping away each time the Starfield logo pops up. Which is a real shame because there actually are a lot of things to like in this game. The 'go anywhere, explore' element is mostly set dressing but the quests are fun and the crafting is pretty deep, there's a lot to do, I just dread having to leave the zone I'm in and you have to do it a lot.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

How long do your loads take?

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
at the very least OG skyrim on 1080p maxed out ran full 60 fps on a then 2 year old HD5850

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Cyrano4747 posted:

It's not just NG+ that tosses it in the dumpster. I understand that changes to the New Atlantis city map as the main plot progresses essentially means a new fresh map replaces the old. No big deal right? Yeah that penthouse is open-air. It's on the main city map. Your stuff gets wiped clean because it's all still on the "old" map that is no longer used. Excellent design. Maybe they patched it, IDK. Seems like a basic design issue though so probably not.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
My useless ship inventory filled to the brim with garbage because I had the audacity to change ships. Kryx would have the beginnings of a ring system based on how many markers and darts I’ve jettisoned in orbit.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

DancingShade posted:

It's not just NG+ that tosses it in the dumpster. I understand that changes to the New Atlantis city map as the main plot progresses essentially means a new fresh map replaces the old. No big deal right? Yeah that penthouse is open-air. It's on the main city map. Your stuff gets wiped clean because it's all still on the "old" map that is no longer used. Excellent design. Maybe they patched it, IDK. Seems like a basic design issue though so probably not.

It’s so weird too because it’s not like the new Atlantis map is permanently changed by the plot events. There’s really no reason for it to not just load up the variant map for the event as its own entity (since in those events it’s not like you can even go off and explore, it’s all pretty locked down) and then go back to using the existing map when the event is over. Just bafflingly bad design.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

DancingShade posted:

Nope. The entirety of your apartment is still very much not safe storage.

If you want a home base to display crap in Starfield the best bet is the house you get with the dream home starting perk.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It’s so weird too because it’s not like the new Atlantis map is permanently changed by the plot events. There’s really no reason for it to not just load up the variant map for the event as its own entity (since in those events it’s not like you can even go off and explore, it’s all pretty locked down) and then go back to using the existing map when the event is over. Just bafflingly bad design.

They load the entire map but only change the areas you're loving around in for the quest. I saw a youtube video where someone used a combo of jet packing and skyrim wall climbing to get over a barricade and the whole loving rest of the city was there, including shopkeepers and the random NPCs that do little scripted things etc. Just going about their day like normal while the xenomorph apocalypse happened across a pile of rubble.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Robobot posted:

My useless ship inventory filled to the brim with garbage because I had the audacity to change ships. Kryx would have the beginnings of a ring system based on how many markers and darts I’ve jettisoned in orbit.

its like this game is designed to disrespect your time as much as humanely possible

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

The ship thing is actually to prevent what you see with the apartment.

Every time you alter the layout or change ships it has to re-load the whole thing. So all the crap in it would get destroyed. This is also why the fix for having dead bodies stuck in your cockpit is to go fiddle in the ship designer.

Well, if people put their fancy gun on a rack in their ship and it gets vanished into the void they'll be mad, so they set it up to flush the entire contents of the ship into storage when that would happen. The result is having a billion succulents, bic pens, and work out weights in your ship inventory with the upside that if you actually decorated your ship your poo poo isn't gone either.

Why they didn't use that exact same system to toss your apartment contents into a storage locker when a quest forces a reload is an exercise left to the reader. I'm putting my money on "Team A had no idea what Team B was doing so wasn't aware of their fix to a similar issue."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Cyrano4747 posted:

Why they didn't use that exact same system to toss your apartment contents into a storage locker when a quest forces a reload is an exercise left to the reader.

You get a locker full of trash from every restaurant in New Atlantis? :v: