Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Elissimpark posted:

Ask Willie Nelson or Nick Cage.

Misread that as Nick Cave and was wondering WTF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."

Enderzero posted:

You gotta think Generationally
This is it. I think I saw Anthony Hopkins say something like this. That he had a long career that he is very proud of and now he just does things that his grandkids will enjoy and makes whatever more he can to give to them.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I refer to that as the Bison rule. Same thing Raul Julia did for street fighter. He knew the movie was going to be rear end but his kids were really happy about it, so regardless of being sick, he hopped on and single handedly saved the movie from the garbage pit.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."
And he loving cranked it to 11. You can really see how much fun he was having chewing the scenery so thoroughly, even through the sickness and pain.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Ommin posted:

And he loving cranked it to 11. You can really see how much fun he was having chewing the scenery so thoroughly, even through the sickness and pain.

No matter how big of a trashfire of a production that movie was, god bless everyone involved and also their cocaine supplier for giving Raul Julia the space to have that kind of fun.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I refer to that as the Bison rule. Same thing Raul Julia did for street fighter. He knew the movie was going to be rear end but his kids were really happy about it, so regardless of being sick, he hopped on and single handedly saved the movie from the garbage pit.

You gotta use every part of the bison.

spookykid has a new favorite as of 08:37 on Jan 11, 2024

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Grendels Dad posted:

No matter how big of a trashfire of a production that movie was, god bless everyone involved and also their cocaine supplier for giving Raul Julia the space to have that kind of fun.

Those poor bastards. Trying to make a movie with 4 Street Fighter characters and then Capcom calls you and says 'We want at least 15 characters.' And the movie's like 90 minutes long.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

I always wondered if they filmed any Fei Long stuff because otherwise he was the only super street fighter 2 character missing, right? I mean if you toss in a turbo there's also Akuma.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Also it was reusing a script for a GI Joe movie. To be fair, you barely need to change anything.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

theironjef posted:

I always wondered if they filmed any Fei Long stuff because otherwise he was the only super street fighter 2 character missing, right? I mean if you toss in a turbo there's also Akuma.

They were already struggling with the amount of characters they had to put in the movie, I would not be surprised if Fei Long had to be replaced to make up for the addition of an actor that the game dev studio wanted.

(It's also harder to insert a character whose entire identity is basically a tribute to Bruce Lee.)

While Mann waited, Capcom decided that — separate from the film's casting team — the Japanese actor Kenya Sawada would play the role of Ryu. Sawada had already played a Ryu-like character in Japanese commercials.

According to de Souza, Sawada was a safe, familiar choice for Capcom. But de Souza wanted the role of Ryu to have a sense of humor, someone with comic timing, someone with better English skills. The first time director only had one bargaining chip: to add another role.

No Street Fighter characters remained who fit what Capcom wanted, essentially another Ryu. So the game publisher and the beaten-down screenwriter created a new character from whole cloth: Captain Sawada. Because of the actor's poor English-speaking skills, Sawada's would be the only role dubbed in the U.S. release.

https://www.polygon.com/features/2014/3/10/5451014/street-fighter-the-movie-what-went-wrong

That's a good article if you want to know more about the creation of Street Fighter: The Movie.

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 10:42 on Jan 11, 2024

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
I don't like how the Pirates of the Caribbean movies made Davy Jones the Flying Dutchman just because that's about as Welsh a name as you could come up with.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Dai Jones

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Nameless Pete posted:

I don't like how the Pirates of the Caribbean movies made Davy Jones the Flying Dutchman just because that's about as Welsh a name as you could come up with.

Diederik Janzoon didn't test well with focus groups.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
i remember reading somewhere that Bruce Willis charges something like a million a day, so those crap movies pay him for a day, shoot all his scenes, then do the rest of the movie. I mean for a big name, it works, even if you know the movie is gonna be crap, people will buy it.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Bruce Willis was likely unaware of what was going on in those films over the last few years. His dementia and aphasia was bad enough that he was wearing an earpiece and being fed his lines, and would only work maybe a day or two for ten minutes of screen time so they could put him on the poster.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I remember they were calling that genre of movies 'geezer teasers' starring ageing stars for five minutes and probably only boomers are credulous enough to believe they're genuinely playing a major role.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Breach aka Anti-Life was the only one of those I saw.
Love me a low budget sci-fi horror, but that was just lazy dreck, devoid of charm

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Bruce Willis was likely unaware of what was going on in those films over the last few years. His dementia and aphasia was bad enough that he was wearing an earpiece and being fed his lines, and would only work maybe a day or two for ten minutes of screen time so they could put him on the poster.

King poo poo

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Screen Junkies just did a video on Rebel Moon which a lot of people have been ragging on lately as a terrible Star Wars knockoff.

But what

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

lol never watch an Alien movie

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Screen Junkies just did a video on Rebel Moon which a lot of people have been ragging on lately as a terrible Star Wars knockoff.

