Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

solarjetman posted:

Not actually arguing against Belichick here - 3 of his 6 rings were with a young game-manager Brady, he did a zillion amazing things during his Brady stretch, and in his post-Brady years he is much older than Shanahan was in his post-Elway years - but there are parallels, so:

- I wouldn't expect much more out of Belichick on another team than Shanahan produced with Washington
- Mike Shanahan should be in the hall of fame.
I think there's kind of this false dichotomy where it's like these coaches are useless without their Hall of Fame quarterback, where I think the more nuanced approach is that these guys are still successful with even pretty good qb play. It's just really difficult to consistently win with bad QB play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kate Lockwell
Feb 17, 2010

I'm going to throw left-handed. Is only way I can be satisfied. If I use my right... over too quickly.

gvibes posted:

Two years.

WIll never forgive him for forcing out Greg Olsen. Hell of a player.

drat yeah, two years. He was so iconic (derogatory) I just assumed it was a bit longer

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

CharlestheHammer posted:

At the very least they won’t have the same offensive staff that ruined the old QB
Unless they give Eberflus a contract extension no way they're going to be able to recruit a decent offensive staff for a lame duck year.

Bears are the Jets are the Bears. They both do the same stupid poo poo year after year.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

the bears are functionally a dead team and should just be contracted. same poo poo every year.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
I like to imagine the bears owner as Mr. House from Fallout.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

he looks like he's been named the Ceremonial Mayor of a parade! He looks like he's a train conductor on a children's TV show!

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

holy poo poo
haha
hahahahahahaha
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

I posted about it to the Eagles doomers in the NFC East thread but got drowned out by Cowboys fans who posted crying Sirianni.jpg because they don't understand their own meme, but...

I don't see what firing Sirianni accomplishes if you think he's just a random yes man. Assuming that's the case, he's just going to get replaced by another puppet and then you're back to square one. This isn't a defense of him or a suggestion to keep him, just that if you're really of that mindset and not just screaming into the void, what are you, as a fan, even hoping for at this point? I'm not too bothered by the thought of him hanging on one more year with a different staff given that the defense was the much bigger problem this year.

For all of the offenses issues, Philly was still 7th in ppg. The defense was 30th. Hiring Patricia was lovely enough but even with Desai struggling, replacing him with Patricia was just baffling and reeks of desperation. Eagles opponents scored something like 21.5 ppg with Desai at the helm, for a schedule that included a bunch of playoff teams. Patricia's D gave up almost 27 per game against much worse competition. And why on earth would you promote to DC a guy who your team scored 41 points against in the Super Bowl with a backup QB? You already know he's trash. If the decision was with Sirianni then... yeah, that's not a bad reason to heat his seat up. If he's just some puppet then it doesn't really matter and you just have to hope the next guy.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I think it is silly to consider Sirianni a puppet. The guys face is incredibly punchable, he willingly hired a rapist, and his offenses have been absolute trash without Steichen calling plays. Sirianni had never called plays before but insisted on calling them when he became the Eagles HC; the offense stunk. He handed playcalling over to Steichen and the offense went to the moon. This year the offense has coasted on talent: good QB, top 3 OL, top 3 WR duo, great TE, talented RBs, great gimmick for short yardage situations. You can put up a lot of PPG when you out-talent everyone.

tl;dr Sirianni was propped up by his coordinators last year and now the team stinks with them and like... CJGJ being the main FA that left the team.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

What is it about the Bears' DNA that prevents them from having a good offense?

Saw a take posted in this subforum that the organization hangs their entire identity on the 85 Bears, who were notable for their defensive play.

Gonna be really funny when the Bears finally figure out how to run a modern offense, only for the pendulum across the league to swing back to defensive play.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Quiet Feet posted:

I don't see what firing Sirianni accomplishes if you think he's just a random yes man.

getting a yes man with connections to build a better staff. Howie and Lurie can't assemble an entire coaching staff on their own, and Sirianni is obviously tapped out after his first raft of coordinators and position coaches

also the team doesn't trust him. you'd like a yes man that doesn't lead to his QB and top WR giving cryptic comments every single press conference and doesn't have veteran defensive leaders going on the radio to say you're panicking and making a rash coordinator switch

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

indigi posted:

getting a yes man with connections to build a better staff. Howie and Lurie can't assemble an entire coaching staff on their own, and Sirianni is obviously tapped out after his first raft of coordinators and position coaches

So you’re saying they need an older CEO type coach with connections who’s open to giving up personnel duties?

Hmm. HMMM

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

indigi posted:

Sirianni had to hire both new coordinators after Steichen and Gannon got poached late, Gannon after the Cardinals tampered and hosed the Eagles out of their original choice. You give him an offseason to right the ship because Sean Desai in particular was nobody's first choice - by the time they were even able to hire him, it was a matter of picking through the scrap pile.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

C-Euro posted:

Saw a take posted in this subforum that the organization hangs their entire identity on the 85 Bears, who were notable for their defensive play.

Gonna be really funny when the Bears finally figure out how to run a modern offense, only for the pendulum across the league to swing back to defensive play.

The Bears were “play defense and run the ball with a conservative offense and lovely QB play” long before 1985.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

fartknocker posted:

The Bears were “play defense and run the ball with a conservative offense and lovely QB play” long before 1985.

I mean, that was like 95% of the league back then, tho.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

One of the merits of hiring a head coach who's the playcaller (especially offensive) is that you don't have to worry about staff turnover as much.

