Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I've heard great things about their software so much that a few family members and friends who are in healthcare refuse to work for any hospital that doesn't use it.

But I can't imagine why on earth I'd want to live in Wisconsin. Maybe if I was straight out of college I'd do it but now I make enough and can still live well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
I used nextgen at a previous, non-it internship and it sucked rear end and I just kinda assumed all EHR are like that.

That said, I would not want to work at a hospital without getting mondo bucks which is the opposite of what you get afaik. I don't like the idea of me taking a day off resulting in someone dying because the internet at the nurses station stopped working or whatever.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

For the midwest, Wisconsin is quite nice. The driftless region has some fun hikes and northern Wisconsin/the UP/Boundary waters has excellent outdoor recreation.

Obviously if you're used to epic mountain ranges out your windows or you just don't care about going outside that'll be less of a draw but I for one would not reject Madison out of hand if an opportunity showed up there.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Same. Madison is a nice college town actually and the whole northern great lakes region is the best.

Susat
May 31, 2011

Taking it easy, being green

nielsm posted:

words about AD

I realize this is a few pages back, but I also wanted to say thank you for this. I read through it while at work and most likely went into a fugue state during some kind of phone call and forgot to respond.

It's all really interesting and learning the nuances of managing these systems is why I think I enjoy IT in the first place.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
What a timely discussion. I’ve been looking at the t-mobile 4G unlimited backup at $50/mo for our locations with a single circuit. Not crucial locations and only 4 employees/phones at each but we’ve had a few multi day outages in the last month and $600/yr seems like a small price to pay.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I live and work in Madison. The thing with Epic is that it's in Verona, not Madison. Close, but you're driving if you want to be in Madison and the beltine is a shitshow. Also Madison and Dane county is expensive as gently caress concerning cost of living. Some of the apartments in Madison does have free shuttles to Epic but it's $1200+ for a 1 bedroom. And you're paying extra for parking. A car is a must.

Judy spent a fuckload of money for that Epic campus. It's gorgeous and has a ton of amenities. It's just you're gonna be there every day. It's all her that demands this. Most folks I've known that have worked there, did it for a few years and then left and made bank consulting.

I do love Madison though and Wisconsin is beautiful. And we need more educated voters.

If any of you nerds come out to Madison, we can go to any of the two dozen breweries in Madison or the half dozen distilleries. The pinball bars and arcades are pretty slick though.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Never lived in Madison but I've visited countless times and it's great. Only ever visited in the summer tho, (and once in November) I hear the winters are brutal.

$1200 for a one bedroom sounds like a steal tho coming from the Bay Area.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

klosterdev posted:

Never lived in Madison but I've visited countless times and it's great. Only ever visited in the summer tho, (and once in November) I hear the winters are brutal.

I hear ya, it's all relative.

As for weather, we did get 8 inches of snow yesterday and due another 8 this weekend. But this is abnormal for nowadays. It hasn't snowed much of anything in years. It does get cold though, weeks of minus temps.

Also, don't work for Epic unless it's 100k+

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

klosterdev posted:

1200 for a nice one bedroom isn't out of line here in San Antonio either. When I moved here in 2006 I was paying 750 for a reasonably nice 1 bedroom apt in a gated complex. That same apartment rents for 1200 a month right now.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

skipdogg posted:

1200 for a nice one bedroom isn't out of line here in San Antonio either. When I moved here in 2006 I was paying 750 for a reasonably nice 1 bedroom apt in a gated complex. That same apartment rents for 1200 a month right now.

$1200 is the low end, I should have been more specific. Nice is a few hundred more. But I mean it isn't hard to google Madison apartments. Madison is good if you're single or with one partner. If you have a family, the burbs are nice and cheaper.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

"Winter" in the midwest these days is a week of frigid temps in January and maybe a couple inches of slush every so often until April. Ponds don't even really freeze anymore.

The climate is extremely mild now, except for the increase in tornadoes climate change would be treating the place nicely.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

in soviet seattle $1200 gets you a shoebox sized studio, and you may or may not have a bathroom

i'll still never move to the midwest until the trans "debate" ends however

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I don't blame you but Madison is a pretty inclusive community. Basically the Seattle of the midwest and that includes the homeless population unfortunately.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Boss is insisting the training for our new product MUST be done in office and can’t be done over google meets next Tuesday despite the loving polar vortex so looks like I’m getting the kick in the pants I need to send out those new fiscal year applications

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

GreenNight posted:

Most folks I've known that have worked there, did it for a few years and then left and made bank consulting.

FWIW, everyone that I've know that worked at Epic has been rock solid and they know their poo poo.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Is there a fundamental reason why IT morons like us aren't unionized?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Unions are for factory workers, IT is too smart and sophisticated to need organization.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Too many weird libertarians convinced that being in a demand industry right that moment is entirely down to the hard work they put in as an individual.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

cr0y posted:

Is there a fundamental reason why IT morons like us aren't unionized?

We came about as a career in the 70s-80s, right when the American union was getting splatted without the hard line commies who'd built the institution in the 40s due to the red scare. A small number of us are unionized, but given how hostile the field is due to aforementioned libertarian doofuses and the overall lack of growth of unions (and subsequent difficulty pointing to gains to get mass mobilization) the best we can do is try to get more people in existing unions and point to good things happening in other sectors, like the Hollywood and train workers.

It's very hard to build a union, still hard to keep a union, and the capitalists have spent decades shoring up their propaganda and enforcers.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Thanks Ants posted:

Too many weird libertarians convinced that being in a demand industry right that moment is entirely down to the hard work they put in as an individual.

Yeah Im surprised by the amount of them Ive come across even just a few years into IT

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The meritocracy piece is really, really internalized in our field.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Internet Explorer posted:

The meritocracy piece is really, really internalized in our field.

