Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

so like if Malvo and Varga are aspects of Satan, or that is to say, embodiments of individual or systemic human fault, as some ppl say-
then Munch is coming off kind of like, the Satan they refer to in War Pigs? who eternally punishes those who, in life, always got away with i.e. war profiteering, perpetuating bigotry, sanctioned mass murder, etc
that is striking, to me, and very of the time; i'm glad they set one of these more recently

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

CBJSprague24 posted:

They may be leaning into it a smidge hard, but I think it's only cringy because it's still so fresh to the point that it's ongoing.

Yeah that's where I'm at. I'm just sick of anything to do with Trump. The people who hate him and can't stop mentioning him daily are just as obnoxious as the people out protesting on his behalf saying he's the second coming. I'd rather just not hear his name or anything about him and Hawley is using a show I really like to take dumb jabs at him to score lowest common denominator points I guess because I don't find the inclusion useful to the story or meaningful in any way. I don't expect everyone to feel the same though and everything is so good it's more of a minor annoyance than anything.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Do you find it inauthentic or do you just want to pretend it never happened?

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
I will accept Trump showing up in person in the next episode but only if he is played by Bruce Campbell.

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007
"tell Jerome to call the orange idiot"

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007
The choice of YMCA is just splendid
Trump plus one night at McCools energy

Brigadier Sockface fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jan 11, 2024

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

This season has been so so so so so good

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Nameless Pete posted:

Do you find it inauthentic or do you just want to pretend it never happened?

Not sure how you came up with those two options, and it's unclear what you even mean by option B, but my answer would be neither. I don't know if inauthentic is the right word, but the show is just doing a caricature that I don't find interesting are useful, that's all. I hate when politics saturates things because modern politics is such a cesspool of stupidity I do my best to avoid it at all costs.

DaveWoo posted:

I will accept Trump showing up in person in the next episode but only if he is played by Bruce Campbell.

That would be amazing, but anything done by Bruce would be amazing.

ChesterJT fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jan 11, 2024

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

I just remembered the guy who posted about the Wizard of Oz parallels earlier in the season and then I remembered GLinda

Feels pretty intentional albeit weird since they went so heavy with it in season 4.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I was slightly confused as to why Munch saved Dot after he had already more-or-less resolved his issues with Tillman by blinding Gator. However, his dialogue seemed to make it clear that he viewed the posse about to shoot her like a fish in a barrel as a type of inequity in and of itself, and he seems to be, in some way, the arbitrator of debts. He is justice in that moment, he is the righting of the scales, he is the leveling of the playing field.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Y'all saw that face when Roy was in the bunker right before meeting Munch and Gator right? It was there for like a second and it superimposed on Roy's and I was like oh poo poo oh gently caress oh poo poo

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

So is anyone from a previous season showing up in the finale, or is this going to be completely standalone?

Emetic Hustler
May 5, 2009

Ballz posted:

Y'all saw that face when Roy was in the bunker right before meeting Munch and Gator right? It was there for like a second and it superimposed on Roy's and I was like oh poo poo oh gently caress oh poo poo

Yes. And the change of aspect ratio at the beginning when Roy was standing on his porch. What does it mean?

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

ChesterJT posted:

I hate when politics saturates things because modern politics is such a cesspool of stupidity I do my best to avoid it at all costs.

This here is what I meant by "pretending it never happened." We will be talking about Donald Trump for the rest of our lives because he was president of the United States and he may yet be again.

"Politics" is unavoidable, especially in art. It's like getting annoyed that the show reminds you about how you're going to die. Yeah, it really sucks to think about, but you'd best start coming to terms.

Ballz posted:

I thought that was a little editing flashback to Munch's naked incursion in with the blood runes as a little reminder for why there's a dead sheep in the tunnel.

Edit:

Emetic Hustler posted:

Yes. And the change of aspect ratio at the beginning when Roy was standing on his porch. What does it mean?
I think it represents his concentration as he decides what to do about Dot, shifting into a predator's focus (as in like a owl) as he makes the choice to kill her.

Nameless Pete fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jan 11, 2024

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Reminder: this is a program that had Ronald Reagan as a recurring character.

TraderStav posted:

"I don't even think about you."

CatstropheWaitress posted:

I do think the Fargo line is colder given it's coming from a dad to his son and you know he means it.

