Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Blue Footed Booby posted:

It's funny you say this, because text is all git is really meant for. It was just designed by the most programmer to ever program. It's a deeply unpleasant piece of software that the most humorless grognards treat as above criticism.

A lot of git’s tooling is designed around the assumption that the line is the important unit of change, which makes it hard to read a diff of a sentence or paragraph. There are alternate diff viewers that do word/sentence/paragraph consideration but things like blame still work on lines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Volmarias posted:

Honestly I would love it if this is how legislators could actually introduce legislation, especially if you could easily see specifically what sections were stricken or added.

The problem is that, sometimes, they're intended to allow loop holes or similar. Imagine having the Obfuscated C Contest, but with lawyers, and also case law that's relevant but not specified in the change.

I've seen bills that are basically context-less diffs, which would be greatly helped by the innovation of showing the surrounding text.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Rust Martialis posted:

code:

if(rp->p_flag&SSWAP) {
		rp->p_flag =& ~SSWAP;
		aretu(u.u_ssav);
	}

You forgot the best part, the comment

/*
* If the new process paused because it was
* swapped out, set the stack level to the last call
* to savu(u_ssav). This means that the return
* which is executed immediately after the call to aretu
* actually returns from the last routine which did
* the savu.
* You are not expected to understand this.
*/

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

Tuna-Fish posted:

What? There are several. At least vim-mode, vimpulse and their successor, Evil.

Apparently there's no get-the-joke-mode

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Rust Martialis posted:

Oh, like Emacs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urcL86UpqZc

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
Thread about a new book by some journalist from Time magazine:
https://twitter.com/mylovanov/status/1744316501228650858

Book is The Showman by Simon Shuster. Apparently contains interesting stories about behind-the-scenes happenings in earlier stages of the Russian full invasion:

"Around the 55th day of the invasion, the battle for the Donbas had started, and Zelensky invited me to his office to talk. His aides warned that his schedule was erratic. Lately, they said, so was his mood."
"A rift emerged between Zelensky and top general Valerii Zaluzhnyi over military strategy, with the commander gaining a cult following that challenged the president's standing as Ukraine's hero"
"But as the Russians went into retreat, Zelensky grew more confident. He formed his own military priorities, and they were not always aligned with the General’s. Soon the rift widened."

Other books about the war, in English: https://kyivindependent.com/10-ukrainian-books-about-russias-war-available-in-english/

Now all I need is to have more time (and be less lazy) to read some of these

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Volmarias posted:

Commit: 8fdb2af1a3b61a0deb3ee49da757975967269b58
Author: somedude@whatever.com
Description: fixed

You threw me for a real good loop here. Reading on the app, this was the first post I hadn't read and I wasn't sure if the app was loving up or if this was a real post :lmao:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Nervous posted:

You threw me for a real good loop here. Reading on the app, this was the first post I hadn't read and I wasn't sure if the app was loving up or if this was a real post :lmao:

This is the commit that tried to remove the load bearing slurs, sorry

Dull Fork
Mar 22, 2009
https://www.newsweek.com/zoya-konovalova-putin-propagandist-state-tv-found-dead-russia-1858549

Head of Russian state-run propaganda TV found dead alongside ex-husband after mysterious ‘poisoning’. So while the battlelines aren't moving very quickly, there seems to be plenty of 'important' Russians dying. I can recall several killings going off that were highlighted in the news, (for example, that russian war blogger who got exploded via a gifted bust of himself, and a further list here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suspicious_deaths_of_Russian_businesspeople_(2022%E2%80%932023) )

I'm not gonna say that Ukraine should or shouldn't do things like this, but one does wonder if assassinations like this one will increase, or even become a new expected norm in this war.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Dull Fork posted:

I'm not gonna say that Ukraine should or shouldn't do things like this, but one does wonder if assassinations like this one will increase, or even become a new expected norm in this war.

