Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Jenkins definitely needs to move back to RG. He was way more comfortable over there, and he and Wright made a really dominant run-blocking tandem. They were shredding teams on that right side until Davis came back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Mike N Eich posted:

I guarantee if thats what they do, in 5 months, Bears fandom will be fine and chill and excited and stop gnashing their teeth so much. It sucks what's gone on with Fields, but the roster is moving in the right direction and I think Williams is a bad rear end prospect. Roll the dice.

Sure but the point is I’ve spent 15 offseasons squinting at the Bears trying to figure out if they’re good despite the fact that they keep losing games. At some point you are what your roster is. And they’re pretty bad right now, that’s it.

I don’t care who the QB is I’d like to see some playoff wins. I didn’t expect anything out of this season but we’re rapidly approaching the part of the rebuild where you’re supposed to be good and I have more question marks than not

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
If the return on fields is just a second then it's absolutely better to set up your smith/mahomes than just throw Williams or there too die

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

Niwrad posted:

He hired the offensive coordinator! Eberflus wanted to install the Green Bay offense here.

They either bring Fields back for his 3rd OC in 4 years. Or they draft a QB who will play 1 year under a lame duck coach and then have to learn a whole new system the following year. The franchise never ever learns.

Which is hilarious because Getsy interviewed for and didn't get the Green Bay OC job. That should have been a big red flag.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Niwrad posted:

They were one of the worst pass blocking lines in football and need to sign a G, C, and maybe LT (don't look at how bad Poles' OL signings have been). DJ Moore is terrific, but he's the only legit receiver on this team now. And we were told those things would be markedly better this season, yet the offense was just as bad (recurring theme over the last 30+ years).

Wins are all that matter. I don't give a gently caress about Gervon Dexter's pressure rate or whatever stat we're using to justify Poles knowing what he's doing. The context is this big, bad Bears defense couldn't even get the Packers to punt the ball once over 60 minutes. It's not nearly as good as some of you think.

Yeah, and with another year of development the hope is Dexter gets even better. I don't particularly care about specific rankings, but Dexter started to flash more and more, and showed signs of improvement.

The Packers offense has been the best offense in the goddamn league for the past like 6-7 weeks lol, that poo poo is going to happen. Matt LaFleur is making literally every loving defense he faces look like poo poo.

Regardless of them not punting, Bears held them to their lowest point total since October.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

GNU Order posted:

Sure but the point is I’ve spent 15 offseasons squinting at the Bears trying to figure out if they’re good despite the fact that they keep losing games. At some point you are what your roster is. And they’re pretty bad right now, that’s it.

I don’t care who the QB is I’d like to see some playoff wins. I didn’t expect anything out of this season but we’re rapidly approaching the part of the rebuild where you’re supposed to be good and I have more question marks than not

You beat the Seahawks in 2010-11. What more could you want?

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Here's the thing with Fields: he's not where he needs to be yet. Now if the Bears have a plan to get him from where he is now to where he needs to be to be a franchise quarterback, then great! Keep him. But the Bears don't have a plan, they're firing most of their offensive staff. With no clear idea how you might try and improve Fields, I don't see how you don't take the shot in the draft.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Dexo posted:

Regardless of them not punting, Bears held them to their lowest point total since October.

They averaged 7.2 yards per play and never had to punt. The reason they didn't score more was bad clock management, a missed kick, and Stephenson's helmet grazing the football when he was about to whiff on a tackle.

I just don't know any possible scenario where that performance was good. The Packers did whatever they wanted all afternoon.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

GNU Order posted:

That's the Beauty, it will show itself on the field next year. They set the expectations as making the playoffs for next year.

I don't think any sane person not wishcasting a Fields MVP year expected them to win more than 7-9.

Next year they showed they can at least field a decent to good defense. They are gonna be in the 3rd year of a rebuild, which is the year that you have to show that you have built a team that can make the playoffs.

They have the cap space to address the holes on offensive line, and defensive line. In a much better OL and DL Free agency year, than last year.

It's on Poles to actually do the drat thing.

Niwrad posted:

They averaged 7.2 yards per play and never had to punt. The reason they didn't score more was bad clock management, a missed kick, and Stephenson's helmet grazing the football when he was about to whiff on a tackle.

I just don't know any possible scenario where that performance was good. The Packers did whatever they wanted all afternoon.

oh so now you look at stats and context lol

But yeah, I didn't mean to say I thought they had a "good" game.

Just that I get people put outsized importance on the Packers games, but like sometimes you just get got. And they did indeed get got.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jan 11, 2024

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I don't think you needed to look at the box score on Sunday to see the Bears defense look incredibly bad all game.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

I watched most of the Bears Packers game and the Bears defense got rolled despite the score. Just completely out-coached with no answers.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

But yeah, taking an L against one of the hottest offenses in the league.

I'll say they loving embarrassed the poo poo out of the Lions. A very very good offense.

