Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Second Hand Meat Mouth)

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
feels good ²b happy :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

FirstnameLastname posted:

feels good ²b happy :)

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
i have become even more autistic

Zodar
May 21, 2007

i am now enrolled in that compTIA A+ certification program everyone was talking about. come the end of May i will hopefully be more employable. i know people have reservations about the utility of that certification, but even an entry-level position in IT pays about twice as much as i make now (and my current industry is a dying machine whose employees are wear parts)

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Adding another 🖥️👈 icon for yet another computer toucher I've created

LuxuryLarva
Sep 8, 2023

Hot dude with a cool attitude.
I would really like a job touching a computer. I would touch a computer so good.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

LuxuryLarva posted:

I would really like a job touching a computer. I would touch a computer so good.

https://perscholas.org/

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

if you want it to be

i touch trees

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

got some big eyerolls visiting family tonight when they were like "lets leave up the christmas tree for a while longer it smells good" and i agreed but then started :words: about how the pine smell comes out when trees are stressed and dying lol nobody wants to hear that poo poo

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
just get an air freshener lol

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

if you want it to be

Charlatan Eschaton posted:

got some big eyerolls visiting family tonight when they were like "lets leave up the christmas tree for a while longer it smells good" and i agreed but then started :words: about how the pine smell comes out when trees are stressed and dying lol nobody wants to hear that poo poo

makes sense since the big piles of cut down trees smell a lot

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

tokin opposition posted:

Adding another 🖥️👈 icon for yet another computer toucher I've created

lol lmao

quote:

The information-technology sector grew by only 700 jobs over 2023, a drastic slowdown from the 267,000 jobs added in 2022, even as artificial intelligence and ChatGPT spawned huge interest from businesses.

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

if you want it to be

acer platanoides is a fun name to say

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Sometimes I wonder about the asexuality and autism overlap, thoughts?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

tokin opposition posted:

I think autistic people just tend to be more open about it, same with a lot of things. Harder to hide that and you're used to being weird and a social outcast anyway.

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

tokin opposition posted:

they overlap for me and I feel that my neurodivergence is a big part of it as well as my approach to gender (nb) and sexuality (pan).

I think that there are likely far more people on the asexual side of that spectrum but our overly sexualized society often makes that epiphany difficult to reach.

zooming out I think that autism/neurodivergence and all the letters of the identity soup overlap. maybe because realization of divergence in one respect might help a person recognize it in other ways, or even the other direction, not so much that we are just gayer, though that’s probably also true too

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

LuxuryLarva posted:

My autism wants a job with predictability and coziness and no requirement to ever leave my house but my ADHD wants a job where I’m on my feet and getting my hands dirty and building poo poo and constantly learning new things.

Maybe I just need to take up gardening in my spare time.

LuxuryLarva
Sep 8, 2023

tokin opposition posted:

I have no idea. Normally I love running trains.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia

tokin opposition posted:

i have become even more autistic

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Isn’t part of it that the sensations associated with sex can be very unpleasant for some autistic people?

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

unwantedplatypus posted:

Isn’t part of it that the sensations associated with sex can be very unpleasant for some autistic people?

:hmmyes: that makes sense

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

#goals

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
https://twitter.com/briggityboppity/status/1744806274766704799

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

tokin opposition posted:

Literally every asexual person I know is on the spectrum, for what that’s worth.

One of them just finds sex (or anything more than a light hug) way too intense. Another one just has an almost non-existent libido and never falls for people that hard.

I also know some extremely horny NDs. It’s a land of contrasts.

LuxuryLarva
Sep 8, 2023

ProperGanderPusher posted:

Literally every asexual person I know is on the spectrum, for what that’s worth.

One of them just finds sex (or anything more than a light hug) way too intense. Another one just has an almost non-existent libido and never falls for people that hard.

I also know some extremely horny NDs. It’s a land of contrasts.