"...from the moment they’re born, that baby comes out and you act proud and excited, hand out cigars. But you don’t feel anything. Especially if you had a difficult childhood. You want to love them but you don’t. And the fact that you’re faking that feeling makes you wonder if your own father had the same problem. "

The full context, the fuller quote softens it, but still.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
I think there's a point that making simple Trump jokes and references is pretty overdone, so unless you're bringing something new to the table then you're just one more person smirking and calling him a cheeto as if you're really saying something.

But, I think they did a decent job handling it. It would have been weirder if they hadn't ever mentioned him, given how it all slots in. And it's less "Trump!" and more a dive into the militia and patriot mindset which has been kicking around for awhile. Going in one of the sheriffs who think they're the highest law and also one of god's warriors has been neat. It makes for a good villain and feels pretty fresh and horribly uncomfortable.

Same thing was true of the Reagan appearance/joke. It might have been lame if it had just been a one-off joke, but it fit well with the themes of the season so it didn't feel forced.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I think this has become less interesting these last few episodes, unfortunately. Glad other people are enjoying it, but I think the season's just sort of handwaved away a lot of complexities in favour of a simpler story about an abused women getting her (rightful) revenge on a cowboy cop.

But in doing so they've swept aside elements like Lorraine being a Trump supporter* or Dot's tendency towards collateral damage. She almost smothered a man to death with a pillow and then set him up to die, and it's odd that that various supernatural forces of judgement that tend to turn up in this show don't have a problem with that.

There also seems to have been a shift in terms of Lorraine and Danish's attitudes to Dot, and I don't get when the show went from them institutionalising her to actually caring about her. Perhaps it's the police photos, but I guess I just don't buy that given how starkly absent of empathy they've been everywhere else. Whatever though, it's a minor thing.

The story they're telling now is fine, don't get me wrong, and the episodes have a lot of style. Howveer, it feels like a simpler version of what they started with, and I have difficulty reconciling the tone of events now with what we're told about the characters initially. A lot's riding on the finale in terms of ending a few subplots and working out what the show is trying to say, particularly Indira's apparent path from victim to victimiser. But I feel like the only way I can understand what I'm seeing is if I forget a lot of what I saw before.

*or, at least, hyperconservative, but it's 2019 and she's a transphobe who compels her family to take Christmas card photos with assault rifles, it's just Occam's razor.

veepfake
Oct 21, 2005

i thought it made sense for lorraine to call Tillman the orange one, and it makes her kinda like tillman that the best she can do is quip stuff from tv

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

The only line from "makes sense" to "nonsense" w/r/t mentioning Trump (who, recall, was on the television earlier in the show) is the comments you'd have to pause to read on the right side of Roy's little internet broadcast.

2 quotes from user "The Donald" that are simply direct quotes from Trump saying stupid things that we've all heard a thousand times over. It's about as funny as saying "it depends what your definition of is is" or "not gonna do it" or "lockbox" or "fool me twice... not gonna get fooled again." It's just supremely lazy. These are things Mr. Robot also did, by having characters directly say stupid Trump quotes while he was still president. It's just lazy for a show that's typically hailed as genius. Much smarter and funnier about this image is the line "you'll beat it off, just like we all beat it off." I would've better accepted an entire chat full of masturbation innuendo.

Dot didn't carry the gun into the grave with her because she was there to hide until the cavalry did their work. She knew if she had a gun with her when they opened it up, they might fire on her. This is a connection the viewer has to make when Witt Farr tells his men "she might have a gun, don't shoot her." I, too, love the fact her plans only work 30% of the time through the entire show. Really does make it more realistic.

Thanks to those who spotted the things Dot saw before she fell asleep in the diner; I'm still going with my theory that Dot subconsciously knew Linda was dead and was out searching for the windmill that held the clue to where she might be. The dream tricked her into thinking it worked. Totally hosed up she was definitely holding her femur to defend herself.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Jan 11, 2024

RandomHodge
Jul 5, 2007
Sorry but we’re pulling lines that you have to pause the show to even notice and calling it lazy writing?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Open Source Idiom posted:

There also seems to have been a shift in terms of Lorraine and Danish's attitudes to Dot, and I don't get when the show went from them institutionalising her to actually caring about her. Perhaps it's the police photos, but I guess I just don't buy that given how starkly absent of empathy they've been everywhere else. Whatever though, it's a minor thing.
It's not just the abuse, at the start of the season Lorraine already dislikes Dorothy for not being part of the proper Social Elite and and is convinced (correctly) that Dot is lying to her: about her past, about everything going on with home invaders and kidnappers. She knows Dorothy isn't telling the truth and bringing violent criminals into the lives of her family, and suspects the worst. At the point that they institutionalize Dot all they know is that she's constantly lying to her family and the police, and whatever is going on is 'her fault' and resulted in her son almost being killed and their home burned to the ground.

