Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Forrest on Fire posted:

Pete's worst move was Jamaal Adams right? Their drafts have been pretty solid and most of their biggest names are off the books next year. They can save $16m in space if they cut Adams in his last year and they've got a lot of premium positions locked up on rookie deals including LT and CB.

They're not perfectly run and mistakes have been made but I think this is one of the best openings if not the best this off-season.

Jamal Adams played well enough his first season in Seattle that he got locked up long term. The games he was out to injury that season there was a noticeable difference in how Seattle's defense played. It was just after he got his deal that he just sort of... stopped playing like he used to.

Geno's contract is also written in a way that is supposed to be team friendly, in that a lot of what he makes is based on his playing time, so he's betting against himself. He actually has a pretty significant cap savings if he's cut.

On the WR front, Lockett is clearly the odd guy out. He's diminished significantly from his previous years :( his cap savings is much higher if he's cut compared to DK. I know lot of Seahawks fans hate DK because he gets hot headed and causes stupid penalties, but it's part of his game and he's still an insane athlete. Plus you only save $1.5M if he's cut.

These are simple GM moves that any competent GM can figure out, nothing like anything New Orleans has faced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Have you considered signing everyone to 5 year extensions full of void years and converting all of their base salary into guaranteed roster bonuses in the future?

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Master Stur posted:

He went 7-9 twice then 0-5 to end his falcons tenure though. I guess of all possible retreads you could do worse but I feel like his HC success was due largely to Kyle being the OC there. Nothing about him really screams hot commodity as an HC IMO rather than just being one of them guys who should stay a good to great DC

I don't disagree, I'm just saying for people who aren't us he seems like a solid stable option who had a lot of success and then just sort of fumbled it at the end there.

seiferguy posted:

Jamal Adams played well enough his first season in Seattle that he got locked up long term. The games he was out to injury that season there was a noticeable difference in how Seattle's defense played. It was just after he got his deal that he just sort of... stopped playing like he used to.

Geno's contract is also written in a way that is supposed to be team friendly, in that a lot of what he makes is based on his playing time, so he's betting against himself. He actually has a pretty significant cap savings if he's cut.

On the WR front, Lockett is clearly the odd guy out. He's diminished significantly from his previous years :( his cap savings is much higher if he's cut compared to DK. I know lot of Seahawks fans hate DK because he gets hot headed and causes stupid penalties, but it's part of his game and he's still an insane athlete. Plus you only save $1.5M if he's cut.

These are simple GM moves that any competent GM can figure out, nothing like anything New Orleans has faced.

Dont cut any of the WRs, you can absolutely trade those dudes.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Relentlessboredomm posted:

DK I can see an easy trade target. Lockett I'm unsure on being he's a shadow of his former self. But then again, late career Julio Jones was traded, so anything is possible (Julio is/was also better than Lockett though)

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

seiferguy posted:

The price they gave up for a box safety, even if he's playing well, was always ridiculous.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

Yeah, Lockett especially is the perfect blend of too old to keep around for a rebuild/still good enough to get reasonable value in a trade. Maybe they can't get back the second they spent on Williams, but I don't think a third would be unreasonable.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Titans have requests in with a ton of guys I’m not interested in so far. Aaron Glenn, Antonio pierce, mike Kafka, mike Macdonald. Also have requests in with frank smith and Brian Callahan, both cool with me.

Would be cool to hire an offense guy so we don’t have to go through the constant rigamarole of having to replace our OC like under vrabel

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Mike Vrabel is not part of the Belichick tree.

Also the takeaway from those stats is that it's really hard to win in the NFL if you don't have a QB.

Yeah, he was drafted by Cowher

OneMoreTime posted:

NFC's Mike Tomlin got sort of fired, real Mike Tomlin watch out

Rumors are Tomlin may take a coaching break, but the Steelers will never fire him. Especially after the last 3 games coming on the heels of a near total meltdown.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Forrest on Fire posted:

Pete's worst move was Jamaal Adams right? Their drafts have been pretty solid and most of their biggest names are off the books next year. They can save $16m in space if they cut Adams in his last year and they've got a lot of premium positions locked up on rookie deals including LT and CB.

They're not perfectly run and mistakes have been made but I think this is one of the best openings if not the best this off-season.

Pete has made tons of bad moves. A lot, trades and contracts.

I’ll do an effort post on it later but for a teaser please remember Percy Harvin and Jimmy Graham lol

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

mcmagic posted:

The price they gave up for a box safety, even if he's playing well, was always ridiculous.