Hm, how much evidence is there about which of these killings are by Ukraine? Most of the oligarch murders for example seem obviously done by other Russian oligarchs (including Putin)

Dull Fork
Mar 22, 2009

jaete posted:

Hm, how much evidence is there about which of these killings are by Ukraine? Most of the oligarch murders for example seem obviously done by other Russian oligarchs (including Putin)

In this case of the dead state-run tv channel lady... its true she could have been going against Putin, but I kinda doubt it? but yes, for sure there were killings Putin did to keep oligarchs in line.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
it's kinda hard to tell since all the english articles appear to be copying the same basic set of info from one another, and the russian articles don't have much either themselves (i figure everyone's just vomiting out the same TASS wire) but is there anything that indicates this person was actually important? afaict she was basically the equivalent of an editor at a local ABC affiliate channel? she wasn't the head of _all of VGTRK_, she was an editor for their Kuban regional office. idk why Ukraine would care about her in particular

absent some info that im missing i would expect it's more likely she somehow pissed off a local crime boss or some poo poo

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!

Dull Fork posted:

https://www.newsweek.com/zoya-konovalova-putin-propagandist-state-tv-found-dead-russia-1858549

Head of Russian state-run propaganda TV found dead alongside ex-husband after mysterious ‘poisoning’. So while the battlelines aren't moving very quickly, there seems to be plenty of 'important' Russians dying. I can recall several killings going off that were highlighted in the news, (for example, that russian war blogger who got exploded via a gifted bust of himself, and a further list here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suspicious_deaths_of_Russian_businesspeople_(2022%E2%80%932023) )

Yeah remember when the Russians poisoned the wife of Ukraine’s spymaster? Probably some retribution going on there.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Remember when Russia poisoned Ukraine's president? Yeah, this war is going to have important people getting murked.

Dull Fork
Mar 22, 2009

Ynglaur posted:

Remember when Russia poisoned Ukraine's president? Yeah, this war is going to have important people getting murked.

I hadn't, but now I looked it up and have learned! Back in 2004... jesus, two decades ago.

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

afaict she was basically the equivalent of an editor at a local ABC affiliate channel? she wasn't the head of _all of VGTRK_, she was an editor for their Kuban regional office. idk why Ukraine would care about her in particular

absent some info that im missing i would expect it's more likely she somehow pissed off a local crime boss or some poo poo

Yeah I think this is a fair assessment, and I chose a bad example to frame my question off of. The death of that guy via a bust seems more directly an obvious assassination.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Dull Fork posted:

I dont think Ukrainians would care enough to put valuable resources to off the lady in charge of a regional tv station from neither capital nor frontline region.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Western aid to Ukraine update. I'll paste the whole thing in case you're like me and have exceeded your free views on The Guardian app.

"Rishi Sunak visits Kyiv after announcing rise in UK military aid to Ukraine to Ł2.5bn"
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/jan/12/rishi-sunak-to-visit-kyiv-after-announcing-rise-in-uk-military-aid-to-ukraine

quote:

The UK prime minister, Rishi Sunak, is visiting Ukraine on Friday to meet his counterpart, Volodymyr Zelenskiy, as the UK announced it would provide further military aid to the country over the coming year.

The UK has been one of Kyiv’s staunchest supporters since Russia’s invasion and Sunak said Britain would boost its support in the next financial year to Ł2.5bn, an increase of Ł200m on the previous two years.

The extra funding would help Ukraine pay for new military drones, including surveillance, long-range strike and sea drones with most of them expected to be manufactured in Britain.

Sunak’s visit comes at a tense moment after UK and US launched air and missile strikes in Houthi-controlled areas of Yemen, aimed at halting attacks on ships in the Red Sea.

Zelenskiy has pressed allies in the west to provide Ukraine with more support against Russian forces, amid fears that interest in the war is flagging as the war drags on.

The crisis in the Middle East as Israel continues to bombard Gaza has also turned global attention away from the Russian president Vladimir Putin’s invasion of the country. The UK and US, with support from allies Australia, Bahrain, Canada, and the Netherlands, hit at least 60 targets in 16 locations around Yemen overnight on Thursday.

Announcing his visit to Kyiv, Sunak said: “For two years, Ukraine has fought with great courage to repel a brutal Russian invasion. They are still fighting, unfaltering in their determination to defend their country and defend the principles of freedom and democracy.

“I am here today with one message: the UK will also not falter. We will stand with Ukraine, in their darkest hours and in the better times to come.”

Ukraine’s former defence minister Andriy Zagorodnyuk described the British move as a “big deal”, at a time when military assistance from the US – Ukraine’s most important ally – had dried up.

“It’s a huge announcement, particularly given the freeze we currently see from the US,” he told the Guardian. He said the UK had “stepped ahead” when some allies were “hesitating”.