Sounds like a lot of divergence.

euroshopper
Aug 14, 2021

unwantedplatypus posted:

this is it for me ya. i kinda desire a relationship but the idea of actually being intimate with another person makes me very uncomfortable

euroshopper
Aug 14, 2021
also i don't understand how neurotypicals get the desire to gently caress random strangers they see on a sidewalk. it's really hard for me to develop crushes that are deeper than "this person has a cute face"

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

euroshopper posted:

also i don't understand how neurotypicals get the desire to gently caress random strangers they see on a sidewalk. it's really hard for me to develop crushes that are deeper than "this person has a cute face"

On the flip side, I've been nursing one crush for almost 19 years :piss:

I've identified this limerence as an intrusive thought pattern rather than a crush, since the person it's about I haven't seen in 13 years and I maintain a voluntary embargo on all info related to them so as not to give my brain any new data. It still loving sucks because I've wanted out of this poo poo for 18.5 years, but it never goes away. I'm getting married soon for gently caress's sake, terminate the loop already.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Don't worry ladies I'm sensory-seeking :pervert:.

On a somewhat related note. I keep reading that both ADHD and Autism experience sensory sensitivity. I've also read that sensory sensitivity is experienced as finding sensations in general to be intense and becoming "over-stimulated". This is also the language used when describing sensory processing disorder.

I tend to experience sensory sensitivities as certain very specific stimuli eliciting viscerally unpleasant sensations. For example, there are a handful of textures that I just loving hate, such as PEVA. When I touch it I get sensations of discomfort shooting up into my core through my arms starting at fingertips, often with the urge to shiver. However, touching my hated textures doesn't make me more sensitive to textures in general, and if something doesn't trigger my sensitivity then no amount of it will give me a similar feeling.

Is that relatable? Does that seem more like Autism or ADHD or SPD? Is this actually a neurotypical thing somehow?

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

unwantedplatypus posted:

On a somewhat related note. I keep reading that both ADHD and Autism experience sensory sensitivity. I've also read that sensory sensitivity is experienced as finding sensations in general to be intense and becoming "over-stimulated". This is also the language used when describing sensory processing disorder.

I tend to experience sensory sensitivities as certain very specific stimuli eliciting viscerally unpleasant sensations. For example, there are a handful of textures that I just loving hate, such as PEVA. When I touch it I get sensations of discomfort shooting up into my core through my arms starting at fingertips, often with the urge to shiver. However, touching my hated textures doesn't make me more sensitive to textures in general, and if something doesn't trigger my sensitivity then no amount of it will give me a similar feeling.

Is that relatable? Does that seem more like Autism or ADHD or SPD? Is this actually a neurotypical thing somehow?

Yeah that's definitely an autism spectrum thing. I hate certain textures in food or clothing, hate touching certain things, and also have noise sensitivity. For example, touching cardboard when breaking down boxes makes me shiver and sets my teeth on edge. Not sure if that would be expected in someone who only has ADHD, but I have both. I think the general reason is people on the spectrum have trouble with "noise" information, which in neurotypicals is processed through the brain as ignorable background noise.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Schmeichy posted:

I think the general reason is people on the spectrum have trouble with "noise" information, which in neurotypicals is processed through the brain as ignorable background noise.

I keep reading this explanation reworded in many different ways and feel like it doesn't fit my experiences. I don't have trouble being overwhelmed with a lot of sensory information. It's that very specific types of sensory input are viscerally unpleasant in a way that "normal" sensory inputs are not. Maybe that's what is meant by the explanation.

I do also see it described as normally unpainful stimuli being painful in people with ASD, but then it doesn't feel like physical pain. Just very unpleasant.

But perhaps I'm splitting hairs and taking the explanations too literally. Painful is being used as a synonym for intense physical discomfort and only in the more sensitive end of the spectrum is it literally painful.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

euroshopper posted:

Put that way it sounds like they never grew out of puberty.

