Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

hamas ftw
Nov 25, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

see?? i loving told you, the clathrate gun is going off as we speak. time to get your affairs in order and enjoy this last 'calm' period before everything goes to poo poo. just loving look at it! mid-2022 this graph started rising in a way it never has before, and since then it's only been accelerating. enjoy the coolest year of the rest of our lives :dukedog:

article]

quote:

Increases in bottom-water temperature at the landward limit of marine hydrate around continental margins, where vulnerable hydrate exists at or below the seabed, cause methane to vent into the ocean. However, this setting represents only ~3.5% of the global hydrate reservoir. The potential for methane from hydrate in deeper water to reach the atmosphere was considered negligible. Here we use three-dimensional (3D) seismic imagery to show that, on the Mauritanian margin, methane migrated at least 40 km below the base of the hydrate stability zone and vented through 23 pockmarks at the shelf break, probably during warmer Quaternary interglacials. We demonstrate that, under suitable circumstances, some of the 96.5% of methane bound in deeper water distal hydrates can reach the seafloor and vent into the ocean beyond the landward limit of marine hydrate. This reservoir should therefore be considered for estimating climate change-induced methane release during a warming world.
https://twitter.com/SamCarana/status/1739157091254939842?s=20

things aren't that bad... yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Makes clothes from pineapple fibers, vegan leather, renewable, etc.

*Fibers are mixed with resin created from petroleum...
:lol: :lol:

I'm vegan so I've tried pineapple "leather", and it is poo poo. I buy used leather now, so at least a new cow didn't have to die for it.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

hamas ftw posted:

see?? i loving told you, the clathrate gun is going off as we speak.

No it's not lol.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

goons will jerk off to the endtimes like it's no big deal

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

smoobles posted:

goons will jerk off to the endtimes like it's no big deal

hamas ftw
Nov 25, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

No it's not lol.

i'd love to be proven wrong but you can see the abrupt change in ocean temperature trends, right? we're already past 1.5C and getting close to 2C

maybe it'll just cool down again for some reason

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

No it's not lol.

ironically this is also the primary argument against pretty much every biosphere related problem.

Odonata
Nov 5, 2009
Nap Ghost
My area got a decent 6 - 8 inches of snow over the weekend. Winter at last!
Then yesterday we got heavy rains, and today its 50 out.
Now for the 2nd time in 6 months the 500 year flood plain behind my house is underwater. No worries.

Odonata
Nov 5, 2009
Nap Ghost
My son was disgusted by all the plastic trash flowing past us. I justed LOLed.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

hamas ftw posted:

i'd love to be proven wrong but you can see the abrupt change in ocean temperature trends, right? we're already past 1.5C and getting close to 2C

probably hunga tonga. arctic-news and sam carina are unhelpful venus-by-tuesday doomers

doesn't really matter though. even if it's a volcano or whatever that tips us over the edge, we're still responsible for leaning out over the cliff

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Odonata posted:

My son was disgusted by all the plastic trash flowing past us. I justed LOLed.
life is plastic, its fantastic. it is in your hair, it is everywhere. plasticnation, life is your damnation

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
*thinking really hard* what if... we made electric from tap

Microturbines can generate electricity from drinking water pipes
Water pipes offer a largely untapped source of renewable electricity that could provide 1.4 gigawatts of power in the US alone

quote:

This type of “in-conduit” hydropower already supplies around 530 megawatts of generation capacity in the US, according to a 2022 study by researchers at Oak Ridge National Laboratory in Tennessee. If such systems were installed at all potential sites in the country, the study estimated this could provide at least 1.41 gigawatts of additional capacity – equivalent to around 450 onshore wind turbines – without requiring any large new infrastructure to be built.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.

hamas ftw posted:

see?? i loving told you

drat... it's like a message from the future... :wth:

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

what if we use electricity to pump the water high up to generate "water pressure" then use some sort of "hydro electric" generation device to turn that into power again :thunk:

e; lol we can't even get pipes that aren't made of poison

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Microplastics posted:

Water pipes offer a largely untapped source of renewable electricity that could provide 1.4 gigawatts of power in the US alone

those sorts of hydro systems are pretty cool conceptually, effectively just reducing the electricity costs of providing tap water.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

Just had a nightmarish thought... there's probably microplastics in my truck's oil, fuel tank, radiator, wiper fluid... the poo poo is just everywhere, man :ohdear:

