Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Warbird posted:

Could you elaborate on that a bit? Is that a setting you can just disable?

https://support.firecore.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000074814-Setting-Up-Your-Library

For stuff not in my plex libraries (sports, etc) I just created a favorite to my media folder on my unraid box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

Motronic posted:

You're asking the wrong question. The correct one is do you have what it takes to meticulously curate 100tb of Linux ISOs? Watching any of them is entirely optional and barely related to being a data hoarder.

The hero we need, not the hero we choose to acknowledge.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

MixMasterMalaria posted:

The hero we need, not the hero we choose to acknowledge.

Heroes watch this video and say Not Today Capitalism:

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

more falafel please posted:

I started using xbmc on a soft modded xbox and then used kodi until like 2021 but goddamn it's nice to just use Plex on every device ever. like if I get an Airbnb they'll probably have a Roku and i can just install Plex and sign in and have all my poo poo. i could probably make that work from something i hosted myself but who cares.

100% this. I was one of those people using Kodi with a shared MySQL database so I could keep my viewed status synced up between TVs, then I added Plex specifically for remote access and spent a few years using both, then I got a 4K TV and it natively supported Plex so I used that while I figured out what my Kodi 4K box would be and I just.....didn't. Eventually I stopped bothering to think about it.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
I am still using Kodi with the jellyfin plug on an Nvidia shield, but honestly, I am pretty close to just switching to the jellyfin app.

Kodi just really doesn't add anything that I need anymore.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
I still use Kodi with a shared database, but I did try Plex a year or so ago. Since I don't do any remote access, everything is local and 4k capable with a Shield, the Android TV Chromecasts, or android or iPad/iPhone devices, I've just stuck with what's working.

Once I redo my NAS with something capable of transcoding for Plex, I might consider trying it out. A coworker runs a big Plex instance for his family and friends, but he spends a lot more time janitoring his setup than I do. I've gotten mine pretty hands-off.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

EC posted:

I went back and read the Real Debrid post last page and I'm not trying to hate on the OP but I guess I just don't get it.

Er sorry was this for me?

It's basically just all media, which you can stream or locally download at any quality including full remux, for $3 a month, and almost no setup time or maintenance required. Nothing more or less.

EC posted:

Maybe if you didn't have all that setup it would make more sense?

I've been trying to effectively address this for like 5 minutes and frankly I give up. Either you're trolling, don't understand the capabilities of the system, or entirely lack a basic sense of human empathy that would allow you to understand why this would be powerful and good for most people. I hope for your sake it's not the latter, but wish you the best regardless.

Theophany posted:

A drawback I would be bothered about, if I'm understanding right is that if your debrid provider vanished or decided they were only taking crypto for subscriptions you'd have to rebuild your access to everything with torrent files all over again?

I mean, no? You can locally download anything on your debrid library, or simply stream whatever you want. The power is entirely in your hands to do literally whatever you feel like doing. If you want to store locally, the service going down would have no effect on you.

Want to locally download everything? Congrats, do so. Want to, like many people, only locally store media that you really love, and stream the rest? Enjoy. Want to not have a local server at all, and instead, simply have access to all streaming media, instantly, including full physical media bitrates? That is also a great option.

Like I was trying to explain from post one on the topic, RDB can be an all-in solution or it can simply buttress an existing Plex loadout.

Anyways, cheers :) I'm not some enemy out to, like, prove Usenet is bad. Quite the contrary, as an owner of a 100TB Plex library! And I know, that it's easy to feel attacked, or suspicious, of new options that arise. We're unfortunately getting old enough that we get to be the old guys shouting at clouds over new things, and while I get it, RDB is incredible and for most people, represents an extremely simple way to have whatever they want, right when they want it, no library required.

Usenet doesn't always have everything either but between RDB and Usenet the overall power to stream, locally download, and find any content that you could possibly want is there, with every conceivable base covered.

Taima fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jan 10, 2024

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Taima posted:

Er sorry was this for me?