Between then and 'now', she is visited by Roy Tillman who fills in some of Dorothy/Nadine's past, and while Lorraine (and Danish) really dislike Roy and his whole Deal, their narrative still fits: Dot's the ex(?) wife of some low class corrupt sheriff, who can say what sort of scam she was pulling, either in cahoots with or against this Tillman rear end in a top hat? By the time Indira shows up with the abuse photos, the whole hospital thing went down where Dot escaped, disappeared, and snuck away with her daughter (Dot = bad!) but also in the midst of that she apparently saved Wayne from getting kidnapped and brought Scotty to a police officer rather than trying to get money for her or anything else. Plus Tillman pulled the whole banker thing, all of which starts to clarify that Roy Tillman is very bad and Dorothy was trying to stay away from him/keep him away from the Lyon Family/not in cahoots with the Tillmans.

The police file is just sort of the final puzzle piece, the stark evidence that Tillman is terrible and that all of Dorothy's lies and evasions were not someone actively trying to scam the Lyon family, but the acts of the aggrieved/victimized party trying to keep themselves and their loved ones far away from Tillman.

It makes sense to me, if you buy that Lorraine is more self-interested/cynical versus operating on pure malevolence. They're definitely not heroic or altruistic, but their version of reality shifted from "Dorothy is lying to us because she is a grifter" to "Dorothy was lying to us because her life before meeting Wayne was hellish and now we are also in direct conflict with the person who made it that way."

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

While all of that is true, it’s also true that she only begins to really care about claiming Dot after Tillman asserts that she belongs to him. Lorraine seems to be the kind of person who would steal a pile of poo poo out of Roy’s hands if it would piss him off simply because it would piss him off. Dorothy is a means to asserting dominance over another blowhard.

After Indira gives her the business, she begins to respect Dot, and it’s not like Lorraine loves her or anything. To me, it doesn’t seem like a hugely drastic transition. Just game recognizing game.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Can't disagree with that read more Open Source Idiom. Took multiple episodes and everything Edge described for Lorraine to support Dot. The show has also in no way swept her conservative leanings aside, no clue how you're reading that. Her connections certainly seem to be helping mobilize a swat team to the ranch over Danish's disappearance, but I don't think anything in the last two episodes has said she's right to hate on trans people.

Edge & Christian posted:

It makes sense to me, if you buy that Lorraine is more self-interested/cynical versus operating on pure malevolence. They're definitely not heroic or altruistic, but their version of reality shifted from "Dorothy is lying to us because she is a grifter" to "Dorothy was lying to us because her life before meeting Wayne was hellish and now we are also in direct conflict with the person who made it that way."

She was shifting before it, but Tillman also obviously murdered her fix-it man and confidant. She's been operating on a fear of Dorothy trying to destroy her family, but this rear end in a top hat actually did it.

DaveKap posted:

2 quotes from user "The Donald" that are simply direct quotes from Trump saying stupid things that we've all heard a thousand times over. It's about as funny as saying "it depends what your definition of is is" or "not gonna do it" or "lockbox" or "fool me twice... not gonna get fooled again." It's just supremely lazy. These are things Mr. Robot also did, by having characters directly say stupid Trump quotes while he was still president. It's just lazy for a show that's typically hailed as genius. Much smarter and funnier about this image is the line "you'll beat it off, just like we all beat it off." I would've better accepted an entire chat full of masturbation innuendo.

Absolutely bizarre take that they should do a season about the current climate but pretend Trump isn't an aspect of it. I get the PTSD reaction to seeing more of him, but I think this notion that it'd be better writing if they ignored the guy is ridiculous. Neither of those are that misspelling of coffee, and they're two comments out of ten. You found an easter egg and are saying it's lazy writing, comon'.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Eh, the whole point of an easter egg like that is to give a laugh to people who you knew were going to screenshot and look at it. Otherwise it would have been too blurry or angled to read. Kind of bad to have a real lazy joke in there and fine to point it out.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Can't disagree with that read more Open Source Idiom. Took multiple episodes and everything Edge described for Lorraine to support Dot. The show has also in no way swept her conservative leanings aside, no clue how you're reading that. Her connections certainly seem to be helping mobilize a swat team to the ranch over Danish's disappearance, but I don't think anything in the last two episodes has said she's right to hate on trans people.