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
oh ah ah ah ah

https://twitter.com/Climatologist49/status/1745178095190180021

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

You can show me all the graphs you want, I will never be able to interpret them correctly :smug:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Microplastics posted:

the way water distribution works is through hydraulic head. water is usually stored at a high head (think bernoulli principle) such as a tank and the differential drives the conveyance of water. however, often pressures are unevenly distributed in a network and can be too high and need to be retarded with pressure reducing valves, or sometimes too low, or often from transfering from one pressure zone to another. instead of using a rate control station or regulator, some of that driven through the hydraulic head could be converted to energy instead of dissipated

it's really just an slightly more expensive to replacing a regulator facility and mostly just provide small offset to pumping stations. not really a grid generation.

space chandeliers
Apr 8, 2008

Xaris posted:

mostly just provide small offset to pumping stations. not really a grid generation.

i think you mean "climate change: solved"

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

how useful are these models this far in advance though

it'll probably be much worse than that, is what im sayin

Griz
May 21, 2001

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

For the first time, they counted and identified these minute particles in bottled water. They found that on average, a liter contained some 240,000 detectable plastic fragments—10 to 100 times greater than previous estimates, which were based mainly on larger sizes

my parents have been buying bottled water by the pallet for the past 5 years since the city water works has a 15 year timeline to replace all the old lead service lines

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Lol, gently caress Iowa in particular.

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

how many code ufb's is that?

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

eat poo poo, corn

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

Griz posted:

my parents have been buying bottled water by the pallet for the past 5 years since the city water works has a 15 year timeline to replace all the old lead service lines

lead might be safer ymmv

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

nice, Hawaii is normal temp. my climate change bastion remains unaffected.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Rectal Death Alert posted:

eat poo poo world

:hmmyes:

Jizzny Princess
Aug 24, 2021

WHILE YOU WERE LEARNING TO SPELL YOUR NAME,
I WAS BEING TRAINED TO CONQUER GALAXIES
UwU
https://twitter.com/accuweather/status/1745160911378129005

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

don't we like

use a lot of corn

Pink Mist
Sep 28, 2021

I guess that’s what Miami will look like in a decade.

netizen
Jun 25, 2023

cash crab posted:

don't we like

use a lot of corn

Your av reminds me I went for a walk last night and saw a couple raccoons chilling in somebody's yard. I've lived here my entire life and never seen a raccoon. Maybe in a couple years I'll start seeing deer and maybe a bear!

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

cash crab posted:

don't we like

use a lot of corn

I mean I think that we use some but how often do you just go and buy a can of corn? or eat cornbread? I'm sure that there's no real widespread use of corn in modern society

e: gently caress is there a corn free alternative for corndogs? asking for a friend

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

hamas ftw posted:

You posted spot readings from one site without any consideration of the sort of variability these individual sites have. It's meaningless. Methane continues to increase to unprecedented levels, it doesn't explain the recent SST increases. This graph doesn't do anything special when global SSTs began diverging:

The clathrates are still there ready to pop off.

Just because we're barreling down the path toward eradicating most multicellular life from the planet doesn't mean that every Guy Mcpherson-tier claim of made up poo poo is true.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

You posted spot readings from one site without any consideration of the sort of variability these individual sites have. It's meaningless. Methane continues to increase to unprecedented levels, it doesn't explain the recent SST increases. This graph doesn't do anything special when global SSTs began diverging:

The clathrates are still there ready to pop off.

Just because we're barreling down the path toward eradicating most multicellular life from the planet doesn't mean that every Guy Mcpherson-tier claim of made up poo poo is true.

so, it's not that bad yet?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Xaris posted:

it's really just an slightly more expensive to replacing a regulator facility and mostly just provide small offset to pumping stations. not really a grid generation.

What if we install little turbines at the bottom of urinals?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

TeenageArchipelago posted:

e: gently caress is there a corn free alternative for corndogs? asking for a friend

korean corndogs are the superior form of batter-covered meat trimmings and should be made without corn.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
lol on solar: already saving my old man 10K vs first guys who were clearly higher priced to pocket the equivalent of the tax incentive ftw.

America b*tch :911:

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

TeenageArchipelago posted:

I mean I think that we use some but how often do you just go and buy a can of corn? or eat cornbread? I'm sure that there's no real widespread use of corn in modern society

i am not kidding when i say i am the spectrum and so i can't tell if this is a joke or not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
clathrate machine gun