It was part of a pattern of leadership in which London had provided tanks to Kyiv and encouraged the supply of F-16 fighter jets, Zagorodnyuk said. “It’s hugely appreciated.”

Zagorodnyuk said the package included more than Ł200m for “a whole range” of unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs): “It’s extremely important because this war is more and more about UAVs. They play a critical role.” British drone manufacturers would be able to test “innovative and competitive” designs in real conditions on the battlefield, he suggested.
On Friday, the UK’s armed forces minister, James Heappey, described the military action in Yemen as “an act of self-defence”. He told Times Radio: “Our action and the action of the Americans last night was in self-defence in order to defend against further attacks on our warships as they go about their legal and reasonable business.”

Sunak and Zelenskiy will use the one-day visit to sign a UK-Ukraine agreement on security cooperation, after G7 countries agreed at last year’s Nato summit to sign bilateral security assurances with the country.

Downing Street said the Ł2.5bn in funding would cover long-range missiles, air defence, artillery ammunition and maritime security.

Sunak said the UK recognised that Ukrainian “security is our security”. “Today we are going further – increasing our military aid, delivering thousands of cutting-edge drones, and signing a historic new security agreement to provide Ukraine with the assurances it needs for the long term.”

The prime minister was due to meet Ukrainian emergency workers during the visit, with Sunak also expected to announce a further Ł18m in aid.

Funding and resources would also be provided for English-language training in the country, No 10 said.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

literally the only good thing Rishi or the Tories have ever done

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

literally the only good thing Rishi or the Tories have ever done

I assume it’s an accident

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

I assume it’s an accident

Every British PM wants to be Churchill, and sometimes not the "racist narcissist" part.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

That was the biggest part!

Dull Fork
Mar 22, 2009

fatherboxx posted:

I dont think Ukrainians would care enough to put valuable resources to off the lady in charge of a regional tv station from neither capital nor frontline region.

Really? I would. Especially after seeing the level of wetwork they've already admitted to. The Antonovsky bridge (unwitting) suicide bombing, which at least had military applications. The near miss of Dugin via car bomb, which did kill his daughter. The SBU admitting they killed a traitor (Illia Kyva) politician who fled to Russia. I'm willing to bet that washed up former politician was about as 'important' to the war as said TV lady.

And they realllly hate collaborators.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collaboration_with_Russia_during_the_Russian_invasion_of_Ukraine#After_February_2022

The economist quotes some SBU figures who are uncomfortable with these 'marginal figures' being targets.
https://www.economist.com/europe/2023/09/05/inside-ukraines-assassination-programme

The Economist posted:

But a subsequent string of operations targeting mid-level propagandists showed a trend that few of the insiders interviewed for this article were happy with. “These are marginal figures,” says one source in sbu counter-intelligence. “It makes me uncomfortable.” The former sbu fifth-directorate officer suggests the operations were designed to impress the president rather than bring victory any closer. “Clowns, prostitutes and jokers are a constant around the Russian government,” he says. “Kill one of them, and another will appear in their place.”

With Ukraine getting less aid military aid, I absolutely see the SBU/GUR trying to be maximally destructive. Taking easy kills where they can, even if it doesn't change any battle lines.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

OddObserver posted:

Every British PM wants to be Churchill, and sometimes not the "racist narcissist" part.

These are Tory's we are talking about. I think "racist narcissists" are the first two words in the party's manifesto.

the heat goes wrong
Dec 31, 2005
I´m watching you...
Before meeting Sunak, Zelensky finished his trip to Baltic states and it was pretty successful.
Lithuania promised €200 million worth of support over the next three years, Latvia committed over 1% of its gross domestic product to military assistance and €500 million for reconstruction. And Estonia pledged €1.2 billion and a extra 0.25% of its GDP to military assistance every year over the next three years.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Dull Fork posted:

Really? I would. Especially after seeing the level of wetwork they've already admitted to.

The ones you mention are different, and for example Ilya Dugin was the intended target of the assassination that killed Darya Dugina but due to a change in plans he wasn't in the car. Meanwhile Russia has a strong domestic assassination scene, whether done by the state, Kadyrov, oligarchs, other organized crime, gangs, opposition groups... when a relative nobody gets poisoned, I would first look at personal enemies, family, organized crime etc. rather than a foreign power that has limited assets inside Russia.