I think there's a movement towards Lorraine and Dot reconciling, particularly that phone conversation where she talks about Dot being her daughter and indicates that she cares for people deep down, and I'm just not a fan of the show ending that way. If it's just territorial bullshit like a new study bible! suggested (and was my initial read on the character) that's great, that makes sense to me as a character, but even just the way they're shooting the character now, moving away from putting her next to that big "NO" in her office, giving her softer emotional beats... She does get that joke about a billionaire's right to kill people, but the person she's targeting is wholly detestable -- in the same way that Dot's collateral damage this week was Rebecca Liddiard's wholly detestable third wife, killed(?) in self-defence. I don't see Lorraine's arc as an escalation of her villainy, as Tillman's very much is, so much as a softening of her personality.

So, yeah, I think they're attempting to create more sympathy there. Not that you can't have sympathy for villains, but in her case I'm both uninterested and suspect it's misplaced. There's one episode left, and I guess we'll see, and I'm prepared to be wrong, but I don't think the direction this season ended up taking (other than the dream world episode) maintained the complexity of the earlier installments. It mostly feels fairly obvious and inevitable tbh.

Edge & Christian posted:

Yeah, okay, this aspect of the arc makes more sense to me. Thanks.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jan 11, 2024

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

But, I think they did a decent job handling it. It would have been weirder if they hadn't ever mentioned him, given how it all slots in. And it's less "Trump!" and more a dive into the militia and patriot mindset which has been kicking around for awhile. Going in one of the sheriffs who think they're the highest law and also one of god's warriors has been neat. It makes for a good villain and feels pretty fresh and horribly uncomfortable.

Yeah I think a couple things elevate this away from "lol Cheeto Hitler" cheap jabs at Trump, one being that these guys are in fact very real and very active right this second. Trump didn't even invent them, he just capitalized on a movement that's been festering for decades and it's one that a lot of TV is afraid to touch because it means shining a light on how the entire justice system is busted as opposed to "a few bad apples". Unaccountable GodCops are terrifying and I'm glad this season is showing that.

But the other reason I think the Trump still is not only fine but actually smart is because it's exploring a really interesting aspect of right wing political violence, that being economic violence versus physical violence. We rightfully recoil at abusive Tillman and his army of racist yokels. But Lorraine is just as violent (and bigoted) in other ways and her wealth and class markers make that violence feel a little different (for some people). But should it? Is Lorraine any less loathsome because she "only" throws families out on the streets or, in the case of the 3 Tillman Clones, literally uses their debts to coerce them to erase their names? We see Tillman's tank as a weapon of war but not Lorraine's ledger? Why?

I think Lorraine and Tillman both being "Trump Guys" but hating each other's guts exposes a lot of the contradictions and rot at the core of conservatism. For all Tillman's talk about freedom and liberty and "ugh, justice for guys in suits", guess who enforces eviction notices like the ones Lorraine issues? The county court system, aka the Sheriff. He has power because rich people use him as muscle. For all Lorraine's disdain for Tillman's uncouth demeanor, her wealth is only secure because cops and laws protect it. She even says on the phone "What's the point of being rich if you can't have someone killed?"

Tillman thinks he's a God-anointed patriot warrior forging his individual destiny, but his entire existence relies on the Lorraines of the world. Lorraine thinks she's a rational business genius above the petty squabbles of the masses, but her entire existence relies on the Tillmans of the world. This is the twin star system that Trump managed to use for a gravity boost. Their hatred (particularly for each other) he correctly identified as fuel for power. But that fuel is very volatile because these people don't have values of solidarity, just power and individual gain. In that light, Lorraine being dismissive of Trump and treating him like the help is, like Graves thinking he can wheel and deal with a true believer, yet another way to illustrate the arrogance of wealth (and the foolishness of rich conservatives who think they can control the rabble and don't realize they've really only just caught a tiger by its tail).

If Fargo Season 5 is all about the violence of hoarding capital and the modern debt system (or even just debt in general, RIP David Graeber), I don't think it's possible to talk about that without bringing the modern political landscape into it. I guess you could imply Trump without naming Trump, but I dunno... The dude's about to be president again because no one is doing anything to stop the Lorraines and Tillmans of the world. The only reason they haven't done more damage is because their politics of selfishness is brittle. That's scary and fits the horror the season has been luxuriating in.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Arist posted:

I was slightly confused as to why Munch saved Dot after he had already more-or-less resolved his issues with Tillman by blinding Gator. However, his dialogue seemed to make it clear that he viewed the posse about to shoot her like a fish in a barrel as a type of inequity in and of itself, and he seems to be, in some way, the arbitrator of debts. He is justice in that moment, he is the righting of the scales, he is the leveling of the playing field.