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

if you want it to be

skooma512 posted:

On the flip side, I've been nursing one crush for almost 19 years :piss:

I've identified this limerence as an intrusive thought pattern rather than a crush, since the person it's about I haven't seen in 13 years and I maintain a voluntary embargo on all info related to them so as not to give my brain any new data. It still loving sucks because I've wanted out of this poo poo for 18.5 years, but it never goes away. I'm getting married soon for gently caress's sake, terminate the loop already.

same lol (well not the getting married part)

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

if you want it to be

i think i just get very attached, like when my childhood cat had to be put down couldnt handle it and ended up taking a 5km walk home in freezing weather wearing a tshirt, barricading my room for a week and refused to speak to my parents for a few months

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

if you want it to be

unwantedplatypus posted:

i get both kinds, the specific stimuli one i get is in two ways, one exactly like you describe and the other one is a strong feeling of unpealsantness thats a lot less... stabbing? than the first one and also localised, it doesnt travel up the nerves
like i dislike the feeling of having salve on my hands, and hate the feeling of touching things while having salve on my hands
so i end up holding them up in the air fingers spread, its unpleasant but managable

the overstimulated thing is more like... you feel under pressure and start getting the feeling you have to get out of the situation and can start feeling panic if it gets too bad

Jan 11, 2024
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpZJqjtjD5o&t=17s

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

the intro to this paper about how brains prune down synaptic connections as they age sort of helped me better understand how my thoughts are arranged.

Loss of mTOR-Dependent Macroautophagy Causes Autistic-like Synaptic Pruning Deficits posted:

Autism spectrum disorders (ASDs) are characterized by impaired social interactions, communication deficits, and repetitive behaviors. Multiple ASD susceptibility genes converge on cellular pathways that intersect at the postsynaptic site of glutamatergic synapses (Bourgeron, 2009, Peça and Feng, 2012), implicating abnormalities in dendritic spines in ASD pathogenesis. Consistently, increased spine density is observed in frontal, temporal, and parietal lobes in ASD brains (Hutsler and Zhang, 2010) and changes in synaptic structure are detected in multiple ASD model mice (Zoghbi and Bear, 2012). It remains however unclear why spine pathology occurs and how it is associated with the onset and progression of ASD-related symptoms.

Postnatal synaptic development in mammalian cerebral cortex is a dynamic process involving concurrent formation and elimination/pruning (Purves and Lichtman, 1980, Rakic et al., 1986). Synapse formation exceeds pruning at early ages, yielding excessive excitatory synapses essential for the assembly of neural circuits. Synaptic elimination subsequently outpaces formation, resulting in net spine pruning from childhood through adolescence. Consistently, the density of dendritic spines peaks in early childhood and is followed by a steep decline during late childhood and adolescence to adult levels (Penzes et al., 2011), a process that provides selection and maturation of synapses and neural circuits.

also made me enjoy pruning real trees more and find it kind of meditative. i used to think trimming branches was hurting plants but wind knocks off leaves and twigs all the time and they're fine. squirrels and birds break parts off to have better places to land or build nests. losing small branches lets the tree know where it needs to grow towards to get stronger. gotta do the same thing in your head and try to not get overwhelmed w too many connections.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
It's kind of interesting how this is basically the opposite of the Monotropism theory. Which I feel describes my own subjective experience pretty well.

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

unwantedplatypus posted:

I keep reading this explanation reworded in many different ways and feel like it doesn't fit my experiences. I don't have trouble being overwhelmed with a lot of sensory information. It's that very specific types of sensory input are viscerally unpleasant in a way that "normal" sensory inputs are not. Maybe that's what is meant by the explanation.

I do also see it described as normally unpainful stimuli being painful in people with ASD, but then it doesn't feel like physical pain. Just very unpleasant.

But perhaps I'm splitting hairs and taking the explanations too literally. Painful is being used as a synonym for intense physical discomfort and only in the more sensitive end of the spectrum is it literally painful.

I don't think it is necessarily too many sensory stimuli, which can be an issue too with autistic people, but also certain types of stimuli that have trouble being processed. The one I have the most trouble with is annoying sounds like people chewing. Most people can ignore this or tune it out, but it "hurts" me to listen to most of the time and I can't ignore it or focus on anything else, especially if I'm already stressed. It is also distressing because I would love to be polite and ignore it, but all I can think of is running away from it getting rid of the noise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
misophonia ftw