Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Niwrad posted:

It's not looked upon well to bring back a coach who is 10-24, runs an outdated defense, spectacularly blows late leads, has no input on the offense, and is terrible at hiring assistants. Like what does Eberflus do well?

To be a little fair to Eberflus, would those blown leads have happened if the offense could actually do something that allowed the defense to spend more time off the field, instead of being burnt out by the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hit Man
Mar 6, 2008

I hope after I die people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

I don't know if the Bears will luck into a generational QB. That would require them to actually select said QB. Who's to say they will not select another Trubisky? This story is as old as time, it writes itself.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

I mean, if they draft Williams or Daniels (yes, I know I have my own issues with him, but whatever), I’ll feel a hell of a lot better about it then when they drafted Mitch.

Honestly I don’t know enough about Drake Maye, but he kinda seems like Mitch 2.0 to me?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Canned Sunshine posted:

To be a little fair to Eberflus, would those blown leads have happened if the offense could actually do something that allowed the defense to spend more time off the field, instead of being burnt out by the end.

He hired the offensive coordinator! Eberflus wanted to install the Green Bay offense here.

Hit Man posted:

I don't know if the Bears will luck into a generational QB. That would require them to actually select said QB. Who's to say they will not select another Trubisky? This story is as old as time, it writes itself.

They either bring Fields back for his 3rd OC in 4 years. Or they draft a QB who will play 1 year under a lame duck coach and then have to learn a whole new system the following year. The franchise never ever learns.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Niwrad posted:

He hired the offensive coordinator! Eberflus wanted to install the Green Bay offense here.

Sure, but they just fully cleaned house on the offensive side, so even if you had gotten rid of Getsy sometime during the season, I’m not sure they do any better at keeping the offense on the field and the defense off of it.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Canned Sunshine posted:

Sure, but they just fully cleaned house on the offensive side, so even if you had gotten rid of Getsy sometime during the season, I’m not sure they do any better at keeping the offense on the field and the defense off of it.

Why was he hired in the first place?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

bears defensive coordinator nick saban

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Niwrad posted:

Why was he hired in the first place?

Because Eberflus thought he had potential? I don’t know. People make mistakes or don’t pan out all the time.

Are you perfect at your job?

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

R.D. Mangles posted:

agreed so long as pete carroll is OC
edit: belichick special teams

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Canned Sunshine posted:

Because Eberflus thought he had potential? I don’t know. People make mistakes or don’t pan out all the time.

I mean 2 other coaches had to be fired for doing sketchy poo poo during the season. Hiring competent coaches is a pretty important part of being a head coach and he seems comically bad at it. Why do we expect his 2nd and 3rd choices for these jobs to be better?

What is it Eberflus is good at? Not looking for perfect, but what traits besides "the vibes are good at Halas Hall" does he bring to the table? They were bad in every facet of the game.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
All this means to me is that, Poles is willing to die with Eberflus, he had a chance at a clean break, but this is his mans who he believes in.

Okay, I personally like what Poles has done outside of a couple of things, so we will see, it either works or he gets fired.

Tyree
Sep 11, 2003

STRETCH

STRETCH

STRETCH

R.D. Mangles posted:

Eberflus, new head coach of Alabama

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Niwrad posted:

I mean 2 other coaches had to be fired for doing sketchy poo poo during the season. Hiring competent coaches is a pretty important part of being a head coach and he seems comically bad at it. Why do we expect his 2nd and 3rd choices for these jobs to be better?

What is it Eberflus is good at? Not looking for perfect, but what traits besides "the vibes are good at Halas Hall" does he bring to the table? They were bad in every facet of the game.

Good Defense by the end of the year despite starting a poo poo ton of rookies and 2nd year players?

Growth from the defensive players.

Like I don't disagree that I think he should have been fired, but to act as if he did nothing is a bit silly.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
Low-key chatter starting that Fat Mike might lose his job if the Cowboys blow it against the Packers, and just lmao if the Packers cause him to get fired again.

Also, as someone who delights in the pain of Seattle-area sports fans, this has been a great week.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Dexo posted:

Good Defense by the end of the year despite starting a poo poo ton of rookies and 2nd year players?