Think Flus should be fired, or retained, I just cannot imagine a world where you look at the Bears defense and don't think that they got extremely better, once Matt took over.

Just because you think someone should be fired(Like I think he should have) doesn't mean you have to completely poo poo on the things he legitimately did do well.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I'm not putting outsized importance on the Packers games (although being able to compete in the division seems important). Just that people put a lot of stock in them shutting down Josh Dobbs and Brian Hoyer when most of the teams with a pulse destroyed this vaunted defense.

The one Detroit game was cool (Detroit did put up 31 in the other) but it's the only example of this team looking competent against a competent offense. They had a really easy schedule and faced some horrendous QBs.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Don't ask for Kingsbury, Chicago. Just don't. He's Mike Leach school. He will run 8 plays.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Forrest on Fire posted:

Don't ask for Kingsbury, Chicago. Just don't. He's Mike Leach school. He will run 8 plays.

But his agent is Trace Armstrong. That's what's important here.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Niwrad posted:

I'm not putting outsized importance on the Packers games (although being able to compete in the division seems important). Just that people put a lot of stock in them shutting down Josh Dobbs and Brian Hoyer when most of the teams with a pulse destroyed this vaunted defense.

The one Detroit game was cool (Detroit did put up 31 in the other) but it's the only example of this team looking competent against a competent offense. They had a really easy schedule and faced some horrendous QBs.

The Browns offense was competent.

But yeah You can literally only play your schedule. That defense looked so so much better. Less Coverage Breaks, better communication, better playcalling.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Does anyone think we should take one of the top two ends or DTs at 9 over nabers/odunze?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Forrest on Fire posted:

I doubt they actually bring him in, it's probably gonna be like Reich or Bienemy, or maybe Pep Hamilton.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

trevorreznik posted:

Does anyone think we should take one of the top two ends or DTs at 9 over nabers/odunze?

The DE free agent market is shaping up to be a lot stronger than the WR market, and I like Nabers/Odunze way more than I like any of the d-linemen in the draft, so no.

The tough question is what happens if Nabers/Odunze both go before 9. I'd still probably target a WR, maybe try to trade down and go after Brian Thomas Jr. (or Keon Coleman if you're not worried about separation with him). But I'd also be chill with going after Latu/Turner/Verse/Newton if they're shaping up as BPA

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Dexo posted:

I doubt they actually bring him in, it's probably gonna be like Reich or Bienemy, or maybe Pep Hamilton.

Is Bienemy really an option? Doesn't he tend to tell people what they think? The McKaskies don't exactly like personalities.

Reich sounds like the most likely hire and is also the worst choice.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

trevorreznik posted:

If you can get Latu at 9 maaaybe, as this is a really really really loving deep WR class, but sorta only if they get a second rounder somehow.

Otherwise No.

I'd much rather just throw a bag at Burns, Danille Hunter(less of a bag because old), Allen for DE.

and like that one dude on the Ravens who's name I forget for DT.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I don't even necessarily think Reich is guaranteed to be bad in an OC role, but if they had the balls to be like "Don't worry, we found the guy who's gonna fix our offense and guide our new QB!" only to roll out the dude who just oversaw the Bryce Young disaster season, I don't know if I could deal with it.

(Also he would almost certainly be bad to boot)

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
Only 3.5 months until the draft, lol

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Reich has been fired twice in two years because his offenses were complete disasters. He’d be an awful hire.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Abugadu posted:

Only 3.5 months until the draft, lol

Nothing important is happening until then

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
I'm just looking forward to wading through a couple dozen posts daily about the Bears' coaching/QB situation until then, only to have the Bears do something unexpectedly terrible out of left field, like forget to submit the card in time at the draft or something.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

xbilkis posted:

I don't even necessarily think Reich is guaranteed to be bad in an OC role, but if they had the balls to be like "Don't worry, we found the guy who's gonna fix our offense and guide our new QB!" only to roll out the dude who just oversaw the Bryce Young disaster season, I don't know if I could deal with it.

(Also he would almost certainly be bad to boot)

I mean, he got his arm cut off by his owner, and had Bryce forced on him.

A QB who doesn't fit literally anything that Reich has historically liked to do. Who also like might just be bad.

I think Reich is not gonna be as poorly looked upon as an OC around the league because of that.

xbilkis posted:

The DE free agent market is shaping up to be a lot stronger than the WR market, and I like Nabers/Odunze way more than I like any of the d-linemen in the draft, so no.

The tough question is what happens if Nabers/Odunze both go before 9. I'd still probably target a WR, maybe try to trade down and go after Brian Thomas Jr. (or Keon Coleman if you're not worried about separation with him). But I'd also be chill with going after Latu/Turner/Verse/Newton if they're shaping up as BPA

I would be completely shocked if one of Nabers/Odunze don't make it to 9.

