Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Really good analysis from lil' bill:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxNfycto61w

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Schwarzwald posted:

Youtube essayist Sarah Zedig/@letstalkaboutstuff just wrote an informative post serendipitously on this very topic:

quote:

[Jeffiot, the guy who made the video on the skull trumpet gif] went from having just over 5k subs when i first started writing this draft on December 22nd, to exceeding 50k less than two weeks later, with the skull trumpet vid itself sitting pretty at over a quarter of a million views, the most of anything on his channel by several orders of magnitude.

Update: Jeffiot's skull trumpet gif video has now had over a million views and he's about to hit 75,000 subscribers

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

one of matpat's classic videos from the pre-gamergate years:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCYqk3-lUTY

fwiw, matpat's stated a couple of times that he's not proud of this video and he only made it cause it was part of the gaming culture at the time

as far as Game Theory and its variant channels, being honest, i don't know if any of them can survive without matpat being front and center. say what you will about the guy, but whether you like his theories or not, a big part of those channels' appeal is that he's the one spouting those theories. it's just not gonna be the same with anyone else trying to mimic his catchphrase

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Huh wasn't expecting that to end with the FNAF lore guy measuring the chin-to-nipple distance of Princess Peach

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Mr Interweb posted:

one of matpat's classic videos from the pre-gamergate years:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCYqk3-lUTY

fwiw, matpat's stated a couple of times that he's not proud of this video and he only made it cause it was part of the gaming culture at the time

as far as Game Theory and its variant channels, being honest, i don't know if any of them can survive without matpat being front and center. say what you will about the guy, but whether you like his theories or not, a big part of those channels' appeal is that he's the one spouting those theories. it's just not gonna be the same with anyone else trying to mimic his catchphrase

Yeah, Those channels are dead in the water once MatPat's done. Youtube channels 100% hinge on the main on screen talent. Every channel that's had a major creator or host leave, or try to wean the audience off of their main face sees massive viewership die off. If they find the right replacement they might survive in the long run, but it's going to take years for the deficits to rebound. And since MatPat sold his channels off to a larger media company (ala: The Escapist) they're not going to want to have to basically build a channel back up from scratch.

The extra funny thing about MatPat leaving though? The main GT channel used to have a bunch of different creators doing their own kinds of videos. One of the more popular-ish creators that stuck around the longest was the dude who did "Videos games, but what if we applied real science to them?", he left/was fired early last year and put a video out on his original channel talking about it. The relevant part was him saying that Youtube had tweaked the algorithm for channels of "groups" that had multiple creators making their own shows on the same channel or network. Basically his videos were never AS popular as MatPat's, but he got a healthy 500k+ view count usually, but suddenly his videos sank to less than 100k, sometimes as low as 10k views. Turns out Youtube basically decided "nah, we're only going to promote and suggest the most popular creator on a channel and ignore the rest" through whatever black magic their algorithm operates on. The timeline for that change also lines up with that adsense gently caress up from the vendors that was posted earlier seems to be.

So basically, they fired this dude because the ad system said "we don't wanna deal with multi-creator channels/networks, stick with one super popular dude" and now they're jumping right back into "Oh we're going to go ahead and split up our channels between 4+ different creators". I'd be loving livid if I were in that situation.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

who the gently caress is matpat?

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Slotducks posted:

he's dead

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Slotducks posted:

Well he's not quite a mat and he's not quite a pat but maaaaaan....

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Crain posted:

The extra funny thing about MatPat leaving though? The main GT channel used to have a bunch of different creators doing their own kinds of videos. One of the more popular-ish creators that stuck around the longest was the dude who did "Videos games, but what if we applied real science to them?", he left/was fired early last year and put a video out on his original channel talking about it.

who was this guy?

Fil5000 posted:

Well he's not quite a mat and he's not quite a pat but maaaaaan....

lol

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Slotducks posted:

He's just a theory.

A youtube theory.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
Utterly random observation: I've been rewatching a bunch of Jenny Nicholson videos lately and I've realized that out of all the stuff she has scattered about the room behind her, my eye is somehow always drawn to the Rouge the Bat plushie in the top right corner with two Bubsy plushes in front of it. I just can't not notice Rouge and her twin Bubsy sons in every Jenny video now...

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Seeing adults sad that MatPat is retiring is genuinely confusing for me. I guess because he's been doing it enough that people who watched when they were kids are now adults and it's a nostalgia thing? But every single video I watched from MatPat was just a combination of "first thing that comes up when you Google 'x'" and "jumping-across-the-Grand-Canyon levels of logical leaps" where I feel anyone above middle school would realize pretty quickly that he's full of poo poo.

So did he ever get on the Dark Souls lore train or was it just that he applied that rubric to every other game ever made

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Mr Interweb posted:

who was this guy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFGuMWuY0Kc&t=306s

It was this dude. Timestamped to the part where he talks about how the algorithm shifted and started penalizing multi-creator channels. Half the video is about his struggles with depression, which sucks and I'm glad he's on the mend.