It's basically just all media, which you can stream or locally download at any quality including full remux, for $3 a month, and almost no setup time or maintenance required. Nothing more or less.

I've been trying to effectively address this for like 5 minutes and frankly I give up. Either you're trolling, don't understand the capabilities of the system, or entirely lack a basic sense of human empathy that would allow you to understand why this would be powerful and good for most people. I hope for your sake it's not the latter, but wish you the best regardless.

What the gently caress dude I just said I didn't really get the point if you already have a usenet setup, but thanks for questioning my empathy or whatever. But please, continue to post like some loving weirdo who just found the internet.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I set up real debrid and it's kind of annoying to get it running but it integrates nicely with the *arr apps and augments usenet. I also messed around with stremio and I guess it's a nice option for people who aren't as techy and don't want to mess around with a home media server but the UX leaves a lot to be desired. And also Plex just works everywhere.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Anyone else still type 'linux distro s03e08 1080p' into your nzb provider of choice and then just watch it?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Only when it’s a “Special” in sonarr because like 99% of the time those Linux ISOs are not named the way sonarr thinks they should be

nullpunkt
May 6, 2007

not a substitute for human interaction

History Comes Inside! posted:

Only when it’s a “Special” in sonarr because like 99% of the time those Linux ISOs are not named the way sonarr thinks they should be

But that's what Prowlarr's for, so you can search all your nzb providers at once. Every simple function will be Arr'ed.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

History Comes Inside! posted:

Recently had a super fun time with one of the ISO Wars animated shows. The first 2 seasons both start off with a double length episode, though both are listed as 2 Special episodes despite them coming in as a single file, so Seasons 1 and 2 actually begins with episode 2. Season 3 did the same thing, only this time episode came as two files labeled s03e01 and s03e02 but the episode only had a single entry in Sonarr as the first episode, so I had to join the two files together using - part1 and - part2 then bump all the other episode filenames back by one so 3 > 2, 4 > 3 etc :argh: This seems to happen most often with animated shows so I pity anyone with a kids library or who otherwise has lots of animated content.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Just a heads up for anyone else in my situation, Linuxserver’s Nzbget image is no longer supported and, per them, neither is the app itself. Advised migration is Sabnzbd which is pretty painless but I am getting less throughput.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
Man I wish it was possible to solve the specials being in the wrong season thing. Thats about the only time I have to go do anything manually. Is it possible? I've never looked into all that sonarr customization stuff since it works the rest of the time

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Main thing is that regular episodes are for the most part straight forward, but specials are just made up based on a million factors. If a group is using tvdb for their ordering while sonarr is using tmdb then it’s gonna clash.

I wish there was more structure to specials, I don’t give a crap about stuff on DVDs for the most part but when you have actual episodes in there it’s a shame when they’re all over the place. And they’re also easy to miss by mistake unless you’re paying extra attention when watching.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
It's an annoying problem for British TV shows especially for me cause they love their Christmas specials

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Warbird posted:

Just a heads up for anyone else in my situation, Linuxserver’s Nzbget image is no longer supported and, per them, neither is the app itself. Advised migration is Sabnzbd which is pretty painless but I am getting less throughput.

I can get close to gigabit line rate with sab using 3 providers and 20 threads per

Qwijib0 fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jan 11, 2024

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Warbird posted:

I'm so glad I've been too lazy for the last decade to move off sabnzbd

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Resdfru posted:

It's an annoying problem for British TV shows especially for me cause they love their Christmas specials

Yeah that was the main thing going through my brain when I was posting, as I was putting together a Christmas episode collection in Plex this year when I realized tons of my shows that were ‘complete’ from a season pack POV were missing a ton of episodes. Easily missed by groups doing DVD rips and the like because they’re not always among the regular episodes.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I don't really like anything about using sabnzbd but thankfully I rarely have to touch it once its setup and running.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Aware posted:

I don't really like anything about using sabnzbd but thankfully I rarely have to touch it once its setup and running.

