Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
I hope Alabama hires Oregon Man because I want only for Big Ten teams to become worse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
Surely Bama already has their guy. Why would Saban just gently caress off without making sure Bama has a replacement lined up

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Adun posted:

Surely Bama already has their guy. Why would Saban just gently caress off without making sure Bama has a replacement lined up

It's Kiffin.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Adun posted:

Tbqh probably because his wife told him to

Azrial
Apr 26, 2002

Coach, how did we beat Tennessee this year? The same way Vanderbilt did.

Raku posted:

It was Peewee.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Relentlessboredomm posted:

I don't! Having two historic coaches doesn't mean its a place some dipshit NFL QB coach can just plug and play (like Day at OSU) nor does it have the natural recruiting advantages or money the others have

Yeah, Alabama is a small and poor state that doesn't have an insanely rich donor base flowing from an industry that pumps out insanely rich people, but they're also an institution in the sport and arguably the most recognizable college football program. Gonna be interesting to see what wins out here -- historical precedent (decades upon decades of success) or capitalist realities (made all the more imperative in the NIL era).

RumbleFish fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jan 11, 2024

Tagesreste
Jan 21, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

A Buffer Gay Dude posted:

But pretend it’s a purple “W” not a U

That's a military plane designation, thank god.

This plane is currently in Europe:

https://www.flightaware.com/live/flight/ZH101

Tagesreste fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jan 11, 2024

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
oregon to alabama is like, a horizontal move right? i understand recency bias and all but i dont get it

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Raku posted:

Fair, I would imagine for a guy like Saban the only thing that could make him stop would be something with his wife or his kids

And fair play either way. He’s the greatest to ever do it, even if Keith Traylor got his rear end

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Canned Sunshine posted:

Hopefully it is just that he's tired of it all and doesn't like where the landscape is going, and while I'm happy that Saban won't be at Alabama, part of me is worried that it's for something else, like a medical reason.

Didn't Paterno retire and then died like weeks/months later? (though in his case, rest in piss)

The Bear was cold in the ground within 3 weeks of his last coached game.

Warbird fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jan 11, 2024

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Warbird posted:

The Bear was cold in the ground with 3 weeks of his last coached game.

Vaxxed??

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Victorious Radia posted:

oregon to alabama is like, a horizontal move right? i understand recency bias and all but i dont get it

SEC, it just means more

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

RumbleFish posted:

Yeah, Alabama is a small and poor state that doesn't have an insanely rich donor base flowing from an industry that pumps out insanely rich people, but they're also an institution in the sport and arguably the most recognizable college football program. Gonna be interesting to see what wins out here -- historical precedent or capitalist realities (made all the more imperative in the NIL era).

Historical precedent is that Alabama won 1 natty in the 25 years in between getting the best coach of their generation.

Raku posted:

From all the stories about his wife, she seems more likely to be "you ain't gonna retire until you make sure the boys are all taken care of" type.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Canned Sunshine posted:

Didn't Paterno retire and then died like weeks/months later? (though in his case, rest in piss)

Ten weeks. He was diagnosed with lung cancer literally two days after he was fired. A month to the day later, he fell and broke his pelvis. Slightly a month later (January 13, which was a Friday and definitely ruined a weekend), he went to the hospital because he was not responding to the chemo and died nine days later.

I don't think it can be attributed to the "old man stops working and immediately dies" phenomenon.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Victorious Radia posted:

Alabama is in much more fertile recruiting territory and has basically endless institutional support. It’s a better job even ignoring the fact that it’s the most successful program in history.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Relentlessboredomm posted:

I mean the odds are certainly against them. They basically need almost instantaneous success in order for the fanbase/boosters to not go loving feral after having such a prolonged stretch of dominance. On top of that Bama has already started slipping into 2nd behind UGA the last few years and LSU has started getting scary again. Add in more decent opponents coming into the conference and the need to win multiple playoff games even if you get there and yea, it's not gonna be an easy place to win.