But what

Space: The Final ***tier.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Torquemada posted:

Space: The Final ***tier.

To boldly come where no man has come before!

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

In space, no one can hear you cream.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Megillah Gorilla posted:

But what

It's barely even a star wars knockoff, it's closer to a 40k knockoff but yeah the FTL effect is a little odd

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

That's what God needs with a starship

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Wilhelm scream, animal roars coming from animals that do not loving roar, people chewing food with almost orgasmic sounds, I can handle all of that. I want to vomit like some 6 year old decrying how icky the other gender is almost every loving time people kiss in movies because it's so goddamn loud.

It's never one kiss, it's always several and they just remind me of someone yanking a suction cup off something wet.

IIMM: I loved Street Fighter except what they did to Blanka. How could they massacre my boy like that?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I like when sharks roar in movies it rules actually.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Cowslips Warren posted:

Wilhelm scream, animal roars coming from animals that do not loving roar, people chewing food with almost orgasmic sounds, I can handle all of that. I want to vomit like some 6 year old decrying how icky the other gender is almost every loving time people kiss in movies because it's so goddamn loud.

It's never one kiss, it's always several and they just remind me of someone yanking a suction cup off something wet.

IIMM: I loved Street Fighter except what they did to Blanka. How could they massacre my boy like that?

Every bird of prey is a red tailed hawk. Also there's a kookaburra in every jungle.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

maybeadracula posted:

It's barely even a star wars knockoff, it's closer to a 40k knockoff but yeah the FTL effect is a little odd

Yeah, not getting the star wars connection honestly. A lady has some glowing swords and that's about it. Its seven samurai in space, but lovely.

Armacham posted:

Every bird of prey is a red tailed hawk. Also there's a kookaburra in every jungle.

The kookaburra bothers me a lot because they could use like an oropendola or a tinamou or something. They sound weird as poo poo and actually live in the jungle!

800peepee51doodoo has a new favorite as of 02:30 on Jan 12, 2024

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
I just want to know what's happening with the code six on 105 North Avenue. You'd think the cops would have dealt with it by now.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Yeah, not getting the star wars connection honestly. A lady has some glowing swords and that's about it. Its seven samurai in space, but lovely.

The robot is vaguely Star wars like if you squint from across the street through a screen door

The biggest difference honestly is that Star Wars has style and a sense of place. Rebel Moon is the most generic poo poo ever

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Nameless Pete posted:

The *ship* is the Flying Dutchman.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Cowslips Warren posted:

Same and it's worse because the actors rarely kiss, just touch lips together. Maybe the audio is over the top to distract from that.

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?

quote:

Snyder then pitched it as a Star Wars film to Lucasfilm, shortly after its sale to The Walt Disney Company in 2012.[19] He also pitched his idea as both a video game and a film to Warner Bros. Pictures "a couple of times".[20] The project was at one point planned as an original television series by Snyder and producer Eric Newman, before pitching it as a film to Netflix.[5]

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

HopperUK posted:

It's actually the Flying Dutchman's monster.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Megillah Gorilla posted:

But what

drat, having flashbacks to the TRANS SPACE thing from outer limits.

It's where the origin of all life is!

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

maybeadracula posted:

The biggest difference honestly is that Star Wars has style and a sense of place. Rebel Moon is the most generic poo poo ever

There's no coherent design aesthetic, the "worlds" all feel like single rooms in a warehouse, the characters barely interact with each other, nothing feels alive or like it has any existence beyond when the camera is pointed at it. Its utterly baffling that this was a movie made by people who have previously made huge blockbuster hits and are nominally professional filmmakers. Its crazy.

ccubed posted:

Snyder then pitched it as a Star Wars film to Lucasfilm, shortly after its sale to The Walt Disney Company in 2012.[19] He also pitched his idea as both a video game and a film to Warner Bros. Pictures "a couple of times".[20] The project was at one point planned as an original television series by Snyder and producer Eric Newman, before pitching it as a film to Netflix.[5]

Right, but the movie he made doesn't actually look or feel like a star wars movie. Which might be why Disney turned it down

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

HopperUK posted:

Well then I'm mad at SpongeBob for making the Flying Dutchman a guy and causing further confusion for me down the line.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

800peepee51doodoo posted:

There's something about the styling in its promotion. I haven't seen it and the only reason I know it exists (outside this thread) is that I saw a mass of posters in a major train station in Melbourne while there on a day trip. I looked at them in passing, went "ugh, more Star Wars poo poo" in my head and walked on.

I was very surprised to learn that it's not Star Wars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Nameless Pete posted:

I just want to know what's happening with the code six on 105 North Avenue. You'd think the cops would have dealt with it by now.
Code 6 means the cops are on the scene so maybe 105 North Avenue is a donut shop.