But TL;DR: Algorithm shifted against multi-creator channels, His videos and a lot of others weren't being promoted (part of this he says could also be due to his output diminishing because of his depression), which was also making the channel as a whole get penalized (the algorithm also didn't promote multi-creator channels as much as single creator channels), so they fired him and scrubbed all his videos (except for one video which was part of a brand deal that I guess they had to keep up). They've also scrubbed all other non-MatPat videos from the channel as best they could. He says this was also right after the channels were bought out by a larger media company, so they were slashing and burning anything that wasn't leading to good old infinite growth from day one.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

good riddance to bad slop

fun hater posted:

this summer, an enormous and scathing review by adalytics (a media research website) came out criticizing google for a myriad of things which could be politely summed up as "fraud".

its a huge report. worth reading.

so over the last four or so months, google has been making core updates to its adsense network with, apparently, very little warning to the people using it. and everyone's numbers tanked. hard. oct 2023 appears to have been esp brutal. both the search engine journal and lily ray from amsive, apparently a huge name in marketing, released reports that are completely nuts. the lily ray one is esp detailed and has a timeline of updates

someone following me who works in online ad marketing weighed in on my armchair bullshit: its extremely detailed and explains the ad sale process ; its a great, seriously necessary post to understand the fail rear end world of advertising. but also extremely damning: if all of this is true, then the fault lies with the ad vendors google hired who have been replicating the conditions that lead to the 2008 financial crisis lol

this is all great though. sounds like the YouTube Renaissance of the last few years is gonna die hard lol

holy lol

quote:

Lastly, in some instances, TrueView skippable in-stream ads from brands were reported as serving on delisted or side-loaded Android apps that are not allowed on the Google app Play Store. Some of these delisted or side-loaded apps are developed and maintained by software vendors based in US Treasury OFAC sanctioned countries such as Iran, which raises the question of whether Google’s advertisers are inadvertently sending funds to Treasury sanctioned entities.

Famethrowa fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jan 10, 2024

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Clerical Terrors posted:

MatPat will forever live rent-free in my head because of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbWCFZvzCOk

okay this is a pretty good video format

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjtRd9m-j2g

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HUDzYuduIA

lol

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

lol that Scott cawthron wrotr the fnaf movie and it’s one of the highest grossing movies of last year lol

It stunk but the kids enjoyed it idk.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

And guy still probably donates to gop

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Annointed posted:

And guy still probably donates to gop
*more angrily*, no, he died when i killed him

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired
People die when they are killed?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Clerical Terrors posted:

People die when they are killed?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Dan Olson returns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihvG3RgbYzE

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Endorph posted:

*more angrily*, no, he died when i killed him

You forgot to burn his body parts and now he's come back.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

John Murdoch posted:

So did he ever get on the Dark Souls lore train or was it just that he applied that rubric to every other game ever made

He never got into it like he did FNAF/Minecraft, but yeah, he did a few videos

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Nuebot posted:

You forgot to burn his body parts and now he's come back.

Scott Cawthon Has Risen From The Grave (obviously)

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

YOU NOW PROSSESS CAWTHON’S RIB.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Crain posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFGuMWuY0Kc&t=306s

It was this dude. Timestamped to the part where he talks about how the algorithm shifted and started penalizing multi-creator channels. Half the video is about his struggles with depression, which sucks and I'm glad he's on the mend.

But TL;DR: Algorithm shifted against multi-creator channels, His videos and a lot of others weren't being promoted (part of this he says could also be due to his output diminishing because of his depression), which was also making the channel as a whole get penalized (the algorithm also didn't promote multi-creator channels as much as single creator channels), so they fired him and scrubbed all his videos (except for one video which was part of a brand deal that I guess they had to keep up). They've also scrubbed all other non-MatPat videos from the channel as best they could. He says this was also right after the channels were bought out by a larger media company, so they were slashing and burning anything that wasn't leading to good old infinite growth from day one.

ohh yeah this guy! i remember now. watched his video sometime last year. but yeah, real lovely situation. moreso considering that matpat did say when he made the announcement that his company was gonna be bought that all the employees/contributors would still stay on

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Scott cawthorn after being destroyed online
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBlM3UziL84

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

This could have been entirely about the reclamation project in New Zealand. It's the coolest part of Dan's video so naturally it's 90 seconds long and misrepresented in the Docu-ganda movie.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

SexyBlindfold posted:

can't wait for the 2024 subprime content crisis

This has been the metaphor for almost half a decade now
https://www.amazon.com/Subprime-Attention-Crisis-Advertising-Internet/dp/0374538654

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

he should

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

CelticPredator posted:

Scott cawthorn after being destroyed online
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBlM3UziL84

clapping at movies is so weird

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Dongicus posted:

he should

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Dongicus posted:

he should

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Dongicus posted:

he should

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Doesn't he run a publishing company now lol

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i remember dunkey cause he got banned from league of legends for calling his teammates slurs and then after he made it big on youtube he asked riot to unban him and they said no, and then when he got even bigger he asked again and they said no

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Endorph posted:

i remember dunkey cause he got banned from league of legends for calling his teammates slurs and then after he made it big on youtube he asked riot to unban him and they said no, and then when he got even bigger he asked again and they said no

He has, or at least had, a video on his youtube channel where he was very mad about it.

DaysBefore posted:

Doesn't he run a publishing company now lol

Has he published anything yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

Nuebot posted:

Has he published anything yet?

They announced the first game they are publishing but no release date.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/813230/ANIMAL_WELL/