Bama also doesn't have the absolutely insane institutional advantages that like OSU, Texas, or even USC has. It's not a constantly de facto powerhouse regardless of results. They're closer to Tennessee where they're always gonna be in the mix and they've got a lot of dedicated alums/boosters but its not a given that they're just one decent coach away from perennial contender.

oh, I know. Its basically an impossibility. Still, I'm quite traumatized by those fuckers.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

Victorious Radia posted:

It’s just about money. If Oregon ponies up, he’ll stay there

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Sash! posted:

Ten weeks. He was diagnosed with lung cancer literally two days after he was fired. A month to the day later, he fell and broke his pelvis. Slightly a month later (January 13, which was a Friday and definitely ruined a weekend), he went to the hospital because he was not responding to the chemo and died nine days later.

I don't think it can be attributed to the "old man stops working and immediately dies" phenomenon.

it didn't happen slow enough

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I wouldn’t entirely rule out the medical bit. The man does dip and that will catch up to you eventually. I think it’s far more likely that what we’ve been told is the fact of the matter though.

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011

Sash! posted:

I was led to believe it was a broken heart.

What's the O/U on Saban's replacement, like 2.5 years?

Azrial
Apr 26, 2002

Rectal Placenta posted:

I was led to believe it was a broken heart.

What's the O/U on Saban's replacement, like 2.5 years?

I would take the under.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Take the under like it was Iowa vs Iowa. The idiot they get may not survive the process.

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
Yeah, I feel that there's no way the new guy doesn't get eaten alive

Azrial
Apr 26, 2002

Warbird posted:

Take the under like it was Iowa vs Iowa. The idiot they get may not survive the process.

I mean they aren't going to hire Schiano. Love you Tennessee.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

I'm taking the over because I think Bama is going to make their next coach the highest paid in college football by 20-25% and pull a big time name.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Komet posted:

I'm taking the over because I think Bama is going to make their next coach the highest paid in college football by 20-25% and pull a big time name.

id like to be the next alabama head coach

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

boys, i think we should go for it on 4th and 1 when behind by more than 3 points
[enjoying the raucous applause and chanting as we win against bowling green]

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Sash! posted:

I don't have a link to a study with hard numbers, but something like 5 out of 6 seniors who suffer major fractures or broken bones die with a year of it happening, from resulting complications that are basically unpreventable. This is also why I'm amazed Mitch McConnell made it past Christmas after his rib fracture last March, and why there's still a fairly good chance he may not make it past THIS March.

EDIT: I only bring that up because you said Paterno broke his pelvis. Did the break or complications thereof contribute to his death at all?

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jan 11, 2024

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Hell yeah Mike!

https://twitter.com/FSUFootball/status/1745285872734314499?t=fEbwjScwbdiODcAikuXySg&s=19

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Alabama needs another former Belichick assistant.

Josh McDaniels is available

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Is it possible to short Billy Napier?

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Alabama needs another former Belichick assistant.

Josh McDaniels is available

I legit think they get Vrabel. Don't really have a reason for it. Just a feeling.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

So what you're saying here is that the Bear Bryant award winner will parlay this into the Alabama job

Azrial
Apr 26, 2002

PostNouveau posted:

Is it possible to short Billy Napier?

I mean Mark Stoops should have better odds. That's so strange he and Dooley are on the list.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Technowrite posted:

Dead since 2020. Although, he may be spinning in his grave so quickly that there's a rift in the space-time continuum for him to travel through and die again after learning of this.

Like his spirit ever left. Who else could be Horace?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Yeah hiring a PAC-12 coach worked out really well for Bama historically

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Holy poo poo Saban. Between this and the 12 team playoff next year, really the end of an era. The goat.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Kloaked00 posted:

https://twitter.com/MorePerfectUS/status/1744792825894768785

Cross posting from the NFCN thread, but I can only assume Harbaugh is doing this because he truly thinks he’ll be back in the NFL next year, or because he’s utterly oblivious.

I prefer the latter, because I would deeply enjoy the irony if he didn’t have the awareness to not piss of the NCAA, leading them to thoroughly investigate the sign stealing stuff, ultimately leading to Harbaugh being responsible for both winning and then losing the same national championship

He’s still mad about the burgers and is willing to die on that hill now he won it all.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Dango Bango posted:

I legit think they get Vrabel. Don't really have a reason for it. Just a feeling.

Weird feeling. Vrabel has no connection to Bama, only spent 3 years coaching in college, has been in the NFL for a decade and will surely get NFL HC offers. Doesn’t really make sense for either side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

man i feel like ive been under a rock all day how did i miss this!! and carroll in seattle?