Dull Fork
Mar 22, 2009

Nenonen posted:

The ones you mention are different, and for example Ilya Dugin was the intended target of the assassination that killed Darya Dugina but due to a change in plans he wasn't in the car.
What? I called it a 'near miss' because I knew Dugin was the target. Dugin and Dugina were both non-military, propaganda mouthpieces they just missed the more important one. I'm not sure how that makes it different than the assassination of Vladlen Tatarsky, the russian milblogger who got bombed via a bust of himself. Or the assassination of Illiya Kyva. All 3 killed were non-military propaganda mouthpieces were they not? I'd even go farther to say of the 4 targets, the least 'nobody' among them they didn't even get.

This to me seems to mean that yes, Ukraine would be willing to spend their limited clandestine resources on such acts.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Im surprised that the SBU hasnt collected on the arch traitor Yanuvovich.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Dull Fork posted:

What? I called it a 'near miss' because I knew Dugin was the target. Dugin and Dugina were both non-military, propaganda mouthpieces they just missed the more important one. I'm not sure how that makes it different than the assassination of Vladlen Tatarsky, the russian milblogger who got bombed via a bust of himself. Or the assassination of Illiya Kyva. All 3 killed were non-military propaganda mouthpieces were they not? I'd even go farther to say of the 4 targets, the least 'nobody' among them they didn't even get.

This to me seems to mean that yes, Ukraine would be willing to spend their limited clandestine resources on such acts.

There's no evidence or even a clear suggestion that Tatarsky was killed by Ukraine either. Why do you think that SBU in particular was involved in the assassination of a vocal critic of Russian army leadership who was speaking at a joint owned by Yevgeny Prigozhin? Instead of that being a message directed at Prigozhin himself? And how did they do it? Because while I don't doubt that there would be willingness to do it, it's another matter if it would be worth it to do such an elaborate operation to take out an utterly replaceable and, ultimately, useful media person. Alexander Dugin OTOH is a demagogue often attributed as influencing Putin's views and offing him would have had some symbolic value as a face of Russian imperialism.

For that matter, who do you think killed Prigozhin? Ukraine or Russia? Surely Ukrainians would have loved to get him?

Dull Fork
Mar 22, 2009

Nenonen posted:

There's no evidence or even a clear suggestion that Tatarsky was killed by Ukraine either. Why do you think that SBU in particular was involved in the assassination of a vocal critic of Russian army leadership who was speaking at a joint owned by Yevgeny Prigozhin? Instead of that being a message directed at Prigozhin himself? And how did they do it? Because while I don't doubt that there would be willingness to do it, it's another matter if it would be worth it to do such an elaborate operation to take out an utterly replaceable and, ultimately, useful media person. Alexander Dugin OTOH is a demagogue often attributed as influencing Putin's views and offing him would have had some symbolic value as a face of Russian imperialism.

For that matter, who do you think killed Prigozhin? Ukraine or Russia? Surely Ukrainians would have loved to get him?

My apologies, I am now realizing I was thinking of Igor Mangushev, also an affiliate to Wagner, and present in agitprop campaigns who proudly displayed a human skull, claiming it to be a Ukrainian's and told the crowd he was gonna make a goblet out of it. He caught a bullet to the head, no fancy bust explosions. :eng99:
https://www.thedailybeast.com/igor-mangushev-russian-mercenary-who-brandished-ukrainian-skull-shot-in-head
But hey, Putin was offing Prigozhin guys then, so maybe that wasn't the SBU there either?

Based on the location of the hit, Putin killed Prigozhin, no questions. If the SBU could shoot down/blow up a plane in the middle of Russia, I would hope they would have saved that capability for someone better than a failed coup leader. Unfortunately I also know Putin travels by armored train.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

I just don't get how one possibly gets mistaken between different mysteriously dead Russian propagandists. It's not like there's more than... HOLD ON, we just had some new defenestrations, brb!!!

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Dull Fork posted:

My apologies, I am now realizing I was thinking of Igor Mangushev, also an affiliate to Wagner, and present in agitprop campaigns who proudly displayed a human skull, claiming it to be a Ukrainian's and told the crowd he was gonna make a goblet out of it. He caught a bullet to the head, no fancy bust explosions. :eng99:
https://www.thedailybeast.com/igor-mangushev-russian-mercenary-who-brandished-ukrainian-skull-shot-in-head
But hey, Putin was offing Prigozhin guys then, so maybe that wasn't the SBU there either?

