Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Soricidus posted:

lol if you regularly create binaries smaller than 1gb, what’s it like in the 1980s grandpa

A lot better tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

leper khan posted:

A lot better tbh

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
The last time I dealt with user input that was customer facing was 6 years ago. Now I don’t even deal with strings other than to display static messages. :smug:

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

leper khan posted:

A lot better tbh

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

our distributable is not even half a gigabyte. we are lean and svelte

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Over the past year, I got us from 1.5GB to 50MB for the installed deb pkg.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Xarn posted:

how many people said thank you

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
lol, lmao

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

Xarn posted:

hope you're bringing up the fact you saved your company tens of dollars in your year end

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
The problem with the world is that people are insufficiently focused on the bottom line of their employer. Never make anything better unless a wealthy man profits from it within the current fiscal year.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
any time i make a change that saves disk space, i pocket a few mb for myself, no one is gonna notice them missing :ssh:

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
Boss makes a dollar, I make a dime; that's why I save on the company drive.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Xarn posted:

lol, lmao

well let me be the first

thank you

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

pokeyman posted:

well let me be the first

thank you
is this the forums equivalent of a slow clap

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

my homie dhall posted:

hope you're bringing up the fact you saved your company tens of dollars in your year end

I am pretty sure that shaving off about an hour for anyone/everyone trying to get the pkg (or docker image with the pkg) through VPN has paid for itself in many times over. Artifactory limited at ~250KB/s is hell.

(and obviously this was a tiny fraction of what I did during the last year :v:)

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

Athas posted:

I’m just scraping by but the C-suite seems to thrive; I might as well save on the company drive.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Athas posted:

Boss makes a dollar, I make a dime; that's why I save on the company drive.

"Boss makes a dollar, I make a dime"

But that's an adage from a simpler time

Now the board makes a grand, and I make a buck

So I steal the new tires from the company truck

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

C suite cashes checks
i make gently caress all
so i rip the copper
outta company walls

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

NihilCredo posted:

"Boss makes a dollar, I make a dime"

But that's an adage from a simpler time

Now the board makes a grand, and I make a buck

So I steal the new tires from the company truck

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
I think shrinking a binary by that much must have saved your colleagues a lot of annoying time
waiting for an installer. This year I spent a few weeks getting something that used to take 10-15 minutes down to 3-5 seconds. Then I spent a few days getting it down to less than 2. I’m more proud of shaving those last seconds, it made the whole
experience silky smooth.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

zokie posted:

This year I spent a few weeks getting something that used to take 10-15 minutes down to 3-5 seconds. Then I spent a few days getting it down to less than 2. I’m more proud of shaving those last seconds, it made the whole
experience silky smooth.
it's amazing what an improved diet can do for your bowel movements

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

Xarn posted:

I am pretty sure that shaving off about an hour for anyone/everyone trying to get the pkg (or docker image with the pkg) through VPN has paid for itself in many times over. Artifactory limited at ~250KB/s is hell.

yeah, 1.5gb to 50mb is p dank, i’m just taking the piss, especially if you’re no longer doing something like shipping clang to production

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

“oooooohhhhh, compress and then encrypt. got it”

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
literally just had a conversation about how increased bandwidth usage was an expected result of field-level e2e encryption because it makes transport-level compression ineffective

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

lol

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

I never thought about this but lol

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

entropy is a bitch

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Xarn posted:

all those hours of loving off lost forever smh. your coworkers are making an honest effort to quiet quit and here you go messing it all up. thanks a lot jack

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
everybody's favourite plang is getting a jit. i'm kind of surprised by how basic it is, but i guess you gotta start somewhere and start simple

the way it's been implemented (with the build time c functions getting compiled into "templates") seems like a huge hack, but then i have literally no idea about how jits are normally implemented

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
that is definitely one of the standard ways to implement a lovely jit. or, if you’re visual basic, a static compiler

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

python I've never had to touch. looks nice tho.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
okay, i skimmed the post, and it is describing this byte to template expansion as if it’s way more novel and interesting than it really is. pretty sure there were jits doing that in the 90’s

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

yeah I was reading papers about that in the early 2000s, and they weren’t new papers IIRC

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

rjmccall posted:

okay, i skimmed the post, and it is describing this byte to template expansion as if it’s way more novel and interesting than it really is. pretty sure there were jits doing that in the 90’s

yep

thing is it probably had some name like "direct threading interpreter"

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

you are awakening brain cells that I was sure were dead from alcohol or COVID or mental illness

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

yeah, pretty astonishing that they claim that template-based compilation is somehow new, but I haven't read that 2021 OOPSLA paper. This is also how the Hotspot Java interpreter works - for each instruction set there's a template table for each bytecode instruction, so something simple like pushing a constant would look like

C code:
void TemplateTable::iconst(int value) {
  transition(vtos, itos);
  if (value == 0) {
    __ xorl(rax, rax);
  } else {
    __ movl(rax, value);
  }
}
which gets splatted into a table with an xmacro, as god intended. Oh hey, speaking of macros, what's that "__" identifier in the iconst() implementation? Why it's one of my favourite preprocessor hacks:

C code:
#define __ Disassembler::hook<InterpreterMacroAssembler>(__FILE__, __LINE__, _masm)->
anyway, funny that the cool new python thing is literally the least-optimized java thing, wrap it up plangers

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

also the notion of "copy-and-patch JIT"s sound a heck of a lot like the so-called copy-and-annotate binary translation techniques that were popular back in the day, perhaps you would like to learn more starting at about the 15 minute mark of https://www.infoq.com/presentations/dynamic-analysis-tools/

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

itt we rediscover that hackernews posts are made by idiots

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
i mean, it's pretty common for folk techniques to be republished in academia every five to seven years so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
What we really need is just-in-time code deletion that deletes your code right before you try to run it so we can all finally be free from touching computer