Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Southern Cassowary posted:

i pretty much wait for people who aren't on team isekai to say if an isekai is good

the thing that gets me is the generic fantasy stuff i usually try and it's still equally bad

That's because it's the same tropes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Waffleman_ posted:

sometimes yeah

other times they just have bad production value, are leaning too hard on edginess when they don't have the writing chops to back that up, or both

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

At one point people were using the term “native isekai” for those kinds of series, but the oxymoronic nature of the term provoked a backlash. Not sure what a better term is. Dorakue fantasy?

In general, if the setting has video game mechanics and/or capital-H Heroes and Demon Kings, it’s garbage.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jan 10, 2024

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
bad fantasy has always existed so i dont see a need to differentiate it

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
There's narou-kei which should cover most of that stuff, though I'm sure it's not a style exclusive to a singular publishing platform like Syosetsu ni Narou anymore.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

The Colonel posted:

bad fantasy has always existed so i dont see a need to differentiate it

It’s a particular kind of bad fantasy, though. Older Western “Extruded Fantasy Product” of the Sword of Shannara sort doesn’t have video game mechanics, and while it basically has Heroes and Demon Kings, it lacks the obnoxious pseudo-self-awareness implied by using those specific terms.

And of course the gross male sexual fantasy elements were generally less present in Extruded Fantasy Product. (They were present in the kind of bad fantasy that’s imitating Howard rather than Tolkien, but that’s yet another subgenre.)

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jan 10, 2024

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

New season must be bad if we're already at the 'litigating what counts as an isekai' part of the thread.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
On that note .....

Doctor Elise: The Royal Lady with the Lamp episode 1: this series merges several different isekai genres: the main character starts out as an Empress in a generic 18th century European country but gets executed for being lovely and she gets isekai'ed (reverse isekai'ed??) into modern day Japan where she decides to live a virtuous life and becomes a top level surgeon, then she gets re-isekai'ed back into her original life but also has a time skip to an earlier time before she went down the path that lead to her fall from grace. It's pretty much a combo of "reborn into a different/past era" isekai plus "using modern knowledge in a world without modern technology" isekai. Episode one pretty much covers everything up to the point where she wakes up after getting re-isekai'ed so it's pretty much just an intro chapter before the actual story starts.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Sakurazuka posted:

New season must be bad if we're already at the 'litigating what counts as an isekai' part of the thread.

Metallic Rouge isn't out yet & we're all getting antsy

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Silver2195 posted:

It’s a particular kind of bad fantasy, though. Older Western “Extruded Fantasy Product” of the Sword of Shannara sort doesn’t have video game mechanics, and while it basically has Heroes and Demon Kings, it lacks the obnoxious pseudo-self-awareness implied by using those specific terms.

Sword of Shannara was shamelessly derivative, if Terry Brooks had been aware of the RPG stereotypes we see in lovely fantasy animes I'm sure he would have used them. :v:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Pretty sure Shannara started out as literal LotR fanfiction

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Season will be good once Monday rolls around

https://twitter.com/NetflixAnime/status/1744418691981177214?s=20

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Silver2195 posted:

In general, if the setting has video game mechanics and/or capital-H Heroes and Demon Kings, it’s garbage.

yeah, like frieren :twisted:

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 days!)

gonna check out villainess lv99

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

theres almost always this little window between week 1 and week 2 where all the isekai shows have already aired but most of the interesting shows havent yet

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

speaking of good fantasy

the first ep of sengoku youko was cool. the world they're setting up is fun and i really liked the off-kilter vibe of everything. absolutely in for more of this.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

symbolic posted:

i willed it into existence. praise be

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

symbolic posted:

i willed it into existence. praise be

thought we had another hour, is it up

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

symbolic posted:

yup

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Southern Cassowary posted:

thought we had another hour, is it up

if you know where to look for it

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

GateOfD posted:

gonna check out villainess lv99

Maybe wait until episode 2 airs, episode 1 is pretty much just an intro and doesn't really get into the story or character interactions

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Oh hallelujah, a Mizukami anime that actually looks pretty good!

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

double 1st episodes an hour long would be just be the norm.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Mordja posted:

Oh hallelujah, a Mizukami anime that actually looks pretty good!

Planet With was good.

But yeah :rip: Lucifer & Biscuit Hammer :negative:

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

unsurprisingly, metallic rouge seems great

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

it was fun, that imagine dragons rear end insert song is bad though, thats my only real complaint

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Tales of Woe posted:

it was fun, that imagine dragons rear end insert song is bad though, thats my only real complaint

it ruled actually, and i despise ID

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Julias posted:

Planet With was good.

But yeah :rip: Lucifer & Biscuit Hammer :negative:

Helck was also pretty rough in places as was S1 of Faraway Paladin. We'll likely add Medalist to the list as well.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

i'm ambivalent - the song is eh but it's a vibe that works for the show

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

At one point people were using the term “native isekai” for those kinds of series, but the oxymoronic nature of the term provoked a backlash. Not sure what a better term is. Dorakue fantasy?

Just call it Dragon Quest fantasy. Over half the time, that's literally and precisely what it is.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Villainess lv99 was fun for just the basic setup.
I like the deadpan-ness of the MC

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
i'm a fan of the term video game bullshit

both in general and in reference to storytelling from fantasy web novels and the like that borrows a little too liberally from RPGs

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

metallic rouge's a show that would have come out in 2007 and if somebody mentioned the title in 2024 you'd go, i watched that, i think.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022

Parallax posted:

metallic rouge's a show that would have come out in 2007 and if somebody mentioned the title in 2024 you'd go, i watched that, i think.

Innocent Venus :hai:

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i watched kurau phantom memory recently and that show is pretty dull sadly. bones not infallible at this type of thing. this one already seems more fun though

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Parallax posted:

I went and looked at what aired in 2007, to figure out what that would be for me, and I think I actually have pretty strong memories of almost everything I watched from that year? I mean, not necessarily good memories, but strong ones.

Closest is probably Bamboo Blade? Heroic Age technically the better fit, but that one was so boring I don't think I finished.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

OnimaruXLR posted:

i'm a fan of the term video game bullshit

both in general and in reference to storytelling from fantasy web novels and the like that borrows a little too liberally from RPGs

LitRPG is what the genre's typically called when it starts throwing stats and UIs in otherwise typical fantasy. Idk what to call it for Manga or anime.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Xelkelvos posted:

LitRPG is what the genre's typically called when it starts throwing stats and UIs in otherwise typical fantasy. Idk what to call it for Manga or anime.

Garbage

:v:

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

I went and looked at what aired in 2007, to figure out what that would be for me, and I think I actually have pretty strong memories of almost everything I watched from that year? I mean, not necessarily good memories, but strong ones.

Closest is probably Bamboo Blade? Heroic Age technically the better fit, but that one was so boring I don't think I finished.

Sisters of Wellber is probably the closest style-wise, in addition to being on the "I'm not actually sure if I watched it" bubble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
What the hell is that