Growth from the defensive players.

Like I don't disagree that I think he should have been fired, but to act as if he did nothing is a bit silly.

Yeah, the defense looked pretty good against Josh Dobbs and Taylor Heinicke. Got absolutely dogwalked by any team with a pulse which included Jordan Love in the final week. We might have different definitions of good, but the Packers didn't punt once in that game.

No one here or at Halas Hall thinks Eberflus is a coach who can win a Super Bowl. He's back because he's cheap and doesn't ruffle feathers. That's what they care about and I don't know why some fans have such a low bar for the Bears.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Niwrad posted:

Yeah, the defense looked pretty good against Josh Dobbs and Taylor Heinicke. Got absolutely dogwalked by any team with a pulse which included Jordan Love in the final week. We might have different definitions of good, but the Packers didn't punt once in that game.

No one here or at Halas Hall thinks Eberflus is a coach who can win a Super Bowl. He's back because he's cheap and doesn't ruffle feathers. That's what they care about and I don't know why some fans have such a low bar for the Bears.

I've watched one of the best defenses in NFL history get dogwalked before. Sometimes you just get worked. They held the Browns to 20, is one of the 3 times they were held to sub 20 or less this year.

They held the Lions to 13, who have a top 5 offense this year.

Anyway.

If you want to yell about Trace Armstrong lol

https://twitter.com/ADannehy/status/1745199274223137087

Can't wait for Kliff Kingsbury Bears OC

:barf:

The Chicago Trace Armstrongs.

Mirotic
Mar 8, 2013

My friend just texted me that Poles said in his presser he didn't even talk to Jim Harbaugh. Smdh

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

What is he supposed to say lmao.

Like even if he did talk to Harbs, he is going to say he didn't.

Like people talk about him being a Lame Duck, and that being a bad thing. Wanna know the surest way to cut the balls and legs from under a Coach, tell the media, "yeah I was trying to hire a replacement"

Like if the Cubs didn't get Craig Counsell, do you think Jed at Cubs convention would have been like, yeah I tried to hire Craig, but it didn't work out, while sitting next to David Ross lol.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
So now that we know Flus is back but new OC, does that change anyone's opinion on what to do with the first overall?

I want Caleb + whoever of Nabers/Odunze/Verse falls to 9, and don't even care about trading for 3 firsts or whatever.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
I think its overwhelmingly likely they draft a QB with the 1st overall pick, but it also sounded like Poles is open to the idea of drafting a QB AND keeping Fields, which is the true Chaos Option.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Kingsbury makes some sense since it'll be a coach reclamation project which fits the 1-year window (plus Trace Armstrong ties). I'd still put my money on Pep Hamilton as he was apparently the second choice behind Getsy.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Mike N Eich posted:

I think its overwhelmingly likely they draft a QB with the 1st overall pick, but it also sounded like Poles is open to the idea of drafting a QB AND keeping Fields, which is the true Chaos Option.

the content will be amazing.

Although I guess it'd be nice to have a backup QB that is like actually worth having people yelling that they should start.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

trevorreznik posted:

So now that we know Flus is back but new OC, does that change anyone's opinion on what to do with the first overall?

I want Caleb + whoever of Nabers/Odunze/Verse falls to 9, and don't even care about trading for 3 firsts or whatever.

If you're keeping Eberflus, they should probably just stick with Fields. Wasting the 1st pick on a QB who will need to learn from a whole new staff after his rookie year isn't ideal. Basically burning a year of development.

I'd rather just get some future 1st round picks that can hopefully pan out high enough for when you do bring in a new staff and QB. I don't know though, the lame-duck coach situation never works out no matter what you do. Not a lot of great options at this point.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Largely it comes down to the evaluation of the players.

If you have Caleb Williams or Drake Maye as being that dude, it doesn't loving matter. It will work out(until like the Colts you drive your stud QB to retire).

Justin Herbert has had a trash environment, where they fired everyone after year one. And then hired a defensive coach who sucks at defense.

Cream always rises to the top.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Dexo posted:

If you have Caleb Williams or Drake Maye as being that dude, it doesn't loving matter. It will work out(until like the Colts you drive your stud QB to retire).