If you're CEO head coach of a successful team your coordinators and assistants are going to keep leaving and you'll have to keep replacing them. That kind of steady turnover can take a toll.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Black Lighter posted:

Sirianni had to hire both new coordinators after Steichen and Gannon got poached late, Gannon after the Cardinals tampered and hosed the Eagles out of their original choice. You give him an offseason to right the ship because Sean Desai in particular was nobody's first choice - by the time they were even able to hire him, it was a matter of picking through the scrap pile.

There's a lot of stuff up in the air, the internal battle seemed to be Denard Wilson (now with Baltimore) vs Sean Desai. It's unclear if it was Nick or Howie who ultimately made the decision, but Denard was angered enough to leave. Apparently Wilson was also the desire of the players as well.

Then there's the decision to bump Desai for Patricia. Also again unclear if that was FO mandated or coming from Nick organically.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Quiet Feet posted:

I don't see what firing Sirianni accomplishes...

Hiring Patricia was lovely enough but even with Desai struggling, replacing him with Patricia was just baffling and reeks of desperation. Eagles opponents scored something like 21.5 ppg with Desai at the helm, for a schedule that included a bunch of playoff teams. Patricia's D gave up almost 27 per game against much worse competition.
You kinda answered your own question there. If he's a hollow shell that's only good for being a vibes guy and hiring coordinators to actually run poo poo, well, he hired awful coordinators, replaced one of them with someone even worse, and the vibes are loving terrible. So what's he good for?

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

He wears fun t-shirts sometimes

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Black Lighter posted:

he picked desai and patricia, that's two chances already. both sucked poo poo

Cash Monet posted:

If you're CEO head coach of a successful team your coordinators and assistants are going to keep leaving and you'll have to keep replacing them. That kind of steady turnover can take a toll.

sure but it wasn't steady turnover. it was literally one offseason, and he hadn't developed anybody in the building into a worthwhile promotion choice. complete failure

so if he doesn't have the players' trust, doesn't have the skills to develop internal candidates, doesn't come up with schemes or gameplans, doesn't call plays, can't stop a historic collapse, can't get the players to buy in, and is sub 500 at choosing coordinators,

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

the reason I don't like matt eberflus is because he is a goober

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Harlock posted:

There's a lot of stuff up in the air, the internal battle seemed to be Denard Wilson (now with Baltimore) vs Sean Desai. It's unclear if it was Nick or Howie who ultimately made the decision, but Denard was angered enough to leave. Apparently Wilson was also the desire of the players as well.

Then there's the decision to bump Desai for Patricia. Also again unclear if that was FO mandated or coming from Nick organically.

My guess - based on nothing but vibes and the fact that Pedersen got fired over wanting to choose his coordinators - is that Howie had more say in all of this than Sirianni. Everything with Patricia especially feels like a front office getting enamored with a big name and bringing him on no matter how transparently bad an idea it was.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I don't think Sirianni has as much pull with hiring staff as perhaps other NFL coaches do. Doug was fired in part due to a conflicting vision of how he wanted to staff the team compared to the front office. I don't know what this means for his future, or anything really. But I'm going to guess Sirianni was brought in with certain expectations, and this might actually help him survive if he tows the line.

I will say that when he did call plays in the start of his first season, he was godawful at it.

edit: beaten kinda

shyduck fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jan 10, 2024

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

This is who the Panthers need to hire.

quote:

ESPN’s Jeremy Fowler reports the Panthers will interview defensive coordinator Ejiro Evero for the team’s head coaching vacancy.

The Panthers this week blocked the Jaguars from interviewing Evero for the team’s defensive coordinator vacancy. An up-and-coming name, Evero should be considered a favorite to land the Panthers head coaching gig — if he wants it. Carolina’s defense was surprisingly stout against the pass throughout 2023 while failing to stop opposing rushing attacks. Evero will surely be a finalist for the Carolina head coaching job.

Let him fill out his staff and front office, let him play defensive football for the next few seasons and just try to get the team stable.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

FizFashizzle posted:

Let him fill out his staff and front office, let him play defensive football for the next few seasons and just try to get the team stable.

Came here to post this. He did a great job this year and seemed to get every ounce of talent out of the defense. That's the kind of guy you want coaching your team. I doubt he's flashy enough for Tepper though.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

FizFashizzle posted:

So you’re saying they need an older CEO type coach with connections who’s open to giving up personnel duties?

Hmm. HMMM

I don't know if this is what you're specifically referencing (you have a few of these down the line) but Rivera to Philly would be hilarious. And only more funny if it actually worked...which...I don't know, that might work to some extent.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Diva Cupcake posted:

Unless they give Eberflus a contract extension no way they're going to be able to recruit a decent offensive staff for a lame duck year.

Bears are the Jets are the Bears. They both do the same stupid poo poo year after year.

Maybe you will get an up and comer who also thinks coups are cool

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

FizFashizzle posted:

He consistently has managed to get defenses to outplay their talent level on truly horrible teams. Give him a shot and just let them stabilize things.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

https://x.com/tompelissero/status/1745162266746499483?s=46&t=OK6AvWM-NBtlIQDYnQH66w

Holy poo poo

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Holy poo poo. That one is a shocker.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

What the gently caress. I mean I kind of get it, but what the gently caress.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Uhh, holy poo poo.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
genuine woah

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
I kinda get it but also wow

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Way better coaches than Saleh getting fired every day now lol

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Flexing over my repeated comments about how no coach ever has started a season at age 73.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Oh he's staying in the org.

This just seems like he wants to take a step back from coaching.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
WHAT?

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
lol greatest free agent coaching list ever, glad the Jets are keeping their gang

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Dexo posted:

Oh he's staying in the org.

This just seems like he wants to take a step back from coaching.

Was about to post this, he might be doing the Parcells thing