He lead the team in sacks the first year which makes me chuckle. 3 more than the next closest guy! They paid him a bunch of money to basically be a run stopping blitz guy. Then he fell apart and couldn’t even do that.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I don’t hate the idea of Jim Harbaugh to Seattle or Pete to Michigan.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

General Dog posted:

There’s no chance Harbaugh goes to Seattle with Pete Carroll hanging around in an oversight role.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

General Dog posted:

Pete's wayyy too old to go anywhere and if he's in the advisor role at Seattle they won't hire Harbs bc those two do not like each other.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I’ll do an effort post on it later but for a teaser please remember Percy Harvin and Jimmy Graham lol

Yep! He absolutely has and as a Cardinals fan I've enjoyed Seattle rake step their way out of being the class of the NFC. The roster, despite that, is pretty solid and young at key positions.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Master Stur posted:

He went 7-9 twice then 0-5 to end his falcons tenure though. I guess of all possible retreads you could do worse but I feel like his HC success was due largely to Kyle being the OC there. Nothing about him really screams hot commodity as an HC IMO rather than just being one of them guys who should stay a good to great DC
I think they had gotten into some cap trouble and Shanny got hired away to be a HC. For a more recent example, look at what happened to the Titans when Arthur Smith got hired away and the Titans hit some really bad injuries - people still love and respect Vrable even if he had two losing seasons his last two years. Its a team effort ect except this case is the coaching + training staff/team doctors + front office - I dont know if Quinn is a bad coach who lucked into Shanny being a great OC and their injuries were nota problem... or a decent coach whose situation went to poo poo and he got fired.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Black Lighter posted:

Yeah, Lockett especially is the perfect blend of too old to keep around for a rebuild/still good enough to get reasonable value in a trade. Maybe they can't get back the second they spent on Williams, but I don't think a third would be unreasonable.

I don't want to spend a third on Lockett anymore, but at the same time I'd take him right now for the Chiefs. He has a track record of at least not embarrassing himself.

Pete's wayyy too old to go anywhere and if he's in the advisor role at Seattle they won't hire Harbs bc those two do not like each other.

Have you considered Michigan really likes their old people? Obviously not happening but that's the place where you could imagine it happens. Old rear end Pete might be too fun for them though.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The Jets should bring Pete home.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Really hoping Seattle isn't making a play for Belichick.

Other people that I would not like to see as head coaches, anywhere, really:

Matt Patricia
Josh McDaniels
Willie Taggart
Adam Gase
Joe Judge
Urban Meyer
Jon Gruden

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
I know everyone is rightly talking about the hot big news, but I just wanted to take a quick second to respond to my yes man sirianni hot take. The reason it'd be different this time and not just another yes man hire is because his initial hire was a crime of passion immediately after the headbutting with pederson and lurie/howie have seen the results of hiring a nobody that doesn't bring anything to the table in the worst collapse in franchise history. So that is why they need to loving fire him now before the bucs game so we can start getting to work on one of the many great candidates this offseason instead of keeping this terd for another season. Hell, make patricia the interim head coach for the playoff game, it'd be funny. Of course leave him in tampa afterwards.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
What if Seattle is after a different Pete acolyte?

Steve Sarkisian

Asproigerosis posted:

I know everyone is rightly talking about the hot big news, but I just wanted to take a quick second to respond to my yes man sirianni hot take. The reason it'd be different this time and not just another yes man hire is because his initial hire was a crime of passion immediately after the headbutting with pederson and lurie/howie have seen the results of hiring a nobody that doesn't bring anything to the table in the worst collapse in franchise history. So that is why they need to loving fire him now before the bucs game so we can start getting to work on one of the many great candidates this offseason instead of keeping this terd for another season. Hell, make patricia the interim head coach for the playoff game, it'd be funny. Of course leave him in tampa afterwards.

I approve of this message.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Pete would make a good Michigan Man for sure

he can live in Holland with the rest of the retirees who go to bed at 9pm

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Ornery and Hornery posted:

oh my god you've been bitching about that second rounder nonstop for weeks

just sit back and enjoy yourself, you got what you wanted. we haven't been on the head coach carousel for ages, I guess it's been too long since people saw how bad things can get

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Wink is going to go to the Eagles and own the Giants for years lol

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Let me tell you about spending a second rounder on a thoroughly washed Julio Jones,

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
as what

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I wonder how unusual this is. Bad coordinators get fired but good ones get hired away so it's pretty unusual for a guy to stick around a long time, I feel like without doing any research at all

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Losing a mid-second round pick is not a franchise backbreaking move in the slightest lmao. As someone who watches the Seattle Mariners, I can appreciate a front office that makes risky moves to acquire players mid-season to make a run instead of "but think of our draft :qq: " and it not working out.