Justin Herbert has had a trash environment, where they fired everyone after year one. And then hired a defensive coach who sucks at defense.

not in chicago, where quarterbacks go to die

Mirotic
Mar 8, 2013

Dexo posted:

What is he supposed to say lmao.

Like even if he did talk to Harbs, he is going to say he didn't.

Like people talk about him being a Lame Duck, and that being a bad thing. Wanna know the surest way to cut the balls and legs from under a Coach, tell the media, "yeah I was trying to hire a replacement"

Like if the Cubs didn't get Craig Counsell, do you think Jed at Cubs convention would have been like, yeah I tried to hire Craig, but it didn't work out, while sitting next to David Ross lol.

Yeah, I know, I know. I'm just aggravated with this loving team right now.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

R.D. Mangles posted:

not in chicago, where quarterbacks go to die

Or it's just where previous GM's have continually picked or traded for, or signed bad QB's.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Dexo posted:

The Chargers are 31-36 since drafting Herbert. Just finished a 5-12 season. Wouldn't say their strategy is much of a success.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

Dexo posted:

Or it's just where previous GM's have continually picked or traded for, or signed bad QB's.

It's a question that's impossible to settle but looking back at the QBs in the last 20 years....Grossman (bad), Orton (a 4th round pick who overachieved), Cutler (ehhhhh I don't think you can say they 'ruined' him but they didn't surround him with great guys), Trubisky (bad), Fields (incomplete story, definitely done dirty by coaching, but perhaps limited in some key ways)

Niwrad posted:

The Chargers are 31-36 since drafting Herbert. Just finished a 5-12 season. Wouldn't say their strategy is much of a success.

Sure, but Herbert is really good and its obvious he's really good and it didn't seem fatal to his development

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Canned Sunshine posted:

I am not one of the 32 top members of my profession.

I didn’t watch the Bears press conference but it sounds like the same poo poo as always and has me extremely depressed. There’s a difference between “Eberflus learning on the job” and “this guy has been here two years, for every positive thing you could say I can come up with 3 negative things which are equally or more important w/r/t winning football games”

The snap assessment when he was hired was “overpromoted decent coordinator” and that’s the most generous thing you could say 2 seasons later

GNU Order fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jan 11, 2024

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Niwrad posted:

They are about to get Harbaugh, and have a star QB.

They'll be fine.

My point was, if you have a QB, they will survive any front office or coaching changes that need to be made.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Mike N Eich posted:

It's a question that's impossible to settle but looking back at the QBs in the last 20 years....Grossman (bad), Orton (a 4th round pick who overachieved), Cutler (ehhhhh I don't think you can say they 'ruined' him but they didn't surround him with great guys), Trubisky (bad), Fields (incomplete story, definitely done dirty by coaching, but perhaps limited in some key ways)

You are not going to develop a QB with bad coaches, bad line, and no weapons. The organization will never figure this out.

Dexo posted:

My point was, if you have a QB, they will survive any front office or coaching changes that need to be made.

And win 5 games. At some point wins matter more than some stats and a lofty PFF rating.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

Niwrad posted:

You are not going to develop a QB with bad coaches, bad line, and no weapons. The organization will never figure this out.

And win 5 games. At some point wins matter more than some stats and a lofty PFF rating.

I don't think the line is that bad and I don't think they have no weapons. And both of those things will be markedly better by next season.

Offensive coaching? That remains to be seen.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Niwrad posted:

Herbert was hurt for most of this year lmao. And even when he was playing, it was pretty loving clear his finger was hosed.

I said nothing about PFF but go off, feel free to ignore context and just look at WINZ

Ummagumma
Jul 19, 2004
skydog

Canned Sunshine posted:

I mean, if they draft Williams or Daniels (yes, I know I have my own issues with him, but whatever), I’ll feel a hell of a lot better about it then when they drafted Mitch.

Honestly I don’t know enough about Drake Maye, but he kinda seems like Mitch 2.0 to me?

I'm not a big college football guy either, but from what I understand scouts regard Maye much higher than they did Trubisky coming out of college.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Mike N Eich posted:

I don't think the line is that bad and I don't think they have no weapons.

