Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Back off from Jim. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Well, you guys got what you wanted. Time to see if there's anything like a succession plan. I thought it was probably time to make a change too, but coaches can be a HELL of a lot worse than Pete.

Hats off to him, this has been by far the most successful run any head coach has ever had in Seattle sports.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
I'll always use any excuse to go back and read the LA Mag profile of Pete and this is a better one than I usually get.

https://lamag.com/news/23-reasons-why-a-profile-of-pete-carroll-does

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

I did not want this, but I am not all torn up about it either. The next HC in SEA will be an interesting hire, I am personally hoping for an offensive minded one but we will see.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
It was a strange feeling getting used to the level of success that the Pete Era brought. It will be sad going through some jim-mora-trash years, but there's certainly worse options than Dan Quinn.

Please don't let it be worse than Dan Quinn.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

It was time. Please no Dan Quinn. Ben Johnson plzzzz

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
All I want is a coach who can beat Sean McVay. Year after year, the Rams can be down every single dude due to injury and McVay still figures out how to beat us, or in last year's case, force us to OT on a completely broken team. Pete could never figure out the guy.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Carroll's most important stat survived.

Pete Carroll formed more scorigami games than any other coach in NFL history... and won every single one of them.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.
Holy poo poo I didn't think they'd actually do it

Redeye Flight posted:

Carroll's most important stat survived.

Pete Carroll formed more scorigami games than any other coach in NFL history... and won every single one of them.

A proud record to hang his hat on :patriot: :hawksin:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

seiferguy posted:

All I want is a coach who can beat Sean McVay. Year after year, the Rams can be down every single dude due to injury and McVay still figures out how to beat us, or in last year's case, force us to OT on a completely broken team. Pete could never figure out the guy.

Big Bill can beat McVay....

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

seiferguy posted:

The only way to beat him, is hire him.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Failson posted:

The only way to beat him, is hire him.

McVay has been threatening early retirement for like 3 years now. I'm just waiting for him to finally pull the trigger tbh

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Arthur Smith became available and Jody Allen can’t help herself in liking a man with a stache.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
https://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/s/PWKLJ49UL0

gently caress. Build that man a statue.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
My awful future horror scenario of Pete and Tomlin trading places is 50% complete :gonk:

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Nick Sabans available I guess.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Mustached Demon posted:

Nick Sabans available I guess.

I know this is a joke but he retired, that’s the opposite of being available.

Edna Mode
Sep 24, 2005

Bullshit, that's last year's Fall collection!

I think Pete's new role should just be getting the team hyped at practices. And throwing the challenge flag at games.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

All you Seahawks fans who were calling for him to be fired are monsters.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Edna Mode posted:

I think Pete's new role should just be getting the team hyped at practices. And throwing the challenge flag at games.

Pete's biggest mistake was never hiring someone to hide the challenge flag from him.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I know this is a joke but he retired, that’s the opposite of being available.

Michael Jordan retired 3 times.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Mustached Demon posted:

Michael Jordan retired 3 times.

Was he 72 years old any of those times? Saban is done.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/vountee/status/1745232293512245432?t=XLvZ8q6duQ5LF3jnjUqkUg&s=19

Also probably Wagner and maybe Lockett's last game too.

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice
if it's any consolation i hurt my knee pretty bad at the stadium this past sunday

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

What in the world is today

I have no idea what they're going to do to replace Pete in Seattle, but it has a high likelihood of being pretty terrible.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

EmbryoSteve posted:

It was time. Please no Dan Quinn. Ben Johnson plzzzz

Allen trust need to back up da bank truck for Ben imo

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

harperdc posted:

I have no idea what they're going to do to replace Pete in Seattle, but it has a high likelihood of being pretty terrible.

introducing your new seahawks head coach, dan lanning

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

we've gotta demolish that stadium. it's the only way to be sure

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

harperdc posted:

:hawksin:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Mr. Fix It posted:

Extremely confused but not unpleasant

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Mr. Fix It posted:

Had this thought earlier today.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
This is definitely how I expected Pete's tenure here to end. The guy is beloved and was probably the true face of the franchise for the last decade. He was also a huge part of the healthy franchise they built here and him staying connected to it makes perfect sense. The team just got stagnant and really needs to hit the reset button, and with him being at the end of his career they need to start trying new things and a new coach is going to have to be part of that. Hell, dude went out with the oddest winning season too. Sad to see him go and agree with the decision.

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
I fuckin love Pete Carroll. He coached with such love and joy and showed that you can succeed that way.

It was time for him to step away but I wish it could have been voluntary. Not that I disagree with the decision. Look at the big balls on Jody.

Any word on what this means for Schneider?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Bring back Seahawks Legend Jim Zorn.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

The correct call, if anything I'm shocked Jody made it and they didn't sugarcoat it

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

DancingMachine posted:

I fuckin love Pete Carroll. He coached with such love and joy and showed that you can succeed that way.

It was time for him to step away but I wish it could have been voluntary. Not that I disagree with the decision. Look at the big balls on Jody.

Any word on what this means for Schneider?

Schneider has reportedly been looking at new HC for 2 months

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

shirts and skins posted:

we've gotta demolish that state. it's the only way to be sure

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!

The full 10 minute opening of that press conference is great end to end. So much gratitude and optimism in the face of loss. He makes it pretty clear that it wasn't his decision and he doesn't agree but he understands.
He also makes clear that Schneider is fully in charge now.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I cannot deny he was a winning coach and built a very good team early on, but his handling of Wilson, making him separate and above criticism from the rest of the team, probably put a halt to Seattle having a real legacy or dynasty.

I doubt there was ever going to be an optimal time to drop him. He chose It happened today, we just gotta hope for the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

seiferguy posted:

McVay has been threatening early retirement for like 3 years now. I'm just waiting for him to finally pull the trigger tbh

That narrative was more of a media hype train than anything.

I knew after last season that there was no way in hell he was going to retire. It's not in his DNA (or I assume any other HC) to go out on a losing note like that.

All HC's have huge egos, and they all want to build as big of as a legacy as possible before they shut it down (unless it's for health or family reasons).

Expect him back in 2024.