3 WR in the top 8 would be insane.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jan 11, 2024

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Dexo posted:

I'll say they loving embarrassed the poo poo out of the Lions. A very very good offense.

I just have to poke my head in here and say, when the Bears beat the Lions, they were missing their center and the Lions offense looked incredibly different every time Ragnow was not on the field.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Dexo posted:

Whoever hires Bieniemy be sure to put that second "i" in his last name when searching Twitter it's a good way to get more educated tweets about him

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Bears also held the Lions to like 14 points in the first game until the hell maw opened in the late 4th quarter.

Because the Bears decided to play Garbage time defense in non garbage time.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
https://twitter.com/packers/status/1745249666193866999?s=46&t=1CQDovfNQdFgtmRsheez_g

That's right

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Dexo posted:

I mean, he got his arm cut off by his owner, and had Bryce forced on him.

A QB who doesn't fit literally anything that Reich has historically liked to do. Who also like might just be bad.

I think Reich is not gonna be as poorly looked upon as an OC around the league because of that.

Matt Patricia got a DC job again. It’s almost impossible to ever fail badly enough to not get employed somewhere once you’ve been around for a while.

Reich is 62 is old and stubborn and he runs a system that’s 10 years out of date. Seems like one of the worst possible options to either try to fix Justin Fields or nurture a new QB. Just get a Shanavay guy and do what everyone else is doing. It works more often than it doesn’t.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Dexo posted:

The Browns offense was competent.

But yeah You can literally only play your schedule. That defense looked so so much better. Less Coverage Breaks, better communication, better playcalling.

Cleveland has had a bad offense this year and 38 year old Joe Flacco threw for like 400 yards against them in that game.

I feel like some fans are really stretching to find any reason to be happy about the Eberflus experience.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Reich is 62 is old and stubborn and he runs a system that’s 10 years out of date. Seems like one of the worst possible options to either try to fix Justin Fields or nurture a new QB. Just get a Shanavay guy and do what everyone else is doing. It works more often than it doesn’t.

What you described is precisely the guy the Bears would want. Already running a defense a decade behind the times, let's do the offense next.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Niwrad posted:

Cleveland has had a bad offense this year and 38 year old Joe Flacco threw for like 400 yards against them in that game.

I feel like some fans are really stretching to find any reason to be happy about the Eberflus experience.

lmao, they have like a top 10 offense this year. And Flacco has been playing well?

An 11-6 team.

Like I'm not particularly happy, but I'm not so goddamn lost in the cynicism mines that I'm making poo poo up to get madder and madder at.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I watched most of the Bears Packers game and the Bears defense got rolled despite the score. Just completely out-coached with no answers.

On Jayden Reed's first big play, Malik Heath was actually even deeper than Jayden. He was so wide rear end open he had to run back 15 yards to find someone to block and I thought he was gonna be flagged for it.

You could see Jordan recognize it briefly before throwing to Reed. Love saw Heath burning so wide open that his brain hitched, like he couldn't comprehend what he was seeing. He in fact refused to believe it, and hit Reed instead.

The Bears defense is so bad that it horsehoed back around to being good on that play. They played so bad that it tricked Love into thinking he was being baited or something, so he turned down a touchdown for a mere 40 yard gain. Unfortunately, I don't think that is sustainable as a system.

Grand Theft Autobot fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jan 11, 2024

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

MJeff posted:

I just have to poke my head in here and say, when the Bears beat the Lions, they were missing their center and the Lions offense looked incredibly different every time Ragnow was not on the field.

We need depth at center real bad

Ragnow only has so much dawg left in him before his toes and back fall apart

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Dexo posted:

lmao, they have like a top 10 offense this year. And Flacco has been playing well?

An 11-6 team.

Like I'm not particularly happy, but I'm not so goddamn lost in the cynicism mines that I'm making poo poo up to get madder and madder at.

I mean they're 28th in offensive DVOA. I think their 11-6 record has more to do with their elite defense.

It's not cynicism. Eberflus had some talent on defense and it was mediocre at best this season. There are probably hundreds of people who could get similar production from that squad.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Niwrad posted:

I mean they're 28th in offensive DVOA. I think their 11-6 record has more to do with their elite defense.

It's not cynicism. Eberflus had some talent on defense and it was mediocre at best this season. There are probably hundreds of people who could get similar production from that squad.

drat I don't care about PFF I just care about winz.

But yeah I stand corrected, I was just looking at Numbers only since Flacco showed up. My bad on that one.

But uh that Browns offense with Flacco has kinda been a monster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I'm not trying to say the Bears defense is bad. Just think people went a bit overboard when they clowned on Hoyer and Dobbs. It's above average with potential to be great if guys develop.

With that said, I don't think Eberflus did anything great on that side that another competent DC couldn't do. They more or less played to their talent level. Beat up the bums and got destroyed by any competently coached team with a decent QB.

I do think it was weird they didn't do more press coverage where both their cornerbacks excel. But system over player strengths is their mantra.