Anyway, probably some of the things I'll miss about Pete:

- Dude ruled at taking other teams' unused players and UDFAs and turning them into excellent dudes. Marshawn Lynch, Cliff Avril, Michael Bennett, Quandre Diggs are examples of getting dudes other teams didnt' want and being huge contributors. Then we had Doug Baldwin, Poona Ford, George Fant, etc. in terms of UDFAs that were starters.
- He was loved by the locker room for the most part. You hear about coaches being military sergeants, he wasn't that guy. He let players be themselves for the most part, which is in general why it seemed to me like the Seahawks locker room had some of the more wild stories come out.
- Somehow always managed to win games. Christ so many come from behind victories that killed my heart.

What I will not miss:
- The penalties. His teams were always the most undisciplined. Top 5 in penalties this year, and that was a trend most of his tenure.
- Costly timeouts / challenges. I think the timeout issue was more a problem of Russell Wilson since that became an issue getting playcalls out when he was at Denver, but team often went into the last drive missing timeouts they had to burn. He also was bad at challenges (which, apparently he was fine losing challenges on easy calls, and would use it as a defacto timeout).
- The conspiracy theories. He never came out and said it, it was all behind the scenes stuff.

His time was coming up. Younger coaches were figuring him out. Sean McVay could beat him with a half-decimated roster.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
The Pete Carroll one is interesting, because it definitely doesn't feel like the typical You're Fired this thread gets. I can't remember the last time an NFL head coach has felt like they're just stepping out peacefully instead of being thrown out when it all goes to poo poo.

seiferguy posted:

His time was coming up. Younger coaches were figuring him out. Sean McVay could beat him with a half-decimated roster.

Also his most interesting trait -- Scorigami mastery. Carroll both put together more scorigami games than any head coach in NFL history and, to my knowledge, won every single one of them. If Carroll could get the game to a score that had never existed before it was gonna be a win every time.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

seiferguy posted:

Yeah, this on balance is probably how I feel about it. I didn't mind taking swings on players, but things had gotten stagnant schematically. Everything ends sometime, but I'll still mourn when it happens. What a hell of a run.

Aside from a single year of Jim Mora Jr in 2008, the Seahawks have had either Pete or Holmgren as their coach since 1999. We're not used to coaching uncertainty, and if the org doesn't have a better plan than Dan Quinn then I suppose we'd better get acquainted with the carousel.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Redeye Flight posted:

The Pete Carroll one is interesting, because it definitely doesn't feel like the typical You're Fired this thread gets. I can't remember the last time an NFL head coach has felt like they're just stepping out peacefully instead of being thrown out when it all goes to poo poo.

Arians stepped down and stayed on in an advisory role. I think he lost a power struggle with Brady or got sick of the bullshit but either way it was pretty peaceful.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.
Pete Carroll was fun but I agree wholeheartedly with this:

https://twitter.com/coachvass/status/1718020936912294027?s=46&t=4v69OlVJpK1h7pgGOGqqoA

It’s not his fault per se, but this is a lot of the offensive explosion over the past decade

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
TBH I'm surprised that so many people are surprised that Carroll is out. I feel like there was chatter here and there the entire season about the game passing him by, and how he was going to gracefully walk away from coaching after this season, and now...that's exactly what's happening? Did I imagine all of those posts?

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Not NFL, but now Saban is out. Do these things come in 3s? Bill Belichick, come on down?

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

shirts and skins posted:

Not NFL, but now Saban is out. Do these things come in 3s? Bill Belichick, come on down?

When's Bill's birthday? Saban and Carroll are 72, Bill's 71

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Pete Carroll was basically allowed a press conference on the Seahawks behalf so this sounds like as amicable of an exit as possible.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Today is the day that Monday should have been.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Redeye Flight posted:

Trolling through Wikipedia, a surprising number of good coaches retired on their own terms. Holmgren, Dungey, Cowher, Gibbs, Parcells. I thought there would be a lot more control freaks holding onto the job for dear life even when it was clear the ride was over.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

shirts and skins posted:

poo poo I hadn't been following the college thread/news to avoid Michigan trolling and/or Michigan posting in either direction.

This is a rather large happening to say the least, kinda late in the coaching cycle for Bama.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Saban retiring is actually huge for this thread.

Like, go to the Raiders or go to Alabama?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole
Pete Carroll was the Seattle Seahawks, and this move is very much a "we forgot we're the Seattle Seahawks" move.