Yes, that one was Russians and most likely just some guys (though most affiliates said it were Wagner guys) killing that moron over money or some personal animosity. Fraggings are reported very often, mostly of "drunken arguments going extra " variety.

Dull Fork posted:

Really? I would. Especially after seeing the level of wetwork they've already admitted to. The Antonovsky bridge (unwitting) suicide bombing, which at least had military applications. The near miss of Dugin via car bomb, which did kill his daughter. The SBU admitting they killed a traitor (Illia Kyva) politician who fled to Russia. I'm willing to bet that washed up former politician was about as 'important' to the war as said TV lady.

The difference is, everyone knew Kiva, he was a very loud and prolific turncoat, just as he was a loud and obnoxious "rahhhhh kill every rusnya dog" pre-2022 at home. Dugin, Tatarsky, Prilepin (the failed assassination) are also fairly high profile (but not high enough to have proper security). Crimean Bridge - a place of insane symbolic power. Local collaborators in occupied territories are obvious classic targets because of proximity and local agents. Murdering a non-public regional manager in Russia proper is unlikely because it barely registers on news, so I highly doubt it is a work of agents.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Dull Fork posted:

And they realllly hate collaborators.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collaboration_with_Russia_during_the_Russian_invasion_of_Ukraine#After_February_2022

The economist quotes some SBU figures who are uncomfortable with these 'marginal figures' being targets.
https://www.economist.com/europe/2023/09/05/inside-ukraines-assassination-programme

With Ukraine getting less aid military aid, I absolutely see the SBU/GUR trying to be maximally destructive. Taking easy kills where they can, even if it doesn't change any battle lines.

Add to this the former submarine commander shot while jogging.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Nenonen posted:

I just don't get how one possibly gets mistaken between different mysteriously dead Russian propagandists. It's not like there's more than... HOLD ON, we just had some new defenestrations, brb!!!

The Something Awful Forums > Debate and Discussion > War in Ukraine CE: the defenestrations shall continue

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

Dull Fork posted:

Really? I would. Especially after seeing the level of wetwork they've already admitted to. The Antonovsky bridge (unwitting) suicide bombing, which at least had military applications.

Minor point, the Antonovsky bridge is the ruined one across the Dnepr at Kherson, not the Crimean Bridge across the Kerch Strait.

HDC
Mar 11, 2006

Rust Martialis posted:

Minor point, the Antonovsky bridge is the ruined one across the Dnepr at Kherson, not the Crimean Bridge across the Kerch Strait.

There was an incident on the latter one, too.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

quote:

Ukrainian military officials notably stated that Ukrainian forces also disabled over 20 of the missiles using “active countermeasures by means of electronic warfare,” which may be an inflection in Ukrainian electronic warfare capabilities that are normally credited with disabling Russian drones but not missile systems.

curious about this, is it referring to spoofing satellite transponders to mess with coordinate targeting, or something else?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
This was asked elsewhere, but never answered. Wouldn't Ukraine benefit greatly from shutting down Russian satellites in orbit? I don't know what kind of logistical hurdles would need to be overcome, considering the technology was tested successfully 50 years ago. Wouldn't that shut down all Russian weapon navigation capabilities?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASM-135_ASAT

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Nitrox posted:

This was asked elsewhere, but never answered. Wouldn't Ukraine benefit greatly from shutting down Russian satellites in orbit? I don't know what kind of logistical hurdles would need to be overcome, considering the technology was tested successfully 50 years ago. Wouldn't that shut down all Russian weapon navigation capabilities?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASM-135_ASAT

Whats the range of the ASM-135 and what is the altitude of GLOSNAS?

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
That is not a can of worms anyone actually wants to open. So many satellites are effectively dual use, once someone starts destroying them, retaliation will inevitiably clear out the sky AND pull in previously uninvolved nations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Those things produce tons of space debris which can severely endanger unrelated civilian applications as well, and basically piss off everyone.

It's not impossible to do stuff to satellites w/o creating debris, but Ukraine doesn't have that capability. (US actually might --- one can possibly use the "mission extender" thing Grunman made basically backwards).