He is a sin eater. Munch's character is going to go down as one of the best of all time. He is an avatar of chaos. I will be quoting some of his lines until the day i die.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

*or, at least, hyperconservative, but it's 2019 and she's a transphobe who compels her family to take Christmas card photos with assault rifles, it's just Occam's razor.

She's not even hyper-conservative; she's just hyper-wealthy, which is in its own category, since she'll support whatever at the time gives her money. She'd ultra-embrace liberal views if a liberal was in power at the time or if it helped her gain more power. Mentioning Trump was just showing how powerful the truly wealthy are - they override the president and can just give him a call to make political moves to get their way (Succession went into this in more detail). Thats why the Trump nod was so important - he was president in the year its set, and it's showing the amount of pull she has.

They were just so used to skating by on their money and power that the idea that some goofy sheriff clown could actually damage them was beyond them.

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007
It's so great how Munch out-biblicals Tillman

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Yeah Munch actually embodies the spirit of religion. There’s an important contrast between him and the affect of religion. Just like how Gator assumes the affect of an outlaw.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Thinking about Dot’s line in an earlier ep about how Gator “wants to be good, you can see it in his eyes”

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Darko posted:

She's not even hyper-conservative; she's just hyper-wealthy, which is in its own category, since she'll support whatever at the time gives her money. She'd ultra-embrace liberal views if a liberal was in power at the time or if it helped her gain more power.

Given some of the things she says -- e.g. her feudal ideology, policing her granddaughter's (mild!) non standard gender presentment -- makes me think she's conservative. How does you read incorporate those elements?

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Nameless Pete posted:

This here is what I meant by "pretending it never happened." We will be talking about Donald Trump for the rest of our lives because he was president of the United States and he may yet be again.

"Politics" is unavoidable, especially in art. It's like getting annoyed that the show reminds you about how you're going to die. Yeah, it really sucks to think about, but you'd best start coming to terms.

You don't seem to understand what those words mean. There's a clear difference in pretending it never happened and not wanting to talk about it. Nobody has to "come to terms" with anything, and it's rather ignorant to assume someone must do so. Will you die? Yes. Do you have to spend even one second of your life thinking about it? Absolutely not. That's not pretending it won't happen. That's choosing to live your life not worrying about something you can't change. Maybe that's a philosophical argument for another time and place.

This is a great take, however you can't deny they did take the lowbrow cheeto Trump joke. I guess that's my point about political comedy/satire. There's a very smart way to do it and very few people in hollywood know what that is so I try to avoid it. I think this season could have made it's point without pulling out the club for a smack over the head this late in the season.

ChesterJT fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jan 12, 2024

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

What point is the show beating the viewer over the head with? Sincere question since I haven’t been following the discourse.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Art imitates life and that bothers South Park Libertarians.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I'm not really sure what it's "beating the viewer over the head" about or honestly how it is doing said beating. I assume "it" here is that "there exists a reactionary/insurrectionist movement today in the United States that is intertwined with the notion of Law & Order and A Bygone Better America and militant separatists and Evangelical movements and Donald Trump" and I can't tell if the issue is "telling a story about that" or "telling a story about that while explicitly mentioning Donald Trump or Ammon Bundy or Lavoy Finicum" or, and I do sympathize with this even if I don't think it's productive and there are probably lots of other shows to watch, "we are living through this and it's awful and I want entertainment that does not remind me of this".

Given some of the things she says -- e.g. her feudal ideology, policing her granddaughter's (mild!) non standard gender presentment -- makes me think she's conservative. How does you read incorporate those elements?
This is just my reading but Lorraine doesn't really seem actively transphobic as much as she is someone of an elite class who at the outset of the show is very much thinking about How to Present As Part of the Elite to operate as smoothly as possible.

