Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Ive learned since the Big Freeze that I prefer burning to freezing. To me, jackets and coats are just as uncomfortable as being hot and sweaty. The cold hurts my ears and hands and it seems no matter how many layers I wear i just cant stay warm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The only thing Austin has over other Texas cities is bats.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

bats are loving disgusting irl

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

litany of gulps posted:

At least when it's scorching hot and the sun is out the mosquitos tend to hide

i thought once about how increased droughts due to climate change would decrease the mosquito population but then i learned that they can feed on mesquite trees

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

SlothfulCobra posted:

Houston has bats but a lot died during the freeze and floods :(

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Also gotta say, no matter how hot it gets outside, the lakes always stay refreshingly cool. Unless they evaporate

But last summer I got myself a canopied inner tube, a floating cooler, a bunch of sunscreen, and a tiny anchor. Floating around in the shade on a lake with booze is always fantastic

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the lakes get hot as poo poo lol

just float the river in san marcos

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I will say that is probably one of the better things about Texas. There aren’t many places where you can just lazily float down a river on a hot summer day and get drunk as hell.

I never hear of other places embracing a river float.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Dameius posted:

I have been the victim of one crime in my entire life in Houston and it was petty property theft/vandalism. And since I am the most important person that means crime is almost non-existent.

Just in the last year I've had my car and bicycle stolen but I live in West U, hot bed of crime.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

https://twitter.com/TexasObserver/status/1745107830107992163

https://www.texasobserver.org/priscilla-villarreal-la-gordiloca-laredo/

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

good article, lol at the project veritas cameo

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

SlothfulCobra posted:

This and a nationally-expanding diaspora of meteoric service industry businesses and restaurants.

On a related note, when you move here, enjoy the Alamo Drafthouse.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

i say swears online posted:

good article, lol at the project veritas cameo

Yeah having all these different groups glom onto her case especially "Project Veritas" is wild.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Sab0921 posted:

Just in the last year I've had my car and bicycle stolen but I live in West U, hot bed of crime.

Burn the bourgeois!

Zorro KingOfEngland
May 7, 2008

zoux posted:

ERCOT knower guy: are we concerned about next week

Several pages ago, but I just caught up with the thread -

The folks I've talked to are only concerned if there's a few forced outages. The fear is that some of the maintenance the generators had to postpone this summer might come back to roost. It'd take a few to cut through the reserve margin though.

Personally, I think we'll see high wholesale prices (which means expect another one of those articles about how the crypto miners made a gazillion dollars), but I don't think we'll see anything affecting consumers. I would expect the most consumer-facing thing that will happen is an EEA1 call, but that doesn't mean much to most people.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Thanks! I hate having to be paranoid about this stuff I was happier when I didn’t have to think about The Grid

Zorro KingOfEngland
May 7, 2008

not that this is much consolation, but stuff like this is always happening, it's just being reported on now post-Uri.

I've been in this industry through 8 of the top 10 ERCOT record summer peaks, and it's only since Uri that anyone has ever commented on them.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Dameius posted:

Burn the bourgeois!

I donated my car to the revolution.

The revolution involved smoking a bunch of weed, doing crimes, and then wrecking my car in Kashmere.

Jake Gittes
Jul 11, 2006

me irl

Sab0921 posted:

you mean the camera robo sentry system west U has setup didn't prevent car theft?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Zorro KingOfEngland posted:

not that this is much consolation, but stuff like this is always happening, it's just being reported on now post-Uri.

I've been in this industry through 8 of the top 10 ERCOT record summer peaks, and it's only since Uri that anyone has ever commented on them.

Yeah, I remember seeing conservation notices from ERCOT on twitter for years and no one gave a poo poo but it's only now you get every state reporter QTing with "State regulators warn of possible blackouts" with every single one

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Jake Gittes posted:

you mean the camera robo sentry system west U has setup didn't prevent car theft?

It got a great picture of my car leaving, which did not trigger any notifications on account of me and my car not being associated with any outstanding warrants or crimes - and it turns out that car thieves can easily work around it by just stealing someone's plate for the day as they're going to go do crimes so they dont trigger the "virtual gate"

Jake Gittes
Jul 11, 2006

me irl
lol

Jake Gittes
Jul 11, 2006

me irl
anyway here's a reminder that this was an actual thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYMt_mvXLYg

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

more like west pooniversity

Jake Gittes
Jul 11, 2006

me irl
more like west no jewsniveristy

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/DylanDoppelt/status/1744574693519090061

Gonna be putting that grid hardening to the test

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

RGV stays winning. :smug:

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

It’s gonna be a single day it’s fine. Winter does exist people!

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Jake Gittes posted:

more like west no jewsniveristy

It's very much not this.

lotta jews in West U.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Jiro posted:

RGV stays winning. :smug:

Hell yes, 60 degrees! Time to laugh it off while the whole state loses....oh

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

What hardening.

Sab0921 posted:

I donated my car to the revolution.

The revolution involved smoking a bunch of weed, doing crimes, and then wrecking my car in Kashmere.

:patriot:

Sab0921 posted:

It got a great picture of my car leaving, which did not trigger any notifications on account of me and my car not being associated with any outstanding warrants or crimes - and it turns out that car thieves can easily work around it by just stealing someone's plate for the day as they're going to go do crimes so they dont trigger the "virtual gate"

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i bet the power will stay on

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

grid's gone woke

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

[freezing to death in march] all the power plant operators have blue hair and gender now, this is the reality,and it has killed me

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

de-ice? then who will protect the border, libs

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Freemen of the land.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Dameius posted:

What hardening.

:patriot:

While funny that our surveillance state that cost like $20 million is defeated with a screwdriver, getting my car stolen was not fun.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Lol

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Sab0921 posted:

While funny that our surveillance state that cost like $20 million is defeated with a screwdriver, getting my car stolen was not fun.

Yeah of course. Still a funny story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
It was in the 30s driving home this morning and now it's like 65 outside.