If you think about it, thats really strange when a lot of this thread is stories of other IT nerds being dinguses and how someone who was hired is completely out of their depth and making life miserable for everyone else.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

computers look complex and scary, but when you get down to how it all really works they're suprisingly simple, which makes a certain kind of Guy (and it is usually Guys) decide that everything, from taxes to society to workplaces are the same way.

Remember seasteading? I miss those threads.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

I feel the opposite, the more I learn about the technical details of how computers are made and how they work and how networking works etc, the more intimidated I get. The whole thing is unfathomably complex

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

The really crazy part though is how true hardware failures are SO rare despite the immense complexity. Like, the electrical engineering of computers is unbelievably reliable

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

johnny park posted:

I feel the opposite, the more I learn about the technical details of how computers are made and how they work and how networking works etc, the more intimidated I get. The whole thing is unfathomably complex

Once your skills get hard enough you go soft

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

tokin opposition posted:

which makes a certain kind of Guy (and it is usually Guys) decide that everything, from taxes to society to workplaces are the same way.

engineers dot txt

beep boop must optimize society

johnny park posted:

Just remember, whenever something fails... it's DNS.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

We really only see hardware failures on big purchases, allowing the small percentage of lemons to reveal themselves. Buy 500 machines, a couple will be duds just because of manufacturing or assembly flaws. Hard drives are the most visible because we got like 10,000 of them spinning and they're mechanical, some percentage is always going to be breaking. I don't think we've had a single SSD fail yet.

In general systems will stay running for 10 years with zero issues, it's usually deprecated hardware that kills them off. Sometimes the power supply. So yeah it's pretty amazing how a box of transistors can "just work."

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

xzzy posted:

We really only see hardware failures on big purchases, allowing the small percentage of lemons to reveal themselves. Buy 500 machines, a couple will be duds just because of manufacturing or assembly flaws. Hard drives are the most visible because we got like 10,000 of them spinning and they're mechanical, some percentage is always going to be breaking. I don't think we've had a single SSD fail yet.

In general systems will stay running for 10 years with zero issues, it's usually deprecated hardware that kills them off. Sometimes the power supply. So yeah it's pretty amazing how a box of transistors can "just work."

I've had two 1.5 TB drives sitting on my desk for like 4 years waiting for me to get around to wiping them. Powered them up a few days ago, worked fine, wiped them (full zero format, i.e. pounding the write head for a couple days each), no problem. Seems like every time I read Backblaze's reports, the AFR keeps going down on the whole, which is pretty impressive for these types of mechanical systems with tolerances in nanometers (the head distance from platter, anyway).

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

One of the biggest things killing unionization is honestly that IT has a culture of leaving companies quickly to get raises. Despite the libertarian reputation if you go by campaign donations and look at it statistically there are not many career fields more left leaning than IT and tech among the rank and file

A unionization drive takes like 2 years and you have to go through a lot of obstacles so people need to be committed to getting better treatment from that company specifically. 2 years is longer than a lot of people stay in a company in this industry so why bother?

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Cenodoxus posted:

Just remember, whenever something fails... it's DNS.

Had one today.

OT: my SCADA can't connect!
Me: ok ping (hostname)
OT: no host found!!!! Networking?!!!!!
Me: what DNS servers?
OT: none we don't set those

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I wonder if you could make bank being a unionized MSP for nonprofits and unions themselves. There's gotta be a decent chunk of orgs who'd be willing to pay a premium for knowing the techs aren't eating dog food for every meal, or at least want the marketing boost for claiming to do so.

Give me a small loan of five bazillion dollars and I'll find out.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

tokin opposition posted:

I wonder if you could make bank being a unionized MSP for nonprofits and unions themselves. There's gotta be a decent chunk of orgs who'd be willing to pay a premium for knowing the techs aren't eating dog food for every meal, or at least want the marketing boost for claiming to do so.

Give me a small loan of five bazillion dollars and I'll find out.

This would make more sense as a worker co-op.

BIG FLUFFY DOG fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jan 11, 2024

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I had a chance to start a branch of an existing MSP and probably could have made my branch a worker-owned co-op but decided against it. It's a lot of work to run such a business and having co-ops and unions as your only clients without already having a bunch lined up would probably be exceedingly difficult. Everyone involved in getting it off the ground would probably have to work for way way less than they could get anywhere else.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
As a resident of Minnesota I'm legally obligated to say that Madison sucks (Go Gophers! Even though they fired me!).

Also, while I was job searching I kept getting postings on LinkedIn for Epic "located" in the Minneapolis area but when you'd read the description it says you have to relocate to Madison, so I report those form having the wrong location.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

I’m getting regularly contacted by non-local recruiters for jobs and hour and a loving half away from me but hey it’s the all the same flyover state so who cares.

Yeah I’m relocating for an 18 an hour 12 month contact position. gently caress off.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I get recruiter calls about jobs in Denver, which is anywhere from 2-3 hours away depending on what part of town and the traffic. Multiple times, I have had to explain my answer of "That's 2-3 hours away" means "no" when they say "Well what hourly rate are you looking for?"

Are there people who think "Oh yes I'll turn my 9 hour day into a 13-15 hour day" or are recruiters just trying to hard-sell?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

They're just testing how desperate you are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I get recruiter calls about jobs in Denver, which is anywhere from 2-3 hours away depending on what part of town and the traffic. Multiple times, I have had to explain my answer of "That's 2-3 hours away" means "no" when they say "Well what hourly rate are you looking for?"

Are there people who think "Oh yes I'll turn my 9 hour day into a 13-15 hour day" or are recruiters just trying to hard-sell?

Thats when you quote your yearly wage as an hourly.