We're introduced to her in the Christmas photo shoot scene:

1. She scolds Danish for "ruining her entrance" down the staircase
2. She gets lovely about Scotty wearing a suit
3. Tells Danish he can't be in the photo because it's "family only"
4. Has everyone pose with assault rifles

She outright says the guns are for their image, "to project their values", and the Lorraine we know by now clearly values/valued Danish as much as she does anyone who is not her son or granddaughter. My read of the the Scotty stuff is less "she is going to be actively transphobic and start funding lovely laws" and more "we're taking this photograph to cater to a certain audience that is going to love guns and not want to see anything that gives them even a whiff of non-gender essentialism". Still a lovely comment, but motivated by Keeping Up Appearances as opposed to transphobia or whatever.

And again, the events of the season have Lorraine directly butting up against actual Patriarchy and Gender Essentialism and etc. in the comparatively benign form of the lovely bankers calling her Lady and only wanting to talk to Danish, and then Tillman, and she rails against even the less violent form of the patriarchy pretty loving hard. Not suggesting she is an Ally or anything approaching that, but her view of the world is not at all in line with the Roy Tillmans and Odin Littles of the world.

If there's anything that is being "beaten over the head" in this season, it's the conflict between all of the sort of conservative/Conservative factions in America and their view of an Imagined Past America and a desired Future America

-- Lorraine represents the "business wing" of the Republican party, which yearns for unfettered free market capitalism and deep down a return to robber barons and/or feudalism and is not personally overly concerned with the culture wars
-- Tillman et. al represent the "MAGA" wing, who drape everything in a veneer of faith and nostalgia but really just long for a time when Straight White Men ruled the Earth and could do whatever the gently caress they want to anyone else
-- Munch is the shadow of actual history and faith that nobody seems to actually understand

And everyone else are basically just the actual people who have to live in the world those other groups created. All of this has already been said in the thread and elsewhere, and I can see the argument that it's been pretty on the nose/repeating itself/possibly "beating you over the head with it" but also at the same time this and various other things (the dream sequence in particular) have been pretty lampshaded to some, and confusing to others, so I always wonder what the right level of subtle storytelling is actually the platonic ideal.

Fargo (and the Coen Brothers movies in general: I'm thinking the original Fargo, Raising Arizona, Hudsucker Proxy, A Serous Man, even stuff like Barton Fink) has always been about The Stories People Tell Themselves About America butting up against The America They Live In and the history of actual America in one way or another, and I agree that this season has been broader and more obvious about it than a lot of what has come before. I can see why people would not love that, but I've certainly been enjoying it.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jan 12, 2024

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

From Munch's bio on FX's website: "Age unknown, birthplace unknown. On any given day, Ole Munch looks as though he could be 30-60"

I'm sorry, Sam you are a handsome lad but Ole Munch does not look 30.

Also agree broadly with the above post.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

eke out posted:

also a dark joke about how these militia fascists are quite literally a Young Men's Christian Association

Yeah that was my take. Put aside the gay association and just read the lyrics as well. It was super on point.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I'll have to also say I'm disappointed that Lorraine got way too much of a redemption arc without earning it. I was hoping this episode would end with Dot getting free, and then in the final one, it's all about Lorraine again and she pulls something really lovely, as she had been acting for the rest of the reason. And yeah, people bitching about mentioning Trump in even the slightest fashion is hilarious. This season takes place in 2019, what the gently caress were you expecting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Sorry I should have been more explicit: I was trying to point out that the only time the line was crossed into annoying was in a place that doesn't matter at all.

But thinking on it again, when you consider how often shows now hide easter egg jokes in scenes that need pausing to really look at them, it is sorta disappointing to pause in excitement to see the funny jokes, and see a stale joke instead.

I've also done a bit more thinking on what I really liked about this season and how it stacks up and I think I actually have to agree that compared to other seasons, it is a rather simplistic one. It's not that I don't enjoy the message - we've received some fantastic posts in here elaborating on the "old vs new conservativism" and it has certainly been entertaining watching them go at it - but I think if you had to sum up what the season was about, you'd do so by simply saying, "the protagonist has her lovely past catch up with her and we watch as she survives it. Also there's a boogeyman." Perhaps that's boiling it down too much but I don't think any other season could be as simplified. In a way, Munch's storyline barely mattered. Wayne's existence barely mattered. Indira and Witt Farr, sadly, barely matter. They're all there to enact a change or two on someone more important to the throughline. I'm curious to see if/how the final episode changes any of this. I look forward to extrapolating this idea after it's all over.

None of this is to say it's a bad season; I've loved the ride, it's absolutely better (to me) than 3 and 4, and the acting and dialog has been typical Fargo-fantastic. It just seems like it may not have been as interestingly woven of a plot as the first two were. The finale can't come soon enough!

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Jan 12, 2024