Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tbb9
Sep 6, 2011
Without knowing what’s going on Mapes just met her god so it’s understandable she would make a weird noise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Toxic Mental posted:

I mean generally a film should be intelligible without having to read the book

agreed, and I think that was DV's primary concern with the movie as a whole. the film shortens/moves around some plot lines in order to tell a cohesive story. In fact I would say that it seems like the film version of the scene is specifically constructed to help the audience understand the "maker" line without narration. the guard is not in the book scene, for example, but her presence facilitates the communication of Jessica's inner thoughts and intentions without narration.

without any prior knowledge from the books, it's still not very clear from what we are shown why Jessica chooses to call a knife a "maker," especially since she's cut off from saying "—of death" by Mapes, but the entire scene is built around this interaction in the book so it would be hard to change it without throwing out the interaction completely. And the overall intent of the scene is received I think. Everything in it conveys to the audience that Jessica is a manipulator, has an adversarial relationship with the fremen, holds herself in high regard, and expects violence and treachery from others; all things which come into play in later scenes and presumably will be expanded upon in part 2

kalel fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jan 9, 2024

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014
if only denis wasn't such a goddman coward and included the dinner scene, we would finally have the perfect 30 minutes of silent chewing and everyone squinting meaningfully at everyone else

alas

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I feel like putting on a warmer ... Garment...

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Look out! That guy's gonna garment Paul with a knife! You'd better garment him right in the kidneys with this sword.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

skasion posted:

No

Tolkien created Tom Bombadil long before the writing of LOTR, he initially had no connection to the Silmarillion/LOTR myths, and in response to a fan letter (Letters 153) explicitly denied that Bombadil was or represented God. In another context (Letters 19, written before LOTR) he described Tom as “the spirit of the (vanishing) Oxford and Berkshire countryside”.

Right and didn't he also say for years that he just wanted some things to remain mysteries?

If Tom Bombadil is the spirit of the Oxford countryside I'm extremely glad that vanished because gently caress that. I despised that frolicking clown

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

kiimo posted:

Right and didn't he also say for years that he just wanted some things to remain mysteries?

If Tom Bombadil is the spirit of the Oxford countryside I'm extremely glad that vanished because gently caress that. I despised that frolicking clown

did an orc write this...

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

uber_stoat posted:

did an orc write this...

Tom Bombadil: Hey dol! merry dol! ring a dong dillo! Ring a dong! hop along! fal lal the willow! Tom Bom, jolly Tom, Tom Bombadillo!

kiimo: ohhhhhh, he looks tasty, just a bit off the flank

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Bubblyblubber posted:

if only denis wasn't such a goddman coward and included the dinner scene, we would finally have the perfect 30 minutes of silent chewing and everyone squinting meaningfully at everyone else

alas

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Bubblyblubber posted:

alas

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

https://x.com/maxevry/status/1745093239454019875

https://www.wired.com/story/david-lynch-dune-sequel-script-unearthed/

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

loving sick

The “put the pick in there, Pete” guy being Scytale is something I will never unsee

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

probably have gone through this already, but is it pronounced "sy tail" or "sky tali" or some other permutation

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

This is great, I love him just cutting loose on the tleilaxu

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Fuckin lmao

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

kalel posted:

probably have gone through this already, but is it pronounced "sy tail" or "sky tali" or some other permutation

i used to read it mentally as "sy tail" until an intrusive thought did a drive by saying "what if the tleilaxu are supposed to be italian coded?" and now i read it "ski tale" but shouting

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

rhymes with italy

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

they call them the Hand Dancers

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
let's do a crowdfund thing to get that Tleilaxu scene filmed.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
I always read the Tleilaxu as Mesoamerican coded, but I don’t think I grounded that in anything other than the name really

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

kalel posted:

A scytale was an ancient greek tool for encoding messages, so the "e" isn't silent. Skuh tar lee maybe?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Ingmar terdman posted:

rhymes with italy

This

Ben Nerevarine posted:

I always read the Tleilaxu as Mesoamerican coded, but I don’t think I grounded that in anything other than the name really

And the axlotl tanks!

Then you get to Heretics and it turns out they’re just pan-syncretic hyper Muslims like everyone else :shrug:

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Tree Bucket posted:

A scytale was an ancient greek tool for encoding messages, so the "e" isn't silent. Skuh tar lee maybe?

Pretty much what I think at this point, though I did read it initially as "si-tail" so my brain sometimes just pops back to that. So inadvertently I imagine everyone saying it differently.

Skittles.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I'm not much of a lynch dune fan but that was a very interesting article. I guess I'm most shocked he was getting copious notes from frank considering how the first movie turned out

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

No Mods No Masters posted:

I'm not much of a lynch dune fan but that was a very interesting article. I guess I'm most shocked he was getting copious notes from frank considering how the first movie turned out

Frank apparently liked the movie (though he complained about the rain). imo it was also an influence on Heretics

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I got the feeling he just said that because he was asked at a time when it would be pretty rude to say um this is a jumbled mess also wtf at that ending

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

If my memory of frank history serves that was also around the time when his finances were going south, so he had lots of monetary incentive to not publicly poo poo on it also. But that's one thing, annotating drafts of the next script reflects quite another level of involvement

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

contractual obligation perhaps?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

"Cool and evocative visuals but badly missed the point" is what we all think of it so not surprising Frank did too

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
"Scytales, Taste the Rainbow™"

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Ingmar terdman posted:

rhymes with italy

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014
mamma mia emperor paolo ima make a chani clone so a good a you slapa your mamma you so happy

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Wait there was another Leto II who died?

From the wiki for the book:

"The Emperor's troops seize a Fremen outpost, killing many including young Leto II"

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Toxic Mental posted:

"The Emperor's troops seize a Fremen outpost, killing many including young Leto II"

Paul and Chani's first child was murdered, ya

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

It's a completely pointless plot point in my opinion

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Toxic Mental posted:

we don't talk about Leto II-1.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Bubblyblubber posted:

mamma mia emperor paolo ima make a chani clone so a good a you slapa your mamma you so happy

Lmao

Jesus In A Can
Jul 2, 2007
From Concentrate

uber_stoat posted:

we don't talk about Leto II-1.

Unlike Leto II, God Emperor, Third of His Name

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

kiimo posted:

It's a completely pointless plot point in my opinion

Eh, it shows the personal impact of the horrors of war pretty well, that's about the point where Paul is realising his victory will be hollow. And it colours the anxiety over their later kids.