Jones - average. fine. good enough but can be replaced
Davis - rear end
Patrick - super rear end
Jenkins - my son
Wright - my ROTY

Moore - the savior of this team
Mooney - disappeared now that he’s not the only reciever. rear end this year
Scott - rookie. fast. Might be rear end
Jones - Devin Hester At WR levels of rear end
Kmet - big. He’s ok.

And for fun let’s complete it
Herbert - ok. hurt? rear end.
Foreman - a fun story when he gets his good games. rear end on aggregate
Roschon - rookie. spent all season wanting him to be better. Probably not rear end

Over half that list is below league average. I would rather replace them all than keep them all.

GNU Order fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jan 11, 2024

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

GNU Order posted:

Davis - rear end
Patrick - super rear end
Jenkins - my son
Wright - my ROTY

Kmet - big. He’s ok.

Freeman - a fun story when he gets his good games. rear end on aggregate
Roschon - rookie. spent all season wanting him to be better. Probably not rear end

Over half that list is below league average. I would rather replace them all than keep them all.

Jenkins (injure-proneness aside) and Wright are studs and great pieces to build around. Patrick and Davis are gone, I fully expect them to be replaced by next season. Jones is the only question mark on what they may do at the position.

Moore is a stud. Mooney is gone. Scott is...well we don't know, it wasn't amazing but he got very few balls thrown his way. Kmet is solidly above average, IMO.

The running backs - whatever. Johnson is at least replacement level. I don't really think it's super important who you have back there as long as the Line is fine.

The pieces that are good are young and you can build off of them. And they will, I mean, there's no chance they don't add more to the Oline and get more receiving options. There isn't some desperation move to tear it down and build it up again.

The more I think about it, the more I'm like "gently caress it, draft Caleb Williams and hope and expect greatness"

I guarantee if thats what they do, in 5 months, Bears fandom will be fine and chill and excited and stop gnashing their teeth so much. It sucks what's gone on with Fields, but the roster is moving in the right direction and I think Williams is a bad rear end prospect. Roll the dice.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Mike N Eich posted:

I don't think the line is bad and I don't think they have no weapons. And both of those things will be markedly better by next season.

Offensive coaching? That remains to be seen.

They were one of the worst pass blocking lines in football and need to sign a G, C, and maybe LT (don't look at how bad Poles' OL signings have been). DJ Moore is terrific, but he's the only legit receiver on this team now. And we were told those things would be markedly better this season, yet the offense was just as bad (recurring theme over the last 30+ years).

Dexo posted:

I said nothing about PFF but go off, feel free to ignore context and just look at WINZ

Wins are all that matter. I don't give a gently caress about Gervon Dexter's pressure rate or whatever stat we're using to justify Poles knowing what he's doing. The context is this big, bad Bears defense couldn't even get the Packers to punt the ball once over 60 minutes. It's not nearly as good as some of you think.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

GNU Order posted:

Davis - rear end
Patrick - super rear end
Jenkins - my son
Wright - my ROTY

Kmet - big. He’s ok.

Freeman - a fun story when he gets his good games. rear end on aggregate

Jones really is underrated lol. Dude has been solid this year when healthy, except when facing Myles Garrett, but Myles Garrett has embarrassed some of the best LT's in the league

Kmet shocked me this year, far more optimistic about him. He showed me some catch radius and hands poo poo that I didn't think he had in him from his first few years in the league.

Tev, had a rough game against the Packers, but I like him I'd be interested to see if they move him back to the right, and move nate davis, or try and upgrade Davis. Davis was decent on the Titans, maybe he has a bounceback year, but it also sounds like that through injury and death in the family he had a rough end of the year.

Launch Patrick into the sun.

Sorry Whitehair buddy, you were great there for a bit, but age comes for us all.

I love Wright, dude is still learning technique and is doing impressive poo poo.

Luckily this draft is strong in the things that the Bears need. Odunze/Nabers and Moore gonna slap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Mirotic posted:

My friend just texted me that Poles said in his presser he didn't even talk to Jim Harbaugh. Smdh

Yes, and today he became MY GM