Why look at it ever unless you're adding/removing a provider? I do almost all my manual searches through Prowlarr and in the rare event I actually download as .nzb file I just stick it in a folder SAB is watching and it picks it up in a few seconds.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Warbird posted:

Hasn't nzbget been dead for a while now?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Theophany posted:

"Feature complete"

However, there are now at least two forkers that are attempting to keep it updated. I still run the original branch and it is fully needs suiting, but maybe one day I’ll try one of the forks.

derk
Sep 24, 2004

Theophany posted:

i use nzbget, it isn't dead. i am thinking you guys are talking about a docker container not being updated anymore? nzbget is still actively being updated and works great. i messed with SAB many years ago, but many years ago i switched to nzbget and never looked back.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

derk posted:

i use nzbget, it isn't dead. i am thinking you guys are talking about a docker container not being updated anymore? nzbget is still actively being updated and works great.

I'm not sure if you're using a fork or something, but nzbget hasn't had an update since 2021.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

The official repo is archived and has been for a bit now. Are you using a fork?

derk
Sep 24, 2004

disaster pastor posted:

I'm not sure if you're using a fork or something, but nzbget hasn't had an update since 2021.

hmmm... I am at work now, will check when I get home on my network. maybe you're right.

derk
Sep 24, 2004

Warbird posted:

The official repo is archived and has been for a bit now. Are you using a fork?

disaster pastor posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/usenet/comments/11vrj3s/just_made_the_switch_from_nzbget_to_sabnzbd/

after reading through a lot of these comments, I am seeing that they say nzbget doesn't handle obfuscated well, or at all? I am not 100% sure if I have ever grabbed an obfuscated file or not. My sonarr/radarr experience with nzbget has been flawless, everything just works.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
I noticed that it was a bit old too, but switching to sanzbd made downloads a bit slower (didn't hit 200MB/s anymore) so I switched back. Haven't looked yet at forks, but what I have so far works just fine.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I switched to nzbget when SAB went dark on updates years ago and I was building a new rig, and have never bothered to change back. Heck I’m not even on the absolute latest version, it bugs me every so often to go to the final point release. Zero issues with obfuscated files or anything else and I like the client I use on my iPhone for it.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I think nzbget randomly stopping processing obfuscated files correctly is what prompted me to switch back to sabnzbd a few years ago and it’s been fine.

Maxes out my connection without issue, but due to the benefit of timezones most of my downloading is done overnight anyway so I rarely have reason to care how fast it’s going.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
I wish it were possible to understand why for some people nzbget is significantly faster than sabnzb and vice versa. I've found on certain systems nzbget was great and sab was crap and others where the opposite was true, even on the same network and using similar systems.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

SAB is Python so maybe one is better multithreaded and one just likes big cores, that's all a guess though.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
When I switched from SAB to nzbget all those years ago it was marketed as lighter weight and faster on low resource systems like NASes. I was trying to run everything in the world off of an AMD A-series CPU so I needed every clock cycle I could get.

I keep meaning to switch back but :effort:

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!
This got me interested too since I've just continued using nzbget. Looks like a fork called nzbgetcom is trying to take over as official. I switched over to it without any config changes with docker.

Not an endorsement to migrate over, but I'm giving it a shot and so far so good. Nzbget is noticably more performant than SAB on my setup.

Dyscrasia fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jan 12, 2024

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
What does more performant mean in this context?

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!

MixMasterMalaria posted:

What does more performant mean in this context?

Much lower CPU usage during downloads. Something like 30% vs less than 10% if I remember correctly.

loose-fish
Apr 1, 2005
It used to be the case that you had to setup the right yEnc decoder to get good sabnzbd performance. Looks like that is still a thing but I never had to mess with it since moving to Docker...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Dyscrasia posted:

Much lower CPU usage during downloads. Something like 30% vs less than 10% if I remember correctly.

Does nzbget unpack during downloads? That could be a huge difference. I don't know the exact criteria required because it doesn't happen on every dopwnload, but more than half the time that's how sab does it in my setup and you can definitely see the disk i/o and cpu hit.